• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Space Dandy 13 END (until Autumn!)

I must confess, prior to watching this, I thought a QT-focused romance episode was a weird choice to end the first half of this series on. Normally you'd expect a big milestone/finale episode like that to be some kind of key representative moment that ties together the main themes of the series or whatever, not a quirky focus episode for a secondary character.

Of course, then I remembered that this is Space Dandy, and so an episode that's just doing its own weird thing with no real relation to the rest of the series actually is pretty representative. No need to waste a perfectly good episode trying to be "conventional". And after watching this episode, I can easily see why it was picked to round off the first half of the series, because it's one of, if not the best episode in the show so far. The romance was remarkably sweet, and the action at the end was goddamn wonderful. It just hit all the right notes.

Oh, and we can add coffee makers to the list of unlikely things Space Dandy has successfully made moe, along with plants and paper.

Chuunibyou Ren ep.12

Someone please tell me who I can justifiably blame for this show.

Director Tatsuya Ishihara conceptualizes the main story alongside Series Composer Jukki Hanada, who wrote each of the episode scripts. Those two are your creative minds in "adapting" the franchise. Ishihara has mentioned that he feels romcoms are better during the "chase" portion rather than the latter half (which explains S2 quite well).

Hanada is also responsible for such gems as Kyoukai no Kanata, especially steering off plot for a random idol episode, and Love Live.

Recent series composers for KyoAni works (since 2011):
Nichijou: Jukki Hanada
K-On! Movie (script): Reiko Yoshida
Hyouka: Shoji Gatou
Chu2koi S1: Jukki Hanada
Tamako Market: Reiko Yoshida
Free!: Masahiro Yokotani
Kyoukai: Jukki Hanada
Chu2koi Ren: Jukki Hanada

Hmm, Hosanna really isn't kidding about the last few years of BONES. Not really a single great show (besides FMA: B which frankly has a lot of problems) -

Soul Eater
Heiress of the Phantom Thief
X'amd
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini
Heroman
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto
Gosick
Un-Go
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
Blast of Tempest
Tenkai Knights
Noragami

Look at all that mediocrity! Noragami is literally more competent than their last dozen or so shows!

X'amd is one of the best anime ever. You are dead to me.

Seriously though, Xamd, mediocre?

Golden Time 24 END

Really good ending, though there are parts that you can tell were truncated. Probably my favorite show from 2013. Dislike Linda's choice at the very end though. Want to read the light novels, so gotta get back into studying Japanese because I doubt these will ever be localized.

Also, the winner of the Golden Time print is...

Thoraxes. Congrats!

cnet128

Banned
Director Tatsuya Ishihara conceptualizes the main story alongside Series Composer Jukki Hanada, who wrote each of the episode scripts. Those two are your creative minds in "adapting" the franchise. Ishihara has mentioned that he feels romcoms are better during the "chase" portion rather than the latter half (which explains S2 quite well).

Hanada is also responsible for such gems as Kyoukai no Kanata, especially steering off plot for a random idol episode, and Love Live.

Huh, whaddaya know, this Hanada guy did Kashimashi too.

I think I like him.

Jex

You're trying to argue with people that think Kill la Kill is the best show they've seen in years. Let that sink in.

I'm not actively trying to argue with them or even besmirching their opinions, just venting my frustration about that lack of exposure that numerous great titles fail to achieve and pondering how (if) they can be promoted to a wider audience.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm not actively trying to argue with them or even besmirching their opinions, just venting my frustration about that lack of exposure that numerous great titles fail to achieve and pondering how (if) they can be promoted to a wider audience.
In this thread? Spam .gifs. Tell people there's a panty shot in the final episode of Noragami.

Huh, whaddaya know, this Hanada guy did Kashimashi too.

I think I like him.
Hanada, like Ishihara, is incredibly hit/miss. He handles comedy and comedic elements well, but lacks the subtleties to carry more serious content at times. I truthfully blame Ishihara more for Ren as he's handled the second season of a romantic comedy before and should know better.

(Still liked the movie though, it's an enjoyable recap of a decently composed season.)

Jex

X'amd is one of the best anime ever. You are dead to me.

Seriously though, Xamd, mediocre?

Xam'd is one third promising series (those two opening episodes sure are fantastic) and two thirds complete and utter mess. Do I need to discuss the old people's home arc and how the pacing of the series as a whole faired during that part of the show? Must I examine how the series had no sense of direction and how the plot flailed around desperately trying to get a grip on a simple core idea? This is the same problem that a number of original BONES properties suffer from - their stories start out okay and then tend to collapse about half way through due to sever writing problems.

And I like Xam'd, and wish BONES would do something like it (but much better) yet I cannot deny how horribly flawed it is.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tokyo Ravens Episode 24
Kon forever!!!! Nice ending to the series(atlest I assume this is the last episode)
Does anyone know what chapter this episode left off on?

Tenumi

Banned
Hey, guys? Opinions are opinions. What was it again... They're like assholes. Everybody's got one, but nobody cares to see yours.

Midonin

Magical Warfare 12 + Final... Thoughts?

I like to think of myself as open-minded to a lot. Ridiculous premises and some things that are deeply entrenched in anime culture I can embrace whole-heartedly, and as I said some pages back, "adapted from a light novel" has never been a major deterrent to me. So this is the first of the MF Bunko five that were announced some time back. And it's... bwuh?

The tone was all over the place. Swimsuit beach fantasies, romantic hijinks, and various morally questionable things going on on all sides of the war were played in equal measure. Something about destiny and prophecies, and then you cut to something else like Iida's little sister. It's not that these elements can't work together - anime's pulled off similar stories like this in the past, and even in the present: See Tokyo Ravens, for example, or Strike the Blood.

But the plot twists in the finale
and the ending with Gekkou and Takeshi being sent back in time to the 1990s... and we just end there? Huh? I haven't been this baffled by an ending since Venus Versus Virus, and I'm okay with open-ended or ambiguous endings!
But this was more confusing. Maybe it makes sense in the novels, but for the first entry out the gate for Dengeki, I think it can only go up from here for Dragonar and No Game No Life.

Now, there were some things I liked. All the English attack names. The theme songs. Mui when she was being cute. Kurumi's transformation power the three or so times she used it. And Mahoko. Nao Toyama must've had fun doing the episode previews, so the lack of Mahoko in the finale brings it down another point.

There's the seed of good ideas in here, but it never quite gelled together into something that worked. It takes a lot for an anime to faze me, and this is the first time I can truly call something that I watched a trainwreck. The director worked the best with what he had, and the character songs may be decent, but that was just a mess.

The way that tone, particularly, is handled, should be worth noting because the way that the show transitions form comedy to drama (and sometimes back again) without losing anything in the process is remarkable considering how many shows completely mess this up and either undercut the drama or step on the comedy. If they hadn't done that correctly then we wouldn't care about these fairly standard characters but because we see them from many sides in many different moods they feel more realistic and complex then perhaps they even are.

The tone shifts didn't seem any more seamless or effective than a typical shounen to me. That's just me though.

As for other complaints, the conflict with Rabo seemed underdeveloped to me and I did not like the outright abandonment of Bishaemon (something that I'm learning did not happen in the manga). I would need more time to write up my other issues with the show, but I don't really have the motivation.

Hmm, Hosanna really isn't kidding about the last few years of BONES. Not really a single great show (besides FMA: B which frankly has a lot of problems) -

Soul Eater
Heiress of the Phantom Thief
X'amd
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini
Heroman
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto
Gosick
Un-Go
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
Blast of Tempest
Tenkai Knights
Noragami

Look at all that mediocrity! Noragami is literally more competent than their last dozen or so shows!

Just curious, how many of these have you watched to completion? I wouldn't put Noragami anywhere near Soul Eater, even with its poor ending.

Hanada, like Ishihara, is incredibly hit/miss. He handles comedy and comedic elements well, but lacks the subtleties to carry more serious content at times. I truthfully blame Ishihara more for Ren as he's handled the second season of a romantic comedy before and should know better.

(Still liked the movie though, it's an enjoyable recap of a decently composed season.)

I will admit that the movie is the part of the Chuu2Chuu franchise that I liked the most/hated the least.

Rearranging the stuff of season 1 to make it seem like a more reasonable romance journey and removing that whole talk that basically made the whole season feel like a pointless exercise made it a lot better.

Dresden

Only a few days left in the season, so I should catch up on cartoons.

Catching up on:

Noragami
Silver Spoon
Space Dandy
Yowamushi Pedal

and i guess i should wrap up klk since i have two episodes left.

cajunator

Banned
If it's not season 3 I will flip every table in this world. EVERY. TABLE.

b-but..my table ;_;

Both of you are going to anime hell for your blasphemy.

I imagine you as a little corgi saying this and its the cutest thing.

Tell me GAF how much of a fucktard I am for not watching Golden Boy? Probably going to watch the first 2/3 apisodes today.

well..
just watch it!

I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw this clip (spoilers for anyone who cares)

Holy crap.

This reminds me of that one episode of Tsukuyomi Moonphase. It was just as much a clip show episode as this.

Mikakunin - 12

Quite a worthy finale that beg for another season..

Well it was fun , the drama lasted less long than expected and the tension was nicely handled. Too bad the drama always comes from a misunderstanding of kobeni or a behavior problem from hakuya ..Well it matters not .

Overall i liked the character , i liked the setting and the anime was cute ... oh it was cute
it was a sleeper hit ( for me ) OP animation is great , ED animation & music is excellent .

I'll welcome a S2

This show took one last swipe at my heart with Mashiro on a broom. what an enjoyable series. Im used to the Benio-type characters so she never bothered me. Mashiro is just one of the cutest characters ever made.

Jex

dsc_0153jakeh.jpg

jman2050

Golden Time 24

2D-kun tied with Ruri for Best Bro of Winter 2014. Good going.

Requsite "amnesia doesn't work that way" acknowledgement disclaimer.

Ending was decent, except for that bridge scene where I had no idea what the hell they were going for. At least
Linda won the
Ghost
Banri!
. Final verdict: Started strong, didn't end quite as strongly, not as good as Toradora but then what is?

Jex

As for other complaints, the conflict with Rabo seemed underdeveloped to me and I did not like the outright abandonment of Bishaemon (something that I'm learning did not happen in the manga). I would need more time to write up my other issues with the show, but I don't really have the motivation.

I agree with you on both points, although again not to the point where I felt it was a detraction from the show as a whole and both of those things are a direct result of adapting the material with only 12 episodes. Why did Blast of Tempest get to be twice as long as this?

With regards to the rest of BONES' output I haven't watched many of them to completion, just bits and pieces of most of them to form a general opinion.

cajunator

Banned
YAMMIE THE RAMMIE IN THE WHAMMIE 10

-Tickle torture
-A fox woman with no panties. Note that her genitals are obscured, just that the obscuring done to her genitalia extends outward in a hilarious radius drawing all attention right the fuck there.
-Sexual Harassment of a man.
-SUDDENLY A CHARACTER ISN'T DEAD. Like there was cohesion to any of this anyway. I mean, how does Lilith keep finding time to come bug Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet when she's always with Lesbian Incest Sword?
-Then we start ripping off Gundam. To wit: 1) the body that comes drifting toward the camera is just like the ones from the opening of several early Zeta Gundam episodes. 2) The galaxy shown could be just a galaxy except that the rest of the Gundam rip offs make it more likely a reference to the OPs of Zeta and ZZ. 3)A boy named Lamuro 4)The ship basically is one giant visual reference to the White Base and 5) The ship's computer's name is Lalah
-More pancakes
-Did I mention that the ship just basically left the corpses of adults and pretended to be them for like, years?

I want to say all of this is going somewhere, but I'm terrified of where that must be.

This is a show where a character is described as "that creature Lilith created and then forgot about"
ANYTHING GOES.
Fuck MediaBlasters :(

This looks pleasantly generically cute.

Maybe KyoAni just isn't that good outside of Takemoto and their high-quality animation. Hyouka was just a fluke of them having a great script for once that's unlikely to be replicated.

KyoAni is very talented but perhaps they should look at the kind of material that Shaft adapts. Shaft usually adapts really fun things.

Maybe I've just accepted my role with no regrets?

I'm a duck who wanted to be a princess but in the end will always be a duck!

Quack

I just read this in Luci Christians voice ;_;

Xam'd is one third promising series (those two opening episodes sure are fantastic) and two thirds complete and utter mess. Do I need to discuss the old people's home arc and how the pacing of the series as a whole faired during that part of the show? Must I examine how the series had no sense of direction and how the plot flailed around desperately trying to get a grip on a simple core idea? This is the same problem that a number of original BONES properties suffer from - their stories start out okay and then tend to collapse about half way through due to sever writing problems.

And I like Xam'd, and wish BONES would do something like it (but much better) yet I cannot deny how horribly flawed it is.

You should rewatch it. The first time I watched it I pretty much thought the same. But the second time I went through it I fell completely in love. The show is thoughtful, the characters live in a universe and the show actually takes the time to flesh it out and realise it. Nakiami is hands down the best main female in any anime I have watched. If you know any better then I want to watch that show.

The old people's home arc is bad, but not as bad as you remember. A good bit of that time is spent fleshing out Yango and Nakiami, and stuff going on back on the island. I disagree that the show had no sense of direction, although I will admit it isn't made abundantly clear very early as to where it is heading, and the second half is often seen as in a different scope to the first.

The music is INCREDIBLE. Definitely my no.1 OST, although I will admit I don't listen to most OST's. But when I watched Xam'd there was no doubt in my mind that the music was incredible.

Trust me. Rewatch it, the second time you aren't rushed so you can take in everything.

He's out for the count!

Nothing too serious.

But... I've been good! No, daddy no!!! :p

You pushed Clannad AS one too many times. Also you can't spell psycho.

It was only a matter of time pshyconinja. Which I've always pronounced P-zydeconinja

I actually have a really long story behind my name but that's for a different thread.

Also I will never apologize for liking probably one of the best anime. :)

cajunator

Banned
Yameleven

vwA5rUJ.gif

How dumb do you have to be to sever your lifeline while it is right in front of you? I mean that shit was contrived. The only thing less believable in this episode than that was that there was a heterosexual relationship.

But hey, why spend an entire episode on that when we can SPLIT IT BETWEEN TWO EPISODES MEANINGLESSLY?

Please enjoy bullshit hijinks in this floating Japanese house in space. Did you know this fox woman has tits? No? LET'S ZOOM IN ON EM SOME MORE.

And now I guess shit is about to go down. I mean we finally all caught up to Eve/Ebu/Jill/Lulau/Hatsumi/IncestSister/whogivesashitanymore.

So basically after all this searching they just fucking stumble across her, purely by chance. I wish I could be disappointed by that'd require I had expectations of this shit. The worst part is we've stopped doing wacky crazy stuff and moved on to the white trash bumper stickers of anime plot lines.

I could not care less about this at the moment. This anime is one of those shows that MAKES ME WANT TO DO HOMEWORK. I will be so glad when I can kick the dust of The List from my feet for good.

The ending will probably make you scream. This will be interesting.

Golden Time 24 END

Really good ending, though there are parts that you can tell were truncated. Probably my favorite show from 2013. Dislike Linda's choice at the very end though. Want to read the light novels, so gotta get back into studying Japanese because I doubt these will ever be localized.

Also, the winner of the Golden Time print is...

Thoraxes. Congrats!

CONGRATULATIONS AWESOMEBEAR :D

This list is mysterious but non-threatening

Extollere come back to us and watch Strike Witches!

I miss Extollere a lot :(

You pushed Clannad AS one too many times. Also you can't spell psycho.

It was only a matter of time pshyconinja. Which I've always pronounced P-zydeconinja

Les haricots sont pas salés

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Best out of the 'Shit Anime' list. Of all time.

So Kanye West's anime list.
I dunno about that, but I have no feel for Pshyco's taste in general. I don't know where he's coming from, or what he'd appreciate being pointed towards. Like when cosmic says something about a show I know what he's looking for and can gauge what that means to my own tastes accordingly.

He's pretty much been a Clannad marketer. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom