• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Pretty Cure 33

Why is the lacrosse team so big at this school? I'm sure it's a fine game (my experience with it is limited to eighth grade gym where nobody could catch the ball so we pretty much just played hockey with lacrosse sticks), but I've never seen it so popular at a school before. And why's the vice principal so into it?

That's the first time you've made a shot, Shiho? Kinda hard to believe, since the goalies are laughably bad. Like, she just moved her stick down a little. She didn't try to block it or anything. And she's an improvement over the goalies in previous episodes who didn't do shit. Martin Brodeur am cry.

Animating goalkeepers is too expensive so they all just stand there and look shocked when a ball whizzes by them. It never stops being sad/hilarious.

You know, even here in the nation that exterminated its founders and co-opted the sport founded the sport, it seems like the kind of ultra-obscure thing that's relegated to a few 1% schools, so I'm surprised that it's even known in other countries where there's not even the draw of NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE. Maybe Toei just chose it because it's incredibly cheap to animate due to arms always being in a fixed position holding the stick :lol

I wonder how many little girls watched this show then felt terrible disappointment when they made it to junior high and there was no lacrosse team at their school.

CorvoSol

iWqIF8vAqIwmw.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

Directed by: Takeyuki Kanda and Umanosuke Iida

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

Directed by: Fumihiko Takayama

I'm noticing a pattern.

iiN4wizsDgSYl.jpg

Anyway, he didn't do bad against a Gundam though, especially in a Zaku. Goddamn at that rule though,
Gundams can only take out Gundams
. Yea I'm not sure if I like this more than 8th Team but I think I do. The personal level in the show really does a great job of getting the anti-war theme across better than any of the other shows. By withholding Gundam battles, it actually makes the ones we get more special. The opening battle in episode 1 was really awesome, mainly in regards to how the mobile suits moved. There is also a bigger emphasis on tactics which I really enjoyed. It actually felt like people had brains in the show. The show really did a great job in getting across how fatal these battles are in a much more effective manner compared to regular Gundam. Some of the mech shots were gorgeous and I think the background artists did a really notable job. I'm not wild about some of the music selections such as the use of the OP in the final episode as it feels really out of place. I thought the final scene was very well done in that the audience can see how Al has changed. I was actually surprised by the fact that I didn't hate Al throughout this and I found his relationship with Bernie rather charming.

iemf5pOZ4lZuh.jpg

I wish more Gundam was like this instead of the ridiculous space opera shit and Newtype space sex.

Oh yeah, this was WAY better than 08th MS team. I don't want EVERY Gundam show to be like this, but I wish all the OVAs could be on par with this. So good, so so good. Got all choked up in the end.

GTO 24

Vice Principal Uchiyamada must be the most depressing villain of all time. And I know I've said it already, but the faces in GTO are really the best part of the entire show. Anime faces nowadays tend to be so, I dunno, simplistic, but GTO's manage to be anime and look real, and of course, so expressive.

Syrinx

Animating goalkeepers is too expensive so they all just stand there and look shocked when a ball whizzes by them. It never stops being sad/hilarious.

You know, even here in the nation that exterminated its founders and co-opted the sport founded the sport, it seems like the kind of ultra-obscure thing that's relegated to a few 1% schools, so I'm surprised that it's even known in other countries where there's not even the draw of NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE. Maybe Toei just chose it because it's incredibly cheap to animate due to arms always being in a fixed position holding the stick :lol

I wonder how many little girls watched this show then felt terrible disappointment when they made it to junior high and there was no lacrosse team at their school.

I was gonna say that maybe they should have had her play hockey instead, but then I thought about the skating animations that would result in. *shudders* At least they could have a scene where Nagisa beats the shit out of one of her opponents.

Milamber

Girls und Panzer 11

Last night's GuP was amazing. And since it's going to be the final episode next week., I am now sad.

The sheer firepower of THAT tank is so unfair. I am still wondering why there aren't any fatalities at all in this show.

What about the hands?
They seem to be modeled rather nicely...

Not for my tastes...

I just went and checked my others figs to be sure that i'm not crazy but i'm not satisfied by the amount of details.Maybe that's because her hands are closed but i require more (details) that's all.

Now feel free to get this fig if you want to. My comment was not intended to discourage you from getting it.

This might seem like nitpicking but that's something i pay attention for my personnal collection ( the amount of detaisl used )/price .Damn if those queen blade cast off figs weren't full of details..i just can't accept less now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was gonna say that maybe they should have had her play hockey instead, but then I thought about the skating animations that would result in. *shudders* At least they could have a scene where Nagisa beats the shit out of one of her opponents.

There are lacrosse Zakenna in Max Heart.
So I guess that partially counts.

cajunator

Banned

There is Lacrosse in Japan. mostly at prestigious universities.
I researched it out of curiosity watching Precure.

Branduil

From the New World 24

Well that was not the best use of 24 minutes. The editing choices made in this episode were really bizarre and poorly-thought-out. They robbed several scenes of tension for no real reason. I also don't understand why Saki couldn't just
make a wall of fire between Satoru and the "fiend" instead of just wasting the whole thing.

It was nice to hear
Squealer's voice again. Hopefully he makes a triumphant reappearance in the final episode.
Overall, the best part of the episode was
Kiroumaru just casually admitting he had planned to attack humanity if it had been feasible.

Please deliver on the finale, Ishihama.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There is Lacrosse in Japan. mostly at prestigious universities.
I researched it out of curiosity watching Precure.

yup, 1% sport total, haha.

Good thing because Nagisa is borderline Usagi-levels of dumb in school so a lacrosse scholarship (if such a thing even exists) would basically be her only hope for higher education. Otherwise she's basically guaranteed to spend the rest of her life as a depressed housewife churning out babies for Fujipi :(

cajunator

Banned
yup, 1% sport total, haha.

Good thing because Nagisa is borderline Usagi-levels of dumb in school so a lacrosse scholarship (if such a thing even exists) would basically be her only hope for higher education. Otherwise she's basically guaranteed to spend the rest of her life as a depressed housewife churning out babies for Fujipi :(

Honoka is too much of a sweetheart to let Nagisa her best friend simply fail. Although you have a point. All she can do pretty much is play Lacrosse. She has to rely on Honoka for everything.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Girls und Panzer - 11

F4upnFM.png
qCe5xbU.png

Auto club proving their stuff!

Man this episode was a blast. So many clutch and close calls that I was on the edge of my seat. Welcome back tank maidens, I've missed you so much.

Ultimadrago

Girls und Panzer 11

pres1hiyep.png
kat9hy06.png

My heart was under attack.

A hearty welcome back to Girls und Panzer! This episode was good, really fun and oh so adorable. I still feel a sense of enjoyment seeing the various girls on-screen (Pres Anzu, Katyusha, Freckle Moe Arisa, the rest) even though it has been a while since seeing them again. I'm pleasantly surprised my amusement with their simple personalities held up for this long. I can safely guarantee I'll have a delightful time with them again come the final episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Girls und Panzer 11
Maybe I'm just over this show. It was kind of just...predictable the whole way through. Most of the time things were fairly low stakes, and the characterization on the enemy team kind of just stinks compared to many of the previous battles. The whole
river scene
had me looking for something else to keep my mind preoccupied. Extremely slow, dealing with issues that have already been dealt with while failing to tell us anything new about the protagonist. Even worse it was essentially a trial gone awry with no suspense or repercussion. Then the episode ended with the typical issue of characters acting out of character to create conflict. Pretty underwhelming.

Ultimadrago

Hataraki Man 11 [END]

And with that, the struggling spark (a.k.a.
Hiro and Shinji's romance
) has finally died. Ever since Shinji's episode, I've liked him a great deal. He's the working boyfriend who fails to pleasure his loved one about every time, but he's a human. He's a man with priorities as Hiro is a woman with priorities. Hataraki Man as a series doesn't frame the relationship for the audience like in one of those godawful Madea films (or other weaker anime that deal with romance, for that matter). It doesn't place a scale of justice on the side of the poor female trying to keep a relationship together while the man is all to blame. They are both to blame for the crumbling of it all and they each have an understandable perspective on the manner. They are workers. It's how they've approached life and ,with caveat, have lived with it. There is no necessity for a polarized moral stance to this type of shaky relationship and Hataraki Man plays this well. Though it's odd how it works this type of under-handed approach with some of the overly blatant handling on other hurdles in the workplace and with sexuality.

This series was quite different. What strength it really doesn't have in visuals it instead keeps in new angles on the workplace that I don't see in anime. As oversimplified and oddly blunt it handles some of its character types and issues, it still made for events that entertained me. It's a show that's largely fine at what it does and was certainly a change of pace. It's familiarly episodic, but scrapes on an obvious world I've not seen enough in an animated format.

Lastly, the ending was a chuckle. Oh
Sugawara

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 012
This episode was all about dat yuri subtext. The moral of the story is that falling in love with guys is a bad idea. Even Jadeite got punk'd, what with
Queen Beryl-sama (I fucking hate these subs) getting finally serious on his butt.
End of cour is going to be epic.

Despite the lack of variety in finishing moves I think the show has made it clear that the girls are becoming more used to all this Sailor Senshi crap, up to the point that they don't really need Tuxedo Mask anymore. It's a great change of pace after all those episodes with Usagi being such a crybaby. They also seem to have taken a more proactive role in this saving the world deal.

Goldfish Warning! alert!
Chitose hanging out with Asaba? I bet she has an ulterior motive. Again.

CorvoSol

GODLY GUNDAM 24

Best Gundam?
Best Gundam.
BEST. GUNDAM.

No seriously, what do you want out of a Gundam show? WE GOT IT HERE FOLKS. DO you want action? Romance? Suspense? TRUE FRIENDSHIP? FIGHTING SPIRIT? Ridiculously quotable lines? Compelling villains? Problematic space colonies? A GUNDAM USING A ROPE OF ENERGY TO BOUNCE FROM GUIANA TO HONG KONG IN MERE MINUTES? Absurdist humor? titillation? Hot Gundam on Gundam action?

WE HAVE ALL THIS AND MORE. SO MUCH MORE.

BEST. GUNDAM.
Best Gundam.
Best Gundam!

The mirai figurine doesn't nearly have enough details on it for the price they ask.. no thanks

The other are alright even if better at this price than the original price.

Well so far the anime skipped only a very lenghty explanation of the world setting and got all the facts rights ( all importants events in the first 2 books ). A little bit rushed but still adequate.

You only feel like they are talking nonsense because it's hasn't been explained enough how the world is a giant ( like really huge ) world of possibilities and they haven't explained enough of the hiearchy of everything working in it.
The fact that facts , legends , possibilities co-exist is quite a blank canvas for anything to happen .. and then you have demon worlds, protectors , nobles ,annomalies , summonned beings, inhabitants and so on.. However i feel like i've understood better how it works now than by just watching the anime.
But that is the case with pretty much every LN i read after watching an anime ..cutting things for the sake of adapting stuff in motion is expected. ..still this anime should have used more episodes, not in the last arc IMo , but before that.

In the end one of the good things this anime have done is the very quick pacing and you never feel bored.
Do they ever explain why izayoi is so OP?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Don't think I need to state the obvious but Lily is best girl.

Someone have that oniisama e slap gif? It's needed.
It seems strange to post .gif reactions to your own posts, but I guess they're called for.

Syrinx

I'll make a note to catch GuP 11 sometime within the week. Aparrently it's good. Futari wa is my focus now for the most part.

Rayearth

Neo Member
How safe is it to have your head sticking out of a tank during a live fire drill?

I like to think that the crew could, if they wanted to, just punch/bodyblock/headbutt away the shells. They don't because its not true to the spirit of the sport or something.

safetyu.png

That's probably why boys don't play in this sport. For them, it would escalate from punching shells to "Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!", tank ramming, and crews brawling with each other.

Very much not senshadou.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It seems strange to post .gif reactions to your own posts, but I guess they're called for.

Are you referring to Lily being best girl or Sora no Woto being good? Because denying either claim warrants a round of fisticuffs. :O

I'm on my mobile right now and I'm too lazy to post gifs at the moment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu! 23:

This was pretty uneventful but Ran doesn't get a lot of focus in spite of her being a main character so I appreciated the episode for devoting some time to her ambitions and growth at least. I prefer seeing these characters learn from failure instead of pulling out a ridiculous underdog victory in this or that competition for the umpteenth time.

Shergal

Girls und Panzer 11
Real talk.

Ooarai is low-brow Panzerfahren playing. They all run away all the time, using dirty tactics like making the enemy run out of fuel and sneaking tanks from behind. They're the Catenaccio of Panzerfahren.
Come at me bros.

Girls und Panzer 11
Real talk.

Ooarai is low-brow Panzerfahren playing. They all run away all the time, using dirty tactics like making the enemy run out of fuel and sneaking tanks from behind. They're the Catenaccio of Panzerfahren.
Come at me bros.

All's fair in love and war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom