• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Splash Star 08:

If you think Engrish can be bad, you've ever encountered Jaspanish:

u3MYjGfl.jpg

Real line.

Joe Molotov

Psycho-Pass 22

Kinda meh on the ending. It was "fitting" I guess, but it certainly wasn't the feel good story of the year.

Come on, I wanted Akane to just be like "Nope." and blow Sibyl to hell, consequences be damned! :p

zeroshiki

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Took me a while to get around to this but I finally watched it.

I know this is a pretty lazy way to do a counterpoint but I just wanted to say that with the age of Laputa, the tropes you're seeing probably didn't exist in any substantial form BEFORE it. While I agree that a work should be able to stand on its own regardless of its position chronologically, the way it went about the story and how much of an impact it had on pop culture is likely why there are even tropes like it in the first place.

Plus how many movies have the honor of killing Twitter not once but twice during its TV broadcast?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know this is a pretty lazy way to do a counterpoint but I just wanted to say that with the age of Laputa, the tropes you're seeing probably didn't exist in any substantial form BEFORE it.
This is fine, I thought of this too actually. I guess it's like complaining Tolkien has too many elves and dwarves.

Haly

At this rate, people will have vicariously experienced TGWLTT through Branduil's gifs.

zeroshiki

You better not be talking about who I think you're talking about.

Its the aunt, right? Damn her.

EDIT: Since I'm the first post on the new page, I just read that the actress who plays the lead in the Tokikake live action movie just got married to that dude in the movie.

Branduil

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People deal with stuff like that in different ways, and I don't think it's that out of the ordinary to want to maintain the status quo to the point of feigning ignorance. He definitely knows deep down that isn't possible, but denial is always the first step.

I don't watch Haganai, but there's a huge difference between an author making a dislikable harem lead who won't commit to any girl just so the author can milk the series, and having a character do something for legitimate character development purposes.

Haly

Oh, and there weren't really any stand out moments of SAKUGA in Laputa like there were in Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

zeroshiki

Ghibli productions are usually of such high quality that picking out just "sakuga" is kinda unfair.

A better question would be what's the best "moment" in a Ghibli movie. I think the "Pulse" moment has to be up there.

Haly

Ghibli productions are usually of such high quality that picking out just "sakuga" is kinda unfair.
Well I was thinking relative to other Ghibli films. I mean, for all my criticisms and problems with the movie I can recognize its merits as a masterpiece. These are just personal gripes of a grumpy disillusioned old man.

A better question would be what's the best "moment" in a Ghibli movie. I think the "Pulse" moment has to be up there.

Pulse?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haganai NEXT 11
Spineless twat.

I can see why he's friend-less.
Sounds about right.
Harem leads gotta harem lead. lol

Haganai Spoilers

Since the manga and LN aren't over, I was hoping the anime would go for their own ending. Maybe I will finally see Meat win.. who am I kidding :(
I'm sure it'll end... in season 10. :p

I have a question. How is Space Brothers only one episode away from the manga? For most anime that would mean a hiatus or fillers. That's pretty damn amazing. It's now one of my favorite anime currently after catching up to it.
I assume the anime is going to end soon... although I can't see how it would end satisfactorily. I'm surprised that it would be all caught up... you'd think they would have ended in the previous arc if that was the case.

Psycho Pass END

Eh.

I was really excited for this show after the first episode, but once it became clear that the show was less interested in people and more interested in making philosophical statements and quoting long-dead authors, that excitement gradually turned to apathy. The ending delivers exactly what you'd expect; no more, no less. In some ways, I'm not being fair with my disappointment in it (I want my predictions to be right!), but I also just don't feel very strongly about anything that happened.

I don't know if thinking this makes me like firehawk or something, but after that first episode I sorta hoped it'd be a show where the future is a certain way, and we explore what that future is like through the development of the characters we meet. They experience events important to them, but they're not grappling with the entire world. A crime procedural culminating in an arc like what happened from 14-16 could be fun and interesting if handled right. That's not really what this was. Because of that, the show was burdened with a lot of boring exposition, and most of the cast didn't get the development they deserved.

Basically, if they wanted to make another Ghost in the Shell, they should have made something more like Ghost in the Shell. This didn't do it for me.

I still don't know what purpose Episode 12 serves in the context of this series.
Welcome to SyFy. lol

So what was this show about anyway? Admittedly I'm only skimming through the thread, but I don't really know anything about it. Is it condemning the whole authoritarian nature of the PP system? Or the people that accept the system?

Haganai Next 11

Can someone tell me why Kodaka is apparently the worst person ever, yet that bitch in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time gets a pass for doing the same thing, only more harmful?
I honestly don't remember what she did...

Its the aunt, right? Damn her.

EDIT: Since I'm the first post on the new page, I just read that the actress who plays the lead in the Tokikake live action movie just got married to that dude in the movie.
Wait, which dude in which movie? lol

Varion

Smile Precure Movie:

I'm a Precure loving sap, so I was always going to love this. And sure enough, I did! Simple enough plot, but it's still charmingly told and hard not to enjoy. It was really great seeing all the cast again too, I've been enjoying Dokidoki but it's still a weird feeling seeing Smile's characters again. Looked great too. Was pretty surprised to find out Megumi Hayashibara's Nico's VA though, I can't hear it at all.
Also Ultra Cure Happy... it might be one of the movie staples things but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable to watch, especially considering Miyuki's VA switched to that meltworthy voice afterwards.
The ending was a little quick, but considering I was expecting it to be, it actually felt a bit longer than I thought it would.

But yeah, the movie's basically everything great about the series compressed into one, so it's kind of hard to imagine anyone who liked the series not really enjoying it. It doesn't do anything original for the franchise, but it was really fun to watch, and that's all I was hoping for. Was amazing watching it in bluray quality though. Even things I'm used to like the transformation sequences (one loss one draw) and Rainbow Burst looked way cleaner than I'm used to, and the dance sequence at the end...

Vividred Operation - 11

Ah ah ah ah ah

i'm laughing out loud .

Vividred%20Operation%20-%2011.jpg

Facepalming like crazy ATM ..of course it's freaking weird.
2 things very impressive in this episode

-Friendship power. I knew that the 3 pillars of existence were wrong .. issiki-sensei just told me that another pillar is there and it's important.

-One of the most incredibly stupid yet predictable twist in this season No doubt.

You've escaped all my traps and survived my test ... thus you have failed because nobody is supposed to pass the test properly !
You see no parallel world managed to pass the test thus you mustn't suceeded either , lol

Now this is glorious ... such an incredible evil logic .. even if all the cast had screamed how weird that was ( and they did ) it wouldn't be enough to justify such an absurd way of events.

Vividred next episode Better be full of kissing, gattai and bird smaking because otherwise this anime would have failed big time.

What was the point ?? if could list a dozen of plot points that make this turn of events ridiculous , with poor planning, poor choices, poor decision making and just overconfidence overall.

Psycho Pass end

Well, that was an ending I guess. Not really satisfying on account of
the main antagonist being too insane to care he lost and the Sibyl system still being completely intact
, but an ending nonetheless. Was there something else planned like a movie, because this feels incomplete?

The show itself was alright. Started out pretty promising, but got bogged down by lots of exposition and philosophical babble that didn't amount to much. It's also pretty telling, at least for me, that I can't remember a good chunk of the show. That may be because of the setting though, as it's very easy for me to zone out with this kind of world.

Not a hit or a miss, so I still love Butch.

Haly

Shit sorry, I forgot what it was called in English. It was the final spell they recite together.

Huh. I think, within Laputa, I preferred when Laputa first activated the gem with a spell.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
...You know, I can understand why some people don't like him. I can see how his childishness and such can turn people off.

But worse than, or even remotely as bad as, Mipple and Mepple? Hell to the motherfucking no. That's what I can't understand. There is nothing redeeming about those two characters. They have no moments whatsoever. Porun at least has his. Like when he was coloring on the principal's portrait and got the girls in trouble, or when he made friends with Chutaro and rode him around and slept next to him. The only moment Mepple and Mipple could have that would come close to those is if they were thrown in an incinerator.
They're all awful, but Mepple/Mipple fade to background eventually and Porun monopolizes the show before fading.

I don't watch Haganai, but there's a huge difference between an author making a dislikable harem lead who won't commit to any girl just so the author can milk the series, and having a character do something for legitimate character development purposes.

Whether the end result is milking the property or not, it's still character development that furthers our understanding of the character's own severe insecurities and psychological trauma.

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 45

So the girls in Nagisa and Honoka's class are going to be in a singing competition. They won the school's choir competition, which I know was brought up in earlier episodes, but still, feels outta nowhere. Since when did they sing?

They end up singing the ED for the show for the competition. They pretty much ruined what goodwill I had for it (never was too huge a fan of it to be quite honest) when they had Mepple and Mipple singing it. They ruin everything. And then Porun ruins another awful lovey-dovey scene. Good job Porun.

Nagisa and Honoka end up having to do the solos for some reason. As much as I like Honoka, she really doesn't have a powerful enough of a voice to be doing a solo. Her voice is too soft. Nagisa's better suited, but since when could she sing? Ah well it looks like they won anyway.

They only have 4 episodes to wrap this thing up. They might wanna get started on that.

zeroshiki

Whether the end result is milking the property or not, it's still character development that furthers our understanding of the character's own severe insecurities and psychological trauma.

He can't choose a girl because of psychological trauma? Or them fighting over him caused the trauma?

Haly

I should rephrase. There wasn't a second or two where I really said to myself, "wow this is amazing". In Princess Mononoke, I distinctly remember the scene when Monokehime runs across the rooftop at Eboshi. Although, looking at it again it's not particularly special, I guess I'm looking at it through rose tinted goggles.

And, speaking of Princess Mononoke, the slime monster is still probably the most impressive thing I can think of to come out of Ghibli.

He can't choose a girl because of psychological trauma? Or them fighting over him caused the trauma?

He has a very strong aversion to getting close to people as he doesn't want to hurt them, to the point of acting like a typical dense harem protagonist as he doesn't want to ruin the status quo of the Neighbor's Club which he finally became comfortable with after years of isolation and being mistaken for a delinquent.

To me, this is a more interesting character thread that most harems can manage as it turns the whole trope on its head, so forgive me if I'm going to defend the guy for it, especially when I've been through something similar (though nowhere near as sexy).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
After a post like this . . .

that's worse than calling Adele fat.
Mochiwho is awful. Just another unnecessary bush in the overcrowded Tamako character landscape.

Cosmic you are giving Hagani way too much credit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Pretty Cure 45

So the girls in Nagisa and Honoka's class are going to be in a singing competition. They won the school's choir competition, which I know was brought up in earlier episodes, but still, feels outta nowhere. Since when did they sing?

They end up singing the ED for the show for the competition. They pretty much ruined what goodwill I had for it (never was too huge a fan of it to be quite honest) when they had Mepple and Mipple singing it. They ruin everything. And then Porun ruins another awful lovey-dovey scene. Good job Porun.

Nagisa and Honoka end up having to do the solos for some reason. As much as I like Honoka, she really doesn't have a powerful enough of a voice to be doing a solo. Her voice is too soft. Nagisa's better suited, but since when could she sing? Ah well it looks like they won anyway.

They only have 4 episodes to wrap this thing up. They might wanna get started on that.

Yeah, Nagisa and Honoka suddenly being in the choir club without a single reference to it after 45 episodes was an awful contrivance. Precure has almost always had a problem with abrupt shifts from episodic content to the endgame, but this was such an especially bizarre subject matter to devote an episode to on the brink of shit getting real.

I can imagine that this episode must be torture if you don't like the ED. Fortunately I always found it really catchy.

wonzo

Banned
Minami-ke 12-13 END

minami-ke13.jpg

This turned out to be a real nice little series filled with an incredibly charming and memorable cast of characters. A large part of charm easily comes from how consistently well done the animation is, especially when they go all out. I'll definitely get around to the later series sometime sson even if I've heard fairly mixed things about them.

hosaka > yamada > kana = mako-chan = touma > *

Instro

Psycho Pass END

Felt like an appropriate way to close out, neither a happy nor sad ending really. Pretty melancholy. Being able to close out a inconsistent show on a relatively high note was nice. It appears that they are looking to make a season 2, there's certainly plenty of wiggle room with certain plot threads that were left unresolved if they do indeed go that route.

As problematic as Psycho Pass was over its run, there was definitely various arcs that I thought were well done and fun to watch, and overall I liked watching it. The man hunter for example being one of the highlights, it was a pretty nice treat that closed in a very impressive way. Many aspects of the show varied greatly in quality from week to week, which was disappointing. I think they over promised on a lot of things with the premise of the show, but once the writing devolved into exciting things happening week to week rather than attempting overly philosophical plot lines or bad sci fi stuff like the whole Avatar online thing, it became a more enjoyable show.

Syrinx

Yeah, Nagisa and Honoka suddenly being in the choir club without a single reference to it after 45 episodes was an awful contrivance. Precure has almost always had a problem with abrupt shifts from episodic content to the endgame, but this was such an especially bizarre subject matter to devote an episode to on the brink of shit getting real.

I can imagine that this episode must be torture if you don't like the ED. Fortunately I always found it really catchy.
I don't hate the OP or even dislike it. It's kinda just been there. Maybe it's that weird-ass march everybody is doing that turns me off.

Minami-ke 12-13 END

hosaka > yamada = chiaki > kana = mako-chan = touma > sensei = ninomiya-kun > *

QUick fix .

Seriously ... you should go for the other seasons it's great ( don't forget the 2 or 3 oavs )
Season 2 is less intresting than the first but the third and 4th season are excellent.

Don't hesitate.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't hate the OP or even dislike it. It's kinda just been there. Maybe it's that weird-ass march everybody is doing that turns me off.

Oh, I wasn't implying that you disliked it, just speaking hypothetically. But yeah, that dance is janky as hell.

The funny thing is that Max Heart's ED manages to have even worse "dance" animation or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. Just watch the whole thing or skip to 1:04 for the "best" part.

I guess they can't all be Ganbalance de Dance.

kpjolee

Psycho Pass end

Well, that was an ending I guess. Not really satisfying on account of
the main antagonist being too insane to care he lost and the Sibyl system still being completely intact
, but an ending nonetheless. Was there something else planned like a movie, because this feels incomplete?

The show itself was alright. Started out pretty promising, but got bogged down by lots of exposition and philosophical babble that didn't amount to much. It's also pretty telling, at least for me, that I can't remember a good chunk of the show. That may be because of the setting though, as it's very easy for me to zone out with this kind of world.

Not a hit or a miss, so I still love Butch.

22 episodes of prologue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom