• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Season 2 Review

Decided to do a write up for the entire season here, since the OT seems pretty dead, and I think some missionary work is needed to bring the good news of Silver Spoon to more people in this thread. Too many here have sinned and fallen short of the glory of good anime.

This is probably one of the best shows on noitaminA ever. I'll certainly put it up there with Honey and Clover as a show which gives the same sort of appeal that the block has been known for traditionally. This second season has improved on pretty much every aspect from the first. The source material it's adapting at this point is much stronger, but that aside the production itself has also picked up a lot. From a good series, it has elevated into a really outstanding one. The direction feels sharper, the animation and art flows better, and the pace is much quicker which means each episode in turn feels more varied in terms of developments and events.

While the focus in the first season was more of an introduction into agricultural education, and Hachiken's encounters with culture shock and the people he meets, the focus of the second season is entirely on Hachiken as a person. This is a really satisfying and emotional character arc because the show successfully balances putting the audience in the protagonist's place, while also giving him enough dramatic beats to make the audience invested in cheering him on. Watching a relatable character try to achieve his goals while understanding the feelings he goes through at various stages is an age old narrative format, but one which doesn't get pulled off in an impressive way often, simply because it feels so formulaic. It's a massive success here though.

I don't think I've enjoyed watching something in this same way for a really long time. The second half of Hyouka was probably the last character driven show where I felt this invested in the story and characters, and it's not quite in the same way. I still think the best comparison would be something like Honey and Clover, where the characters are students in a tertiary program, and the story is about their relationships as much as it is about their hopes and dreams expressed through their academic choice.

The only thing that could have made this season end in a better way would be if they announced another season. Since they didn't there's a bit of a bittersweet feeling - the ending was outstanding, but knowing that there might not be more made makes me rather sad.

Still looks like a lot of people in here don't have Noragami in their heart, but for some reason they have Yami in their heart.

AnimeGAF! Why are you so wrong!

Second best show of the season after Silver Spoon S2. Actually whole winter season was better than I expected.

I see. Such is taste. I kind of have to agree with darkside about the censored, but it didn't bother me that much as it was clear they were trying to set something up for the finale that didn't involve that character. Glancing briefly at the manga it seems like the way the story arcs panned out had more to do with getting to something of a conclusion by the end of episode 12, which I think was the right choice given their runtime.

Right. In an interview with director Tamura, he stated that it would take 10 episodes to properly cover the next manga arc, which actually focuses on Bishamon, and he didn't want to rush Yukine's arc, so he had the manga author come up with the idea for the anime-original ending the show went with. It'd be nice if another season got made, but in the absence of that I'm certainly happy the show went with something that feels like a conclusive stopping point as opposed to the nonconclusive "just gotta read the manga" ending a number of adaptations have (e.g., Akagi, Flowers of Evil), and that it was dedicated to properly planning its ending as opposed to pulling it out of nowhere at the last minute.

Chuunibyou Ren 12
An okay show overall considering it went less than 2 inches. You can barely tell its a romance show. I would have much rather had a season about Nibutani and Dekomori as the main "couple" than what happened here. And poor Isshiki, nothing for him except being the butt of everybody's joke

Jex

I watched Noragami to the end, enjoyed it, and would like to see an S2, but I wouldn't say it was one of the standout shows of the season by any means. I think it's been getting about the right amount of attention.

I don't know about that. I know this is obviously an inherently subjective subject (not least the question of what amount of attention a show 'deserves') but as far as post count and viewership outside this little old thread goes the biggest shows around are:

Kill la Kill - This series is the most popular but there's about half a dozen shows this season that are better than it.

Space Dandy - This series got a lot of attention because of it's staff and the way it airs. It's been very consistently inconsistent but it's still very, very well known.

Gundam Build Fighters - This series kicks ass and gets a lot of love in OT, which is well deserved.

Meanwhile genuinely excellent shows like Silver Spoon S2 (probably still my show of the season), Norogami, Samurai Flamenco (not really very consistent but better than Dandy and Kill la Kill etc) either don't have an OT or their OT is a graveyard.

In otherwords, either you're extremely well known in general of you're not known by anyone outside of this thread and maybe some people in this thread haven't checked these shows out!

Not that there is anything new about this arrangement as most of the people who could potentially be watching anime/are watching anime casually haven't checked out this thread and if they did they'd probably struggle to extract any meat from it. These shows really need more of a champion to get them visibility.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In otherwords, either you're extremely well known in general of you're not known by anyone outside of this thread and maybe some people in this thread haven't checked these shows out!
rip pupipo ot.

I like Noragami, but I really don't see it as anything special. I wouldn't go so far as to call it generic, but I'd hardly say it's super original or anything. It might just be my apathy toward stories about traditional Japanese gods, but I wouldn't call it much more than a well-produced show. Definitely not worthy of a hyperbolic "ANIME IS SAVED" statement, and maybe not even worthy of a "BONES IS SAVED" one.

That being said, I will continue the manga where the anime splits, even if I'm not as invested in it as some others.

I like Noragami, but I really don't see it as anything special. I wouldn't go so far as to call it generic, but I'd hardly say it's super original or anything. It might just be my apathy toward stories about traditional Japanese gods, but I wouldn't call it much more than a well-produced show. Definitely not worthy of a hyperbolic "ANIME IS SAVED" statement, and maybe not even worthy of a "BONES IS SAVED" one.

It's the first good TV show BONES has made since 2007, with the exception of FMA: Brotherhood (and I'm not such a big fan of that due to its wonky pacing, inconsistent direction, and lame ending).

It's not super original, you're right, but originality is meaningless unless it happens to be well executed originality. Noragami is a very well executed show with consistently excellent direction, especially in sound/music direction, which managed to get me invested in its characters and contained a satisfying narrative arc for them. I can't be but happy with it.

duckroll

I found this on MAL:

So there's probably just about enough to cover another season?

Silver Spoon's adaptation is less about chapter numbers than it's about content. The first season of 11 episodes cover about 32 chapters or so, while the second season of 11 episodes covered about 43 chapters or so. So the pacing isn't fixed, but rather it's a matter of finding the right place to end to make it feel satisfying.

They're not necessarily fixed by the seasonal arcs in the manga either, since both the first season and the second season end their seasonal arcs outside of the comparable set of manga arcs. For example, the first season ended with a scene a few chapters into Fall, instead of ending exactly where the manga ended Summer. The last few episodes of season 2 are also part of the Winter arc in the manga, even though they're labeled as Fall in the anime.

Right now there isn't enough material either way for another 11 episode season unless they go really slowly, but if they had planned for one to start later this there would be enough material by then. Since they didn't my hope is that they will be doing another set of two seasons next year, and by then the manga might be over, depending on how the current arc pans out.

BluWacky

Ah. Hoping for S3 uh... next year then?

The full noitaminA schedule for this year has been announced, right?

Yup:

April - Nanana's Buried Treasure & Ping Pong
July - Terror in Tokyo & Psycho Pass Remix
October - April Is Your Lie & Psycho Pass 2
January - April Is Your Lie & How To Raise A Boring Heroine

cnet128

Banned
I don't know about that. I know this is obviously an inherently subjective subject (not least the question of what amount of attention a show 'deserves') but as far as post count and viewership outside this little old thread goes the biggest shows around are:

Kill la Kill - This series is the most popular but there's about half a dozen shows this season that are better than it.

Space Dandy - This series got a lot of attention because of it's staff and the way it airs. It's been very consistently inconsistent but it's still very, very well known.

Gundam Build Fighters - This series kicks ass and gets a lot of love in OT, which is well deserved.

Meanwhile genuinely excellent shows like Silver Spoon S2 (probably still my show of the season), Norogami, Samurai Flamenco (not really very consistent but better than Dandy and Kill la Kill etc) either don't have an OT or their OT is a graveyard.

Not that there is anything new about this arrangement as most of the people who could potentially be watching anime/are watching anime casually haven't checked out this thread and if they did they'd probably struggle to extract any meat from it. These shows really need more of a champion to get them visibility.

Now, Silver Spoon needing more attention, that I can get behind. And SamFlam too if it's not already getting plenty (though my impression, possibly warped by the fact that I don't bother with individual OTs and only read the main anime thread, was that it was definitely one of the more viewed shows of the season).

I just wouldn't put Noragami on the same level as those. Certainly I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Kill la Kill or Space Dandy.

Midonin

Onee-chan ga Kita 12 + Final Thoughts

Cute finale. I knew what to expect from it, and it delivered. Earth Star series have been of varying quality, but this one hit the mark most of the time. Ichika's persistence is pretty lovable.

Pupa 12 + Final Thoughts

That was a very different episode, tonally, than everything that came before it. I knew exactly what to expect going in, and it was precisely that. But I don't think I'd be able to rewatch it, in much the same way as Requiem for a Dream. It was overall.. uncomfortable.

Articalys

I didn't really think about it before, but with Psycho-Pass S2 being a one-cour Fall show and the movie coming out around the end of the year, I wonder how the two will connect with each other.

Jex

That being said, I will continue the manga where the anime splits, even if I'm not as invested in it as some others.

You're completely correct on paper. In abstract, of perhaps even in it's original manga incarnation (I haven't personally checked) there's nothing particularly exciting about Noragami. Neither it's characters nor it's plot deviate from what you'd imagine a story of this kind to entail and you can see major plot beats coming a mile away. The logical question therefore is - why is worth watching?

You kind of hit it on the head when you said "well-produced" but that phrase requires a bit more unpacking. It's certainly well produced on the visual front e.g. the character designs, the background art, the colour choices, the lighting, the animation etc. Visuals obviously aren't enough to carry a show, however, but really excellent (surprisingly so considering the director) direction, storyboarding, editing and overall pacing do a lot of work for this series.

The way that tone, particularly, is handled, should be worth noting because the way that the show transitions form comedy to drama (and sometimes back again) without losing anything in the process is remarkable considering how many shows completely mess this up and either undercut the drama or step on the comedy. If they hadn't done that correctly then we wouldn't care about these fairly standard characters but because we see them from many sides in many different moods they feel more realistic and complex then perhaps they even are.

Tying up nicely with tone and mood is music and audio. Music obviously does a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to creating tone and when your music is poorly placed (Magi) you end up totally killing the scene. The music in this series always and highlights the mood of the scene without shoving it down your throat (a la Kill la Kill) and it's not just background noise that makes no different either way. It's very effective. What's equally effective is the general soundscape which is frankly one of the best soundscapes I've heard since Penguin Drum. It's nowhere near, say, Ghost Hound, but the way in which incidental audio and voice is stacked, arranged, delayed etc really helps to make all the scenes featuring spirits feel suitably creepy and unpleasant. Really competent sound design is very important in horror because it does so much work in keeping the audience on edge and unbalance so that they feel vulnerable which is why it was really emphasised in Flowers of Evil because that show was really supposed to make you feel unpleasant. You don't see nearly enough of it in anime which is often why 'horror' anime feel rather flat and why I noticed it's usage throughout this series.

Anyway, there's lots more to say about this show but I don't have time!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

It felt like Gintama but without the episode count to actually make the characters fun. The series was all arc, arc, arc. Yet the OVA indicates that they can do a bodyswap episode if they had the time to fuck around with non-arc related stories.

Jex

It felt like Gintama but without the episode count to actually make the characters fun. The series was all arc, arc, arc. Yet the OVA indicates that they can do a bodyswap episode if they had the time to fuck around with non-arc related stories.

Not many shows can be lucky enough to get a Gintama level of episodes, and that show had a pretty weak opening 12 episodes, relatively speaking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Silver Spoon - Season 2 Review

While the focus in the first season was more of an introduction into agricultural education, and Hachiken's encounters with culture shock and the people he meets, the focus of the second season is entirely on Hachiken as a person. This is a really satisfying and emotional character arc because the show successfully balances putting the audience in the protagonist's place, while also giving him enough dramatic beats to make the audience invested in cheering him on. Watching a relatable character try to achieve his goals while understanding the feelings he goes through at various stages is an age old narrative format, but one which doesn't get pulled off in an impressive way often, simply because it feels so formulaic. It's a massive success here though.

So I haven't seen the last episode, but you could use the exact same words to describe Kimi ni Todoke. My big problem with the show is still the romance, which like Kimi ni Todoke S2, is frustrating because it's an inevitability that's hindered by "Nisekoi-ism". I think KnT worked for me because S1 mostly sectioned off the romance entirely, to the point where the guy was some obtuse goal and not an object of constant desire.

Just thinking about it though... I do find it funny that, in fiction, people haven't really figured out an interesting way to tell a story about a relationship that's in progress. So most stories are either about characters who are just getting together and the happiness that comes from a fresh relationship or characters who have been married for years and are into their specific archetypes (naggy wife, lazy husband, etc).

Jex

Hmm, Hosanna really isn't kidding about the last few years of BONES. Not really a single great show (besides FMA: B which frankly has a lot of problems) -

Soul Eater
Heiress of the Phantom Thief
X'amd
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini
Heroman
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto
Gosick
Un-Go
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
Blast of Tempest
Tenkai Knights
Noragami

Look at all that mediocrity! Noragami is literally more competent than their last dozen or so shows!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoozuki no Reitetsu Episode 12:

Interesting, I thought Satan was not returning to Japan but anyway this time we get a look at the I guess Japanese interpretation of the Lilith fable and once again Hozuki and Hakutaku are at each others throats and we learn for how long they have been making each other miserable.

CorvoSol

Yameleven

vwA5rUJ.gif

How dumb do you have to be to sever your lifeline while it is right in front of you? I mean that shit was contrived. The only thing less believable in this episode than that was that there was a heterosexual relationship.

But hey, why spend an entire episode on that when we can SPLIT IT BETWEEN TWO EPISODES MEANINGLESSLY?

Please enjoy bullshit hijinks in this floating Japanese house in space. Did you know this fox woman has tits? No? LET'S ZOOM IN ON EM SOME MORE.

And now I guess shit is about to go down. I mean we finally all caught up to Eve/Ebu/Jill/Lulau/Hatsumi/IncestSister/whogivesashitanymore.

So basically after all this searching they just fucking stumble across her, purely by chance. I wish I could be disappointed by that'd require I had expectations of this shit. The worst part is we've stopped doing wacky crazy stuff and moved on to the white trash bumper stickers of anime plot lines.

I could not care less about this at the moment. This anime is one of those shows that MAKES ME WANT TO DO HOMEWORK. I will be so glad when I can kick the dust of The List from my feet for good.

Jex

I unconditionally love Gintama, so I'm probably not the best person to judge any of its episodes. lol

I mean, they didn't really bother me, but the 'consensus' is that the show doesn't "get good" until the 20's, or something. I'm just the messenger though!

Hmm, Hosanna really isn't kidding about the last few years of BONES. Not really a single great show (besides FMA: B which frankly has a lot of problems) -

Look at all that mediocrity! Noragami is literally more competent than their last dozen or so shows!

Yep. Where experienced directors such as Igarashi, Ando, Okamura, and Kyoda have failed, Kotaro Tamura has come out of the depths of BONES and succeeded. Maybe Hosoda's talent rubbed off on him while he was working on Wolf Children.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You're trying to argue with people that think Kill la Kill is the best show they've seen in years. Let that sink in.

jman2050

Yameleven

So basically after all this searching they just fucking stumble across her, purely by chance. I wish I could be disappointed by that'd require I had expectations of this shit. The worst part is we've stopped doing wacky crazy stuff and moved on to the white trash bumper stickers of anime plot lines.

Oh sure like you'd rather hear MY NAME IS QUILE three thousand times than watch Eve/Hatsumi/whatever troll the shit out of everyone she meets.

The correct answer is never watch this

Midonin

Golden Time 24 + Final Thoughts

What I said at the start of Servant x Service was what was going through my head when I started this series - I didn't want older characters to mean a decrease in youthful energy. Luckily, Koko has more than enough of that. For something I started watching because a friend of mine was, I enjoyed the ride. So maybe it went to the drama well a couple too many times, but the supporting cast was defined, the setting was used effectively, and it had its share of funny moments.

I still stand by the theory that says Ghost Banri was a metaphor,
making the confrontation with him here more of a mindspace deal than something that was physically occurring.
Nice touch with the Miss Monochrome poster in 2D's room. It's not going to be a standout series for me personally, but for what it brought to the table, I was satisfied. Above average, as far as romances go. And I still liked the second OP and ED. The operatic nature worked.

Heysoos

I've never really done reviews before so bear with me as I try to sort out my thoughts so that they don't sound completely stupid.

Finished Golden Time, and I kind spoiled myself by reading up on how it would end when the final LN came out. I still feel completely disappointed with how it all came about though. The whole memory loss/ghost Banri angle was extremely dumb. I think they could have done the whole Koko x Banri x Linda triangle so much better. As it is, Linda never really felt important to me, even though I kind of liked her. Her relationship with Banri never felt important to me, other than the fact that he had a huge crush on her and she didn't really feel strongly enough to return the same feelings. Anyways, the ending didn't really have any emotional payoff. Really, the only thing that kept this show afloat for me was Koko and 2D-kun.

Meh/10

Jex

I've never really done reviews before so bear with me as I try to sort out my thoughts so that they don't sound completely stupid.

Finished Golden Time, and I kind spoiled myself by reading up on how it would end when the final LN came out. I still feel completely disappointed with how it all came about though. The whole memory loss/ghost Banri angle was extremely dumb. I think they could have done the whole Koko x Banri x Linda triangle so much better. As it is, Linda never really felt important to me, even though I kind of liked her. Her relationship with Banri never felt important to me, other than the fact that he had a huge crush on her and she didn't really feel strongly enough to return the same feelings. Anyways, the ending didn't really have any emotional payoff. Really, the only thing that kept this show afloat for me was Koko and 2D-kun.

Meh/10
Look at this dummy, trying to formulate and express an opinion. Lets all point and laugh!

Tenumi

Banned
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions S2: (END)

There's one feeling that a person gets that is nearly impossible to describe to others. The only way to truly understand it is to feel it yourself.

That feeling is true love.

In the end, that is what this show is about, and that's why I like it. Call me a sucker, but I really like love stories like this. Any show can give you a brief overview of a relationship and call it good. But this show is different. Just like every relationship that exists.

You can control anger, control happiness. You cannot, however, control love. Love takes time. Time, and commitment. Pull too hard and the string will break. Pull too little and nothing happens. But when you pull at the right strength and speed, you can move a mountain.

I really do love this show. I, well, love Love itself. That's just my feelings. And if any of you dare to claim this as an SOS post, I'll never forgive you guys.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You're trying to argue with people that think Kill la Kill is the best show they've seen in years. Let that sink in.

Do you even realize how fucking stupid your statement is? It's my favorite show over the past couple years. Mine.

I even acknowledged that the show has some faults that other people couldn't get over.

Shergal

Space Dandy hasn't been anything other than good for a while now. Overall, it really doesn't deserve the same amount flack as the admittedly underwhelming early episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom