• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It's been over ten years since I first saw that OP and it never fails to impress me. The unity of that music and the visuals is really quite something. Tonally it all just fits, and while some of the devices it uses are replicated frequently elsewhere (most obviously in the Himiko-den OP) there aren't many imitators as effective.

And yet I've still never actually watched any of Lodoss War. Just that OP. A million times.

The OVA is as solid a depiction of the ideal D&D game as I can think of in visual media(as opposed to depictions of a realistic D&D game like "The Gamers"). It's more motion-comic than animated a lot of the time, but at least the artwork is really nice and insanely detailed.

I've only heard bad things about the TV show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
HeIMvg4.jpg

This image always seemed funny to me. Does he think that mother-incest stories are all written by orphans?

Maybe it's because mothers tend to be loving and therefore more prone to being used in your typical incest storyline while little sisters tend to be annoying and awful and less arousing.
It's all great to me.

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 11

As if the shounen elemnts weren't enough awesome, we get a
SUPER ROBOT!!!!!!!!
this ep. Aw yeah.
It's combination footage was hilarious.

Nice to see even an action oriented episode could be nailed properly after the fine run of introspective and emotional eps. Think there's one more ep to go but it's so nice this turned into a little gem of a series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay, I understand that the new harem trope is pandering to their audience (lonely otakus). But the new trend of incest with little sisters? Do Otakus really want to become intimate with their immediate (mostly prepubescent) relatives in significant numbers?
*snicker*

new

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 32

Okay, Porun did get on my nerves in this episode, specifically with all his bitching and moaning about how he wants to go back to the Field of Light popo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I understand that the new harem trope is pandering to their audience (lonely otakus). But the new trend of incest with little sisters? Do Otakus really want to become intimate with their immediate (mostly prepubescent) relatives in significant numbers?

I've been watching GJ-bu, and I thought that it would be, at worst, an inoffensive harem show. Then
the MC's little sister has an orgasm from him brushing her hair

I just don't even.

Forbidden love is best love! It's like all the teacher-students stories or all the other forbidden relationships even in non-anime/manga/LN stuff.

And who cares? Is just sex (well, in the most stories not even holding hands) after all, I don't know why we should act like that's the end of the world if it still completly okay that killing people is an acceptable way to solve problems in movies.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure Max Heart 11

If enough girls hold hands together, can it summon SDBurton?
This episode is a Lacrosse tournament. Pretty straightforward. Only this time, Shiny Luminous is there to hold the demons at bay until Nagisa finishes her game. See she does come in handy sometimes!
After a thoroughly electrifying fight mixing sakuga and some really bad artwork, Zakenna is defeated but something new happens.
Hikari reaches into the bag she was carrying and pulls out...
A NEW TOY! HEY KIDS BUY THE QUEENS CHAIRECT TODAY!
Oh also this thing is apparently where the Heartiels reside so they go inside of it except for Seekun who is probably some sort of final catalyst for the device in the final episodes.
This show is so blatant with its toy pandering that its almost charming.
Actually, I'm having fun with this show, and definitely having a different experience than MadPierrot did. But as I have said before, I have a high tolerance for mediocrity.

*snicker*

new

Exactly. That idea is definitely not "new". It is however getting a lot of exposure in anime lately as a trend.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 24

This show is a damn trainwreck. Every time it gets to be almost okay, it screws things up. I can't even. They go and kill off
Lockon. AGAIN.
and the worst part is that the heroic sacrifice won't even stick, because
Ali Al Sanchez
, being a total Gauron clone, will undoubtedly be back in two or more episodes. Unlike Gauron, of course, they won't have the guts to
cripple
him in anyway. He'll be back singing bout Krugiss punks and shrieking in his bad evil Duo Maxwell voice.

Oh, and the plot? The plot isn't. Like, I mean, seriously, whatever was supposed to be going on here isn't because instead of developing characters or advancing the plot, they just settle for introducing new characters and following Saji Crossroads as he cries into a melted DQ Blizzard. Destiny is golden compared to this, and frankly, I can't help but feel as awful as AGE was, it was still more straightforward.

This is legitimately the most disappointing Gundam I've ever watched. AGE was worse, but I expected it to be. I didn't care there. I WANTED to like this show, and it's just, ugh. Not sure if I wanna push this to the second season. Everything I've heard about the movie is red flags, though.

cajunator

Banned
I've been watching GJ-bu, and I thought that it would be, at worst, an inoffensive harem show. Then
the MC's little sister has an orgasm from him brushing her hair

I just don't even.

Have you seen Nisemonagatari?
In particular, episode 8. It is legendary.
One word. toothbrush.

Is Porun going to be the new final boss of animegaf?

I don't think he would be a very good one because I love that little fellow.
I'm happy that he is still in Max Heart and has his own Precure now.
He's so adorable.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 07

Wasn't a bad episode. We knock out the crappy wanna be Paul and send his ass home with some hax so that was fun. Cameron and Bianca's battle was pretty nice. It was a pretty good battle since it wasn't all dodging and OHKOs.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 010

dat delicious fiery sakuga. Now I understand why pretty much every kid on the block watched this. Oh, and just like I said before, Usagi is quick to drop friends when she gets new ones. What a jerk.
Usagi supposedly still hangs out with Naru, just not as much and not in a way worth including in an episode. Those other two friends, though? Fuck 'em!

Steroyd

Well, sorry if I didn't noticed it before. Care to share an example?

On average there was at least one dedicated incest show per season, it was only until My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, did the titles of the like start become more prominent with shows like Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Papa! or the less obvious As long as there is love who cares if you're my brother, now incest seems to be invading normal shows like Sword Art Online.

And yes what I bolded are actual shows that have aired...

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 23

Mic Sounders 2000 for Pres. USA. Wackiest robot in the entire show. Also, what's with big cat names in this show? Leo, Taiga, and now Liger? Even though they say Liger is Leo's big brother, I think he's actually Leo and Taiga's love child. Makes as much sense as anything. Mic is hilariously useless, but I'm told his unit is fairly useful in SRW. I never use it, because I tend to focus on picking units I like above all. And healers.

Mic is kinda sorta better than like, any character not named Lockon in the entirety of Gundam 00. Well, Lockon and Haro.

Nafe

Smile > Heartcatch

lol

Even if you still ultimately felt that way and despite your not really going back and watching "older" shows, I think you might like Heartcatch PreCure.

Some seem to think it starts out slower or it isn't as interesting with just the two leads but, while I'm just a few episodes in so far, I personally think it really gives off that fun atmosphere and the two leads have great chemistry.

That franchise doesn't deserve success.

I'm not even actually sure how successful Hyperdimension Neptune is sales wise and if more people are just aware of it based on its premise. Popular enough to get a couple sequels and an anime though I suppose.

Looking at the OT for the newest game coming out outside of Japan it's kind of funny how the localizers are having a bit of fun. One of the trophies for the game is something like "How many reviewers will even get this?" and it's obtained simply for starting the game. It seems to be a commentary on how many people don't or won't play the game in the West.

I have to admit the idea is pretty intriguing though and I'm surprised someone didn't do it sooner. It's also kind of funny how a game depicting the console wars is exclusive to one system. I guess to one name or brand now that the Vita is getting it's own game and maybe a port of the first as well.

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 010

dat delicious fiery sakuga. Now I understand why pretty much every kid on the block watched this. Oh, and just like I said before, Usagi is quick to drop friends when she gets new ones. What a jerk.

I miss you so much, Gyopi-chan. ;_;

Rei-chan! <3
Not having seen Goldfish Warning I didn't notice that when first watching the show so that little key-chain cameo is pretty neat.

cajunator

Banned
Even if you still ultimately felt that way and despite your not really going back and watching "older" shows, I think you might like Heartcatch PreCure.

Some seem to think it starts out slower or it isn't as interesting with just the two leads but, while I'm just a few episodes in so far, I personally think it really gives off that fun atmosphere and the two leads have great chemistry.

I'm not even actually sure how successful Hyperdimension Neptune is sales wise and if more people are just aware of it based on its premise. Popular enough to get a couple sequels and an anime though I suppose.

Looking at the OT for the newest game coming out outside of Japan it's kind of funny how the localizers are having a bit of fun. One of the trophies for the game is something like "How many reviewers will even get this?" and it's obtained simply for starting the game. It seems to be a commentary on how many people don't or won't play the game in the West.

I have to admit the idea is pretty intriguing though and I'm surprised someone didn't do it sooner. It's also kind of funny how a game depicting the console wars is exclusive to one system. I guess to one name or brand now that the Vita is getting it's own game and maybe a port of the first as well.

Rei-chan! <3
Not having seen Goldfish Warning I didn't notice that when first watching the show so that little key-chain cameo is pretty neat.

I started watching Heartcatch and found it to be incredibly enjoyable 6 episodes in. however I also heard that Max Heart was terrible, so I wanted to get that show out of the way first. It turns out, however, that I am enjoying Max Heart as much as I enjoyed Futari Wa Precure so I'm definitely going to love Heartcatch immensely. It is quitep ossible actually that I might enjoy ALL of the Precure shows a lot, if Max Heart is the worst of them.

I did notice the goldfish warning keychain in Sailor Moon (somehow), but it kind of got lost in watching the show. It was a neat tribute though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, hey, if we're making comparisons between things that we've seen and things that we haven't seen:

Bleach > Yu Yu Hakusho
Ixion Saga > Gintama
Gundam 00 S2 > 08th MS Team
Tytania > Legend of the Galactic Heroes
etc.
#salt lol

That's fair. I just feel like the Smiles are the best already though. lol

cajunator

Banned
#salt lol

That's fair. I just feel like the Smiles are the best already though. lol

Smile definitely has my favorite art style of the lot. Its those eye designs. So gorgeous.
Plus you know, Cure Peace and her moenukeness.
Can't wait to watch Smile but its a ways down the line. I think I will skip the YES Precure shows for now and come back to them later.

DiGiKerot

Whatever the case, I will say that the Heartcatch movie is way better than the Smile one.

Not that the Smile movie is particularly bad, mind you - it's entertaining and there's some great fight choreography - but last years Suite movie did rather vastly reduce my expectations for such things.

CorvoSol

Well, hey, if we're making comparisons between things that we've seen and things that we haven't seen:

Bleach > Yu Yu Hakusho
Ixion Saga > Gintama
Gundam 00 S2 > 08th MS Team
Tytania > Legend of the Galactic Heroes
etc.

Only if Gundam 00 S2 sees a dramatic increase in quality. 08th MS Team might fall apart toward the end, but it was still better than this.

Gundam 0083:Stardust Memory 4

This show is the best comedy series ever. It's the only explanation for the hilariously awful characters and dialogue. The plot is like the plot of every Gundam ever. Gundamjacking isn't exactly new.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is Porun going to be the new final boss of animegaf?

oh not even close

#salt lol

Hey, I was just joking around, even if it's true that you're comparing a show that you've seen to a show that you haven't!

Only if Gundam 00 S2 sees a dramatic increase in quality. 08th MS Team might fall apart toward the end, but it was still better than this.

I actually don't know which Gundam is considered best, this is just one I don't remember hearing anyone complain about and I hated Gundam 00 S2 just about worse than I've ever hated any show in my life.

CorvoSol

It's right up there with South Burning, M'Quve, and Quattro Vagina.

I don't have a problem with M'Quve, mostly because I spelled it McCuve in my head, which made it seem less crazy. Is that last one real, though?

Having a main antagonist named Ribbons is worse than any of these.

Ribbons Hallmark is one tough cookie. Actually, I'm only through episode 24 of S1, but so far I've been under the impression that Ribbons is basically Mr. Corner's prostitute.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure Max Heart 12

Akane wants to take her Takoyaki store on the road.
she bring Nagisa, Honoka, and Hikari on a trip to the Highlands of Nadesico Ranch. This episode is made better simply because of that name.
Porun jumps on a little goat named Bell and upsets it. Stop riding goats without their permission Porun. However the little goat becomes friends with Hikari so its all good.
At first the Takoyaki stand is a failure, as Nadesico has its own food attractions. However Hikari comes up with a plan using indigenous flowers. You're getting more useful by the day Hikari! The group makes little Nadesico Ranch themed Takoyaki boats which gets people buying. CUTE SELLS.
Then Porun senses something terrible. The most powerful villain the Precure have encountered yet appears and makes a Zakenna out of a barn.
Hikari has to bail the Precures out again and saves the day. Everything returns to normal and the Takoyaki experiment is a huge success at Nadesico.
I am really enjoying this show quite a lot.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure Movie: Blah Blah Long Title:

Very good animation. The characters at their character-iest. Who gives a shit about the plot it's an annual Toei milking movie and they almost all share the same empty shell of a narrative. Actual effort was put in to make it entertaining and not totally soulless like some of the films, and so it really just feels like a really long Smile episode, which is all I wanted.

and OF COURSE it's Yayoi delivering the special message to the "bigger friends" in the audience :lol

courtesy of Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyosuke 11
tumblr_mjvot8eseH1qzk4cro1_500.gif

Really good episode. Andy Hinomiya and Hyobu Kyosuke make the perfect team and all for the sake of Urigiri. I liked all of the action scene even that random Andy being all epic moment with the weapon. Favorite non action moment.
If Yoh is dead and stuff. I hope not, I hope Urigiri or whatever didnt kill those characters nor that Andy or Hyobu would die in this upcoming final episode. Would be too tragic even though PANDRA may have some odd morals, still, after even forgiving and welcoming Andy back with open arms, and him being kicked out the US group, he deserves it, and I want to see everyone on the Catastrophe back together

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Smile Precure! The Movie: Big Mismatch in the Picture Book!]
Cha-la Head Cha-la!

Well, that was a Smile Precure! movie. It's essentially what episode 43 should have been --in fact, most of the beats regarding Miyuki's shyness are covered in here before the opening sequence even begins! Now a lot of the show's eventual downturn in quality makes sense, both in animation and writing.
I really liked the first half of the film --it's Smile Precure! doing all the fun stuff it's known for. The chemistry between the characters is as enjoyable as ever, and it adheres to the show's mantra of going batshit insane with the setting and rolling all the way with it. Sadly, the movie is also evident of some of Smile's fatal flaws, particularly regarding the villain. There's only so much you can do with
yet another giant blob of evil bent on getting rid of smiles FOREVER
, and as such the final confrontation comes across as brawl for the sake of brawl. They tried to personalise the stakes a bit with the character of Nico, but I fear she is not given enough screentime before the climax for the setup to be believable. It's a stark-contrast with how Loup-Garou was handled in the Heartcatch movie --indeed, the entire plot there hinges on him, and as such a hypothetical disappointment in his characterisation would have been fatal to the film's narrative.
Animation-wise, this was a spectacle. The situational and visual comedy was one of Smile's strongest points, and the movie ramps up these elements to the max. I also thought the visuals were pretty impressive in their own regard, even the CGI (the
whale made of flowers
near the beginning of the film was a delight)! The sakuga is also the one thing that kept my attention after the the movie takes on yet another rampage against another faceless evil. The fight choreography alone is worth the price of admission, although be warned that the eventual conclusion is not unlike that of a regular episode's.
Should I recommend this to people interested in the show? It's basically another episode stretched out through sixty minutes, so the answer would probably be yes. I don't think, however, that the film per se is as strong by itself as the Heartcatch movie was. Fans of Smile should nonetheless love it, since it's more of what they loved and less of what Dokidoki is.
I give this movie 4 out of 5 Toei marketing ploys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom