• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gintama] - 264

gtammaa_zps685a4fa9.png:original

Well fuck. It was fun while it lasted but I guess nothing lasts forever.

Valvrave site update: http://www.valvrave.com/mechanic/#m1_wp

Valvrave's... weapons. Lulz.

----

I means I need an editor. Feel free to apply for the position! Lol.

The sickle look like a toy to cut fruits from trees..

Congratulations, you sound like a crazy person!

He probably find fun in watching the characters as his gif implies ?

[Gintama] - 264

gtammaa_zps685a4fa9.png:original

Well fuck. It was fun while it lasted but I guess nothing lasts forever.

It's a joke
Dammit we're to close to the manga ...don't let this end.....

duckroll

The sickle look like a toy to cut fruits from trees..

I can't stop noticing how the designs of all the weapons look like they're made with plastic accessory molding in mind for the model kit. Everything looks kinda cheap, and thin, and you can see where the parts will fit together and which are the clear parts which snap on. Arghhhhhh. Lol.

I can't stop noticing how the designs of all the weapons look like they're made with plastic accessory molding in mind for the model kit. Everything looks kinda cheap, and thin, and you can see where the parts will fit together and which are the clear parts which snap on. Arghhhhhh. Lol.

I agree even the sword give this "toy" vibe that is hard to ignore for now.. maybe it'll look better in motion but i'm pessimistic.

The rest of the weapons however are for the moment a big no. If i was the main character i'd ask for a new gear.

Syrinx

I saw you post in the cleveland thread. You are from Carolinas?

Well I grew up in Connecticut. I moved down here to the Charlotte area with my mother and brothers about 15 months ago. Mother couldn't take the weather anymore, and it was fucking awful to have to shovel all that snow only for it to pile up again and again. And I realize this conflicts with me preferring cold over hot, but winter of 2011 in Connecticut was...something else entirely. And so I started following hockey as I've been growing pretty disenchanted with the NBA (though I never followed it all that closely), and so the Hurricanes are giving me a team to root for in hockey and a local team, cause fuck the Panthers and LOL Bobcats.

cajunator

Banned
Well I grew up in Connecticut. I moved down here to the Charlotte area with my mother and brothers about 15 months ago. Mother couldn't take the weather anymore, and it was fucking awful to have to shovel all that snow only for it to pile up again and again. And I realize this conflicts with me preferring cold over hot, but winter of 2011 in Connecticut was...something else entirely. And so I started following hockey as I've been growing pretty disenchanted with the NBA (though I never followed it all that closely), and so the Hurricanes are giving me a team to root for in hockey and a local team, cause fuck the Panthers and LOL Bobcats.

As an NFC South rival fan, I agree!

Hockey isnt so bad. My roommate was a hockey player. He accidentally put a hole in the wall in the hallway with his head. I covered it up with a wallscroll of Saber.

Syrinx

As an NFC South rival fan, I agree!

Hockey isnt so bad. My roommate was a hockey player. He accidentally put a hole in the wall in the hallway with his head. I covered it up with a wallscroll of Saber.

Was he playing hockey or did he just headbutt the wall or something?

cajunator

Banned
Was he playing hockey or did he just headbutt the wall or something?

I think he was tired and passed out in the hallway right into the wall.
He is kind of clumsy. I heard a huge bang one day and went to check on him and he had somehow fallen down and pulled the dresser and the TV on top of him. I'm clumsy too but I mean DAMN. Of course I also slipped on our cat with a bowl full of hot soup and made a HUGE mess in the hall. Luckily we have stone tile floors.

PsionBolt

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's

- AHH. I've waited so very long! Hype levels more than maximum. I cannot express this in words.

- First, what everyone of fine taste is most excited about: The transformation scenes. Transformations in Nanoha have always had that crunchy, almost-mecha-musume feel to them, but this movie really knocks it out the park. I'm not happy they removed Nanhoha kissing Raising Heart, but when half of your transformation sequence is spent on the catridge-loading, steam-venting staff device, you know you've got a winner. The redesigned barrier jackets' metal pieces really make this work.

- Nanoha's transformation was still better than Fate's, but not to as severe a degree as in the Movie 1st. Here, the girls are almost equal, but Raising Heart Excelion is cooler than Bardiche Assault. Also,
Hayate's transofrmation is much improved, but not quite as intense as either Nanoha's or Fate's.

- Aside from the transformations, the level of lewd is lower than Movie 1st - I didn't catch a single pantyshot in the entire movie. The pure kind of lewd is present in spades, though.

- I had forgotten that Hayate had an accent - or rather, I'm not even sure I ever knew at all. I didn't know much Japanese when A's first aired. It's quite noticeable in this movie, though.

- Fights and plot details.
- Those CG snakes... Why... The final boss CG was also bad, but less obviously so. All it did was sit there, flail a bit, and get ganked by everyone's super moves at once, so it didn't have much chance to get on my nerves.

- They shifted focus from the final boss to the second-to-final, and it worked great. It's like ten minutes straight of fast-paced, high-powered Nanoha vs. Reinforce. Some of the choreography and camera work was just astounding - one shot is ~10 seconds of Nanoha's POV, while she fights in melee range, and eventually gets nailed by an arm-mounted pile bunker after blocking a punch with her staff. It was crazy.

- They restructured the entire beginning half, so most of the fights from the series don't quite appear. The same characters fight, but under different circumstances and with entirely new choreography. Unlike the Movie 1st, which used redrwan cuts almost as often as Rebuild 1.0, the Movie 2nd is all new, all the time. The movie and the series have the same plot summary, but vastly different specific details.

The most major change is the removal of the Admiral / twins subplot. I actually forgot this even was a thing while watching and writing this, so clearly that worked out.

- The way they did things was a lot better for the pacing than Movie 1st, and it turned out excellently.

Verdict: Go and watch it immediately.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Real Psycho-Pass END Impressions

So... the ending was pretty garbage. The problem with this show is that Akane's narration dramatized the entire case when in entirety it was just "another case" in the life of an inspector/enforcer. It was pretty mediocre how everything ended up resolving and in actuality it feels like nothing happened. Maybe it was because the conclusion wasn't what I expected but I felt that it just didn't wrap anything up. Things happened and life goes on. Issues were brought up but they get dropped entirely. Makishima's character was pretty much ruined. Akane is godmode apparently which is dumb as fuck. And the irrelevant characters get way too much screentime. Direction, pacing, and the actual narrative is all over the place. It was a poorly executed ending but most importantly it was a poorly executed episode. Just... Ugh.

jbug617

Banned
Amagami SS Sae Nakata Arc

This arc is really different compared to the other two. First off there is a narrator and I don't think it worked that well. I think what the narrator was meant for is to show how shy both Junichi and Sae are. I don't see Junichi being shy because off all the weird things he made her do in the second episode.

My rankings right now at the half way mark.

Kaoru
Haruka/Sae

cajunator

Banned
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's

- AHH. I've waited so very long! Hype levels more than maximum. I cannot express this in words.

- First, what everyone of fine taste is most excited about: The transformation scenes. Transformations in Nanoha have always had that crunchy, almost-mecha-musume feel to them, but this movie really knocks it out the park. I'm not happy they removed Nanhoha kissing Raising Heart, but when half of your transformation sequence is spent on the catridge-loading, steam-venting staff device, you know you've got a winner. The redesigned barrier jackets' metal pieces really make this work.

- Nanoha's transformation was still better than Fate's, but not to as severe a degree as in the Movie 1st. Here, the girls are almost equal, but Raising Heart Excelion is cooler than Bardiche Assault. Also,
Hayate's transofrmation is much improved, but not quite as intense as either Nanoha's or Fate's.

- Aside from the transformations, the level of lewd is lower than Movie 1st - I didn't catch a single pantyshot in the entire movie. The pure kind of lewd is present in spades, though.

- I had forgotten that Hayate had an accent - or rather, I'm not even sure I ever knew at all. I didn't know much Japanese when A's first aired. It's quite noticeable in this movie, though.

- Fights and plot details.
- Those CG snakes... Why... The final boss CG was also bad, but less obviously so. All it did was sit there, flail a bit, and get ganked by everyone's super moves at once, so it didn't have much chance to get on my nerves.

- They shifted focus from the final boss to the second-to-final, and it worked great. It's like ten minutes straight of fast-paced, high-powered Nanoha vs. Reinforce. Some of the choreography and camera work was just astounding - one shot is ~10 seconds of Nanoha's POV, while she fights in melee range, and eventually gets nailed by an arm-mounted pile bunker after blocking a punch with her staff. It was crazy.

- They restructured the entire beginning half, so most of the fights from the series don't quite appear. The same characters fight, but under different circumstances and with entirely new choreography. Unlike the Movie 1st, which used redrwan cuts almost as often as Rebuild 1.0, the Movie 2nd is all new, all the time. The movie and the series have the same plot summary, but vastly different specific details.

- The way they did it was a lot better for the pacing than Movie 1st, and it turned out excellently.

Verdict: Go and watch it immediately.

Any movie based on Nanoha A's is pretty likely to be epic and amazing. Taking the essence of the Nanoha series and showcasing the best parts of it sounds like a good source of entertainment. Just skip all the child drama and go right to cute magical girls beating the ever loving fuck out of each other.

Caesnd

Oh wow. Aoki Uru? Well, time to dig out that 98' cd again. I have little hope that whatever Gainax can come up with now will live up to idea I have of the project in my head, but I am looking forward to seeing them try.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amagami SS Sae Nakata Arc

This arc is really different compared to the other two. First off there is a narrator and I don't think it worked that well. I think what the narrator was meant for is to show how shy both Junichi and Sae are. I don't see Junichi being shy because off all the weird things he made her do in the second episode.

My rankings right now at the half way mark.

Kaoru
Haruka/Sae

The narrator gimmick is the only thing that saves that arc though. It's like the director realized that the character herself is too boring to carry a story on her own.

---

Gintama fin

Welp, I guess it's time to move on to Naruto or Bleach now that Gintama is over for good! I hope they make a Kintama season 2 though.

And you know, I still love when they use the
"sad theme" music
to troll people. It was funny in the Elizabeth arc and it was funny here. All that was really missing was a big old 80s style
record scratch.
lol

But yeah, I don't have much to say about the arc... probably because the Courtesan arc is still very fresh in my mind. It had a great denouement though.

DiGiKerot

Dammit need this already. Unfortunately Amazon still use DHL, who are godawful, so it's not going to be here until Tuesday ;_; First movie was so good.

Oh well, at least I have this to watch tonight:

I'm still waiting for my copies of both Nanoha and Smile to ship out, so I guess I'll not be watching Nanoha at least until next week.

Steroyd

The narrator gimmick is the only thing that saves that arc though. It's like the director realized that the character herself is too boring to carry a story on her own.

Pretty much, I only ever thought the narrator was there to fill the void called Sae's personality.

Fisico

Robotics;Note 22

It sure was a boring anime, the final batte was slow as fuck and not interesting at all, it was all about Kai spamming his super special skill and using the omgawesome software of Sawada (who is this guy already ?).

Overall I don't even remember what they were doing during these 22 episodes, surely they lost most of the time doing nothing but screwing around in school, the only memorable episode being the one starring Mista Pleaides... and it was at the very beginning.

mista-pleiades-roboti0hrw3.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Why hasnt any Precure ever been licensed outside of Japan?
I think thats one of the biggest in a long line of licensing failures the industry has had.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 11

Well that was kinda stupid.
So Tsukino had an...alternate personality created by all her negative feelings? And it was defeated by the power of love? Or something?

Eh, whatever. Shit's dumb. One episode left, and from the looks of it, it's back to romcom status quo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kotoura-san 11

Well that was kinda stupid.
So Tsukino had an...alternate personality created by all her negative feelings? And it was defeated by the power of love? Or something?

Eh, whatever. Shit's dumb. One episode left, and from the looks of it, it's back to romcom status quo.
lol

I figure that was expected, really.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why hasnt any Precure ever been licensed outside of Japan?
I think thats one of the biggest in a long line of licensing failures the industry has had.

a.) there are only like ten people outside of animegaf who care about it in the English-language world. not financially viable.

b.) when in doubt, blame Toei

c.) some of the seasons have actually been dubbed for children's television in Italy and Malaysia, so it depends on the market.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, if I stalled on Psycho-Pass halfway in, is it safe to say now that it's not worth catching up with the rest?

Waterworld plus giant robots.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who legit loves Waterworld and I have to say that this is half of the reason for my excitement.

cajunator

Banned
So, if I stalled on Psycho-Pass halfway in, is it safe to say now that it's not worth catching up with the rest?

I'm probably the only person on the planet who legit loves Waterworld and I have to say that this is half of the reason for my excitement.

I loved Waterworld first!

BluWacky

So is that expo or convention or whatever over, and duckroll got me hyped for Sailor Moon info for nothing?

There are two big conventions happening/coming up. This week is Tokyo Anime Fair, next week is Anime Contents Expo. I have no idea which of the two (if either) there are supposed to be Sailormoon announcements at, but it's not as if there's no chance of something happening.

Varion

I'm still waiting for my copies of both Nanoha and Smile to ship out, so I guess I'll not be watching Nanoha at least until next week.
Well that makes me feel better about having to wait until Tuesday.

And damn, R;N is over already? Need to finish off the last few episodes and see how much they messed up the last few chapters then. Can't be as bad as Chaos;Head's last episode at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom