• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I want to like it because of the mecha-design, but...

rDvzYWk.png

The characters look better when there are robots behind them!

fertygo

Duckroll knows where it's at. I mean, sure character designs are very important, but good mecha and good writing can overcome almost anything.

That Majestic Prince can be fun, but I can assure you the writing not gonna stellar. Just look to the mangaka.

duckroll

That Majestic Prince can be fun, but I can assure you the writing not gonna stellar. Just look to the mangaka.

??????????????

Majestic Prince is an original anime written by Reiko Yoshida. The manga is a spinoff thing created to generate interest in the franchise in advance.

yami4ct

Spring mecha showdown, who will win?!

Out of the three this spring, I expect the most from Majestic Prince. I want Valvrave to be good really bad, but Sunrise will inevitably disappoint. I have no expectation of Gargantia.

Fun writing is my definition of good writing in modern mecha. I've long given up on a well written mecha show being made anytime soon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Duckroll knows where it's at. I mean, sure character designs are very important, but good mecha and good writing can overcome almost anything.

You, my friend, are just wrong. For a Super Robot show, Majestic Prince's mecha look great.
Maybe the word ugly was wrong. What I meant to say is that the robot designs are generic. Soulless. Stuff we've seen plenty of times before. There's nothing about them that tells me "oh that's from Majestic Prince!"

yami4ct

Maybe the word ugly was wrong. What I meant to say is that the robot designs are generic. Soulless. Stuff we've seen plenty of times before. There's nothing about them that tells me "oh that's from Majestic Prince!"

I find MP's mecha to be really over the top in a way we haven't seen from a Super Robot show in some time. Really good beam-spammy stuff. Should be good for a mecha comedy.

But, yeah, opinions will differ.

fertygo

I can see where you came from, but its generic mecha school show.. those mecha deliver its purpose. And while we call it "generic", these show came like what.. once every 2 year? Its unique enough then.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well I don't know, all the main male characters in the movie are irrational and moody regardless of species. Souhei, Dad, Ame, and the old guy!

Some people would argue that
having sex with a wolfman
isn't terribly rational either!

I'm being intentionally obtuse, this is fake criticism!

cajunator

Banned
Is Niea Under 7 worth watching?

Trying to decide between that, Big O, and Zeta.

Yes, it is.

This thread without your news would be like a loli without the panty shots aka who the shit is Vito?

This is an apt comparison.

Fate Zero 3/4

Damn your cliffhangers, Urobachi.

Rider's almost becoming my favorite.

Yep. Great slice of life show, ABe art, same writer as Lain(Chiaki Konaka).

Rider is everybody's favorite. you're doing it right. He is the Bossiest Boss that ever Bossed.

I´ve already seen it. Thanks anyway.

I´ve seen Angel Beats, but the other two are unknown to me. Thanks!

The only one i didn´t see is Tatamy Galaxy. I´ll check the PV in youtube.

Maybe 5 years without anime was exaggerated because i´ve seen all of them :p

Steins;Gate is amazing. watch that one. tuturu~

HOW can he recommend Guilty Crown?

Because DTL.

Shit, so basically everyone else gets it right away then.

Well, that's about what I figured.

bJByqbR.png

Arti, you are silly sometimes, but we love you.

The characters look better when there are robots behind them!

I dunno. Those character designs are really, really awful.

Spring mecha showdown, who will win?!

I look forward to Gargantia. It looks really colorful and the settings are fantastic. Plus it gives me slight Rinne vibes because of all the color. It looks the most fun potentially.

yami4ct

Gargantia has the small, thin human-like proportion, big headed, code geass-esque mecha. This is my least favorite type of mecha design.

What female character doing in OWG?

Wasn't they like.. in hawaii bathing in sunshine?

EDIT : bleh DP

Wait, didn't he work on the whole series? If not, bleh, I'm an idiot. If so, Kairi is awesome.

duckroll

Honestly, if we go with "generic" I'll have to say the design for Valvrave takes the cake. It's a red/white themed robot with a really busy design all over but nothing particularly distinctive. Could be a support mech on any recent Gundam series, or an enemy mech in any countless mech action show.

Gargantia's mech is closer to the style of design used for humanoid-doll mechs often found in children shows, but the scale here is much larger and the coloring is fairly unique. Also it's voiced by Sugita so that's a huge plus.

Majestic Prince strikes me as the sort of design we used to see a bit more of but don't really encounter in anime anymore. They're more common in games these days, but even then mecha action games have become a lot less popular. I'm talking about the sleek and cool style of mechs which are a mix of really angular and really round parts, with a huge assortment of different weapon types all over. Stuff found in Zone of the Enders, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, or the OG units in Super Robot Wars. I'll hardly call that ugly or generic. In fact, it's what I've been wanting to see more of for a long time now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gargantia has the small, thin human-like proportion, big headed, code geass-esque mecha. This is my least favorite type of mecha design.

I've never liked the look of Gargantia's impish little encephalitis mechs--even if the designs were rendered in 2D, they'd still be the weakest part of the show from an aesthetic standpoint. I don't just find them ugly, but also at odds with the overall "look" that the 2D design elements are trying to establish. The few snippets of combat we've seen are downright garish. Ultimately what I see just makes me wish that Gargantia wasn't a mecha and instead something totally different =/

Reknoc

Gargantia's mech is closer to the style of design used for humanoid-doll mechs often found in children shows, but the scale here is much larger and the coloring is fairly unique. Also it's voiced by Sugita so that's a huge plus.

The winner is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom