• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 9-

I would have taken a 3rd season of Spice and Wolf over this. The whole point was to handle the situation in a quiet manner but its blown up now.
No.. the whole point was to reach the situation across the hill .
Giving the scholar was a sacrifice they were forced to make because they didn't think.
The reason why it worked that way is because everyone realised that handling things quiety wasn't the right choice. After all they ( central ) went directly at the scholar because they wanted either direct conflict or submission. But submission is not ( and never was ) a valid option . "Give us the scholar because we said so" isn't the right answer and if conflict is unavoidable , then just go for it instead of being a serf for "central".

That was the point.
Handling thing quietly would have made them boring "serfs" because even the action of giving the scholar ( even if they planned to sae her afterwards ) would mean that they would have to discard everything she did for that country . ( potato , imprimery , various education and so on )

It's not that nobody listens, it's just that we're all dirty completionists.

...except I think not a single person currently running the Precure gauntlet has tried Yes 5 yet, so that's partially successful :lol It's still my ultimate goal to convince DTL to watch Yes 5 for Coco x Nuts, though.
There is something that might be possible to be done but it'll be very hard . Coco and nuts and very heavily shipped with nozomi and komachi in those 2 seasons .. even DTL can't ignore something almost "canon".
VirtualDubMod w/DirectShowSource avisynth plugin and VirtualDub. I can learn ya in the mystic ways if you want.

I'm trying to find better gif software myself, though, because my method doesn't work with hi10p, which is a pain in the ass.

i'm intrested to learn.

cajunator

Banned
Every single time you post an old series you watched, I am surprised that I am not the only one to have watched this long ago.

yeah. I wonder why Saint Tail doesn't get watched more.
it is super cute and really fun.
I guess because it is a little obscure and hard to find. I had to spend a small fortune and still ended up with a few slightly used discs of the series.

Jarmel

Banned
No.. the whole point was to reach the situation across the hill .
Giving the scholar was a sacrifice they were forced to make because they didn't think.
The reason why it worked that way is because everyone realised that handling things quiety wasn't the right choice. After all they ( central ) went directly at the scholar because they wanted either direct conflict or submission. But submission is not ( and never was ) a valid option . "Give us the scholar because we said so" isn't the right answer and if conflict is unavoidable , then just go for it instead of being a serf for "central".

That was the point.
Handling thing quietly would have made them boring "serfs" because even the action of giving the scholar ( even if they planned to sae her afterwards ) would mean that they would have to discard everything she did for that country . ( potato , imprimery , various education and so on )

That was something that she decided on her own without consulting anyone else. If the situation had gone FUBAR which it almost did, then the Scholar's cover would have been completely blown and her work gone. Not to mention, the Scholar now has a backstory that she's stuck with. When you're covering for a person, you do it in the most basic of details, being purposefully vague, so the person you're covering isn't stuck with a bunch of lies or backstory. This also obviously accelerates things to the point where the Scholar might have wanted to go at a slower pace. Again, this might have been fine if she consulted someone first. I'm also not a big fan of grand speeches after being tortured. Braveheart accomplished something much more effective with one word. The whole scene felt ridiculous in the sense that the Church representative was just standing there and letting her give the speech.

Ultimadrago

Don't mock the one true religion.

edisonk3p0d.png

Milamber

yeah. I wonder why Saint Tail doesn't get watched more.
it is super cute and really fun.
I guess because it is a little obscure and hard to find. I had to spend a small fortune and still ended up with a few slightly used discs of the series.

Heh, I got them all on old long play VHS tapes.

cajunator

Banned
Heh, I got them all on old long play VHS tapes.

I have it all. Most is in good condition except volume 5 which is a bit messed up but playable. but its a hard volume to find.
the back half is one single collection of 20 episodes or so. Its worth collecting imo if you can find it.
great nostalgia trip to a simpler time for anime.

sonicmj1

Adolescence Apocalypse isn't some necessary piece of the puzzle for understanding Utena, but it's definitely worth watching. Parts of it are absolutely unforgettable.

That was something that she decided on her own without consulting anyone else. If the situation had gone FUBAR which it almost did, then the Scholar's cover would have been completely blown and her work gone. Not to mention, the Scholar now has a backstory that she's stuck with. When you're covering for a person, you do it in the most basic of details, being purposefully vague, so the person you're covering isn't stuck with a bunch of lies or backstory. This also obviously accelerates things to the point where the Scholar might have wanted to go at a slower pace. Again, this might have been fine if she consulted someone first. I'm also not a big fan of grand speeches after being tortured. Braveheart accomplished something much more effective with one word. The whole scene felt ridiculous in the sense that the Church representative was just standing there and letting her give the speech.

The scholar is actually the demon lord is better as a backstory , maybe ? BY providing her this backstory , the image of the scholar is now closer than ever to the populace. At this point she doesn't need to appeal to the "nobles" since she has either :
-got their trust with results ( education, food )
-got nobles powerfull enough to back her ( winter king for example )

She would have been unable to provide any kind of reaction if she lied , so she told the truth. And besides she was already beaten before she even started to talk. She wouldn't have been able to get out without less injuries. The "give the scholar" plan was a failure from the start.

Also , there is no pace , no plan for this event , that's why everyone must have looked for a way to act. She is one of the 4 who studied under the scholar so she is not dumb.
If she died , it would have made little difference for the demon king plans except that she would be quite angry , maybe ??? Central would have been forced to retreat since they got what they wanted, and the DK would still be able to influence things behind the scenes.

Lastly , the church guys whipped her, she stood afterwards, told her to shut up , asked the attendance to throw rocks at her and then commanded his guards to kill her on the spot. I guess he really didn't do a thing that church guy....anyway like the winter king said that outcome might be something they expected all along otherwise why whip her in public when her ties with the populace and the winter king knows by everyone ?

Jarmel

Banned
The scholar is actually the demon lord is better as a backstory , maybe ? BY providing her this backstory , the image of the scholar is now closer than ever to the populace. At this point she doesn't need to appeal to the "nobles" since she has either :
-got their trust with results ( education, food )
-got nobles powerfull enough to back her ( winter king for example )

She would have been unable to provide any kind of reaction if she lied , so she told the truth. And besides she was already beaten before she even started to talk. She wouldn't have been able to get out without less injuries. The "give the scholar" plan was a failure from the start.

Also , there is no pace , no plan for this event , that's why everyone must have looked for a way to act. She is one of the 4 who studied under the scholar so she is not dumb.
If she died , it would have made little difference for the demon king plans except that she would be quite angry , maybe ??? Central would have been forced to retreat since they got what they wanted, and the DK would still be able to influence things behind the scenes.

Lastly , the church guys whipped her, she stood afterwards, told her to shut up , asked the attendance to throw rocks at her and then commanded his guards to kill her on the spot. I guess he really didn't do a thing that church guy....anyway like the winter king said that outcome might be something they expected all along otherwise why whip her in public when her ties with the populace and the winter king knows by everyone ?

If the whole thing is a trap to rile up the crowd, then all the better to keep your mouth shut on the part of the double if she is so knowledgeable. Either way, someone acted like an idiot whether it's the Church or the double. This again is something she should have talked with someone first. Does she know whether the Winter country can withstand a full fledged invasion by the Church? Was that part of the Scholar's,and I was stating Scholar earlier to spare people from spoilers, plan? What would have happened if they had actually stoned her then? Of course this being anime, everything worked out in the end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh fuck I just opened the Utena interview booklet that came with the box set for the first time and it starts with a dedication to the late Tomoko Kawakami (Utena's VA). My whole weekend is ruined now. :(

Branduil

everytime people say I don't like CGI, I remind them that CGI does have its place and has historical president:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMA22xJEcQ
(greatest intro of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yUmmnaXJU
(second greatest intro of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Wzppz0_0U
(most underrated intro when played in full)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aoEfPWXDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgccg8YY9Bg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9DwiyICQo
(The most emotional, all them feels son, all them feels.)

http://entertainment.click3x.com/en...cbs_sports_super_bowl_xlvii_animation_package.
http://www.bigstudios.com/project/super-bowl-xlvii-2013-opening-sequence-2
http://cakestudios.tv/project.php?p=101
(Modern day. Looks better, but they lost rigging ability)

Anime sure used to be different.

Is this some sort of weird euphomism for the cradle of life?

Someone hasn't experienced the enlightenment of a Kawamori anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
DokiDoki Precure! 06:

running series total Makoto's shitty idol song - 3

I saw Shiny Luminous in the credits and almost shit myself thinking that Max Heart had invaded DokiDoki for a second, but fortunately it's just the All Stars sizzle reel that they splice into the OP every March.

Anyway, not much to say about this episode. Apparently the key to having mostly on-model characters is for almost nothing to happen! They even all just stood around during the Jikochu fight this week :lol I'm past getting mad over how intensely stupid the "selfish thoughts" that summon the Jikochu are; I mean, I think they already hit rock bottom this week with the dude who got transformed into a giant pig beast just because he wanted a bite of omurice while he was still on the clock. After that, there's nothing to do but sit back and laugh at the absurdity.

What I am mad about is Sword's transformation. Boring. I mean, last week was riddled with QUALITY, everyone is just standing around talking this week, and yet the Cure with the best design gets the most stylistically-bankrupt transformation? Sasuga Toei.

WHOA FUCK @ Bel though. And SDBurton will be pleased at the franchise's first viable character x mascot yuri ship.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 26

Makes you wishes it was :wonzo instead.

So since the regular plot wasn't compelling enough, I guess we gotta have a tournament! And toss in yet another evil group. Cause the first one wasn't important enough I guess. And even more characters! Just keep adding stuff and maybe you'll blur out the crappy main characters.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's taken me a long time to get there, but in terms of visuals, at the least, it has grown to become one of my favorite animated movies of all time.
The way you word this it sounds like you didn't like the rest. I just watched it again a week ago and I can safely say its one of the best examples I've seen of an animated movie taking full advantage of the liberty that comes with the medium from a story telling perspective.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is there anything more ominous than hyping an anime with "Based on the Super Successful PSP game"?

"Based on the Super Successful Vita game", perhaps, because then you know without a doubt that they're lying to you outright.

Shergal

Hyouka 11.5 (Rewatch)
Yeah, this episode was much better than when I first watched it, which surprisingly wasn't too long ago since I watched it once actual HD was available.
This is a directorial debut in Kyoani for Rika Ota. So far she has only done four episodes for the studio: Hyouka 11.5 and 20, Chuuni 8 and Tamako 5. While I'm not too fond of her two entries into other series, her two Hyouka episodes are really something.

Little stuff I hadn't noticed before includes the emphasis put in how dominant Oreki's sister is, personality-wise. It ties into the rest of the stuff we knew about her, but it's nice seeing it live like that.
wa5zZ9F.jpg

Not just how they're portrayed in the screen, but also the nonchalant way in which she decides stuff for him looks like it's normal for their relationship. I get he was depressed this episode, but still.

Another thing that seemed pretty obvious to me this time around was that the mystery was fabricated. Either by the three of them or just Chitanda, but it's not something that appeared naturally, it was a deliberate attempt to liven Oreki up by his three friends. Chitanda for example doesn't even feel excited, and she doesn't seem to know what to say exactly when they're asking him about the "mystery". Then there's also the mystery in question, it seems like they knew beforehand that deduction would be involved. If the task was just looking around the pool, Satoshi wouldn't say it's "Oreki's area of expertise".

The clumsy attempts succeeds, aided by Chitanda's assets and the influence she has on Oreki (both due to them and due to all the other things). It was a really nice episode to conclude this part of Oreki's character arc.
I liked how understated most stuff felt; even if the script was very transparent in constantly pressuring you with its intent, it wasn't bothersome and the direction, particularly the economic use of BGM, underscored everything perfectly.
The change of place helped a lot to portray this, and we're also back to super backgrounds!
Besides those two and many other BGs, the episode was completely stunning. I think it's among the best animated episodes of the show, probably, along some others like 5, 12 and 21. Incidentally, it had to be Kyoani's ace Yukiko Horiguchi who directed the animation. But not only that, she also did key animation herself along Chise Kamoi (a very good animator in the studio) and more importantly Yoshiji Kigami, Kyoani's master animator. Chise Kamoi was on top of the list, so we are guaranteed good character animation, but Kigami was also pretty high up in there so he must have done a considerable amount of animation. The rad water effects are mostly his doing.
One thing I liked about the animation in this episode was the relatively little amount of typical Kyoani cliches in acting animation. For example, a lot of the times the characters will bounce in 2 or 3 frames when talking and not make any expression besides mouth-flapping. Other thing they always do is little movements of 1-2 frames at the mid-point or 3/4-point of the sentence to spice some stuff up, even if most of the shot is static; they also many times close up on the face and obscure some part with framing, giving much more impact to a very simple expression that wasn't very animated or substantial by itself.
This episode did little of that (Hyouka as a show already does very little of that compared to Chuu2 and Tamako Market, but here it was even less) and tried to use varied movements and timings for how the characters acted, as well as keeping the expressions fresh. Some scenes even were drawn a bit differently for emphasis, such as this shot:
Were the drawing draws the viewer's attention and lays on what Chitanda was probably thinking at the moment. It was a nice moment with the good drawings and quietness of the screen where just ambient sounds could be heard.

So yeah, this episode was very well-animated. I can't wait to watch episode 12 as that one was also really good.

Branduil

Well both the PV and some of the fans are hyping up Wit's involvement. Considering Wit is only for known for GC, yea it counts.

Putting aside what P I.G puts in their trailer to hype up their own studio, I imagine the percentage of people excited for the show because "it's made by the GC people!" as opposed to "it's an Attack on Titan anime!" is very small.

Jarmel

Banned
Putting aside what P I.G puts in their trailer to hype up their own studio, I imagine the percentage of people excited for the show because "it's made by the GC people!" as opposed to "it's an Attack on Titan anime!" is very small.

Well there is the implication that the production values in Guilty Crown were skyhigh and all that was lacking was solid writing.

It's also a joke.

Speaking of, there's a new scan out involving the main characters and not the key art from a couple of days ago.

Branduil

Well there is the implication that the production values in Guilty Crown were skyhigh and all that was lacking was solid writing.

It's also a joke.

Speaking of, there's a new scan out involving the main characters and not the key art from a couple of days ago.

Well if Attack on Titan ends up being bad, the real joke will be on all of us.

Jarmel

Banned
Btw are we allowed to post scans from anime magazines? I remember duckroll doing it but it's not allowed gaming side though.

Jarmel

Banned
Those kinda look like box cutter blades. You know, the kinds you break off. I wonder what's hanging from their belts though?

I think it's the diagonal lines that break the blades into segments that gives off that feeling. As for the stuff around their waist, I'm not that familiar with the franchise but it's a movement system using pistons(I think) that allows for increased mobility and agility. Spider-Man gear on crack in short.

Pooya

Persona Trinity Soul, is it worth watching? I remember watching 5-6 episodes of it ages ago and it was pretty eh. should I bother finishing it?

Shergal

I think it's the diagonal lines that break the blades into segments that gives off that feeling. As for the stuff around their waist, I'm not that familiar with the franchise but it's a movement system using pistons(I think) that allows for increased mobility and agility. Spider-Man gear on crack in short.

Wait, SnK has elements of simil-steampunk then? Can anyone confirm this? It might make me much more excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom