• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Minsc-

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ep 12

Excellent episode. I really enjoyed Shima as navigator and then that turning into a really pleasing Kodai Shima affair. Whole thing really worked to develop them separately with those silly elementary tasks to clean the ship to a really awesome finish for them. Both easily my favorite characters among the cast. Really these episodes focusing on the cast and their interactions makes everyone feel somewhat important.

Garmillan stuff was rather compelling. The new commander, the hunter of sorts, seems like he'd really get the job done and won't be a pushover like the previous ones within our solar system. The Milky Way Theatre is heating up and the preview for 13 looks incredible.

I hope a site like Crunchyroll eventually picks this show up. It appears it would be great to help fill the void left by the absence of sci-fi shows like Star Trek Babylon 5.

stryke

So they finally noticed.

Before
MYPBwZc.jpg

After
DBZ-Battle-of-Gods-01.jpg

Narag

It's not. It's even dumber too. The timing means nothing too. All the answers are open from the start. Ie you can start the game and throw random anime to get points.

haha i was doing that, guessing the wrong show, and getting credit for something earlier

Narag

14/100. pretty good for me given there was nary an 80s show on there.

looking at the answers, i would have scored a 16/100 if i answered everything i'd watched correctly!!!!!

Theonik

haha i was doing that, guessing the wrong show, and getting credit for something earlier
I was getting credit for later things too.
"Hmmm this screemo trash sounds like show x, oh show x shows up later figures"

Whatever you beyond cheeky chap. We have people from Timbuktu here so you have no excuse!!! Anime related post SAO is super stupid! !!!!!!!!!!1
Just make sure the alcohol in your system doesn't make you end up with more waifus than you can support.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It would take all the alcohol in the world for me to defy 2d. Anime related: Gintama continues. Bless the lord!!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 13:

This episode is emblematic of how this season has been dumbed down and any sort of appeal to the periphery demographic has been completely excised and replaced with copious amounts of simplistic moralizing for small children, all of which is achieved primarily through the complete mental regression of the characters. It was seriously an episode about Nagisa learning the importance of obedience after catching a cold because she refused to wear a coat when her mother asked her to. I SHIT YOU NOT. What's even worse is that the episode couldn't even convey a very simple moral about actions and consequences without tripping all over itself because none of Nagisa's friends are wearing winter clothes either yet none of them get sick in spite of exercising the very same poor judgment. This fucking show.

also, poor Japan
There's also that thing called the germ theory of disease.

No, since this movie is set after the Buu saga for some reason they made the mistake of Gohan turning super saiyan when in fact he doesn't do that anymore after that whole elder kai deal.
waoh ..it's been a while ..care to remind me what happenned ? Why can't gohan transform anymore ? i remember that he trained to be stronger without transformation , but i don't remember that he can't go super sayan anymore ?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There's also that thing called the germ theory of disease.

Even people who don't understand the nature of body temperature and immune resistance still see a correlation between being cold and getting sick, and I assume that parents who do understand still probably dumb it down to "cold = sickness" for their kids anyway so I'm not bothered that they chose to depict it like that.

What's truly stupid in anime is how people immediately show signs of illness (usually sneezing) mere moments after being exposed to something that compromises their immune system. Extra points if it's just water when the air temperature is still warm.

Shergal

waoh ..it's been a while ..care to remind me what happenned ? Why can't gohan transform anymore ? i remember that he trained to be stronger without transformation , but i don't remember that he can't go super sayan anymore ?

IIRC it's not that he can't transform, but transforming would make him weaker and more easily tired since he would be expending more energy. What the Kai did was "unlocking his whole potential" or some deus ex machina bullshit along those lines, so he didn't need "power-ups" anymore.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER Shiny Festa 1

Okay, so these episodes do take place after the end of the main series. The first one focuses on
Ami, Mami, Hibiki, Yayoi, and Iori going to an island resort to perform. Then Iori loses Charles and they all go and look for him (including Yayoi's siblings, whom Iori invited along).
There's a couple of really good songs in this episode, too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chihayafuru S2 08:

Way to hammer home that those gaijins are unequals by writing that conciliatory message to them in English even though they just told you they're native Japanese speakers.

cajunator

Banned
Like most people watching it in this thread are saying it's pretty similar to Fresh in a lot of ways with bits of the others shoved into the mix, like Sword having a similar role to Heartcatch's Cure Moonlight initially. There's a whole lot of Fresh in there though. Although I've yet to see a Precure that loves leaving hooks for the next episode to pick up from as much as Dokidoki does.

ok that sounds alright.
I want to watch fresh eventually.

ill give it a watch later and see if I can guess them.

Jintor

score isn't high enough to weeaboo your way out. you're actually low enough you can still escape

I actually haven't watched almost all of the shows on there, and the ones I did watch I got. (except Lain because I watched that when I was, I don't know, 15 and drunk)

Jintor

I think I read about half the manga. It's alright.

I'm going to start watching Gintama. Based Crunchyroll and making it easy for me to decide "Hey, I want to do this, let's do it"

Based Tomokazu Sugita.

/edit based Kugimiya Rie

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chihayafuru S2 09:

Uhh, this episode's whole scenario felt really out of character for Arata. He's never exactly been one to live dangerously, so this was a ridiculous contrivance to
keep him out of the individual tournament

i got 31 and i missed some obvious but weren't in my mind when the song was playing

i missed those :
-excel saga
-bleach
-GTO
-Lain
-last exile
-crest of the stars
-niea_7
-those who hunt elves

But this quiz is impossible to complete because one of the expected answers is "da crapo" when of course the name of the anime is "da capo"

IIRC it's not that he can't transform, but transforming would make him weaker and more easily tired since he would be expending more energy. What the Kai did was "unlocking his whole potential" or some deus ex machina bullshit along those lines, so he didn't need "power-ups" anymore.

oh yeah , now i remember the deus ex machina mode that lasted 1 episode before he got captured.

Theonik

I got 20 but felt really cheated because it didn't reward me with some of my fidings. Though I will be honest at least half of those answers I guessed merely based on the fact, of hey look at these choices, it's basically Generic anime 101, type some generic anime names that would get nostalgia votes and sure enough that was right 80% of the guesses.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I got 20 but felt really cheated because it didn't reward me with some of my fidings. Though I will be honest at least half of those answers I guessed merely based on the fact, of hey look at these choices, it's basically Generic anime 101, type some generic anime names that would get nostalgia votes and sure enough that was right 80% of the guesses.

Can you really accurately describe something as "generic" (whatever that means in this context) if you haven't seen it?

Theonik

Can you really accurately describe something as "generic" (whatever that means in this context) if you haven't seen it?
I guess the point I was trying to make was against the people composing the quiz more than the shows themselves because you can clearly draw a pattern from some of those shows and identify them. As for generic shows, that is levied more towards shows I guessed but had no recollection of whatsoever let alone of their OPs.
I also suspect that whoever made this used the MAL top anime list to get some of these too.
I suppose my original comment came off a bit nastier than I intended.

Articalys

Don't like how Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo is being directed? Go to Sakura-Con and tell the director herself:
The organizers for Seattle's Sakura-Con convention have announced that director and animator Atsuko Ishizuka will appear at the March 29-31 event.

Ishizuka has worked on a number of titles at animation studio MADHOUSE since she joined the staff in 2004. She has directed episodes of Chihayafuru, Maple Story, NANA, and Top Secret ~The Revelation~. As series director, she helmed Supernatural: The Anime Series and most recently, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou.

Nafe

Love Live 09

Oh, and a bonus just for SDBurton
TFV9fYZ.jpg

Haha.
Nozomi=Chet
Kotori=?
Cameraman/Audience=SDBurton

The most badass fairy ;_;

And I found 1 preowned Sunshine

A pre-owned Cure Sunshine costs about 6400 yen? This is why I don't buy these kinds of things.

Route 20: Galactic Airport Pilot Film (R20: Ginga Kuukou)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/r20.pnghttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/r20a.pnghttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/r20b.png

A pilot film for an unmade Gainax anime that was planned to follow their first movie, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. However, Wings of Honneamise failed at the box office, and with the recent collapse of the Japanese asset price bubble, no company was willing to fund it.

A short manga by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki named Route 20 was derived from the original project and published some time later.
Source: AniDB

I remember watching this several years ago and reading the manga by Sadamoto (it wasn't bad!) almost immediately afterwards due to just how awesome this Pilot was. The various bits of absolutely stunning art used throughout the clip really do a great job of conveying this great sense of oppression and decay and the bits of animated footage definitely showed potential too. It also serves as a nice little music video to The Doors' Crystal Ship. A real shame nothing ever came of this outside of the earlier mentioned manga. :(

Thanks for making me aware of this. I'll have to give it a look sometime in the future.

Tamako Market 09

How very lewd! Blob for the blob gods. This show continues to impress. I would like to address Nafe's post here now having seen it.
I think the reason why Tamako's father reacted as he did was the Mochi day connection, the show did show us that they met on such a day before for that reason I guess and I think it was handled in a suitably melancholic manner or at least I enjoyed it and found its presentation pretty great and not really a plot-hole per say.

Okay, I just saw this. Thanks for your response as well Theonik. I wondered if it had to do with Mochi Day but I guess I was wondering why this Mochi Day in particular. I couldn't remember
the exact time frame since Tamako an An's mother had passed away so I figured he would have sang the song before, giving Tamako a few opportunities to hear it.
I though of it and it could be as Shergal mentioned, in that maybe he did but Tamako just only happened to hear it this time. The show is vague enough that that could work even if it's maybe not the most satisfying of answers. I still thought it was a good episode regardless.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Even people who don't understand the nature of body temperature and immune resistance still see a correlation between being cold and getting sick, and I assume that parents who do understand still probably dumb it down to "cold = sickness" for their kids anyway so I'm not bothered that they chose to depict it like that.
Except the importance of cold weather on immune response is highly overrated if not erroneous entirely. While it is true that hypothermia injures immune response, the data on whether exposure to cold air does the same is conflicting at best. Additional factors to consider are human behavior during cold weather in temperate zones or wet seasons in tropical zones and the impact of air conditions on virus survivability and transmission.

Articalys

AKB0048 Next Stage 10

Probably the most boring episode of the season so far. Thankfully the ending sets up what should be a great last three episodes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dammit. When I woke up today I had two episodes of iM@S to go. I've watched four episodes, and I still have two episodes to go.

DAMN YOU OVA EPISODES I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL A COUPLE HOURS AGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom