• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Psycho-Pass 22

Congrats to the only show that I've finished in 2013. It's been a fucking dreadful year (to the point where I honestly want to quit anime) where I've literally dropped everything else I've started, Spring cannot get here soon enough.

Really fulfilling ending. Its got a fair bit of :firehawk
in the end Sibyl wins
and :
sdburton (awwwwww yeah) - both quite literally and figuratively as the garden has no place for useless old men
to it. I'm glad nothing stupid happened like
the collapse of the system

Show was full of ups and downs but in the end I enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely left some wiggle room for an OVA or whatever which is nice too.

Blast of Tempest 23
tumblr_mk13tdxKJR1rn98vpo1_500.gif

Great Hanemura/Mahiro moments and even just Mahiro/Yoshino moments to convince the team. I hope this doesnt turn into another type of Spiral~ish ending. The last moments of this episode/
If Yoshino dies or something, no. Please survive somehow. Didnt like how the preview looked Mahiro looked like he was mourning something

I did like how fashionable everyone was, to think we started this anime with winter outfits and now everyone brought out the light colored shirts, open footwear, and shorts. Ah and a pool even.

Syrinx

Goddammit I drank a cup of coffee about 45 minutes ago and now I'm hyper as shit. Why can't this shit do this to me in the morning when I need it? It's also giving me a headache so I'm taking some Advil which kinda tastes like sugar.

I should prolly use this energy to watch more Pretty Cure, huh?

Articalys

Vividred 11

Jesus christ this is so stupid. I don't know why I kept watching it this far, but with only one episode left I might as well see it through.
Those first two episodes were the only good parts of the show.

I did laugh a bit at the
terrifying unholy CG raven final boss monster
at the end of this episode though.

edit: this gif (spoilers) from the episode end is where I gave up all hope for the show.

edit2: oh, that's right, I'm still watching because of the final episode rumor I heard about
a four-way docking form

sonicmj1

Psycho Pass END

Eh.

I was really excited for this show after the first episode, but once it became clear that the show was less interested in people and more interested in making philosophical statements and quoting long-dead authors, that excitement gradually turned to apathy. The ending delivers exactly what you'd expect; no more, no less. In some ways, I'm not being fair with my disappointment in it (I want my predictions to be right!), but I also just don't feel very strongly about anything that happened.

I don't know if thinking this makes me like firehawk or something, but after that first episode I sorta hoped it'd be a show where the future is a certain way, and we explore what that future is like through the development of the characters we meet. They experience events important to them, but they're not grappling with the entire world. A crime procedural culminating in an arc like what happened from 14-16 could be fun and interesting if handled right. That's not really what this was. Because of that, the show was burdened with a lot of boring exposition, and most of the cast didn't get the development they deserved.

Basically, if they wanted to make another Ghost in the Shell, they should have made something more like Ghost in the Shell. This didn't do it for me.

I still don't know what purpose Episode 12 serves in the context of this series.

Robotics;Notes 22

I guess if anything, I liked all the robotic action in this episode. Not so much the characters or the story. I never got interested in them building a giant robot and pretty much sours the last arc of this show.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 2nd A's (man that's a long title)

They definitely outdid the first movie with two and a half hours of pure awesome in glorious high definition. It's really hard not to compare the movie to the anime though. In terms of plot, I don't mind the changes at all. Graham's story wasn't really necessary at all, as this movie has shown. The only change I was confused about is why they chose to have Fate return before the Wolkenritter attacked. I thought the part where she saved Nanoha in the series was great. I guess it saved a lot of precious time in the movie, so I'm not upset.

The Wolkenritters were great. Vita is absolutely adorable. Her fights with Nanoha are always fun to watch. The only problem is that Zafira only got like 20 lines in the movie or something. All he did was punch stuff. I don't know how they could have made it better, but they didn't even try. Also, definitely not enough action with Signum and Fate. They made up for that with a lengthy section for Fate and Alicia. I still can't believe that Nana Mizuki voices both characters because Alicia sounds nothing like what Nana's usual voices.

The transformation sequences were amazing. And Hayate got her own transformation sequence this time!

The soundtrack was amazing. The song that came right before the ending credits is my favorite (sung by Yukari Tamura).

HANDHOLDINGTHEANIME.gif

Gif shamelessly stolen from AnimeSuki.

Also, is Accel World worth watching?

If you like epic action with tons of visual flare like this, then it is definitely worth your time.
tumblr_madswr4yuV1qdmk7ho2_500.gif

It has really good battle visuals and effects and a really deep battle system. It does well in mixing real world stuff with its virtual reality sort of mmo type hybrid game system with good game mechanics. I enjoyed it and has good characters interactions, dynamics, and a really memorable antagonist. Dub is starting in April, cant wait.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If you like epic action with tons of visual flare like this, then it is definitely worth your time.
tumblr_madswr4yuV1qdmk7ho2_500.gif

It has really good battle visuals and effects and a really deep battle system. It does well in mixing real world stuff with its virtual reality sort of mmo type hybrid game system with good game mechanics. I enjoyed it and has good characters interactions, dynamics, and a really memorable antagonist. Dub is starting in April, cant wait.

Was the dub date confirmed? Also is it a weekly stream? What's the method of distirbution/release?

Was the dub date confirmed? Also is it a weekly stream? What's the method of distirbution/release?

Yes, its April 19th on viz's Neon Alley service (PS360)
Mark your calendars! April 19th is just the start of all our NEW premieres! Our jam-packed new season contains the English world premieres of Accel World, Zetman and Fate/Zero, plus brand new episodes of NARUTO Shippuden, the entire Bleach series from the very beginning, and new seasons of LAGRANGE - The Flower of Rin-ne -, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan DEMON CAPITAL and Nana, just to name a few.

Zetsuen no tempest 23

Our protagonists seem to have made basic mistake .. a ryu ga gotoku (yakuza ) mistake ...
if you beat an opponent
, always check if he has a gun or an extra gun

Anyway , episode was cool , plan was fine, hakase in a swimsuit was good.

Good episode. Looking forward to see how it will be ending in this adaptation

Haganai Next 11

Can someone tell me why Kodaka is apparently the worst person ever, yet that bitch in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time gets a pass for doing the same thing, only more harmful?

CorvoSol

Gao Gai Gar 28

So it turns out that
Primarda and Polonaise were lovers
. Coupled with the implication that
Pizza was some alien warrior whose planet fell to the Zonder
it would be logical to assume that
ALL Zondarians were once human/humano-type.
But then
what the hell WAS Penchenon, aside from the source of my nightmares?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Took me a while to get around to this but I finally watched it.

My initial impression is that this is a movie lacking in subtlety or finesse. Perhaps it's because I've been on an Earthsea binge, but I was not impressed by the world presented in the movie, nor its characters. For example we have:

Headstrong Hero who solves problems with sheer dumb luck
Meek Heroine with an INNER STRENGTH (as commented on by Old Hag)
Old Hag who, despite being a pirate, is a nice person deep inside
Lovable Goofy Crew
Antagonist who is the perfect foil for the Heroine, exemplifying the problems the movie is trying to criticize (flaws which are nonexistant in the Heroine)

Not exactly an original cast, and seemed to be designed explicitly for a lighthearted adventure story, which perhaps is the point.

In the movie itself there are airships (fine), magic floating rocks (also fine), kids who manage to swindle their way on board a pirate crew (okay), and long lost civilizations that wiped themselves out with their own technology and hubris (wait what?). It's the last point that made me roll my eyes so hard they're stuck in the back of my head and I'm writing this post blind. I know it's a common trope in fantasy but it's so overused I can no longer stomach it.

The worst part is that the movie never really tells us what happened to the Laputans, just that one day the royal family descended to Earth and were lost to history. There's no indication of civil war, or a disease outbreak, no chance they were killed because their military might rendered them invincible, how did it happen? No one knows, and I suspect, not even Miyazaki knows. We're asked to accept that the Laputans somehow killed themselves, without knowing how or why. While this itself is not a major problem (just a minor case of not enough details), the entire movie's "moral lesson" hinges on whether the Laputans' fate was deserved, and whether Sheeta made the "correct" choice in destroying the castle.

As it is, the movie implies that the reason doesn't matter, and that technology is bad, which is silly. Otherwise, why would the robots be some of the most sympathetic characters in the story?

Perhaps it says more about me than the movie itself that I can no longer enjoy a story like this without miring myself in my criticisms.

Theonik

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Probably the best thing Shaft has done that I have seen. Really enjoyed it despite some obvious shaftism, though actually thought the shaftism helped in the case of this show.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I've always liked the VR MMO concept in shows like .hack//SIGN and SAO so I'm excited to start Accel World.

I think I might end up re-watching Fate/Zero if the dub turns out to be good. Same for AW after I get through it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Probably the best thing Shaft has done that I have seen. Really enjoyed it despite some obvious shaftism, though actually thought the shaftism helped in the case of this show.

If you liked that, try Joshiraku if you haven't seen it already. It's from the same author.

Theonik

Vividred 11

Jesus christ this is so stupid. I don't know why I kept watching it this far, but with only one episode left I might as well see it through.
Those first two episodes were the only good parts of the show.

I did laugh a bit at the
terrifying unholy CG raven final boss monster
at the end of this episode though.
Butt it's fun!

If you liked that, try Joshiraku if you haven't seen it already. It's from the same author.
I was watching that before you were! (been going quite slow though should just do the last 4 eps or so tomorrow...

Branduil

My initial impression is that this is a movie lacking in subtlety or finesse. Perhaps it's because I've been on an Earthsea binge, but I was not impressed by the world presented in the movie, nor its characters. For example we have:

Lovable Goofy Crew
Antagonist who is the perfect foil for the Heroine, exemplifying the problems the movie is trying to criticize (flaws which are nonexistant in the Heroine)

Not exactly an original cast, and seemed to be designed explicitly for a lighthearted adventure story, which perhaps is the point.

In the movie itself there are airships (fine), magic floating rocks (also fine), kids who manage to swindle their way on board a pirate crew (okay), and long lost civilizations that wiped themselves out with their own technology and hubris (wait what?). It's the last point that made me roll my eyes so hard they're stuck in the back of my head and I'm writing this post blind. I know it's a common trope in fantasy but it's so overused I can no longer stomach it.

The worst part is that the movie never really tells us what happened to the Laputans, just that one day the royal family descended to Earth and were lost to history. There's no indication of civil war, or a disease outbreak, no chance they were killed because their military might rendered them invincible, how did it happen? No one knows, and I suspect, not even Miyazaki knows. We're asked to accept that the Laputans somehow killed themselves, without knowing how or why. While this itself is not a major problem (just a minor case of not enough details), the entire movie's "moral lesson" hinges on whether the Laputans' fate was deserved, and whether Sheeta made the "correct" choice in destroying the castle.

As it is, the movie implies that the reason doesn't matter, and that technology is bad, which is silly. Otherwise, why would the robots be some of the most sympathetic characters in the story?

Perhaps it says more about me than the movie itself that I can no longer enjoy a story like this without miring myself in my criticisms.

It sounds like you're judging it based on what you wanted it to be rather than what it tries to be, to be honest.

Narag

It sounds like you're judging it based on what you wanted it to be rather than what it tries to be, to be honest.

That happened to me at first until I accepted it was an early Ghibli film. It was like I was seeing recurring tropes and judging it for that rather than recognizing it as more of an originator.

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 44

Beginning with Porun and the thing that grants him wishes (since when have they had this? I could certainly think of some more practical uses for this thing than what they were doing) was awesome. I think it would be pretty rad to have miniature reindeer flying around on Christmas, but whatever. Why does he get mulligans on his wishes though?

But hey, subtle (or not, depending on your definition of subtlety) romance between Nagisa and Fuji-P. And that other dude got Honoka to dance with him. He's the biggest winner here.

Didn't really like Kiriya just popping out of nowhere though. Pretty dumb. And he really didn't say all that much, or maybe the coffee has impaired by attention span. Good thing I never felt like this during Utena.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Haganai Next 11

Can someone tell me why Kodaka is apparently the worst person ever, yet that bitch in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time gets a pass for doing the same thing, only more harmful?

Couldn't tell you, haven't seen TGWLTT. If she did the same thing, then she's just as bad. >>;

CorvoSol

Lovable Goofy Crew

The robot is the best part because it's also in Earthbound Zero. Also Mark Hamill is the villain.

Gundam 00 S2 3

Eh. Soma Pires is my new favorite character, and in my head, Lockon didn't die. That part just flat out never happened. Any scene in which they mention it, the dialogue is now dubbed over by a commercial jingle.

Couldn't tell you, haven't seen TGWLTT. If she did the same thing, then she's just as bad. >>;

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People deal with stuff like that in different ways, and I don't think it's that out of the ordinary to want to maintain the status quo to the point of feigning ignorance. He definitely knows deep down that isn't possible, but denial is always the first step.

cajunator

Banned
That really sucks.

Guess I'll have to order physical copies off of Amazon or something.

Also, is Accel World worth watching?

absolutely its worth watching! I detest SAO but if you enjoyed that, Accel world is written by the same guy.
also Kuroyukihime is your goddess.

Futari wa Pretty Cure 43

So shit gets a bit complicated with Nagisa's crush on Fuji P when one of her friends, who I'm not sure I've seen before, admits to also having a crush on him, without knowing Nagisa's feelings. She asks Nagisa to help her give him a gift, which is quite taxing on Nagisa emotionally. She decides to write him a letter, only to hear what she wrote said by Yui, which destroys her. At the end, Honoka decides to be a friend and cook her some pot stew to cheer her up and calm her down because she's a better person than you.

yes she is. Honoka is a totally wonderful character.
The show didnt focus enough on her.

Goddammit I drank a cup of coffee about 45 minutes ago and now I'm hyper as shit. Why can't this shit do this to me in the morning when I need it? It's also giving me a headache so I'm taking some Advil which kinda tastes like sugar.

I should prolly use this energy to watch more Pretty Cure, huh?

yes. capital idea!!

Robotics;Notes 22
IMPACTO! (Yep, that's really all I have to say about the finale, but I didn't find the show to be bad so yeah.)

Kotoura-san 11
Super predictable episode, but whatever I enjoyed it.

Psycho-Pass 22

I found the ending to be very fitting. I honestly wasn't expecting much aside from some sort of conclusion to Makishima and I got that so I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I am also more than thrilled about everything that happened after the time leap.
Kunizuka x Karanomori fanservice :D
Ginoza without glasses
, and
the ending scene mimicking the opening scene in the first episode.

Also THAT WAS A CEMETERY!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom