• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

So I've just been watching some classic Oshii montages, for example this one from Ghost in the Shell opening (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGJE82p39jI

or this one from later on in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTLckN9e7I

or this one from Patlabor 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

or this one from Innocence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IGTiFuDjTI

and I was just reflecting on how peculiarly distinct all of these Oshii montages are. Even outside of their proper context they nevertheless retain a powerful weight to them which serves to interpolate you into the world that you are observing. The atmosphere is almost tangible. While I like and respect each of these films as a whole I find that these certain scenes stick out in my recollection and it's probably because of their unique characteristics. They also forgo spoken narrative and instead opt to focus on telling a story or communicating an idea purely through visuals (supported by the music, of course). As you're not being fed any particular story your brain actually works harder in interpreting what you're seeing and drawing conclusions based on that because you're not getting a story any other way. This is one of the ways in which Oshii enriches the worlds that he creates, by simply putting it on display for the audience. When he portrays it in such a naturalistic, engrossing way it actually makes the fake world of the movie seem far more real because we've seen so much of it. This is why Oshii says you shouldn't underestimate the importance of good background art - it actually helps people feel that the world is a real location, not some piece of flat art.

The slow, deliberate nature of the editing combined with the Kenji Kawai feels designed to place the viewer into a kind of trance. Most directors wouldn't slow their movie down for such a long period of time for fear of boring the audience and losing their attention. In this sense Oshii at least treats his audience with some respect because he presumes that they can survive without constant visceral entertainment.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry guys, one of the manga books I have IS by Christopher Hart. Although honestly the stuff in it really is pretty cute. Its probably his only book with passable art though. Maybe Im just that biased to cuteness. (Its the Girl Power how to draw manga book)

Its one of the few anime to come close to being as awesome as Evangelion. Definitely check it out as its one of the best anime of the decade. Good music, intense and enjoyable plot, and fresh visuals and character abilities.

Seriously? Yes I have always loved evangelion what are the similarities? Music definitely hits the spot.

EDIT: lol saw the other replies. Oh you.....you got my hopes up ;__;

It sounds like Attack on Titan is going to have some amount of original anime content. It's mentioned in a recent blog post for the magazine it runs in, and the editor also mentions that the manga author is somewhat involved with the anime production. Hmmm... I sure hope it's not another Magi.

Well, I guess that's that.

No one asked for this. It's a good thing I wasn't expecting the adaptation to be any good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I thought the average mecha was only 20m high?
Mmm, I guess you are right. I always tend to overestimate those real robots. Fucking real robots.

While we are on the subject of mecha, yay found Yoshinari's old artwork!
oFj3VZb.jpg

Articalys

Dub cast announced for Inu x Boku SS. In the role of the lead couple are Hilary Haag and Chris Patton, who should naturally have some excellent chemistry from their FMP days as Tessa and Sosuke.

CorvoSol

G Gundam 27

TEE HEE, the Mobile Trace System hurt a little boy. Oh, and OF COURSE Gundam Maxter from Neo-MURICA beat up Gundam Zebra from, I dunno, Neo-Africa. That's not symbolic in any way. And I don't think half these guys Domon is fighting now are even human. Neo Greece's guy was bigger than Argo! And Neo India's guy here is freakin' GREEN.

BURNING ERUPTING FINGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.

Dub cast announced for Inu x Boku SS. In the role of the lead couple are Hilary Haag and Chris Patton, who should naturally have some excellent chemistry from their FMP days as Tessa and Sosuke.

You just reminded me that I miss Tessa. Scuse me while I go cry that I'll never get to see the Tessa flipping the bird scene.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You know, this brings up a question I had - do voice recording sessions still take place in isolation at US studios?

I remember actors talking about literally phoning in their sessions, so...

CorvoSol

Gundam 0083 7

You know, I simultaneously do and do not get the hate for this show. I mean, on the one hand, it's REALLY bad, but on the other, it isn't outstandingly awful like AGE or 00. It's just terribly lame. It's like, if being lame were a sport or a class, then Stardust Memory would be that kid who didn't apply himself. It's just cheesy and awkward and so terribly dumb.

Part of me loves how awful it is.

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 40

This was my favorite episode in a while.

Porun riding on Chutaro and making friends with him was amazing. He is now officially better than the other two. It's set in stone now, and I'm done apologizing for it.

Honoka really brought the adorable in this one. Her interactions with Nagisa in this episode were great. From teaching her how to peel a potato, them and the other girls shopping in the store, and then them together in the same bed, and holding hands when Grandma came home :)sdburton approved, most likely), she really brought her A game.

Though I have to wonder why they didn't just trap them in their dreams in the Dark World to begin with if they knew they could do that. Didn't work, but I probably wouldn't have thought it wouldn't work. And if they know where they live...now there's just no excuse for them still being alive and you not completing your task.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
I hate to be the bearer of obvious questions, but is there any way I can legally watch some of the new stuff like Tamako Market, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Psycho Pass from the UK? Crunchyroll doesn't have them listed, and Funimation and ANN seem to be IP blocked.

BluWacky

I hate to be the bearer of obvious questions, but is there any way I can legally watch some of the new stuff like Tamako Market, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Psycho Pass from the UK? Crunchyroll doesn't have them listed, and Funimation and ANN seem to be IP blocked.

Tamako Market is available on Anime On Demand, but the other two are no gos - JoJo has yet to be licensed at all for streaming and Psycho Pass isn't available in the UK.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
Tamako Market is available on Anime On Demand, but the other two are no gos - JoJo has yet to be licensed at all for streaming and Psycho Pass isn't available in the UK.

Ah, okay. Thanks for getting back to me.

Would Anime on Demand be considered one of the more comprehensive sites? I'd rather not have multiple subscriptions.

Saint Seiya Omega 49

That was pretty cool. If nothing else, this show (or arc I suppose if it's continuing) is having a pretty solid finale. Abzu is legitimately intimidating and I'm loving it.

DiGiKerot

I see. Thanks for getting back to me. Would Anime on Demand be considered one of the more comprehensive sites? I'd rather not have multiple subscriptions.

Well, if you jump on at watch Tamako now, you'll not have to pay since the service is free until the end of this season at least.

Generally, though, they tend to have some... weird scheduling issues outside of what typically ends up being one or two shows a season. At the moment, Tamako goes up bang on schedule on Thursdays every week, but pretty much everything else outside of Magi is weeks behind.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Plastic Nee-San

Well that was great. I'm usually not the biggest fan of anime comedies, but I think everything worked really well. A couple of jokes fell flat, but some of them were also pretty great. I especially appreciated the numerous panty shots, even though weren't sexual they still sexual to me.

Straight Title Robot Anime 7
tumblr_mjzfahvunL1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mjzfahvunL1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Pretty good episodes because they focused ONLY on the best aspect of the anime, the va's having fun from various situations. Kato's va still the funniest and Fuuji and Mori had really good moments.

Narag

It sounds like Attack on Titan is going to have some amount of original anime content. It's mentioned in a recent blog post for the magazine it runs in, and the editor also mentions that the manga author is somewhat involved with the anime production. Hmmm... I sure hope it's not another Magi.

Bring it. I'll never know any better.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't feel like recommending Blood-C ever again. Purely because they will have to go through The Last Dark.

The trolling dream is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom