• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionBolt

Steins;Gate 10 first couple minutes

Well... that's really awkward. And is this just the show, or does Japan in general have like no concept of transsexualism?
If it's any small consolation, Ruka's VN ending
is based on Okabe not wanting to physically deny Ruka's gender, and prioritizing that highly enough that he gives up on saving the world. That does mean its a Bad End though, so... Eh
. (This isn't covered in the anime, so you can read this at the point you're at without real spoilers unless you want to read the VN later.)

Japan does seem to be at best America-level when it comes to these kinds of things. Of course, you get exceptional shows like Wandering Son on rare occasions.

Also, the fact that no one else has mentioned it yet kind of makes me think that I'm just misinterpreting things (which would be rather awkward), but this season's Tamako Market has Kaoru. I don't remember any specific reference to gender, but I would have taken her(? now I'm questioning it) to be female instantly if not for Daisuke Ono's voice. I like to treat examples like that as progressive if nothing else shows I'm wrong - or even sometimes when things do, like with the Pokemon BW2 female protagonist.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It does technically count, but at the same time doesn't because it's legitimately good.

Well, I can understand how Ranma has such a contingent of groupies. But this Makoto guy? "I felt in love with him because he was stalking me at the Subway".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile > Heartcatch

lol
oeYXduD.gif

Steroyd

Well, I can understand how Ranma has such a contingent of groupies. But this Makoto guy? "I felt in love with him because he was stalking me at the Subway".

That's what the typical harem shows have devolved into over the years following the mold of To Love Ru.

Steins;Gate 11

Gah don't make me worry like that Okarin!

But I don't like where this show is headed (in a good way... if that makes any sense). I get a feeling I'm going to be crying tears of sorrow.

BluWacky

It's been over ten years since I first saw that OP and it never fails to impress me. The unity of that music and the visuals is really quite something. Tonally it all just fits, and while some of the devices it uses are replicated frequently elsewhere (most obviously in the Himiko-den OP) there aren't many imitators as effective.

And yet I've still never actually watched any of Lodoss War. Just that OP. A million times.

Steins:Gate 12

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

FUCKING DAMNIT. :(

Some of the impact of the event was taken away by the blatant foreshadowing just moments before, but goddamn... :(

edit: Also didn't help that I
automatically associate FB with Facebook... I know that isn't it but my brain made the connection and made me laugh.

Reknoc

Girls und Panzer 7

I guess tanks are a lot like Pokemon; search around in the tall grass long enough you'll eventually find one, or two, one of which was inside a small room inside the ship. How did it get there? Did it get lost?

Syrinx

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 010

dat delicious fiery sakuga. Now I understand why pretty much every kid on the block watched this. Oh, and just like I said before, Usagi is quick to drop friends when she gets new ones. What a jerk.

I don't really think it's her being a jerk so much as it is her having the attention span and relationship managing skills of a meth-addicted gerbil.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure Max Heart 10

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

Honoka and Nagisa go on a field trip to a cake factory. Sweet!
This cake factory is kind of weird though. Its named Cattleya, the same as the queen's Blade character. I found it kind of hilarious but I might be a bit tired because I fell asleep at some point and had to resume later. I'm not posting a picture of who Cattleya is because almost anything with her in it is NSFW.
Anyway, so the group learns how cake is made and they get to decorate a cake and also fighting Zakenna. So much excitement for one day. Then they bring some home for Hikari. By the way, the theme of this episode was harmony and the new Heartiel just happens to be called Harmonin. So clever right?

I'm so fucking Ultra-Happy right now.

Welcome to my world.

Are we getting an Accel World season 2? Or its all about SAO now?

By all means, go ahead!

Its all about the dreadful SAO now.
Accel world might get a sequel but it wont be before more of Gary Stu and his magical digital waifus.

Steins;Gate 11

Gah don't make me worry like that Okarin!

But I don't like where this show is headed (in a good way... if that makes any sense). I get a feeling I'm going to be crying tears of sorrow.

jokerherewego.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I understand that the new harem trope is pandering to their audience (lonely otakus). But the new trend of incest with little sisters? Do Otakus really want to become intimate with their immediate (mostly prepubescent) relatives in significant numbers?

Okay, I understand that the new harem trope is pandering to their audience (lonely otakus). But the new trend of incest with little sisters? Do Otakus really want to become intimate with their immediate relatives in significant numbers?

I think it's mostly just people leeching off of OreImo's success.

cajunator

Banned
Steins:Gate 12

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

FUCKING DAMNIT. :(

Some of the impact of the event was taken away by the blatant foreshadowing just moments before, but goddamn... :(

edit: Also didn't help that I
automatically associate FB with Facebook... I know that isn't it but my brain made the connection and made me laugh.

Please fasten your seatbelts and put your tray table up and your seatbacks in the upright position.

Okay, I understand that the new harem trope is pandering to their audience (lonely otakus). But the new trend of incest with little sisters? Do Otakus really want to become intimate with their immediate (mostly prepubescent) relatives in significant numbers?

Its not a new trope but it is getting a bit sickeningly common at this point. Also it is theorized that a lot of Otaku who are into it did not have a little sister and may have a complex about it.

Articalys

Its not a new trope but it is getting a bit sickeningly common at this point. Also it is theorized that a lot of Otaku who are into it did not have a little sister and may have a complex about it.
I knew I had this on standby for a reason.

0pJj6.jpg

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, on my experience, little sisters regularly antagonize their brothers. Specially during their tween days.

cajunator

Banned
Well, on my experience, little sisters regularly antagonize their brothers. Specially during their tween days.

I had a little sister for one day but she died in the hospital. I never got to experience what it was like. We probably would have gotten along pretty well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
God only knows if Tsukasa Fushimi (Oreimo author) ever read the web versions of SAO, but the first LN volume of Oreimo was released a little over half a year before SAO volume 1, and a little over a year before SAO volume 3.

Yeah... well the incest thing must've come before SAO as well though, right? Unless. LOL. Imagine if SAO really did start it. BUWHAHAHAHAHAHA

OreImo was published before SAO I think.

Published but not written and available to the public before SAO was.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Truth is harsh!

Well, hey, if we're making comparisons between things that we've seen and things that we haven't seen:

Bleach > Yu Yu Hakusho
Ixion Saga > Gintama
Gundam 00 S2 > 08th MS Team
Tytania > Legend of the Galactic Heroes
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom