• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Well, for whoever's gonna make the new thread, here's a plaintext version of the Spring schedule I made a few days ago, similar to the calendar on that randomc.net preview and using the same "Friday morning at 1:30AM becomes Thursday at 25:30 and so on" rule:

Sorted by start order for each day, with shows starting in week 2+ following those starting earlier.
Admittedly, yes, this one is also missing most of the card-game-based kids shows, and one or two other series might have slipped through the cracks, but otherwise I think it's got most of the major stuff with their earliest airing times. Feel free to let me know if anything needs correcting or adding.

Once enough shows have a simulcast confirmed I guess that schedule can just replace it though.
This is a post i'm bookmarking.

Very nice.

Thoraxes

man, backlog season for me confirmed

C'mon man, I need more people to watch shows like this with me.

Sōta Hatate, a new transfer student, has precognitive abilities that allow him to view the futures of those involved with him in the form of flags. He lives in a small dorm with many beautiful girls,[1] but when he sees a flag of death on himself; he learns that to change his fate, he has to assemble four people: a princess knight, a magician, a clergy, and a shinobi.

I can't be the only one.

Jarmel

Banned
Live and Learn > Sawano's work on KLK

Should have played this in the final battle. I'm stuck listening to it right now. :(

Kill la Kill 24
Went nowhere with the clothing metaphor but really developed the characters in the last third that gives a strong impact in the finale as well as a good score and general good fight scenes.
Really felt it when Gamagori almost died. I liked the little reference to gunmen when he grabbed the tower. There are A LOT of parallels to Gurren Lagann though. I was really surprised by the date but then I realized it wasn't really a date but more an outing with friends.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Currently my spring watch list is
JoJo

and wait for impressions

mushishi gotta wait for me to get round to the first season

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kill la Kill 24
Went nowhere with the clothing metaphor but really developed the characters in the last third that gives a strong impact in the finale as well as a good score and general good fight scenes.
Really felt it when Gamagori almost died. I liked the little reference to gunmen when he grabbed the tower. There are A LOT of parallels to Gurren Lagann though. I was really surprised by the date but then I realized it wasn't really a date but more an outing with friends.

Really, if anyone reads more into that
"date" you know they're just another bunch of delusional yuri shippers

Branduil

The problem with DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY is that it was the only decent "climactic" song the series had which meant they played it in every single big action scene.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
For a brief moment when Ragyo was introduced and gave her speech about clothing being sin I hoped it might pan out into something more, but I confess that yeah, it never really did go anywhere.

Not trying to defend KLK or anything, but I don't really feel like there was ever a particular metaphor in mind. Clothing was just a thematic object or a pervasive focal point; a common thread on which to build the world, base the powers, and define the struggles. If KLK ever tried to be "deep" about clothing, it was just a byproduct of the fact that it's integral to the conflict that everyone is embroiled in and so it's discussed in a way that's fairly absurd to anyone not in the show's universe. That said, the show did fail to play with, subvert, or discuss clothing as a concept or object in any clever way and was comfortable just being Yakov Smirnov with its "in Soviet Russia, clothes wear you!" idea repeated ad nauseum.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 33

I remember this is the first thing that ever taught me: a) Kyoto existed, b) it used to be the capital of Japan, c) it had heavy ass spiritual crazy bullshit

CorvoSol

Not trying to defend KLK or anything, but I don't really feel like there was ever a particular metaphor in mind. Clothing was just a thematic object or a pervasive focal point; a common thread on which to build the world, base the powers, and define the struggles. If KLK ever tried to be "deep" about clothing, it was just a byproduct of the fact that it's integral to the conflict that everyone is embroiled in and so it's discussed in a way that's fairly absurd to anyone not in the show's universe. That said, the show did fail to play with, subvert, or discuss clothing as a concept or object in any clever way and was comfortable just being Yakov Smirnov with its "in Soviet Russia, clothes wear you!" idea repeated ad nauseum.

In its defense, considering what I have seen today, KLK could've done a far less cohesive job with its ideas than it did.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 24
Next week eps should've good.. what this show does best is showing dynamic of various pitcher, especially with the main team not having surefire ace like usually other baseball show pull with their protag, its very refreshing take.

Kuroko's Basketball - 47

You know, the shit budget actually work for the more tactical and turn-based approach of this match, maybe the first game that actually elevate the source material in this 2nd season.

Also this match watch like this year Joakim Noah glorification with Kiyoshi playing exactly like him lol

MVP

madp

The Light of El Cantare
In its defense, considering what I have seen today, KLK could've done a far less cohesive job with its ideas than it did.

It did manage to insert clothing into everything, which I can sort of respect, even if it was probably to the show's detriment.

Phi Brain (S3) 75 -FIN-

My god. A Phi Brain finale that didn't completely disappoint me. I'm floored. This was actually really, really, really good.

Silky

Banned
Kill la Kill

Great concept, great characters, fun atmosphere, weak plot device, variable pacing. But I couldn't put it down. Definitely not my AOTY 2014, but I'd be a fucking liar if I said if it wasn't a ball. Defintiely in my top 50 animus.

Now to prepare my body for

JOTARO. FUCKING. KUJO.
tumblr_inline_n34iwk7j1e1rm1ohg.jpg

s3c1aEc.png

m'lady

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - 12 [END]

DaiX9XD.png
JdPSwyF.png

:sdburton

Meh, alright ending for a decent series. Dekomori and Nibutani are the true stars of the show, and should've received more focus on their relationship instead of Yuta and Rika's.

CorvoSol

Kill la Kill

Great concept, great characters, fun atmosphere, weak plot device, variable pacing. But I couldn't put it down. Definitely not my AOTY 2014, but I'd be a fucking liar if I said if it wasn't a ball. Defintiely in my top 50 animus.

Now to prepare my body for

JOTARO. FUCKING. KUJO.
tumblr_inline_n34iwk7j1e1rm1ohg.jpg

jMvaXbu.jpg

m'lady

DIO IS COMING BACK!?

This year just gets better and better.

Midonin

Chu2Koi Ren 12 + Final Thoughts

"It's gradual, but things are changing."

Will I let my affection for Maaya Uchida and more specifically, Maaya Uchida in delusional scenarios overtake my thoughts on this series?

Yes.

I'm satisfied with the second season. The Yuuta/Rikka/Satone plot (aka the Dark Flame Dragon) did have some odd elements, as pointed out by Seraphis Cain, but the emotional aspect of it dragged me in enough. I felt like the characters did change this season. Not necessarily in ways related to romance, but they had some changes in their chemistry. DekoSummer grew closer (the fake Mori Summer episode was one of the best), and Kumin became somewhat more defined, in addition her new habit of dreadful puns.

I liked Satone. Juri Nagatsuma got more work, and her idea of cosplaying as a magical girl endears her to me. Plus that laugh. The love triangle reached its highest and lowest point around episode 10, but it never felt too cloying. KyoAni's hand with these things is decent, at least. I liked the opening and ending themes, yet it's the character songs where this show shines. Shinka's in particular are really good, with Akasaki using her cutesy voice and her inner voice, now alternating between them, to great effect.

The conclusion of the Dark Flame Dragon was on shaky grounds, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entranced by the animation used for that part. When KyoAni's behind things, they can still look really good. Maybe it doesn't have as strong a throughline as the first season, but instead became more about a group of friends imagining better lives, just not in a depressing way. And I'm okay with that. Doubly so when Mayayan is involved.

DekoSummer really is the best pairing of the show - and Kumin apparently made it back into the novels. There is a third novel out, so the odds of a third season down the line aren't unlikely. And if it comes to pass, I'll gladly return. It's not the best thing KyoAni's ever done (for me, nothing can unseat K-ON! as a whole), but it's enjoyable.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Can anyone summarize the events of Chooney Boo Boo S2 to me in 100 words or less?

Nibutani and Dekomori's relationship was taken to the next level.

Oh, and some new girl arrived as a device to shaken up Yuta and Rikka's relationship
but in the end lost out as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom