• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason is because the "kill"s in the title were linguistic puns that were chosen to be romanized in an odd way. It's really more like 切るら着る - cutting clothing - than any actual killing.

I'm not even talking about the title, just that one action at the beginning of the series that, if it's being interpreted right, is kind of at odds with the rest of the show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm done with this season already. Bring on Spring.

I'm guessing I made the right decision when I dropped Magical Warfare.

So KyoAni went from kicking women into the kitchen last season, to black face this season and a second season of Free?. KyoAni is just doing everything wrong.

I'm not seeing how making a sequel to one of their best shows in recent memory and guaranteed to get that ludicrous Fujoshi dollars, can possibly be part of them doing everything wrong.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill la Kill - 24 [END]

A fantastic finale to an awesome series overall. The endgame battle provided the intensity and excitement I was looking for and did an excellent job in creating that engaging atmosphere that all of us were so latched on to in the early episodes. As mentioned before this show is not without its faults (during the middle portion specifically) but it slowly recovered and in the end finished strong. Though it may be a bit early since we just started the year, I can honestly see this being in my AOTY list.

I also gotta say, I am so fucking happy
they gave us a Mako x Ryuuko shipping scene
. I didn't expect it at all, but GOD DAMN AM I HAPPY ABOUT IT.

Thanks for the ride TRIGGER, it was a blast!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
KLK 24

Everything I wanted and then some. TRIGGER are the gods. My AOTY. Such a great ride.

Not sure how to feel about the sudden
Mako x Ryuuko ship
Mako x Gama was the fucking OTP.
. I am so torn.

I'm not saying that necessarily, but based on the personality you have shown here, Haibane Renmei does not seem like a show you will like. You'll probably find it boring and obtuse. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

I would love for you to be wrong too. ;)

Like I've said before I don't start anything wanting to not like it. I give most things the benefit of the doubt. (Except the FFXIII series)
So this show I am going in wanting to like. I've seen images from the show and I already like the art style. I hope that doesn't change. So I hope that I like this show too. Be nice to get absorbed into another anime.

Kids love Cinnamon Toast because they know damn well to stay the Hell away from the Devil's Breakfast.

Priest: You need to stop with this rock and roll music. IT COMES STRAIGHT FROM HELL.

Dewey Cox: It's a song about holding hands!

Priest: You know who has hands? THE DEVIL! And he uses them for holding things!

Branduil

Kill la Kill 24

Well at least there was some actual animation this time.

It was a fitting ending to this show, that is to say, poorly paced, full of cheap meaningless turnabout, and without anything to say about anything. One problem with the show conceptually is that the clothing metaphor became so convoluted and fantastic that it really didn't mean anything at all. Contrast that with the spiral metaphor from Gurren Lagann which was consistent, understandable, and properly developed from beginning to end.

Anime is dead.

Jintor

It was a fitting ending to this show, that is to say, poorly paced, full of cheap meaningless turnabout, and without anything to say about anything. One problem with the show conceptually is that the clothing metaphor became so convoluted and fantastic that it really didn't mean anything at all. Contrast that with the spiral metaphor from Gurren Lagann which was consistent, understandable, and properly developed from beginning to end.

Haven't seen 24 yet, but this has been bugging me throughout the whole series. The clothing metaphor just doesn't mean anything, and never has.

CorvoSol

OP would just be a link to that randomc page and title would just taunt Dresden again. I don't want to get ganked.

If I made the OP the title would be a joke about Cajunator outposting everyone and the OP would be an unfunny gif from a show nobody wanted to remember anyway. Season previews would be a link to the front page of Wikipedia with a .bmp of the words "Do it yourself" hastily scribbled in.

I'd probably deserve to be banned for the OP alone.

Syrinx

If I made the OP the title would be a joke about Cajunator outposting everyone and the OP would be an unfunny gif from a show nobody wanted to remember anyway. Season previews would be a link to the front page of Wikipedia with a .bmp of the words "Do it yourself" hastily scribbled in.

I'd probably deserve to be banned for the OP alone.

Just make it about pancakes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spring 2014 Anime Thread of Everybody going to IHOP for PANCAKES

Kill la Kill - 24 END / Series Review
It's a shame the show dragged its feet for so long without establishing any character growth from most of its cast. With how eventful the last third of the show is, you'd think I'd care more about what was happening than I actually did. It's frustrating watching a main character stumble time after time on her own faults, yet the writing is content with the bare minimum of flipping the switch between angst and fleeting kindness from beginning to end. But this is an action focused show, so maybe I can see past those issues and look at the fight choreography and get swept up in the hot blooded emotions, right? Well, that may have been possible if all of the fights didn't boil down to characters flailing swords at each other until one of them reveals their ass pull power up attack. The ever-present lack of stakes doesn't help the fights or big moments either as characters frequently reveal new tricks, things they secretly whipped up before said fight, or, in Ryuko's case, are apparently so powerful that they can easily escape situations that other characters are telling the audience they shouldn't be able to.

There's also that whole
sexual abuse
angle that I'm surprised Imaishi and Nakashima even went for to begin with. In theory, it could have created an interesting layer to
Satsuki
, who was already one of the better characters in the show, and her relationship to a certain other character. But the execution of it came off as really crass in a show that I would say was far too over the top for it to even be attempted.

The actual ending is fine for what it is, but I couldn't help but feel empty while watching it. A big emotional beat happens near the end of it and I just couldn't empathize with it because I never grew attached to these characters and their shticks throughout KLK's half-assed attempts at character development. For me, this ended up being a lot of squandered potential considering what I know this duo is capable of orchestrating. It had its moments here and there but was generally bogged down by average to below average execution and pacing.

CorvoSol

Haven't seen 24 yet, but this has been bugging me throughout the whole series. The clothing metaphor just doesn't mean anything, and never has.

For a brief moment when Ragyo was introduced and gave her speech about clothing being sin I hoped it might pan out into something more, but I confess that yeah, it never really did go anywhere.

Just make it about pancakes.

.__.

Spring 2014 Anime Thread of Everybody going to IHOP for PANCAKES

.________________________________.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 31

Right from the start you get a freaky-deaky BlackWarGreymon moment as he searches the world for someone to murder. It's great.

Kari demonstrating her power of light as usual, pushing Yolei to compare herself. Oh hey this is the second Sea of Darkness episode isn't it. The timing is all out for this scene though - none of the jokes picking on Davis really land because the timing is completely fucked, with unnatural pauses between words and sentences... actually, the whole thing is off. Which sucks because this is a more serious episode.

Super awkward episode. Good sentiment, terrible execution. But hey, at least we got a DNA Digievolution outta it.

CorvoSol

Spring of Anime |OT| Way = Lost

EDIT: Thinking about Yami again for a moment, Lilith comments that both Gargantua and Hazuki look like Yami, who also made the hat. YAMI NEVER APPEARS IN THE SHOW OR IS EXPLAINED AT ALL.

Midonin

Kill La Kill 24 + Final Thoughts

For a series half based on terrible Japanese puns (in retrospect), I wasn't sure what to expect from this going in. It was being hyped on elements I understood (the Gurren Lagann staff) and ones that matter less, but once I got myself in the frame of mind to watch it down the road - as a twisted take on the magical girl series - I came to finally appreciate it. And in a way, I sort of always did. It let me make so many Den-O jokes.

It's hard to deny the role clothing plays in the anime fandom. So many outfits that are considered and adored - maid outfits, catgirl outfits, nurse outfits, race queen outfits - and while this series wasn't exactly about cosplay - except for the school uniform, which is just as omnipresent - for me, the overriding idea of the series mostly worked. The constant twists never felt like they came entirely out of nowhere, and events from the opening did come into play near the end, solidly enough.

Mako's the best. In everything. And the best is Mako. I like all the girls in the series, even Nonon. (Music is her motif. I can't dislike that.) And Nui in her own way. But not really Ragyo, she's meant to be hated. Gamgoori turned out to be lovable in his own way, and that the series kept using "DTR" amuses me to no end. It has its faults, sure, but I felt they never got to the point that it ruined anything about the series for me. It was always fun to watch and see where it would go next.

The
space battle
never went quite as big as I'd hoped, but the
final power-up for Ryuuko
was exciting. It was something memorable and entertaining, and if a series can be that and ambitious, that's plenty. I still need to get the theme songs.

And maybe watch Utena at some point. KLK made me want to do that. And so the infinite backlog grows.

Link Man

Banned
For a brief moment when Ragyo was introduced and gave her speech about clothing being sin I hoped it might pan out into something more, but I confess that yeah, it never really did go anywhere.

.__.

.________________________________.

Guys, Corvo is turning into a Hidamari Sketch character.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 32

Blackwargreymon gives Steve Blum a chance to reaaaaaaally ham it up as a hilarious tragic villain

Articalys

Well, for whoever's gonna make the new thread, here's a plaintext version I made a few days ago of the Spring schedule, similar to the calendar on that randomc.net preview and using the same "Friday morning at 1:30AM becomes Thursday at 25:30 and so on" rule:
Sunday
-- Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou (Apr. 06 06:30)
-- Dragon Ball Kai (Apr. 06 09:00)
-- Haikyuu!! (Apr. 06 17:00)
-- Baby Steps (Apr. 06 17:30)
-- Gokukoku no Brynhildr (Apr. 06 22:00)
-- Love Live! S2 (Apr. 06 22:30)
-- Break Blade (Apr. 06 23:00)
-- One Week Friends. (Apr. 06 24:00)
-- Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (Apr. 06 24:30)

Monday
Puchimas S2 (Mar. 31 24:00) (short-form)
-- Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to (Apr. 07 25:05) (half-length episodes)
------ M3 ~Sono Kuroki Hagane~ (Apr. 21 25:35)

Tuesday
-- Mahou Shoujo Taisen (Apr. 08 21:55) (short-form)
-- Black Bullet (Apr. 08 22:30)
-- Soul Eater Not! (Apr. 08 25:40)

Wednesday
-- No Game No Life (Apr. 09 21:30)
-- Hitsugi no Chaika (Apr. 09 25:05)
-- Fuuun Ishin Dai Shougun (Apr. 09 25:35)

Thursday
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san (Apr. 03 25:00) (short-form)
Blade and Soul (Apr. 03 25:46)
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (Apr. 03 26:16)
Akuma no Riddle (Apr. 03 26:19)
selector infected WIXOSS (Apr. 03 26:49)
-- Atelier Escha & Logy (Apr. 10 22:00)
-- Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? (Apr. 10 22:30)
-- Ping Pong (Apr. 10 24:50)
-- Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin (Apr. 10 25:20)
-- Knights of Sidonia (Apr. 10 25:49)

Friday
Mushishi Zoku Shou (Apr. 04 24:00)
JoJo`s Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (Apr. 04 24:30)
-- Date A Live II (Apr. 11 25:35)

Saturday
Fairy Tail (Apr. 05 10:30)
Kindaichi Case Files R (Apr. 05 17:30)
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler (Apr. 05 18:30)
Seikoku no Dragonar (Apr. 05 20:30)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Apr. 05 24:30)
Kamigami no Asobi (Apr. 05 25:00)
La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky (Apr. 05 25:50)
Captain Earth (Apr. 05 25:58)
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii (Apr. 05 26:20)
-- Mekaku City Actors (Apr. 12 24:00)
Sorted by start order for each day, with shows starting in week 2+ following those starting earlier.
Admittedly, yes, this one is also missing most of the card-game-based kids shows, and one or two other series might have slipped through the cracks, but otherwise I think it's got most of the major stuff with their earliest airing times. Feel free to let me know if anything needs correcting or adding.

Once enough shows have a simulcast confirmed I guess that schedule can just replace it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom