• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

So, if I stalled on Psycho-Pass halfway in, is it safe to say now that it's not worth catching up with the rest?

story/narrative/characters; 30% plain awful. 55% mediocre and mostly boring. 5% good, entertaining. 10% pretentious 'quoting' scenes

animation/quality; changes from average to awful to completely hideous, it vibrates between those.

overall a waste of time and never really reaches even close to realizing the potential that a premise and setting like this could have had.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

SENGOKU ANIME, MY SWEET, SWEET LIFEBLOOD

I like how hes not even trying with the titles anymore.

He's basically telling everybody that you'd have to be a total fool to watch his next "masterpiece".

For all the "fool" jokes, one of Nobunaga's historical titles was the "Fool of Owari" before his rise to power.

JNz3hIn.jpg

Watch the AB Group dubs and you won't even care about the music.

I will, DBZ is so much better with rock music, my god, I didn't even care about the bands before and will likely not care in the future but the songs makes the fights so much more awesome. Can't believe the generic dbz tunes were played through the entire show.

Conan-san

AB Group dubs still use the original JP score; I'm just saying that they're an entirely different experience altogether.

As a brit let me clear that up;

The AB Dub of the series (Which used CanCon actors, Ocean Group, mostly) used a sort of communal pool of BGM that was used for itself, Megaman and Monster Rancher (and a few other shows, maybe). The highlight of this is the fact that the Androids get exclusive use of the Megaman theme song minus the lyrics.

The AB Dub of the movies as well as being just downright poor dubs in their own right (Apparently it was Dutch VA we got), used the Japanese BGM.

I can't bring myself to finish Higurashi, it was so bad that I stopped near the end of s1 months ago, it made me lose my appetite in the anime medium. Give me 1 reason why I should resume watching this.

Soma

sure can't wait for any negative comment/criticism of the Aku no Hana anime to be deflected by those absolutely wonderful SHIT EATER posts!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It just feels like a copout
giving Tsukino an actual alternate personality that functions like some sort of demonic possession or something instead of just having her be straight up evil or whatever
Yeah, but she's basically an extreme version of
Moritani
. I just never expected this show to really go dark anyway, especially since the crimes are relatively minor.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
As a brit let me clear that up;

No, The AB Dub of the series used a sort of communal pool of BGM that was used for itself, Megaman and Monster Rancher (and a few other shows, maybe)

The AB Dub of the movies as well as being frustratinly poor dubs in thier own right, used the Japanese BGM.

Wow, not even 4kids sunk that low with their "OSTs" :lol

I only know of the movies because unfortunately, outside of a few VHS recordings that have been uploaded to youtube, the AB Group dub of the series is completely lost to time as it seems to have never received a home video release. It's a tragedy on par with the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wow, not even 4kids sunk that low with their "OSTs" :lol

I only know of the movies because unfortunately, outside of a few VHS recordings that have been uploaded to youtube, the AB Group dub of the series is completely lost to time as it seems to have never received a home video release. It's a tragedy on par with the burning of the Library of Alexandria.
I thought that AB Group didn't do the same shenanigans with the series as they did with the movies, as they collaborated with the Westwood/Ocean dub.

sure can't wait for any negative comment/criticism of the Aku no Hana anime to be deflected by those absolutely wonderful SHIT EATER posts!

? If this is directed at me, I don't actually expect it to be good, it was just a joke. And I don't really think anyone uses SHIT EATER seriously.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sounds like a lot of shit eating going on here, better get all that shit out your mouth if you want people to listen.

Conan-san

Yeah, I'd imagine one's outlook would be quite different if it weren't just an alternative but the only thing available.

Not to slip back to what was my 'nam (My HS career was a wash and Uni was that "Best time of my life" that everyone says HS was, lemme just put it that way) but Toonami UK was an utter hash. Whoever at Bandai fucked up in not giving us G and 0078 Gundam should be fired into a cannon into the sun.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I thought that AB Group didn't do the same shenanigans with the series as they did with the movies, as they collaborated with the Westwood/Ocean dub.

Well damn, now I can't even find a single AB Group clip from the series on youtube to prove/disprove this. I'll just assume you're right because I'm sure you read that somewhere.

Soma

? If this is directed at me, I don't actually expect it to be good, it was just a joke. And I don't really think anyone uses SHIT EATER seriously.

nah not at anyone in particular, i was being pretty facetious anyhow. lol

i dunno my thoughts on the thing are conflicted. i'm not a fan of the manga but for some reason i'm actually excited for the anime (rotoscoping and all).

nah not at anyone in particular, i was being pretty facetious anyhow. lol

i dunno my thoughts on the thing are conflicted. i'm not a fan of the manga but for some reason i'm actually excited for the anime (rotoscoping and all).

I'm pretty much the same way, don't care for the manga mostly but excited for whatever insanity they're going to throw at us in the anime. It probably won't be good but at least it'll be unique.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i never figured out what those numbers meant, now that I finally know, they're gone.

Articalys

Haganai NEXT 11

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, since the last episode was the end of LN volume 7, it's worth posting the prologue to volume 8 here. Read it before you watch the episode, if you'd like.
http://pastebin.com/1rwsPBZt

edit: This is a tweet from Misato Fuuken (Rika), posted right after the episode ended.
"
Kodaka: "Eh? What'd you say?"
"

edit2: you know, this really is yet another LN adaptation that's losing a lot by cutting out the narration and trimming things down.

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass fin-
Well it wasn't a bad ending. It's obvious they're trying to set this up as an actual franchise similar to Ghost in the Shell. That said, this is Urobuchi-lite in all manners. There was none of the crushing despair in Madoka or interesting characters in Fate/Zero. I do think Akane is probably the best female lead I've seen in any of his works (I haven't gone through Saya no Uta) as she actually develops and progresses into a solid character at the end of the show. Unlike Madoka who is relatively passive throughout MM, Akane is more proactive and her development is much clearer. That said, there is nothing notable about the rest of the cast. There is almost zero development given to anyone other than Ginoza and they should have definitely fleshed out Ginoza much more than what he got.

As to the show as a whole, it worked better when it focused less on the episodic bullshit arcs that weren't interesting in either a commentary way or actual content(like action). Shiotani really failed in his directing duties here. I actually wonder if the show was based around 11 episodes and a sudden boost meant they had to stretch 11 episodes of content over 22. I think a faster pace would have definitely helped the show. The animation budget also looks to have been misplaced or spent on hookers.

One thing about the show is that it focused on bureaucracy and the law but didn't really have much meaningful to say about it. Urobuchi didn't make a strong case either for or against the system so the audience is left with a 'meh' perspective on the whole event. It feels like a college essay summing up other authors' points of view. While there were many graphic events such as the high school lesbian arc, it didn't put any evidence either towards or against the actual system.

Oh and floating CGI trucks. Seriously IG can't do CGI properly and should either get better quickly or stop. I hold no hopes about the new GITS due to their flagrant abuse of CGI.

In short, Shiotani should stick to openings and Urobuchi might need a firm hand when overseeing his writing.

Kagami

It just feels like a copout
giving Tsukino an actual alternate personality that functions like some sort of demonic possession or something instead of just having her be straight up evil or whatever

Well there had to be some reason why Kotoura never heard a single thought from her that revealed anything.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 S2 2

You know, it sickens me to say this, but so far S2 is off to a much better start than S1. S1 spends its time running in circles with 50 million plot lines, and S2 is doing a much better job of going->Get the Band together->Is Ribbons a Boy or a Girl?->Get the Military Band together-> Action Sequence.

I can take 3 crazy ass plotlines and a fight at the end of the episode, formulaic or not. I fully expect it all to fall apart, but these last two episodes have been decent, compared to the crap that the rest of this show has been. Setsuna hasn't even said GUH NDUM yet, so maybe we'll be okay. Seeing Sumiragi as a hopeless drunk being continuously date raped by her former scientist boyfriend (I thought he was gay?) was also acceptable.

Lockon has gone from my favorite to least favorite character in literally 2 episodes. Mostly because every time I see him I get the urge to scream "YOU'RE NOT LOCKON!" And am reminded of the circular stupidity that lead to that moment. Setsuna, as I've mentioned before, is okay when he's not whining about how God's mistreated him or how he wants to be a Guh ndum.

And I guess Ribbons and also EVEN MORE FEMININE Tieria are also cyborgs like Tieria, what with their glowing eyes.

And ughfortunately Nena is alive and working for Ribbons Hallmark. My favorite team ups right there.

Let me be clear when I say that this show is still the 2nd worst Gundam I've ever seen, but these past two episodes were more enjoyable than most of the last season, I'll give it that.

Grzi

Magi - 23

This show has reached critical levels of :wonzo
It's embarrassing, really.

As of right now, I'd say Kingdom is a better looking show than Magi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom