• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, Tatami Galaxy is one of the best animated TV shows there's ever been.

It would have been better had it been half the length. It repeats itself too many times, which is not good considering the show has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. But I'm pretty lukewarm on Yuasa in general.

Edit: Oh, you meant the animation specifically, nevermind then.

CorvoSol

I want to go watch Book of Mormon with Corvo now. First foul-mouthed Mormon I've met. At least gotten to know enough to the point they openly curse in front of me... behind a screen.

I've actually never seen the play. Also I've never watched South Park. I know people who have, but I dunno. I mean, if I was gonna go see a musical or stage show I can think of numerous other ones I'd rather go see.

cajunator

Banned
Am. I attend Brigham Young University of Idaho and attend services regularly. The foul mouth and awful behavior tends to reflect poorly at this point.

No. I am not from Utah. I've hardly ever even BEEN to Utah. I'm from the West Coast.

Ah. Thought you mentioned Utah before. Something about Idaho for sure.

I've actually never seen the play. Also I've never watched South Park. I know people who have, but I dunno. I mean, if I was gonna go see a musical or stage show I can think of numerous other ones I'd rather go see.

There's a whole episode of SP parodying mormons. Not sure how much you'd like it but I find it hilarious. Then again I used to be a hyper catholic and I'm now an agnostic.

jman2050

But they kissed twice...
in the cheek

There are other ways to show love beside kisses. But since Hollywood introduced the Hollywood kiss, hugs or holding hands are no longer signs of love, and this is how some old aunts and uncles of mine show love, instead of hot kisses.

I think it's endemic of a bigger problem when a show can't make its developed relationship meaningful and convincing enough that something as overt and outwardly affectionate as a final kiss wouldn't be absolutely necessary. I'm not going to make a final judgment as to whether Utah and Rikka's relationship was necessarily like that, but my following of the second season wasn't promising.

Branduil

It's puzzling. It's not the first time I've seen a complaint raised against its animation here.

In a world of "Perfect Everything Works," are you really surprised by different opinions on animation? It doesn't help that art direction, character designs, etc., are often conflated with animation itself.

cajunator

Banned
I spend most of my time in Idaho. I have to go through Utah to get home because Salt Lake City is the nearest major airport. Sometimes Idaho is just East Washington/North Utah anyway.

That was probably it. You were in Salt Lake recently I thought maybe you lived there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Golden Time -fin-

Vjss1KZ.gif

What a roller coaster, in every way. Emotionally, quality, consistency it was up and it was down all series. But at the end of it I really, really enjoyed it.

2D-kun was a god damn boss. I get why hes so popular now. Glad the show
had a happy ending. Banri and Koko being together was the only way the show should have ended.

and dat eiffel tower. whoo whoo.

cajunator

Banned
There's a whole episode of SP parodying mormons. Not sure how much you'd like it but I find it hilarious. Then again I used to be a hyper catholic and I'm now an agnostic.

My city is 90% catholic. Not exaggerating. Everybody is catholic.
the good thing about that is catholics are way less anal about people who arent christian so its not like those fire and brimstone baptist crazy places.

Shergal

It's puzzling. It's not the first time I've seen a complaint raised against its animation here. Criticize its narrative flaws, sure, but the production itself is top notch from start to finish.

Is it really surprising though? Starting from the jaggy lineart, all of Yuasa's stuff can be mistaken for crummy child drawings.
Yuasa himself admits that he can't draw according to traditional standards, and since his approach to art & animation pretty much carries over entirely to everything he directs, it's understandable.

It would have been better had it been half the length. It repeats itself too many times, which is not good considering the show has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. But I'm pretty lukewarm on Yuasa in general.

I was talking specifically about the animation being really good, in response to his statement that it was only "so-so" and the show must have "ran out of budget" (as if the style of the show was done out of budgetary concerns instead of being an artistic choice). But the repetition didn't really bother me much.

I was talking specifically about the animation being really good, in response to his statement that it was only "so-so" and the show must have "ran out of budget" (as if the style of the show was done out of budgetary concerns instead of being an artistic choice). But the repetition didn't really bother me much.

Yeah, I misunderstood the emphasis of your post. I thought you were talking about the quality of the show as a whole. I'm not sure I'd put it quite that high, but the animation and production was certainly high quality.

Read the superior adaptation.

I'm p. sure both times
were on the lips
unless I'm remembering it wrong.

You're right.
I was talking of Chu2, in Aura it's in the lips.

You can hug and hold hands with family and close friends. You can't kiss people in the mouth without it being romantic. When you're attracted to someone, and you're a bit more grown up, it's the first sign of intimacy that may lead to hot sexy time or business time.

Unless you're one of those weird families that kiss in the lips with your children/parents.

Let me tell you about the birds and the bees the flowers and the trees...

What I'm talking about is that before Hollywood started selling the kiss as it is today, yeah people kissed before but it was not the be all and end all of a relantioship, it was a part just as hugging, holding hands or just being there. Atleast you won't see my grandparents engaging in hot sexy, they have other ways of expressing their love.

This reminds me of the time a girl tried to kiss my cheek as a greeting, haha. I was freaking out because 1)I'm not smooth and 2)as a clergyman I was expressly forbidden even from greeting kisses at the time. Poor child looked so at a loss when I made a scene of jerking away from the kiss and stuff. Felt so bad.

TOMATOES ARE VIRTUE

PANCAKES ARE THE INDUSTRIAL SHIT OF THE CENTURIES. THEY ARE THE MERIKAN BURGER OF ANIME FOODSTUFFS

Hahaha, that's normal around here.

jman2050

YAMI TO BOBOBO BO BOBOBO BO BO TO PANKEIKI NO SEIKAI DE PANQUECAS 13

TASTREWS THE BATTER OF SIN BITCHES.

Please someone make this his tag. Please please please make this his tag. We have reached peak Corvo.

Okay, so my thoughts as regards Eve are basically that she's
a selfish sociopathic troll the likes no world has ever seen. The amount of physical and emotional scarring left by her nigh endless unnecessary meddling into god-knows-how-many worlds and subsequent sudden traumatizing disappearance from said worlds is innumerable. It could be counted in the millions or billions for all we know. There's no explanation or legitimate law or reason for why she has to disappear suddenly on her sixteenth birthday so it can only be surmised that she does it for shits and giggles so she can cover being born in more worlds in less time. She has no regard for human feelings so she's perfectly content to paper over Gargantua's centuries-old suffering by distracting him via using Ritsuko as a love surrogate/sponge and willing to brush off Hatsuki by making out with her once than wiping her memories and hand-waving some predestined child nonsense as a weak consolation prize, thus making her entire struggle effectively pointless. All so she can just piss off in the library with Lilith for god knows how long and start this insane sociopathic whimsical trip through time and space over again, leaving nothing but broken dreams and suffering in her wake.

So essentially, Eve is worse than every other anime villain combined. Why cause pain and suffering in one location or even one world when you can do it in ALL worlds at ALL times, INFINITELY?!

It's puzzling. It's not the first time I've seen a complaint raised against its animation here. Criticize its narrative flaws, sure, but the production itself is top notch from start to finish.

Really? No one? I mean I know everyone has their own personal tastes and all but... I thought the animation was meh and episode 10 was like "alright we entered a new area of bad". It as a few narrative flaws and it's too repetitive in early episodes but it's alright I guess. It has it's own brand of humor that not everyone will love. It's been hit or miss with me to be perfectly honest.

The entire anime itself baffles me. Usually I am left speechless at the end of every episode because it's so out there. I wish I could screen cap some shots because there are some REALLY BAD ones.

Shit, now Hito has the power of Miyuki

YAMI TO BOBOBO BO BOBOBO BO BO TO PANKEIKI NO SEIKAI DE PANQUECAS 13

ibrjclx5idcdnC.gif

What. WHAT. WHATWHATWHATTHEFUCK DID THAT EVEN WHAT THE FUCKD TID THAT EVEN MEAN!?

What was the point of Meirin and Seiren as characters? They're jsut compleklsrly forgotten at the end and I todn pt'aeven knwo what the hrwell I just looked at i menaen can you realyhlu just readoj to he enteire fireist epsrtieseode like that!?

And I would like to point out that HATSUMI MADE OUT WITH HER MOTHER. WHO IS HER SISTER. WHO IS HER MOTHER. WHO SHE MADE OUT WITH. WHAT EHE KDmna;okdOLdjaglkwn/LT'ra|RSA :LCGRA'M;TR

PANCAKES ARE EVIL.

FUJCK MEAT. PANCAKES ARE SATAN"S DISKH

TASTREWS THE BATTER OF SIN BITCHES.

I AM ALPHA AND DOMEGA THE FIRKEDST EPISODE AND THE LAST EPIOSDE. I AMDBNMA THE BEGINNING, THE MIDLAKNSLE AND THE END.

ibgiCBV9FoNT49.gif

LET Me tell you something about the LIST man. THE LIST IS SHIT. SHIT. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. And if you watch it? YOUR LIFE MEASN SHIT. YOU ARE SHIT TO THE LIST. THE LIST DON'T GIVE A SHIT. You think you're gonna be fine watching Code Geass and Blood C and shit and then you begin to claw your wahy throough the sitcky crust of 80s cop ovas and that's where you find youasrlef being lecutred on the glori of bad dubs.

BUT THAT'S THE BEGINNG.

Then, right there at the bottom, when you're like "I can see the home stretch! This is the path to regaining my self respect and the admiration of my peers!" THAT'S WHEN YOU START WATCHING INTERPLANETARY LESBIAN RAPE STORIES.

Master stroke

Link Man

Banned
Yami 7

Did I mention that this is the best tiger ever?

Wait. ALL CHILDREN HAVE MAGIC. This is what Lilith said. Wat.

So the elf boy shows up in a maid outfit, and says that Lilith created Seiren then forgot about her. WAT.

Your lucky color is yellow. Your lucky item is toast.

Oh hey, Hazuki is echoing the same sentiments as Gargantua. That's got to be significant, right?

Little mute girl starts singing, and immediately lies about it. What the hell.

Shower scenes, towel scenes and masturbation, oh my!

Oh look, they're listening to the OP song. And even more unlikely, they seem to be enjoying it!

And now we get Hatsumi's period. Wonderful.

AND NOW Hazuki is masturbating on Hatsumi's bed. Because of her scent. While looking at a picture of the two of them as young children.

Yay, more pancakes! Now with erotic music!

Defuser

Golden Time end

Ghost Banri is still a dick.
2D kun is still a bro.
Mitsuo is still useless.

Chiaki Kon is still the worst director of J.C.Staff.

CorvoSol

Hahaha, that's normal around here.

Even then I knew it was normal, but the problem was I didn't know what to do. Looking back now what I *should* have done was just roll with the kiss and either 1)explained afterward that it wasn't something I was supposed to do or 2)said nothing. Because I reacted the way I did, I made the poor girl look stupid in public and lost a foot in a door as a result. But I had been in the country like, 4 months max at the time and a mere 2 of those out and among the people, so I just didn't know what to do.

Please someone make this his tag. Please please please make this his tag. We have reached peak Corvo.

Okay, so my thoughts as regards Eve are basically that she's
a selfish sociopathic troll the likes no world has ever seen. The amount of physical and emotional scarring left by her nigh endless unnecessary meddling into god-knows-how-many worlds and subsequent sudden traumatizing disappearance from said worlds is innumerable. It could be counted in the millions or billions for all we know. There's no explanation or legitimate law or reason for why she has to disappear suddenly on her sixteenth birthday so it can only be surmised that she does it for shits and giggles so she can cover being born in more worlds in less time. She has no regard for human feelings so she's perfectly content to paper over Gargantua's centuries-old suffering by distracting him via using Ritsuko as a love surrogate/sponge and willing to brush off Hatsuki by making out with her once than wiping her memories and hand-waving some predestined child nonsense as a weak consolation prize, thus making her entire struggle effectively pointless. All so she can just piss off in the library with Lilith for god knows how long and start this insane sociopathic whimsical trip through time and space over again, leaving nothing but broken dreams and suffering in her wake.

So essentially, Eve is worse than every other anime villain combined. Why cause pain and suffering in one location or even one world when you can do it in ALL worlds at ALL times, INFINITELY?!

She's a monster, yes, but now I have to sit down and wonder if she's more evil than QB, the Devil Gundam, School Days' Makoto or Dio Brando.

Eh, she's probably more evil than Dio. Dio was a huge dick, but he was also a gentleman about it.

I think it's endemic of a bigger problem when a show can't make its developed relationship meaningful and convincing enough that something as overt and outwardly affectionate as a final kiss wouldn't be absolutely necessary. I'm not going to make a final judgment as to whether Utah and Rikka's relationship was necessarily like that, but my following of the second season wasn't promising.

Yeah, I wish Japananimes could have a nice love story, but it's pretty hard for them. Kyoani doesn't know how to handle a relationship, too.

It was more a reaction to wonzo calling Aura the superior anime(And it is by other merits), because they kissed.

Tuck

Magi 24

I see what Duckroll meant went he said they overdose on super-powered shonen tropes. Meh, its still fun. At least they have gone out of their way to explain the mechanics of magic in this world. Sad its over in 1 episode, hope it gets another season.

wonzo

Banned
Yeah, I wish Japananimes could have a nice love story, but it's pretty hard for them. Kyoani doesn't know how to handle a relationship, too.

It was more a reaction to wonzo calling Aura the superior anime(And it is by other merits), because they kissed.
I wasn't saying the kissing was the only reason it's better tho~

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Is this the general anime gaf thread? I don't really catch up on the new animes but I've started High school DxD and Haganai recently. The former being pretty... well you know.
BOOBIES
I like the concept to Haganai so far (and I guess I just enjoy pointless animes in general).

Link Man

Banned
Is this the general anime gaf thread? I don't really catch up on the new animes but I've started High school DxD and Haganai recently. The former being pretty... well you know.
BOOBIES
I like the concept to Haganai so far (and I guess I just enjoy pointless animes in general).

Yep. New shows, anime news and the eternal backlog.

Hahaha, I didn't even know! It's like two Soviet undercover agents in America discovering one another's identity here!

Bahahahahaha. That's the first time I heard someone refer to it like that.

I am always surprised though. Mormons are just like anyone else really. Like I've said before I don't mind ribbing because that's something that people would rib on me about. I remember once someone asked...

"Hey so I heard about this Seminary thing you guys do before school..."
"Oh yeah. Isn't that fun. Waking up at 5am."/s
"So, yeah, someone told me what you guys in Seminary do is strip naked and pretend to be in ancient wars and fight each other. This is so you can prepare for the 'Holy War'. Is this true?"
"What?! Ahahahahahaha. That's funny dude you just made my day."
"Is it true?"
"You serious? Of course not. What idiot would agree to doing that?"

Still cracks me up to this day. I was so taken aback. That was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I laughed so hard.

So yeah being a Mormon was always funny because you get to hear all these ridiculous and hilarious stories/rumors people ask about.

jman2050

The main thing I'm getting from those gifs are that no one knows how to properly cook pancakes.

Hint: If you see even a hint of anything black, you did it wrong!

Branduil

I think you bring up an important point here.

In the end, a single kiss isn't really that important. The reason so many fans latch onto a single romanticized moment like that is because anime is so freaking bad at depicting romance most of the time that they yearn for an unmistakable expression of actual love. Anime being anime they often stumble even over this half-foot bar.

Magi 24

I see what Duckroll meant went he said they overdose on super-powered shonen tropes. Meh, its still fun. At least they have gone out of their way to explain the mechanics of magic in this world. Sad its over in 1 episode, hope it gets another season.

It's pretty weird that usually with shonen shows I really like that ''shonen'' stuff like these huge battles with a lot of yelling and power ups but with Magi I really prefer non action episodes or those with some light action. Plot itself and characters are so intriguing.

CorvoSol

I have a confession to make
I actually kinda liked Yami's OP

It's sort of generic, though. Like, it's hard to explain but if you think about it you've heard its ilk in a thousand other shows.

Bahahahahaha. That's the first time I heard someone refer to it like that.

I am always surprised though. Mormons are just like anyone else really. Like I've said before I don't mind ribbing because that's something that people would rib on me about. I remember once someone asked...

"Hey so I heard about this Seminary thing you guys do before school..."
"Oh yeah. Isn't that fun. Waking up at 5am."/s
"So, yeah, someone told me what you guys in Seminary is strip naked and pretend to be in ancient wars and fight each other. This is so you can prepare for the 'Holy War'. Is this true?"
"What?! Ahahahahahaha. That's funny dude you just made my day."
"Is it true?"
"You serious? Of course not. What idiot would agree to doing that?"

Still cracks me up to this day. I was so taken aback. That was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I laughed so hard.

So yeah being a Mormon was always funny because you get to hear all these ridiculous and hilarious stories/rumors people ask about.

Hahaha, yeah, people have some crazy ideas.

I think you bring up an important point here.

In the end, a single kiss isn't really that important. The reason so many fans latch onto a single romanticized moment like that is because anime is so freaking bad at depicting romance most of the time that they yearn for an unmistakable expression of actual love. Anime being anime they often stumble even over this half-foot bar.

I agree with your general point, but I don't think a kiss being important is restricted to anime, it's a common thing in romance fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom