• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Thanks, but for once, I didn't draw it. It's part of an art trade with Extollere. Where I drew him Azusa and he drew Mio for me. One of the conditions was that we'd wear what each other drew as an avatar for at least a month, which really isn't that bad. Still feels weird to have an avatar not drawn by me though...
He should be changing his avatar sometime today.
Oh I figured you didn't draw it yourself as the style is very different from your usual stuff! Oh so that's what Extollere drew! I think you had told me about said swap before. Looking forward to seeing what came from your end!

Manga-itis. :(
In Princess Nine's case it was probably more that they were planning a second season that never happened. It was original content too so no Manga to read to get any closure. ;_;

Oh I figured you didn't draw it yourself as the style is very different from your usual stuff! Oh so that's what Extollere drew! I think you had told me about said swap before. Looking forward to seeing what came from your end!

They really turned out well, both his and mine, but I'll wait till Extollere shows up before I show them off.

SAIN SEYA OMEGA 41
You see yuna ? Even if you're useless , you can have your shining moment if you burn your cosmo !

Ninja dude finally managed to convince himself to not run away.

And thus finally burned his cosmo properly.
The gold saint was laughable.. such an useless vilain. what the heck ? so you wanted to be a last boss , now ? not when you can't defeat bronze saints without a haxxor skill ? Give me a break !

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2041_01.jpg

Madness + 50 additionnal points

Medea continues her ascension in the list of the most annoying/cunning/evil characters in the sain seya universe . At least she is quite good at her job of being a vilain ..and she does it well ..There is no need to hide , now and the writters seems to know that..
At least even mars was angry at sonia death ..that was such a bullsh*t turn of events. they better bring a power of light haxxor skill to make her comeback as she was a nice character.

But the slowpoke award comes toward the new sain leo whom after so much time realised that "hey you're evil , medea" .. no..really ??? you're sure ? heck maybe if you paid attention you might have spotted that early ?

Overall , despite the weird filler with the ninja dude it was a nice episode , focused into showing us that indeed medea was freaking evil ( better late than never )

BluWacky

Mock me if you will, but I've been looking into the possibility of doing a masters in Japanese Studies (my linguistic skills aren't strong enough to do one in straight literature, although my proposed primary focus would be on Japanese classical theatre such as noh, joruri, kabuki etc.)

The course I'm looking at offers a module on "Japanese Transnational Cinema: from Kurosawa to Asia Extreme and Studio Ghibli". I know nothing of media studies courses so I don't know if this is a particularly "standard" kind of thing - it seems like jolly good fun to watch a bunch of films and think about their international audiences, but not something I'd usually think of as particularly academic (yup, I'm a big snob).

Anyway, the particular statement it makes on the Ghibli part is as follows:

Weeks 8 – 10 will look at animation from the early success of Akira, shown at the London ICA in the late-1980s, to the internationalisation of the animation films produced by Studio Ghibli. This discussion will be framed from within the context of the Japanese Government’s policy to promote ‘cool Japan’ as per the white paper Digital Contents Hakushō (2005).

The internationalisation is clarified further:

This discussion will be framed from within policies of mukokuseki (statelessness) which as the Japanese academic Iwabuchi Koichi argues, ‘simultaneously articulates the universal appeal of Japanese cultural products and the disappearance of any perceptible “Japaneseness”’ (Iwabuchi 2002:33).

Feel free to mock me for taking this seriously, but this seems like a severely limited view of Ghibli's output. While you might argue that the character art of Ghibli films, like virtually all anime, isn't specifically Japanese, I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that any of Takahata's output for the studio is "stateless", as so much of it deals specifically with Japanese experience or mythology (Grave of the Fireflies, Pon Poko, and the forthcoming Kaguya-hime spring to mind). I think you'd even be hard pushed to say that something like Spirited Away is "stateless", although its fantasy storytelling is perhaps more universal than something like Grave of the Fireflies. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what mukokuseki is.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting because it seems so narrowly focused on the one part of the anime movie industry that really has any kind of "internationalisation" (although the course does, of course, cover Akira, which Hiroki Azuma once claimed didn't count as anime!). I guess one could say that Hosoda's film work is similar in its broad appeal, but I don't detect any particular de-emphasis of the Japanese experience in his films (Summer Wars in particular).

Syrinx

I need to spend more time in this thread.

Bioshock Infinite spoilers are beginning to run rampant. I need to distract myself from going into the |OT| any longer.

So...how about that anime, huh?

Bardock Father of Goku

Too short! Bardock and his crew were awesome, I wanted to see more of their friendship, Bardock really cared about them.

7/10

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@ikuni_noise: 今日は暑くなるの?

I don't know any Japanese but Google Translate says I'm becoming hot and I bet this is related to Penguinbear somehow!? Are maybe the Penguins and the Bears going to fight in a desert? Am I overreacting?

It can't be tomorrow soon enough.

Pooya

Hanasaku Iroha - 1-5

The fan service is quite prevalent in this, I don't mind it yet, it's kinda fitting maybe.

Seems pretty slow paced after 5 episodes, but I can see where this is going, maybe a bit boring, running a business can get interesting I guess, characters seem ok, maybe a bit cliche.

Mostly looks really good, I even like the 3D CG camera movements though there are iffy parts like this, still looks nice.

cajunator

Banned
I need to spend more time in this thread.

Bioshock Infinite spoilers are beginning to run rampant. I need to distract myself from going into the |OT| any longer.

So...how about that anime, huh?

Anime is cool. Comes from a good family! Some noticeable decline and senility starting to show.
A bit of an identity crisis.

Hanasaku Iroha - 1-5

The fan service is quite prevalent in this, I don't mind it yet, it's kinda fitting maybe.

Seems pretty slow paced after 5 episodes, but I can see where this is going, maybe a bit boring, running a business can get interesting I guess, characters seem ok, maybe a bit cliche.

Mostly looks really good, I even like the 3D CG camera movements though there are iffy parts like this, still looks nice.

sexhair bondage

Syrinx

I don't know any Japanese but Google Translate says I'm becoming hot and I bet this is related to Penguinbear somehow!? Are maybe the Penguins and the Bears going to fight in a desert? Am I overreacting?

Great anime, or greatest anime?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zUzMMeU.png

Well shit. Not exactly the biggest Kobayashi character that comes to mind, but she's finally in the app. If I was Kagami, I would almost be willing to blow 40-50 bucks here. lol

Milamber

Puni Puni Poemi OVA

After the failed St. Paddy's day drunken anime hour, I decided to rewatch this again fully sober.

Man, It's been 9 (or 10?) years since I last watched this. Holy crap, I fully understand the jokes and references compared to when I was a teenager watching this just when I started getting really interested in anime. This show confused the heck out of me when I was younger. You really couldn't recommend this and its prequel, Excel Saga, without at least some background of J-Culture, current events (90's) and a healthy smattering of patience.

Ahaha, I am born anew. I am now up to ep 8 of my rewatch of Excel Saga and I have totally rediscovered this show again (I'm looking at you, Golden Boy). I may go back to my old library of anime I viewed in my teens and view them with a much more learned perspective now that I am much older.

Theonik

It's obviously as I predicted from the start and he's making a Polar Bear Cafe Penguindrum cross-over doujin. The meaning of the post above is then pretty self-explanatory.

cajunator

Banned
Puni Puni Poemi OVA

After the failed St. Paddy's day drunken anime hour, I decided to rewatch this again fully sober.

Man, It's been 9 (or 10?) years since I last watched this. Holy crap, I fully understand the jokes and references compared to when I was a teenager watching this just when I started getting really interested in anime. This show confused the heck out of me when I was younger. You really couldn't recommend this and its prequel, Excel Saga, without at least some background of J-Culture, current events (90's) and a healthy smattering of patience.

Ahaha, I am born anew. I am now up to ep 8 of my rewatch of Excel Saga and I have totally rediscovered this show again (I'm looking at you, Golden Boy). I may go back to my old library of anime I viewed in my teens and view them with a much more learned perspective now that I am much older.

You have done a good thing. Now you also understand why I insist on holding on to all my older anime stuff. nothing beats that nostalgia trip of an 80s-90s anime marathon. NOTHING.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 11

Wasn't bad. A lot more action than half the rest of the show, but still suffers from poor world building. While it is getting decent at somehow refreshing our memories on who the bloody hell half these characters are, a show shouldn't have to do that.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 11

Wasn't bad. A lot more action than half the rest of the show, but still suffers from poor world building. While it is getting decent at somehow refreshing our memories on who the bloody hell half these characters are, a show shouldn't have to do that.

Why did they do that, when the previous week even had a recap special...

Milamber

You have done a good thing. Now you also understand why I insist on holding on to all my older anime stuff. nothing beats that nostalgia trip of an 80s-90s anime marathon. NOTHING.
But most of my old stuff is on VHS and VCD's. Can't be assed to rebuy them again on DVD's too.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 11

Weak character design, poor prescence of character scripting and hurried direction of the important scenes doesn't help this show too.

Mature

This is true. Though for me, being a bit younger, it's more like the late 90's and early 00's.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching Spice and Wolf. I really enjoyed the show, but there were times when I couldn't tell if Holo was joking or serious lol.

Best episodes of the decade according to NewType: http://www.animecontentsexpo.jp/special/kamikai/index.html

Predictable list, but I'm surprised one of Wakabayashi's Naruto episodes got in it...

Uta-no Prince Sama episode final episode was amazing, that whole concert and just the lead up to it was so worth it and still so memorable. Hope season 2, no I bet season 2 will definitely deliver.

Good Angel Beats episode choice

Assuming I read it right.

Chihayafuru 2 11:
Good episode for Nishida and Komano, with some really nice character moments. That scene where
the original group all came together
was wonderful. We're getting down towards the end of the team tournament, but the last two matches should be great given how much buildup these teams have received.

It sucks that
Arata can't watch Taichi and Chihaya, though. I suppose that's a fitting punishment, but it's sad.

BluWacky

Best episodes of the decade according to NewType: http://www.animecontentsexpo.jp/special/kamikai/index.html

Predictable list, but I'm surprised one of Wakabayashi's Naruto episodes got in it...

Not entirely predictable. I'd never have thought Fruits Basket or Tatami Galaxy would end up on there! I mean, Fruits Basket 1 is a great first episode, but... it's Fruits Basket, who in anime fandom really cares about the show any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom