• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Finished Fate/Zero.

:(

Kariya did not deserve that. Dammit, Urobuchi.

Amazing trip, begs to be followed up by Fate Stay/Night.
(The VN of course.)

Defuser

Gintama, Hakuoki, Brave 10 , Sengoku Basara, Oda Nobuna, Samurai Girls, Sengoku Collection, Amatsuki.etc Is there a reason why this genre is so damn popular?

duckroll

So... another 7 samurai anime but based on nobunaga?

It doesn't sound like it's a normal "anime".

"Kawamori explained that he was inspired by trips to Broadway and Las Vegas to create live entertainment for his next project. He pointed to the in-anime concerts in Macross Frontier, which combined performers with visual imagery and other forms of media, as an example of what he wants to accomplish, and he noted his collaboration with the idol group AKB48 as another example."

Narag

Gintama, Hakuoki, Brave 10 , Sengoku Basara, Oda Nobuna, Samurai Girls, Sengoku Collection, Amatsuki.etc Is there a reason why this genre is so damn popular?

Seems really romanticized so that's probably why.

"Kawamori explained that he was inspired by trips to Broadway and Las Vegas to create live entertainment for his next project. He pointed to the in-anime concerts in Macross Frontier, which combined performers with visual imagery and other forms of media, as an example of what he wants to accomplish, and he noted his collaboration with the idol group AKB48 as another example."

I hope Nobunaga is an idol now and all the generals have singing competitions against one another.

Instro

Everyone at TAF seems to be banking on nostalgia. Kawamoto just completed an illustration for Cowboy Bebop at the BONES booth. Lolz.

https://twitter.com/sunriserights/status/314593439427735552
https://twitter.com/sunriserights/status/314597453716389888

pPhs9y1.jpg
76uhzxf.jpg

Cowboy Bebop Fumoffu edges ever closer.

Dresden

Rotoscoped anime musical.

Articalys

Case in point?
I suppose that is also an example, though I was thinking more along the lines of being able to easily browse 2ch/blog headlines. The general translation gap for actually consuming the media itself has kind of been an understood thing for a while now.

Shergal

Hyouka 19 (Rewatch)

Another episode dedicated fully to a classroom, but this was pretty enjoyable. Probably because the structure is a tiny bit different, as there's no mystery. Instead, it's dedicated fully to the brainstorming process, and not just an explanation of a conclusion. Of course, the fact that they were building it from nothing was also unusual, and the whole ordeal was self-aware of a number of things about Oreki and the show. The script was quite solid due to that and a number of nice details and gags inserted throughout the episode. It's interesting that a Kyoani employee wrote it (Miyuki Egami, an inbetweener). Just another aspect of the studio; promoting inbetweeners to scriptwriters started with Nichijou, and continued with Hyouka, but no inbetweener was present in Chuu2 or Tamako. I wonder if someday a Kyoani employee will compose an entire series for them.

But for an episode that consists of a conversation between two people sitting in a room, I thought it flowed pretty well. It speaks of the strength of the characters and their chemistry after 19 episodes, and of the director's talent. Taiichi Ogawa did the episode, and his staging is pretty good. It's obvious that he's young and new, since sometimes I think he goes a bit overboard with his style, but he shows a lot of potential.
sNnpqGt.jpg
EODeuZa.jpg

These two I liked. The first establishes the setting and our characters, and while not revolutionary, it's perfectly placed at the beginning. The second is mostly layout, but I thought it did a nice job with the situation and Oreki's "challenging" attitude. This over-blowing of irrelevant stuff is one of the best points in Hyouka due to how it's executed.

The nice point spicing things up is, of course, the sexual tension between the two leads. From this episode up until the end, it's heavily played up, and rightly so. It's a new element in the show that keeps it fresh, and gives the animators and directors plenty of stuff to work with. The last three episodes are some of the more enjoyable due to this aspect (and well, because they're very character-centric). But there's also what I thought was an above average visual representation of the brainstorming. It was pretty consistent, fitted the obscure mystery "solved" through abstract speculation, and the kinda analytical approach to the imagery was mostly unseen in Hyouka. It was also wacky and fun. Since this stuff is interspersed with the classroom scenes, it took a decent amount of screentime, and it was another good decision to make the pace steadier.

Other stuff I liked were these two shots:
For the would-be conversation between X and Y, using the camera angle and the tone of Oreki's voice to make the scene register instantly. These little things are very nice for the slow episodes, and go a long way to making them good to watch.

The animation level was not as good as the peak of Hyouka, but it complemented the episode perfectly. Chitanda's expressions were nicely drawn and the scene at the end too. Seiichi Akitake was the AD for the episode. He did a pretty good job for his two Hyouka episodes, which are better than his usual work.

I also appreciated Air's return at the end. The piece is always used for the more reflexive sequences dealing with Oreki and Chitanda's relationship and how their views might clash or interact, and it does a pretty damn good job of enhancing the scene it's in. Props to Bach, lol. The lightning in the second part, and in that whole sequence at the end was also top-notch, and as it was also a display of character development, it's easily the best part of the episode. Hyouka really likes endings.

Instro

I think it's actually going to be a live performance event. Like a stage show, but augmented with animation and visual effects or something. Dunno. Seems confusing.

Kawamori is really on the ball this time, confusing his audience before he's even shown anything!

Instro

Saint Seiya Omega 49

So so cool. Actual fighting and kicking and mega explosions and a big beam fight! Also a new Sahashi track or two I believe. This show has been pretty awesome ever since
Koga made his heel turn
. It's a shame it goes through such ups and downs, like ever so often the show will hit a section of really good episodes and then it will be shit again for a while. It's been a continuous cycle since the beginning.

Jex

Gundam 0083 7

You know, I simultaneously do and do not get the hate for this show. I mean, on the one hand, it's REALLY bad, but on the other, it isn't outstandingly awful like AGE or 00. It's just terribly lame. It's like, if being lame were a sport or a class, then Stardust Memory would be that kid who didn't apply himself. It's just cheesy and awkward and so terribly dumb.

Part of me loves how awful it is.

You're not even there yet so hold you tongue, young one.

Jex

Well, the podcast was three years ago or whenever. I presume that Bang Zoom or Funimation or whoever it was didn't want to pay him to go do work at another studio.

IIRC, it was a courtesy because it was a remake or something and they were trying to get the old cast to do it but he had since moved and they weren't going to pay him to fly to their studio.

I don't care enough to actually track down the podcast episode and listen to it though.

Well, Bang Zoom are such a quality outfit that this doesn't surprise me. I believe separate recording is true of many videogames as well because it's easier and cheaper.

Jex

@RollingPirahna 3 min

Okay, some clarification on the Blue Uru stuff which was going around a several hours ago. It's real, and we'll definitely hear more today.

@RollingPirahna 2 min

Yamaga then let slip at the event that Blue Uru is back on track and that there will be a formal announcement at Tokyo Anime Fair today.

@RollingPirahna 1 min

Hiroyuki Yamaga will be directing & writing the anime, and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will do the character designs. Sadamoto will also do a manga.

@RollingPirahna 2 min

It seems the manga will run in Young Ace, and it will be replacing the Evangelion manga which Sadamoto says will be ending shortly.

Duckroll I love you.
More info about Blue Uru revival:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/samepa/touch/20130320/1363818902

Okay, yesterday night there was one of those bar/club events with anime creators featuring Osamu Kobayashi. Since he's totally bros with a bunch of Gainax guys, Hiroyuki Yamaga and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto were there too. During the chit chat at the event, Yamaga let it slip that Blue Uru is finally coming back and that they're going to announce it for real today at TAF 2013. The details they leaked were that Yamaga is directing and writing, and Sadamoto will be handling the character designs. Sadamoto also said that the Evangelion manga will finally be ending soon, and that after that he plans on starting the Blue Uru manga in the same magazine. They're regathering as much of the original staff as possible to make this finally fucking happen!

Isthisreallife.jpg

Edit: Regulus Tera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_<

NQGYr-1.gif

duckroll

Looks like Kawamori's "The Fool" has an official site now: http://the-fool-project.jp

The info is mostly the same as what ANN had, but the site definitely confirms that the first part of the project - "Nobunaga The Fool" is a live performance show. The first show is due to open in Winter 2013.

Jarmel

Banned
It means you buy a ticket and you watch a live performance show. Not sure how it's hard to understand!

Does he have any expertise in this at all? This is just so insanely bizarre. Why would you need character designs for this? Are they going to flash a bunch of images on an actual stage and play some music in the background?

Narag

Does he have any expertise in this at all? This is just so insanely bizarre. Why would you need character designs for this? Are they going to flash a bunch of images on an actual stage and play some music in the background?

Maybe it translates into costume design, hair styling, etc.

duckroll

Does he have any expertise in this at all? This is just so insanely bizarre. Why would you need character designs for this?

Where is the concept art and art production going to come from if you don't have designs? It's some sort of multimedia performance, so it's probably not just people acting on stage either. It's not specifically a stage play, it's a live performance event. It just means there is a physical venue where you have to attend to watch a performance, but the specific contents aren't really clear at this point.

Kawamori has a lot of experience with virtual concerts, I'm sure he'll do a great job with realizing that vision in a real physical space! (lol)

But that artwork's going to waste!

Not necessarily!

Articalys

Let me see if I've got all these TAF announcements straight:

- P.A. Works is making a show for the Summer season based on a novel from the Tatami Galaxy author with character designs from Koji Kumeta, guaranteeing absolute insanity
- Kawamori is now a Broadway producer making shows for DTL
- Patlabor live action movie confirmed, which I'm sure Maiden Japan will eventually license the way things are going
- Gainax is now making eleven billion new shows including the long-awaited sequel to their first feature film

And this is just the first day!

Did I miss anything?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Let me see if I've got all these announcements straight:

- P.A. Works is making a show for the Summer season based on a novel from the Tatami Galaxy author with character designs from Koji Kumeta, guaranteeing absolute insanity
- Kawamori is now a Broadway producer making shows for DTL
- Patlabor live action movie confirmed, which I'm sure Maiden Japan will eventually license the way things are going
- Gainax is now making eleven billion new shows including the long-awaited sequel to their first feature film

And this is just the first day!

Did I miss anything?
Ikuhara's new anime to be announced on Saturday! (PENGUINBEAR?!?!?!?!)

duckroll

It depends on what type of artist Yone Kazuki is but drawing 2D stuff is radically different from costume designing and even hair styling is usually a separate thing as well.

The character designs are just original base designs. They're meant for concept and illustration purposes. Just like how anime adaptations usually have a different animation character designer, if they need costumes and props there'll be other people in charge.

Jarmel

Banned
The character designs are just original base designs. They're meant for concept and illustration purposes. Just like how anime adaptations usually have a different animation character designer, if they need costumes and props there'll be other people in charge.

The thing though with live action is that the designs have to be based around the actual actors. Whatever, it'll work itself out either way I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom