• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Act 2 2

Okay so this was amazing in about ten million different ways.

It's remarkable what completely throwing away any pretense of plot, logic, or plausibility can do for a show like this.

Disk Wars: The Avengers 01

They got Tony so on point it was amazing. I'm not entirely sure how the DISKs work juuuuust yet, but apparently the next episode will cover it (I mean, with a title like
ALL HEROES EXTERMINATED?!
.)

I remember doing that for the fall

I only finished 2 shows (Kill La Kill & Log Horizon) and am currently working on catching up on 2 more (Phi Brain S3 and Gundam Build Fighters) the others I'll watch... eventually

Speaking of

Phi Brain S3 E9

I feel like I'd enjoy this more if the twist wasn't so damn obvious

Jin told Raestel to give up on puzzles because
unlike Kaito she doesn't really love puzzles, she just did them because her parents gave them to her, she did them for others and not for herself. He told her to give up on puzzles because she was attempting puzzles of fools for Jin just made things to dangerous for her and she wasn't trying to free them the way Jin/Kaito are

Enigma is
lying about working for Jin and is just using his name to manipulate the master brains and Raestel, though the fact he doesn't give a shit about Jin was bascially revealed this episode

Still I think the writing is good and the puzzles and characters still work really well.

Obvious ? Enigma motives were obvious since day one , but the reason why jin told that to ratsel is this season big mystery ... you're quite far from the truth.

Moonphase 15
Well its the end of that version of Hazuki returning to her lovable proud self. Kouhei is still largely an idiot.
Forgot about the :SDBurton character.

Moonphase 16
Crows are scum. And yay, Another fashion show with Hazuki. Also, staying perfectly still is a pretty amazing skill. Wonder how many of you guys can do that for about a minute

Gazoinks

Jojo's Odd Excursion 26 END (For noooooow)

And so it comes to a close until Friday.

So as a fan of the manga, they did a really nice job with the adaptation. It's a shame it was lacking in... what's it called? Oh right, animation, but the series did an excellent job of really capturing the feel and spirit of the manga, and enhancing it with its garish colors and great voice casting. Plus they made Phantom Blood much less boring! It's still not great, but it was a lot more fun to watch than read let me tell you. And Battle Tendency was as awesome as always.

Bring on Stardust Crusaders!

G Gundam - 3

Huh. This episode made me wonder something. How many dragon mecha are there in anime? It's kinda weird, I haven't seen a lot of them. The only three dragon mecha I know are the Dragon Gundam from this episode, and that one Dragon Mecha one of the villains piloted in Fairy Tail, and the Getter Robo Armageddon's Shin Dragon. (The ones in YuGiOH don't count)

Surely there has to be more dragon mecha than these three right? Like, they're freaking robot dragons. How can there not be more of these?

Crocodile

Blood-C: The Last Dark

Well that had to be one of the least cathartic movies I've ever seen :/ First of all, Saya had the personality of a brick. Like I don't think I could take much more of moe Saya but this version of Saya had no flair or energy to speak of. Like she was just going through the motions. Badass =/= no words & emotions. I LOLed at all the hacking nuthugging what between the loli who hacked with her hands AND feet at the same time and of course Saya's yuri "love interest/fangirl" who took a while to contribute anything to the movie. Most of the characters didn't really contribute much to the narrative at all I felt. What was the deal with the bad guy ninja dude who
accidentally (?) turns himself into an Elder Bairn ?
. What was the point of that? Plus Saya can't
kill humans
? That seems new, random, and a stupid moral code/hanidcap. When it was revealed that the
cripple guy she had been working for also betrayed her
, I had to laugh; she just has a penchant
for getting manipulated
. The finale battle looked pretty enough but it made NO SENSE, was SUPER SHORT, and was totally unsatisfying. The way
Fumihito finally bites the dust
is pretty pathetic. "Herp derp
I've always been in love with you for reasons that are never explained and don't make much sense
" - said WAY too many male antagonists to female protagonists for me to give a shit unless I feel it is at all genuine and logical. Finally, LOL at Yuka
only having two scenes in the movie and getting her wish

As to be expected for a movie with a respectable budget and talent behind it, the production values (animations, art, etc.) were all excellent though I can't say the music left much of an impression on me.

Final Rating: That's it?/10 or My Balls are Blue/10

kayos posted Kurumi (Date a Live) art with her clitoris fully visible, and people had to explain to him what it was.

Was really fucking funny.

Learning about this incident now and going back to that thread, the funny part isn't so much he wasn't aware of the euphemism "bean" but rather how he was oblivious to how the picture was objectionable for what seemed like an eternity :p

Nyanmaruz

Disk Wars: The Avengers 01

They got Tony so on point it was amazing. I'm not entirely sure how the DISKs work juuuuust yet, but apparently the next episode will cover it (I mean, with a title like
ALL HEROES EXTERMINATED?!
.)
Do you know if anyone is planning to sub this show? I don't have much hope for this, but overall how was the first episode?

cajunator

Banned

Well that had to be one of the least cathartic movies I've ever seen :/ First of all, Saya had the personality of a brick. Like I don't think I could take much more of moe Saya but this version of Saya had no flair or energy to speak of. Like she was just going through the motions. Badass =/= no words & emotions. I LOLed at all the hacking nuthugging what between the loli who hacked with her hands AND feet at the same time and of course Saya's yuri "love interest/fangirl" who took a while to contribute anything to the movie. Most of the characters didn't really contribute much to the narrative at all I felt. What was the deal with the bad guy ninja dude who
kill humans
? That seems new, random, and a stupid moral code/hanidcap. When it was revealed that the
for getting manipulated
. The finale battle looked pretty enough but it made NO SENSE, was SUPER SHORT, and was totally unsatisfying. The way
I've always been in love with you for reasons that are never explained and don't make much sense
" - said WAY too many male antagonists to female protagonists for me to give a shit unless I feel it is at all genuine and logical. Finally, LOL at Yuka

As to be expected for a movie with a respectable budget and talent behind it, the production values (animations, art, etc.) were all excellent though I can't say the music left much of an impression on me.

Learning about this incident now and going back to that thread, the funny part isn't so much he wasn't aware of the euphemism "bean" but rather how he was oblivious to how the picture was objectionable for what seemed like an eternity :p

Honestly I didnt see what was wrong for a while either. Its kind of subtle.

What's amazing is that he got away with it. If chickdigger had posted that, they'd have given him a public execution.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Along with animator, story boarder, va and theme tune singer.

Since I'm with a friend saying let's meet some random person off the internet wasn't likely to go through.

I'll leave a note in Akiba that says "ponpo is a silly sausage :emojiface"
RIP ponpo.

Branduil

kill humans
for getting manipulated

CLAMP really, really hates us.

CorvoSol

Hmmmm. When is this happening again?

kill humans
for getting manipulated

Blood-C: The Last Dark is CLAMP's final troll: you expect catharsis or closure but there is none to be had. So disappointed by that, because I actually enjoyed the TV show.

Andrew J.

G Gundam - 3

Huh. This episode made me wonder something. How many dragon mecha are there in anime? It's kinda weird, I haven't seen a lot of them. The only three dragon mecha I know are the Dragon Gundam from this episode, and that one Dragon Mecha one of the villains piloted in Fairy Tail, and the Getter Robo Armageddon's Shin Dragon. (The ones in YuGiOH don't count)

Surely there has to be more dragon mecha than these three right? Like, they're freaking robot dragons. How can there not be more of these?

The Shenlong/Altlong Gundam from Wing is basically a palette swap of the Dragon Gundam.

jman2050

G Gundam - 3

Only dragon mecha that matters

TPWaLkH.jpg

This toy was the shit back when I was 8 or around there

CorvoSol

The Shenlong/Altlong Gundam from Wing is basically a palette swap of the Dragon Gundam.

Most of the main Gundams in G correspond to main Gundams in Wing. The God Gundam to the Wing, the Dragon to the Shenlong/Altron, the Spiegel to the Death Scythe, the Maxter ish to the Heavy Arms ish, the Bolt to the Sandrock and of course the Master to the Epyon.

Especially Master and Epyon.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA 2

Lol. "Biff Standard".

So that's what Akihabara looked like before the moe revolution.

Episode was a bit more serious this time, simply by the fact that this time they were facing an actual threat planning on crashing the moon into Earth and bringing on a new world order where everything is standardized and the same. But then Washu went to work and pretty much ruined that chump. Still a pretty funny episode though. Their mom panicking and losing her mind over no karaoke and Mihoshi just being all "yeah I don't want none of this, you can handle it" was good.

Kuroko no Basket S2 25

Enjoyed Kuroko's moment there and Mura's waterworks.

Meteor Jam looked kinda weird until Kagami slammed the ball in.

Really want to say this season was great.

I really do.

But the animation just could not keep up until the end.

Positively enjoyed those matches with Shutoku and Kirisaki near the start, but everything after the beginning of the winter cup just felt so flat during most of the scenes.

Which is a real shame since those last two matches were really crucial. They could have been much more exciting if they actually gave a little more effort, instead of just on Zone.

7/10 Decent. I'll still be there for S3, even if I have to go through that awful flashback.

Crocodile

The Dragon Zord was the shit! :)

Great Mazinger 19

Well I'll be damned. I really never, ever expected an episode like this out of a show like this. People accuse old school mecha of being sexist, racist, rude, low-brow and crude at times. It can certainly be all of those things, no doubt, but today I want to present an episode to you that proves that of all things, Great Mazinger is actually capable of being much more than that.

z82R3L4.gif

So this episode focuses on Great Mazinger's heroine, Jun. Jun is already an impressive character for being a competent, useful female fighter in a mecha anime. Now, I've seen no shortage of female pilots in my time and they run the gamut, but Jun is impressive specifically because she won't accept that she's second to Tetsuya and Great Mazinger. Jun is always willing to put that extra mile to match Tetsuya, even though she's only somewhat better than Boss at times. Over the last nigh-20 episodes, Jun's been characterized as a fun-loving, competitive, compassionate girl.

This episode decides it's time to really push that limit and explore a facet of her character I really had not expected. Specifically, the episode decides to focus on Jun's race and to a lesser extent her sex.

ACE2a7L.gif

Our episode begins with Jun at a beauty salon, getting her hair done, and these two Japanese ladies prattling on about their complexions, and it isn't until the hag takes this particular dig that you really get what's happening: they're ragging on Jun for being black. And while Jun is a girl who has helped save the Earth numerous times, she still has feelings, and they're pretty clearly hurt. Specifically, Jun spends her time concerned that as a half-black orphan she's unmarriable and as a girl on top of that she feels pretty darn marginalized (ask yourself how many women you have seen in the Science Fortress Lab not named Jun up to this point. Answer: 0).

ibphvmlaAyJqXo.gif

Like, you always hear about how racist Japan is, but you don't often see it touched upon in anime, I think, and even more rarely do you really see it touched on in an old anime that was targeted primarily at kids and families. And they play this as far and as hard as they can in this episode. If the last 18 episodes meant anything for the audience's feelings toward Jun (and they certainly did for me!) then that's what Nagai and his team want as they really dig into you here.

i76WmWSu626ea.gif

s9Cip08.gif

ca5C8bE.png

Why yes, that's an emotionally damaged teenage girl scrubbing her skin until she bleeds to try to make herself whiter. And mind you, this isn't today where she'd at least have some recourse or something to make herself feel better. A black girl in 1970s Japan is just going to suffer, plain and simple, and nobody is going to give a damn. And it's left her a total wreck. Like, what those ladies have said to her have messed poor Jun up and opened pretty much the floodgates of emotions here.

She's so upset, in fact, that she tears up the only picture she has of her biological father. Kenzo Kabuto, her adoptive father, is seen here, holding it and feeling pretty crappy that there's nothing he can do to help his daughter.

oJqI4Z0.png

Of course, Jun isn't actually alone, and the episode makes a point of emphasizing that all of the good men in her life actually do care about her and don't look down on her because of her race. In fact, Tetsuya is so pissed off when he hears that that's why she's down in the dumps that he tries to Bright Slap her out of it.

QxeQnSy.png

That sort of dated method of snapping people out of funks aside, this here is the main character of an insanely popular 1970s Japanese television program telling people that racism is bad. Like, the romance between Tetsuya and Jun was already probably pushing the limits back then, but you really have to hand it to Nagai and his team for having the stones to come out and say this on TV. Like, this is the equivalent of all the stuff X-Men did back in the day.

Mind you, this isn't nearly over, and Jun's not snapping out of it because slapping someone in the face doesn't actually work all that often. She points out moments later to Shiro that there's more to this than just being a black orphan in Japan:

CCKQFFB.png

If Tomino had written this episode, this'd be the part where Jun'd betray the team, join the Emperor of Darkness in the hopes he'd make her a white man, not become a white man, and die needlessly hours later. Since I assume that Nagai, for all his fan-service, is still a better writer than Tomino could ever hope to be, that doesn't happen. What DOES happen is the Mycenae attack and Great Mazinger is sort of tied up by one and its up to Jun to fix it, but as she watches the flames as the city burns, she remembers what incredible douchebags the Japanese were to her, even as a kid, turns her back on their burning city, and leaves.

bi7LvAs.png

Like for reals, basically these people have emotionally tormented this girl since she was a kid, and she can't find it in herself to go and save them. Sickened and terrified, Jun runs away to Father O'Mecha's Church to pray to Jesus Yamato, who died for all Mechakind's sins, for strength. Now, I don't know how many of you are familiar with Mecha and Religion as a subject, but I've been around the block enough times to expect the worst any time a mecha show goes to a Church. Surprisingly, however, Father O'Mecha delivers a very powerful sermon to Jun. He points out to her that her actions are selfish, and that everyone needs her now. That God has granted her the strength to do what everyone who is like her cannot: to fight her oppressors, and stand as a symbol of hope for those who live in fear.

Boss comes in and pleads with Jun, telling her that no matter what was going on the team needed her, and it's really actually endearing. Like, Boss can be a HUGE creep sometimes, most of the time, really, but this one time he comes into this Church and he gets on his knees and he does everything he can to lift Jun's spirits and displays more heart than you'd expect from the guy who single-handedly invented Bulk and Skull.

OQknfk5.gif

Empowered by this revelation, that she can make a difference and help prevent and ease the suffering of others who suffer like she does, Jun mounts up in her robot, gets out there and saves the day. As in Jun, the half-black girl, not Tetsuya, the hot-blooded Japanese kid, goes out there, kicks the asses of the bad guys, and makes them admit that they lost because SHE came and SHE beat them. In a 1970s cartoon show.

The episode concludes with a romantic little sunset that Jun and Tetsuya are gazing out on. As it ignites the snow a fiery red, Professor Kabuto remarks that that burning red is the true color of all mankind, because it's the color of their souls.

CbAINoG.gif

So there it is, a positively marvelous and completely unexpected episode that is hard hitting on its message, delivers an incredible amount of character development--not for the protagonist, but the heroine--and sees her struggle with and overcome issues which were and are incredibly relevant to real people, all dressed up and framed around a conflict between giant robots and alien monsters. That's Mecha at its finest, and if the community will permit me to, that's really anime, television, and fiction at its finest right there. An engaging story with relateable, sympathetic characters framing a thought provoking message in the audience.

I just wanted to quote this post so others could be sure to see it (or see it again). To see such a realistic, relate-able issue handled with such tact in a show like this by Japan of all places and from a show FORTY years old warms my heart. Thanks for bring this to my attention CorvoSol :)

Sometimes when I'm on anitwitter this is how I feel.

4S0UeDJ.gif

ZZ Gundam why are you so much better than the rest of UC?

I WUT? Context?

fallagin

G Gundam - 3

Gundam Wing has one. Maybe modeled after the the one in G Gundam. I actually prefer it to the one in G Gundam quite a bit.

At any rate, G Gundam is a great anime, but it does drag on a bit at the beginning. Get prepared for awesome a little further into the series.

Sometimes when I'm on anitwitter this is how I feel.

4S0UeDJ.gif

ZZ Gundam why are you so much better than the rest of UC?

Not even once. ZZ is a giant mess of an anime. It starts off too kiddy and it ends in a way that feels like it is trying to compensate for the half assed beginning and thus becomes overly edgy.

Natsume Yuujinchou: Whole Series Review

I've been pushing off this series for a while now. Partially was because when I first put it into my list I was going on a romcom anime binge so the premise didn't sound too interesting. In fact around this point I also decided to largely ignore Mushishi, a very similar anime in terms of setting and execution. I'm glad I picked it back up as it was infinitely enjoyable in a very particular sense: tranquility. And not only tranquility, it managed to do this while keeping things interesting and having some amazing character interactions. Let's get down to it.

The Premise:
Natsume Yuujinchou stars the titular character Takashi Natsume and his bodyguard/tsundere bro Nyanko Sensei. The episode by episode basis of the seasons in general are in episodic form with the occasional 2-3 episode arc. These largely deal with Natsume and either helping or defending himself against youkai but may also include Natsume getting closer to his friends and family (whether it's youkai or human).The show revolves around the Book of Friends (hence the title), a book full of the name of youkai he can summon that he inherited from his badass grandmother which she collected in her youth. Unlike what others expect/want, Natsume decides against using this to his advantage and instead decides to return the names to the youkai that ask as a sign of goodwill. That's the premise. It's nothing groundbreaking, but how many amazing shows start with a standard premise but just absolutely kill it with the execution?

The Characters:

The show and episodes revolve around the two main characters with a recurring cast that takes turns appearing in episodes throughout the 4 seasons of the show. Natsume is the titular character and by far one of the best 'weak character that needs protection' variation that seems to be popular with anime. Natsume is a boy whose family died early in his childhood and he was taken to the household of many unwilling/occupied family members who found him weird until he found what I can only describe as top 5 best step parents in anime. Being able to see youkai throughout his whole life, he has been seen as a weird lying kid who got scared from invisible thing. Always bullied and always isolated from people, he never really learned to love and be close with people until he reaches the town in the beginning of the series where his heart slowly begins to open up. His character development throughout the main chronology and flashbacks is breathtaking and tear-jerking as you get to see what he has had to deal with all by himself throughout his life and how even then he's willing to let people and youkai into his heart. If being 'too nice' could possibly be considered a flaw, Natsume would be that character. Mr Kamiya absolutely sells his VA work with Natsume, giving us some of his most soft-spoken and emotional work. Is there anything this man can't do?

As the secondary lead we have Nyanko-sensei, aka Madara. Excuse my momentary weakness in manliness when I say that Nyanko-sensei in cat form is the most adorable piece of fat fluff I have ever seen in anime. His absolutely adorable voice acting, his cat mannerisms, the shape of his body, his tsundere attitude and just the huggability factor which rises exponentially with time, make him just amazing. I specify cat form because his real form is that of a badass fox/wolf-looking demon who absolutely wrecks shop. His character arc throughout the show is seeing him transform into Natsume's most treasured bro, which neither of them can admit since they're only in this 'due to business'.

Outside of those characters, we have a decently sizable cast of Youkai and humans who all encapsulate around Natsume's warmth. The youkai that end up being recurring characters range from hilarious to powerful, and the humans end up being the perfect examples of human beings which leads me to believe that Natsume moved into heaven. His school friends are great, his 'kindred soul' buddies all support and respect him in their own way, and I can't say enough about the parents. Seriously I can't. What love these two bring. They're a married couple who look to be into their 50's who treat Natsume as if he was their own child. The tears I've shed over the scenes of all of them getting closer are incredible, and don't even get me started on their flashback arc on how they meet Natsume because I'll just start bawling.

The Art:
First season began in 2008. The animation quality wasn't terribly amazing but it wasn't bad either. More like an above average. The soft-faces and the bright colors of the design of just about everything, not to mention all of the variations of youkai designs, more than made up for any negatives in this department though. As the seasons go on you start to notice some improvement as is expected from other works where experience breeds improvement. By the last season, the show is looking as great as it can. Hopefully more seasons get brought out, I'm looking forward to see how the show evolves.

Over-all Enjoyment:
Like I mentioned in the introduction, this show does two things absolutely perfectly: bring a sense of calm and make you have extreme emotions of happiness and sadness. Did you just have a shitty day? Watch an episode of this and just let the tranqulity of the OP, ED and episode itself soothe your pains. Natsume and Nyanko-sensei made this show as good as it was, but you have got to give props to the manga author for being able to come up with as many emotional arcs, even for just one-off episodes where you never see the characters again.

I feel like I need to show these next 4 images in a group because they represent the two arcs I was the most emotionally invested in/crying like a wuss, if you do decide to watch the show, keep these in mind and remember the day that Woofington cried like a bitch (pun intended).

I eagerly await a possible new season.

The entire series of Natsume Yuujinchou gets a 9.5/10
Woofdawg seal of approval.

jman2050

The toys were always too expensive for my parents to get. And of course there was always the One Kid you knew who had all the cool toys and such and he would be hot shit to the entire class.

At least I also had the One Friend who had the power ranger toys I would always play with when I came over to their house. Ah to be nine years old again...

CorvoSol

The Dragon Zord was the shit! :)

I just wanted to quote this post so others could be sure to see it (or see it again). To see such a realistic, relate-able issue handled with such tact in a show like this by Japan of all places and from a show FORTY years old warms my heart. Thanks for bring this to my attention CorvoSol :)

I WUT? Context?

So you know how in Zeta Gundam Kamille achieves Ultimate Pimp of the Universe status by being a Newtype whose special psychic power is girlomancy and lets him make every girl he comes in contact want his dick?

Well you see, after Zeta Gundam Tomino went insane, and this was a good thing. Because in ZZ it let him have fun with that concept. So Judau Ashta is irresistible to women but he doesn't really want any action. This is Chara Soon trying to force herself on him because Judau's mere presence drives her into the same crazy aroused state that battle does. It's batshit crazy and it's totally Tomino.

I'm just confused as to why there needs to be slang at all. Is it anything beyond people talking about anime on twitter? I think I may just be ill-informed.

No it's just what you think. Slang sometimes happens when it doesn't need to. Slang is a mysterious force like that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm just confused as to why there needs to be slang at all. Is it anything beyond people talking about anime on twitter? I think I may just be ill-informed.

It's just a common term that people use for the anime twitter community in general.

CorvoSol

What really blows me away the most, though, is that there is absolutely no reason to expect that episode to come out of Great Mazinger at all. Until that point Jun is just an ambiguously brown tomboy who is somewhat more useful than Boss and replacement for Sayaka. And then, out of nowhere, this episode characterizes her, develops said character, and does so in an incredibly well-written way. In a Super Robot show. For a female side character instead of the main character.

It just kind of comes out of nowhere and because your guard is lowered before this point its that much better.

How DTL does this get?

Not very. While there are 'effeminate' looking men (as expected in Shojo), Natsume included, there are two that I'm sure DTL and others would pair up with Natsume, but really they'll pair up any males in any show. Natsume blushes every now and then with many characters but that's more to him being awkward around others and not knowing how to react, not to say he doesn't act tough at times. The show has zero romance, though there are characters (female) that do seem to have feelings for Natsume.

I get very awkward/drop shows when it's constant in your face DTL, this has nothing.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 21

rYMNUewl.jpg

This was at least more interesting than making those PR Videos in the game. Never actually had Camera Man chase you down.

Droplet

Not very. While there are 'effeminate' looking men (as expected in Shojo), Natsume included, there are two that I'm sure DTL and others would pair up with Natsume, but really they'll pair up any males in any show. Natsume blushes every now and then with many characters but that's more to him being awkward around others and not knowing how to react, not to say he doesn't act tough at times. The show has zero romance, though there are characters (female) that do seem to have feelings for Natsume.

I get very awkward/drop shows when it's constant in your face DTL, this has nothing.

I know you're trying to defend this show and all, but the fact that you actually have to go out of your way to deflect claims like this is really sad. The casual homophobia that the anime fandom has is really off-putting sometimes and I wish people would think about the way they phrase their questions before asking them.

I watched guilty crown in the span of a few days. Dear god I think I need an intervention :s

Every fiber of my being was begging me to stop after eps6 but i just didn't listen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom