• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic TSR 03

Terrorists have captured 5 dignitaries working on peacetime negotiations and stored them in a tunnel. This guy is Joker levels of fucked up and tricky.
Like SERIOUSLY doesnt give a shit who lives or dies. Just wants the world to burn.

Gbraga

Eh, personally I thought the final OVAs were good despite the copout at the end.
Kirino and Kyousuke made such a sweet couple while it lasted that I could pretty much forgive anything. And the way it ended did feel more "realistic" than actually trying to pursue a brother-sister relationship for the rest of their lives, annoying though it was.

Anyway, my headcanon is that Kuroneko forgave Kyousuke for that heart-rending rejection eventually and the two of them ended up together. HAPPY END.

and then I married Kirino

That's a fine ending you have there.

About the OVAs though,
they did make a sweet couple, what bothered me is that the development was really lame, even Ayase's short arc that resulted in nothing felt more like a couple than that, they were just screaming, punching people and remembering their childhood in a way that made it even more lame, "I'll always love you, Onii-chan" my ass, it would be a lot cuter if they just found their way to each other and learned to love each other again, like it was always implied to be the case.

I'll agree that the way it ended felt realistic for such a forbidden love, and I actually thought it was very clever (though it makes me blush just to imagine how it's gonna be when they're around each other now >_<), but everything leading up to that was so stupid. I think it would be better if, instead of having a fucking fist fight between Manami and Kirino, they used the time to show more cute and awkward situations with them getting used to the idea of being a couple. I loved it when suddenly playing imouto eroge made them blush when it was so normal, I wanted more of this.

I guess it can't be helped though, it's not an anime original, after all, and I didn't read the novels to know if it's any better there.

I guess that's why I think it would be so much better as an eroge, even if you choose the same route, you can go all the way there instead of trying to make it "acceptable" to the audience and end up with a lot of lame stuff wasting time.

Shengar

Mushisi S2 - 01

That OP, soundtrack, and ED. Yep, this is Mushishi alright. The direction feels exactly the same as Season 1 and the Special Episode which is a good thing. Despite the very positive impression I got, the episode itself feels kinda weak, especially when compared to Mushishi S1 first season. Maybe it because the focuse of the episode is not on the mushi itself, but rather kouki which I presume will appear again and played important role in later episode.

DAIMIDALER: PRINCE VS. PENGUIN EMPIRE Episode 1: Fondle! Daimidaler Goes Into Action!
BkdIeexIcAAKhaw.jpg

I thought the episode would have been a much worst affair considering the broken suit exposed bewbies affair in the pre op section but somehow some moments were hilarious like the penguins tails. May keep watching just to see the other pursuits of the penguin empire, but kind of hoping they find a way to go around the hi-ero powerup scenes as it was pretty awkward to see and watch.

Gbraga

So, is Daimidaler a "wait for the blu-ray" show then?

I don't mind if they don't show anything, but censorship like in ImoCho looks like shit, that huge lock on screen sucks, they should have just changed the chastity belt to be able to air it instead of putting a gigantic censoring there.

Midonin

Daimidaler 01

I've said it in the past, but I like giant robots and am ambivalent towards military stories. This has made finding a new mecha series that I can really get into not easy, but with so many of them coming out, the genre should be picking up some variety. And so, Daimidaler. The hero's a pervert, the villains are deliberately goofy and it has an awesome theme song by Masaaki Endoh. ED's pretty catchy too.

When it comes to perverted stars, as long as they don't reach the level of Rogue Hero's Akatsuki, probably my least favorite main character in any anime, I'm okay with that. And Koichi is just petty enough and just enough of a huge dork that I don't think that'll be a problem any time soon. Kyoko's also a nice lead. The mecha design is clearly unfinished, but the mecha is a mere vehicle for lewd situations - and I'm okay with that! I liked the first episode, and am looking forward to more.

Macross 7 END
This was wonderfully cheesy. I love how wacky and absurd it gets, and there are some moments that are so Kawamori that I can't help but love them. It's a show about musicians piloting mechs with guitars and fighting space elf vampires with the power of music, yet even that doesn't encapsulate where it goes.
RIP Gigil, I will never forget your song.
Macross has typically been about a love triangle, but the romance in this isn't particularly important and remains pretty understated. Macross 7 has the best music and protagonist of the franchise, and Basara keeps the show entertaining despite the repetition of songs and use of stock footage. I can easily understand how someone could hate this if you aren't going in ready to embrace the camp and silliness, but I really enjoyed it.

Definitive Macross Series Ranking:

SDF > Seven > Plus > Frontier > Zero
Macross II isn't Macross.

cajunator

Banned
Macross 7 END
This was wonderfully cheesy. I love how wacky and absurd it gets, and there are some moments that are so Kawamori that I can't help but love them. It's a show about musicians piloting mechs with guitars and fighting space elf vampire with the power of music, yet even that doesn't encapsulate where it goes.
RIP Gigil, I will never forget your song.
Macross has typically been about a love triangle, but the romance in this isn't particularly important and remains pretty understated. Macross 7 has the best music and protagonist of the franchise, and Basara keeps the show entertaining despite the repetition of songs and use of stock footage. I can easily understand how someone could hate this if you aren't going in ready to embrace the camp and silliness, but I really enjoyed it.

Definitive Macross Series Ranking:

SDF > Seven > Plus > Frontier > Zero
Macross II isn't Macross.

That isnt Mylene is it?

Just googled it to know what it was about, went in expecting shit, but good lord.

GOOD LORD.

the only thing that matters is if you've got enoiugh money to buy all the thing your favorite idol did.

Unless you got the AKB route and then you have to buy EVERYTHING

EVERYTHING

Gbraga

the only thing that matters is if you've got enoiugh money to buy all the thing your favorite idol did.

Unless you got the AKB route and then you have to buy EVERYTHING

EVERYTHING

Shit, just went to tumblr, now I'm doing weird noises at work.

They're all so cute!

duckroll

http://imas-cinderella.com/

2015 Winter TV anime for Idolmaster Cinderella Girls.

Director: Noriko Takao
Series Composition: Noriko Takao, Tatsuya Takahashi
Character Design: Yusuke Matsuo
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

Noriko Takao was the main unit director for Idolmaster TV and the movie, and the director for Saint Young Men. The biggest absence in staff here would be the Atsushi Nishigori and Touko Machida. The former is a weird thing, since he's been so involved in designing and directing the Idolmaster anime so far. The latter is a great thing because she's the new melodrama queen and I'm glad she's not leading the writing here. She didn't write the movie either, and I hear it's great!

cajunator

Banned
Cinderella Girls anime incoming next year, apparently. Lord help the wallets of 2D Idol fanboys...

Oh. Oh shit. Ive been saving tweets of the girls from this for a long time. SO many cuties.

http://imas-cinderella.com/

2015 Winter TV anime for Idolmaster Cinderella Girls.

Director: Noriko Takao
Series Composition: Noriko Takao, Tatsuya Takahashi
Character Design: Yusuke Matsuo
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

Noriko Takao was the main unit director for Idolmaster TV and the movie, and the director for Saint Young Men. The biggest absence in staff here would be the Atsushi Nishigori and Touko Machida. The former is a weird thing, since he's been so involved in designing and directing the Idolmaster anime so far. The latter is a great thing because she's the new melodrama queen and I'm glad she's not leading the writing here. She didn't write the movie either, and I hear it's great!

Shall we setup factions again? I will end up the lone supporter of some girl I just know it lol.

sonicmj1

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda

What a weird series. It's hard to really write about.

This wasn't even on my radar when the series started, and I still had pretty low expectations after the first episode. I even came close to dropping it a few times because I wasn't sure how much I was enjoying it. But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did.

I guess I expected a show about a high school boy roped in to helping a little girl in her plan for world domination to turn towards weird fanservice and stuff, but it never really went that way outside of some revealing supervillain outfits. Instead, it kept me constantly off-guard with a mix of off-beat humor and satire, utterly absurd situations, and some of the best action this season.

I guess it didn't end in a really exciting way (when the final battle wasn't capping off Asuta's character development it seemed like a joke), but I was surprised by the highs it hit in terms of humor and action. Between the smoking episode, the Ando-directed episode 8, and one of the most original takes on a hot springs episode I've yet to see, I'll definitely remember this show for a while.

Mushishi 21
Interesting episode.
The ending was kind of weird with the living fluid fungi mushi and Ginko not put it to its end

Jex

I honestly didn't have any issues with this as I just figured it was some good ol' fashioned narrative manipulation.
Yeah, just assumed it was Satsuki's profile as Ryuuko had made her mind up already about who killed her father.

You know that all sounds logical, but consider this -

Upon closer inspection, Dr. Matoi didn't invent the scissor blade at all, according to the first part of the series. I'm not sure who invented it, or for what purpose, but it wasn't him. The only thing he invented was the Kamui, which he created to thwart the ambitions of the Kiryuins. The scissor blade was a weapon that belonged to his killer, and Ryuko took half of the scissor blade to help track down it's original owner. This is stated multiple times in the first arc of the show.

However later it's retconned so that Dr. Matoi invented the Scissor Blade to cut life fibres AND the Kamui as well. It all gets a bit convoluted.

Please don't make me dig up the screen caps to prove this, I'm too lazy. Just accept it as gospel truth!

duckroll

I don't think it's a retcon honestly. We know that Ryuko had no idea what she was doing or any of the facts. That's what drives most of the series. It's deliberate deception for the audience because the narrative is uninformed. That doesn't make the show better or the writing any good, but it's an important distinction. I don't think anything really changed, just that it was just meant to be misleading from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom