• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Maybe they're the studio version of Mari Okada. Straight adaptations? Perfectly fine, assuming the source material itself is good. Trying to do their own thing? Falls flat on their face.

I'm pretty sure KyoAni were highly praised for the original stuff they did in K-ON!!.

(Also Chuuni Ren was good, so there)

Wooser no Sonohi-Gurashi Kakusei-hen 12 END

I was…not prepared for this.

Goddammit Wooser, defying the very concept of expectations to the last.

IT WAS HIS BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAAAY

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As somebody who really enjoyed Chuu2 S1, S2 was a total disappointment. The new character is beyond awful, the story really goes nowhere, the characters don't really go anywhere either. It's a pretty pointless show. Not really terrible or offensive, just pointless.

Mondy

Banned
Maybe they're the studio version of Mari Okada. Straight adaptations? Perfectly fine, assuming the source material itself is good. Trying to do their own thing? Falls flat on their face.

I can only assume that season 3 is in the works already, but that ending seemed pretty emphatic. For it to end on that note is a bit....Yeah.

Also, what the fuck was that approach to Isshiki?
Oh, he's suddenly bla*ahem* deeply tanned and now all of a sudden, after being largely absent for the duration of the show, is gay.

And they tried to play their inability to write a decent plotline for him off as some sort of running gag. Turn it up, KyoAni.

duckroll

As somebody who really enjoyed Chuu2 S1, S2 was a total disappointment. The new character is beyond awful, the story really goes nowhere, the characters don't really go anywhere either. It's a pretty pointless show. Not really terrible or offensive, just pointless.

Do you think that's the reason why there was like a 50% drop-off for sales in S2 so far?

CorvoSol

YAMMIE THE RAMMIE IN THE WHAMMIE 10

-Tickle torture
-A fox woman with no panties. Note that her genitals are obscured, just that the obscuring done to her genitalia extends outward in a hilarious radius drawing all attention right the fuck there.
-Sexual Harassment of a man.
-SUDDENLY A CHARACTER ISN'T DEAD. Like there was cohesion to any of this anyway. I mean, how does Lilith keep finding time to come bug Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet when she's always with Lesbian Incest Sword?
-Then we start ripping off Gundam. To wit: 1) the body that comes drifting toward the camera is just like the ones from the opening of several early Zeta Gundam episodes. 2) The galaxy shown could be just a galaxy except that the rest of the Gundam rip offs make it more likely a reference to the OPs of Zeta and ZZ. 3)A boy named Lamuro 4)The ship basically is one giant visual reference to the White Base and 5) The ship's computer's name is Lalah
-More pancakes
-Did I mention that the ship just basically left the corpses of adults and pretended to be them for like, years?

I want to say all of this is going somewhere, but I'm terrified of where that must be.

cnet128

Banned
Do you know who you're talking to?

Just because you hate K-ON doesn't make it any less of a valid point that it's well-liked =p

Also, what the fuck was that approach to Isshiki?
Oh, he's suddenly bla*ahem* deeply tanned and now all of a sudden, after being largely absent for the duration of the show, is gay.

And they tried to play their inability to write a decent plotline for him off as some sort of running gag. Turn it up, KyoAni.

I'm pretty sure Makoto has always been a joke.

Mondy

Banned
It's always a sombre time in a weird way when we enter the void between seasons. You're disappointed that all the shows you liked are finished but optimistic that the next season will bring some new classics.

R.I.P D-Frag. We hardly knew ye. Plz come back.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do you think that's the reason why there was like a 50% drop-off for sales in S2 so far?

Yes definitely.

I thought S1 ended great and there was no need for a S2 in the first place. And if they were going to go for a S2 then they needed to kick up the relationships into high gear and yet they decided to regress the characters back to where they were at before the end of S1. Adding a new girl to the mix really did nothing for the show, the worst episodes were the ones that were focused on her.

Branduil

It was a rudderless ship sailing nowhere, wasn't it. KyoAni have fallen off the wagon in many ways. Did they have some sort of talent exodus or something?

Maybe KyoAni just isn't that good outside of Takemoto and their high-quality animation. Hyouka was just a fluke of them having a great script for once that's unlikely to be replicated.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maybe KyoAni just isn't that good outside of Takemoto and their high-quality animation. Hyouka was just a fluke of them having a great script for once that's unlikely to be replicated.

But Hyouka wasn't any good.

KyoAni needs to go back to adopting quality source material. I miss the glory days of Clannad.

Mondy

Banned

It's funny you mention that because I actually think Hyouka is their worst series. So fucking boring, in my opinion.

But Hyouka wasn't any good.

KyoAni needs to go back to adopting quality source material. I miss the glory days of Clannad.

As do I, good sir/madam.

Yes definitely.

I thought S1 ended great and there was no need for a S2 in the first place. And if they were going to go for a S2 then they needed to kick up the relationships into high gear and yet they decided to regress the characters back to where they were at before the end of S1. Adding a new girl to the mix really did nothing for the show, the worst episodes were the ones that were focused on her.

Except ep.10 was the best episode of the show. Maybe the only one that felt anything close to moving.

I agree with everything else you said though.

Midonin

Z/X Ignition 11

I'm surprised at the number of series that are being held over one week into the spring season. I blame the Olympics.

So after descending into the cleavage of evil, Audium figures that Ayase's despair is better suited for its world destruction. The end goal for the finale is pretty clear, but my main wish is that Chitose and Rindo get a chance to do something cool before the finale. They haven't had as big of a role as I wanted.

Onee-chan ga Kita 12
This was a very cute series. Significantly better than the other sister show this season. I hope there is another season

Mature

I did a estimation count of how unfinished the episode was, and my manual count was about 78 cuts. There could be a bit less or a bit more, if there are more than one cut missing for certain scenes which they substituted. Maybe 75-80+ would be a good range.

What I did was count any scene where they use stills with you can clearly hear something else happening in the background, or when they recycle background or transition cuts from other parts of the episode where it makes no sense (covering for unfinished stuff.)

Since the average anime episode has about 280-340 cuts, and this was a pretty action heavy episode, it's fair to say that a quarter of the episode wasn't present in the TV broadcast version. It's really, really amazing!
Legendary. It almost makes me want to see it for myself.

K-ON!! is good too. (And I actually like most of Nichijou, though I realize that's a controversial topic around here.)

Tenumi

Banned
Engaged to the Unidentified (END)

A cute show, but a flawed show. It didn't stand out much, in my opinion. A fine watch, but not exactly a keeper.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Some reputations aren't worth defending.

Yeah some aren't. I'm not sure what your problem is with me but dragging jman into it is pretty pathetic.

Except ep.10 was the best episode of the show. Maybe the only one that felt anything close to moving.

I agree with everything else you said though.

I think the episode itself was well done but the premise of the episode is exactly why this season sucked.

They presented her as a character who wasn't going to be involved with love triangle drama bullshit
which is exactly the opposite of what happened.
I really didn't feel anything for her because she put herself in that position and knew exactly what the outcome would be.

I've enjoyed everything I've seen of KyoAni so far. Not seen the newer stuff though, except Tamako Market. Tamako and Air were the weakest ones, but still decent.

Jex

Still looks like a lot of people in here don't have Noragami in their heart, but for some reason they have Yami in their heart.

AnimeGAF! Why are you so wrong!

Mondy

Banned
Still looks like a lot of people in here don't have Noragami in their heart, but for some reason they have Yami in their heart.

I dropped that show. It bored me, quite frankly. When I have to force myself to watch an episode, that's when you know it's all over.

So since Monster is getting an HBO adaptation can we get an anime version of an HBO show? I'd love The Sopranos in anime form with the yakuza instead. As long as no random little girls are inserted because anime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I dropped that show. It bored me, quite frankly. When I have to force myself to watch an episode, that's when you know it's all over.

Yeah Noragami to me is the most disappointing show of 2014.

Its by far the best looking show of the year but the story is so bland. Really hate how
Bishasmon
got relegated to useless status after her arc, really wish it was longer or covered more source material (I assume theres more out there, I don't actually know).

I think you've been around here long enough to know that the outrageously terrible tends to attract more attention than the consistently well-made.

jman2050

YAMMIE THE RAMMIE IN THE WHAMMIE 10

I want to say all of this is going somewhere, but I'm terrified of where that must be.

That seems to be a recurring theme here. You have characters and plotlines that actually do go somewhere. Just that that "somewhere" is always far worse than where we started.

fertygo

Is last 3-4 of Chooney S2 is pretty bad? becauhase first 8 eps that I watch is the best stretch from the series.

To be fair the reason for that is maybe extremely stupid such as the fan not accepting the plot having actual dating relationship in plot.

cnet128

Banned

I watched Noragami to the end, enjoyed it, and would like to see an S2, but I wouldn't say it was one of the standout shows of the season by any means. I think it's been getting about the right amount of attention.

Branduil

So using Kimi ni Todoke s2s(KnT²) as a unit of measurement, how bad was the character regression/status quo enforcement in Chuunibyou 2?

Jex

Yeah Noragami to me is the most disappointing show of 2014.

Its by far the best looking show of the year but the story is so bland. Really hate how
Bishasmon
got relegated to useless status after her arc, really wish it was longer or covered more source material (I assume theres more out there, I don't actually know).
I see. Such is taste. I kind of have to agree with darkside about the censored, but it didn't bother me that much as it was clear they were trying to set something up for the finale that didn't involve that character. Glancing briefly at the manga it seems like the way the story arcs panned out had more to do with getting to something of a conclusion by the end of episode 12, which I think was the right choice given their runtime.

Link Man

Banned
Oh yes, and I almost forgot to mention Minorin nearly having an orgasm at the thought of the class holding a haunted house for the culture festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom