• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
But how will they solve the age-old question of where do you stick your penis?

I saw this doujin once where there was like uh.... a scale, that you lift up.

So mystery solved, I guess...

EDIT - you guys see where they put her bellybutton in that pic? It's like.. way below her waist, down on her pelvis. That's so fucked up and weird looking. It looks like she has double rib cages, now that I see it.

Kazzy

Hey, Gargantia could be pretty good. Even if you don't like CG mecha there's plenty of things to like about the design work on everything else, and the director is a bro.

Yes, I remember all the early design stuff being posted a while back. It looked good, certainly stuck with me.

It's just on first glance, everything else just looks so...generic. Granted, I know next to nothing about all these shows, but make an impression, something!

Milamber

5W16n6P.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gyrozetter 02:

Man, I love this show already just for tricking me into thinking for a moment that the cars were going to become mascot characters, complete with verbal tics :lol I breathed a monumental sigh of relief when it was just Rinne's brother messing with her. Cool bit of self-awareness.

Still........is this actually for kids? I mean, just in this episode we have Kakeru drooling over his teacher's cleavage and the teacher in a loose tank top complete with blatant underboob shot. No complaints here, but it's just so bizarre to see blatant fanservice on the level of a wee hours otaku anime in a show that's clearly pimping plastic shit and has a toyetic aesthetic.

I also normally hate newscaster/sportscaster narration of on-screen events in anime because it's redundant and insults the intelligence of anyone over the age of three, but Mic Man or whatever his name is is just so incredibly excitable, eccentric, and smug that I can't help but like his presence. Even the minor characters in this show are overflowing with personality and energy; considering how frequently he's on screen I wonder if he'll eventually be upgraded to having his own full subplot.

This show is a big injection of pure fun so far and more people need to watch it.

Shergal

Gargantia will depend on how much Murata is involved in the script/story as opposed to Urobuchi. Probably.

Also betting on the production values going to shit around ep. 10

wonzo

Banned
JOJO 22

jojo22.jpg

cleo_aiolos_corbeille_de_veil_6292.jpg

THE CLEO LIVES ON

it's going to be a surprise :(
A man can always hope for an early leak. :(

Gyrozetter 02:

Still........is this actually for kids? I mean, just in this episode we have Kakeru drooling over his teacher's cleavage and the teacher in a loose tank top complete with blatant underboob shot. No complaints here, but it's just so bizarre to see blatant fanservice on the level of a wee hours otaku anime in a show that's clearly pimping plastic shit and has a toyetic aesthetic.
It's pretty much an ad for the arcade game, much like most of the spinoff stuff for the franchise.

I also normally hate newscaster/sportscaster narration of on-screen events in anime because it's redundant and insults the intelligence of anyone over the age of three, but Mic Man or whatever his name is is just so incredibly excitable, eccentric, and smug that I can't help but like his presence. Even the minor characters in this show are overflowing with personality and energy; considering how frequently he's on screen I wonder if he'll eventually be upgraded to having his own full subplot.
I don't wanna spoil you or anything but I think you'll be very happy about how they handle that stuff.

This show is a big injection of pure fun so far and more people need to watch it.
This show can join the likes of Polar Bear's Cafe and BAKUMATSU GIJINDEN ROMAN as incredibly under-appreciated shows that far more people should watch. :(

Kazzy

Still........is this actually for kids?

In hindsight, I remember a lot of kids shows that I use to watch were fairly...questionable. Ah, the days of watching Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy! I even remember Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs sliding some stuff in there. We're probably talking about slightly different audiences, but still...

cajunator

Banned

EDIT - you guys see where they put her bellybutton in that pic? It's like.. way below her waist, down on her pelvis. That's so fucked up and weird looking. It looks like she has double rib cages, now that I see it.

yes, it looks really off.
like the artist has no idea about female anatomy.
that may very well be the case.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well they got a huge change of internal staff after a certain point ..they started working on splash star early and got to work on the 2nd max heart movie..they did manage to have a coherent chain of operations at some point in the middle of the max heart season .. i'll let you judge if they managed to salvage max heart or not.
I started skipping through episodes about halfway, then just skipped to the end to get it all over with and it was still lame.

The blades do break off, it's part of the design. The manga actually goes into intricate detail to explain the function and mechanics of their gear; I'm curious as to how they'll adapt the various postscript-type pages which explain important aspects of the Attack on Titan universe.

I doubt they even will. At most, we'll get some walls of text during eye catches.

Jex

[Cyber City Oedo 808] - 1

An extremely beautiful 1991 Madhouse OVA directed by Kawajiri that manages to be surprisingly dull despite the number and frequency of the action sequences. This series of OVA's is perhaps more notable for work of the staff who went onto to do other things. For example, Hiroshi Hamasaki was the animation director for this episode and he went on to direct Shigurui and Steins;Gate, among other things.

This episode basically involves Sengoku climbing a big tower an evil skeleton. It's rather poorly paced and I was only kept engaged by the ridiculous Manga UK dub which brought a fair bit of life to all the characters involved.

[Cyber City Oedo 808] - 3

I didn't bother with the second episode because I remembered it being the worst of the bunch. Each of the three episodes focuses on one of the three main characters and this one focuses on the effeminate Benten. Where as Sengoku is just a wisecracking guy in a red leather jacket Benten is some kind of crazy ninja with monofilament wire which frankly makes his episode far more entertaining to watch. Also, rather than fighting a ghost he has to deal with evil teleporting psychic space vampires, which is way cooler.

Oh yeah, the key animator for this episode was Takeshi Koike (Redline) -

[Sorry Chrome]

xGzZAl3.gif

ibjcMdHzcN7Ak8.gif

Akb 0048 21-23
So akibastar got owned up by our beloved anti entertainment shocktroppers and 0048 is on the run. surprisingly the transition and plot developments in these two eps remind me a lot of what went down in macross frontier around ep 21-22. furthermore i somehow get the protoculture vibes due to whats revealed about the kirara, the center nova phenomenon, and that center nova's apparently disappear to another "world". should be interesting to see what comes out of this. Because i have no idea wtf there trying to go for with this. ep 23 is kawamori's avatar with some messed up kyubey looking wookie creatures lol. of course the way in true kawamori fashion the girls communicate with the indigenous creatures is song.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The fuck is happening here? Surely that isn't a "flying away" animation, right? They could have just had a still image dragged across the screen instead of making her go fuckin nuts.

She's actually just making a long-distance jump and the cut after the end of the gif is of her landing. The very first Precure season (well, two seasons) had a large emphasis on acrobatics during fights as opposed to the DBZ slugfests they are now. This meant a lot of mid-air roundhouse kicks, backflipping, dodge-rolling, cartwheels, things like that. Problem is that the majority of the time, Toei was too cheap to allocate necessary resources or talent to the fights and a lot of them end up with really shitty choreography that overplays the acrobatics to an absurd extent like a character spinning ten times in the air before delivering a very plain punch or kick to a monster. That gif is just the most egregious example of what happens at the intersection of bad choreography and zero-budget animation.

Defuser

Space Bros ep 48

1o13L6Pl.jpg

I would too be scared if I was sitting in a shitty CGI car. Now this arc is interesting cause it's survival, I'm gonna take a wild guess Mutta will lead his team to the top.

Space Brothers 48

A-1... why...

Anyway, guess I'd better settle in; this arc seems like it'll take a while.

QuA1ity

Mature

Macross 7 - 1-6
rrFw8nV.jpg

I finally took the next step into Macross and boy is it the 90's again. I'm talking more 90's than Macross II. It's insane. For starters, Mr. Main Character pilots his VF with a guitar. A guitar that he uses to play rock music while fighting. Well, not really fighting. He doesn't fight. He tries to sway people with the power of music maaaan. Outfitted with speaker and speaker pods (that he subsequently fires into the enemies) and then just... plays the music. To zero effect. Over and over. Each episode.

It's a bit baffling how similar in form the first 5 episodes are. And yet, I watch in awe as dopey narrow minded musicians wearing absolutely ridiculous clothing just talk about band gigs. This HAS to be going somewhere. If not, I can just sit back and soak in the occasionally pretty visuals and lovely fanservice Yep! Maxmillian's here and he's a captain.

Too bad ass even for Macross standards. He's making Global proud.
3UX06he.jpg

Also, Mylene is pretty classic cute. Too good (and young) for Basara.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 22

Hey, this episode wasn't nearly as ugly as I thought it would be, however the CG is exactly as bad as feared.

I need next weeks episode now.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 49

folktales49.jpg

Nothing much to say this week as the first one was really the only engaging short of the three. I'll get to the first one later but I'll just briefly touch upon the first two. The second one (as seen above) involves a turtle trying to find a monkey's liver for the Princess of Ryuuguu Palace whom wants to eat something weird because she's pregnant. The only thing going for this is just how quirky it is in both premise and art direction but that's about it. The third one's merely about a dog that turns into a human and it's really dull as fuck outside of this weird dudes expressions.

The third one involves an old dog whom has been protecting a couple from a bunch of wolves that came down the mountain whenever they can't get any food. The couple have just recently had a baby and are forced to get a new dog as their current one's getting too old thus requiring them to ditch him in the mountains as they can't afford to look after two of them. The old dog, depressed by this, stumbles upon a wolf he seriously wounded a couple years ago and tells him about his predicament. This leads the wold to form an incredibly cunning plan which is only thwarted by the couples wise house cat whom points out that the wold is using the dog to get at the family's food. When the wolf asks her what side she's on, she simply states her name is Chicken George and she lives for no one, which eventually leads to a fight between the dog and the wolf. The next day, the dog (with the cat in tow) is shown slowly limping his way back to the house after his legendary battle in the mountain that forced the wolves to exodus, a battle which was heard by all in the village thanks to the echoing howls throughout the night.

What makes this one work is the really nice art which isn't the most well animated (par the course for this series really) but does it's job. Great stuff.

DiGiKerot

Yessssssssssssssssss.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Now to magically get good enough at Japanese to listen to the audio commentary and see if anyone knew what was going on.

Optimistic on both counts!

I have to admit, I didn't realise it was Aniplex handling that movie. It's a bit of a shame, because if it had been Bandai like most other Sunrise productions, we'd have been considerably more likely to at least get the main feature subtitles on the disk.

It does make me wonder if Aniplex would be mad enough to try and release it in the US, though they still haven't released Welcome to the Space Show over there even though there's even a dub produced for that. I guess probably not.

DiGiKerot

I swear if there was an easy way to add subtitles to disc I would buy all this stuff.
Those otaku in japan are so spoiled.

One of these days I'm going to build myself an HTPC with a ludicrous amount of storage space - I already re-time subtitles for most of my import movie releases anyway, but it'd be nice not to have to hook the laptop up to the telly or have to do pesky things like switching disks.

Actually, that's the biggest annoyance in regards to importing Japanese anime releases, at least for those of us who actually watch what they buy - two or three episode volumes means there's an awful lot of disk-swapping, and it you're anal about packaging then it can be a right faff-on to pull things out of their little plastic bags then repack them with all the little booklets without damaging anything.

It's almost enough to make me want to rebuy stuff when it's released in the UK/US!

cajunator

Banned
One of these days I'm going to build myself an HTPC with a ludicrous amount of storage space - I already re-time subtitles for most of my import movie releases anyway, but it'd be nice not to have to hook the laptop up to the telly or have to do pesky things like switching disks.

Actually, that's the biggest annoyance in regards to importing Japanese anime releases, at least for those of us who actually watch what they buy - two or three episode volumes means there's an awful lot of disk-swapping, and it you're anal about packaging then it can be a right faff-on to pull things out of their little plastic bags then repack them with all the little booklets without damaging anything.

It's almost enough to make me want to rebuy stuff when it's released in the UK/US!

yeah I like the artwork and packagingg and extras but not the huge number of discs. Space is a premium. its even moreso in japan so its amazing that companies still sell everything in these large collections. seems like a gigantic waste of bluray disc space and plastic.

Kurita

You know, is Space Brothers going on indefinitely, shounen style?
Assuming they don't do a time skip... they've got a while. lol

I dunno...
So far the anime covered 10 volumes, I don't know how long the training is in the manga.
I know I'd love to see a long training.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno...
So far the anime covered 10 volumes, I don't know how long the training is in the manga.
I know I'd love to see a long training.
It's approaching a year since the anime started... how much "in universe" time has passed? It must be around a year as well to go from Mutta losing his job to being selected anyway, I guess?

Kurita

It's approaching a year since the anime started... how much "in universe" time has passed? It must be around a year as well to go from Mutta losing his job to being selected anyway, I guess?

Yeah I think one year has passed since the beginning of the story. I can't really remember a lot of timeskips to be honest.

Space Brothers 48
I'm looking forward to this survival training. Curious to see how Mutta, Serika and Nitta will lead the team.
I'm liking the new characters introduced in this arc, especially Bold, would love to see more interactions between him and Mutta.

Kazzy

Barring the cool on-disc extras, I actually don't mind the state that sets are released in the West. That's to say I don't really care for all the superfluous packaging and trinkets, just content!

Which we typically get none of anyway...

Articalys

It seems I've been called out for being an attention whore.

Alright, Vito, congratulations. I'll shut the fuck up about news reports forever from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom