• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Silver Spoon 11 - Excellent as always. And a nice season ending, though not so much if its a show end. A good ending of a chapter. Most consistently good show all season.

Definitely going to start reading the manga.

Nagi no Asukara 25 - This show even now is keeping me guessing.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Yoku Wakaru Mahouka - 03

fLYC0bBl.jpg

I now know what a magician is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
chuu2-2 12
meanwhile in rikka's room. at the very end
utah holds down rikka while she is crying in an attempt to forcibly kiss her. his phone rings and interrupts them. they never kiss.
outside of that this episode didn't do much outside of finding a way to insert black face and gay jokes.

also, i can't tell if this show is for girls or for boys. utah has literally no sex drive. is this some kind of idealization for shut in girls?

Mature

I'm interested in the new Kindaichi, just because I love mysteries and all. The TV ad for it does give me some pause however, simply because the actor playing Kindaichi is one of the least convincing "teenagers" I've ever heard. I appreciate that they wanted to bring back the familiar cast from the first series, but having a 46-year old play a 16-year old strains credibility.
Ahh, yeah, I can see that. Maybe it's because it's been drilled into my head, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me much in Detective Conan. The main cast of 9 year old, to 17 year old characters are all voiced by people from 45 to 53 years old. They do a surprisingly great job, actually. Though it may have something to do with it being mostly female.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill 24-
thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

AO had a better finale than this.

Come the fuck on Nakashima. I can understand the piss poor production values but Nakashima, your ass has no excuse.

The Tatami Galaxy 11 [END]

"I wouldn't want to waste my dear viewers time..." -one of the last lines of the show

I find the above line ironic, a little laughable and a little frustrating. The show literally repeats itself for 10 episodes trying to tell this multi-threaded story to reach the obvious conclusion. By the time you get there to see if the MC and main chick's relationship goes anywhere we get the above line. Poor animation and art style especially later in the show knocks it down a bit along with archaic pacing and an uninteresting premise make this a suffer to watch. Although the show has it's bright spots in comedy (episodes 6-8) and bright spots in storytelling (episodes 10 &11), it falls flat on everything else it tries to do. Since it's brand of humor mostly didn't resonate with my humor, most of the jokes fell flat. Some jokes that were funny early on we're not as funny in hindsight due to the shows repetitious nature in using said jokes.

Late in the series they talked about 4.5 Tatami mat rooms. I think it's very fitting for my score of the show. A 4.5/10. The only reason it got as high as it did was because there was a few jokes I legitimately was amused by in the show (episode 6 in particular) and because of it's somewhat conclusive nature at the end.

Sorry survivor. This was not my cup of tea. I wish I did like it since you ended up liking After Story. Challenge Completed.

CorvoSol

KLK 24

I don't care what anyone says. That was a great ending to a great series. Sometimes it could be dumb and meandering, but I had a great time watching KLK.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You all are going to be so mad all over again when KLK finishes what it started and wins AOTY.

As it fucking should. Got robbed last year but this year it shall prevail.

Silver Spoon S2 -fin-

Well to be honest I'd be okay if this won too. S3 fucking when. What a great show, all these feels.

Articalys

Kill la Kill ep.24

Having lowered my expectations beforehand, that was more or less okay. It's in line with how the rest of the show had been going, at least.
Wish that Satsuki had a bit more to do in the final fight, but can't have everything, I suppose.

I think it's like a mini-series. If I remember correctly, it serves to explain some of the setting, like how magic works and stuff.

Does it explain how onii-sama is the best onii-sama ever and like his powers are so OP if hitler came back as mecha hitler shark tornado all onii-sama would have to do is look at him because onii-sama is so powerful and not enough people appreciate onii-sama, but i appreciate onii-sama onii-sama onii-sama

Jarmel

Banned
You're talking about AO, man. AO. A. O.

I know what show I'm talking about. I was raging against it long before you.

KLK's finale is just flat. The writing is shit, the visuals are shit (no good choreography in the fights and off character models), and half the characters job again.

So what am I left with? A bunch of monkeys screaming for half an hour while Imaishi goes through music we've heard multiple times already in some lame attempt to be epic.

Kill la Kill 24

A fantastic display of escalation that echoes back to the energetic presentation of Gurren Lagann while having its own distinct theme. Based on the buildup we've had so far, this is really the best ending we could ask for, and yet it still surpasses expectations. Even if the rapidly increasing heights of scale is somewhat standard in this way, it doesn't stop being exhilarating for even a moment. No, people were not throwing around galaxies, but that doesn't undermine the actions of the characters or their handling of the situation, which is perfectly alright.

As a series, I really can't say I'm disappointed in the slightest. No, it wasn't as good as Gurren Lagann, but hoping for something to surpass my favorite anime of all time is a tall order that even the creators of the show may have trouble filling. Instead, I'll just look at this as probably the best spiritual successor we could have received without following in the footsteps of a level of escalation that will never be surpassed in fiction.

It is not without issues. There was a small chunk of uneventful episodes in the middle that were frankly underwhelming, but I'm not afraid to say the same about TTGL. The payoff is most definitely worth the comparatively small batch of disappointment, and while I might have done things differently, this is still a 10/10 in my book. This will not enter my top 5 like I was hoping, and I'd have to seriously consider it for my top 10 when it isn't as fresh in my mind, but this is every bit worthy of the Imaishi seal and something I could easily recommend to people that can tolerate the fanservice.

jman2050

KLK's finale is just flat. The writing is shit, the visuals are shit (no good choreography in the fights and off character models), and half the characters job again.

So what am I left with? A bunch of monkeys screaming for half an hour while Imaishi goes through music we've heard multiple times already in some lame attempt to be epic.

Better than TTGL

CorvoSol

I dunno, I guess I just place greater stain upon AO for ruining something I loved than KLK could possibly earn, since it's unconnected to anything anyway. For all I hated Yami I still hate AO way, way more.

It is out in raw form if you must watch it, CR is airing it tomorrow.

Guess I'll wait till tomorrow, then. Woulda been a hype night to end with SamFlam, though.

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno, I guess I just place greater stain upon AO for ruining something I loved than KLK could possibly earn, since it's unconnected to anything anyway. For all I hated Yami I still hate AO way, way more.

I still hate AO much more but I think it had a better finale than KLK. Trust me, I was having near aneurysms when watching AO near the end.

Vecks

Engaged to the Unidentified 12

That was rather pleasant. Didn't expect that at all. No real drama, just a sweet and happy ending.

Articalys

So KyoAni went from kicking women into the kitchen last season, to black face this season and a second season of Free?. KyoAni is just doing everything wrong.
Still got this coming in the Fall* season:

http://moca-news.net/article/20140328/201403281200a/01/
(*technically not confirmed for Fall yet, but there's pretty much no other place for it to go since it's confirmed for 2014 and Free S2 is a virtual lock for Summer even though it hasn't technically been confirmed for that season either)

CorvoSol

There's more people here from the Northwest than i thought.

Glorious, Green Pac Northwest. Cannot wait to be back for the Summer when the sun'll be shining and the evergreens as green as possible and the lakes asparklin'.

I'm like Samwise Gamgee thinkin' bout the Shire on Mt. Doom right now.

Did we ever find out if that dude that stole the goku uniform in the first episode die?

Pretty sure he did, but on the other hand I can't imagine them
making Gama a killer after he turned out to be such a softy.

Syrinx

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 1

Ryoko sure has taken a liking to Tenchi after the whole trying to get revenge for being locked away for 700 years by killing him brutally thing. I dunno, she seems more playful and mischievous than straight-up evil. Maybe that whole legend is exaggerated. Not that her being evil would be a bad thing.

Pretty sure he did, but on the other hand I can't imagine them
making Gama a killer after he turned out to be such a softy.

It's weird, I was expecting that to set the pace for the show by making killing a non-issue, but then very few characters actually died. Maybe the plan changed as the show was airing or something.

Just because I wasn't in love with From the New World as much as everyone else on GAF and because I didn't like The Tatami Galaxy, I will automatically hate anything people recommend? Okay....

I'm not saying that necessarily, but based on the personality you have shown here, Haibane Renmei does not seem like a show you will like. You'll probably find it boring and obtuse. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

Midonin

It's weird, I was expecting that to set the pace for the show by making killing a non-issue, but then very few characters actually died. Maybe the plan changed as the show was airing or something.
The reason is because the "kill"s in the title were linguistic puns that were chosen to be romanized in an odd way. It's really more like 切るら着る - cutting clothing - than any actual killing.

Still got this coming in the Fall* season:

http://moca-news.net/article/20140328/201403281200a/01/

(*technically not confirmed for Fall yet, but there's pretty much no other place for it to go since it's confirmed for 2014 and Free S2 is a virtual lock for Summer even though it hasn't technically been confirmed for that season either)

Will KyoAni redeem itself? Will Hyouka get licensed? Will AnimeGAF see why kids love the cinnamony goodness of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom