• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is Universe after the OVA series? Wouldn't mind watching that alongside Pretty Sammy. Also just so I know now, which is the point where the show completely falls off a cliff? Was it GXP?
OVA and Universe are in entirely separate continuities, just like the two Sammy series.

You'll never get a satisfying animated conclusion to the original OVA. They made a continuation a decade after the first run finished, but they forgot what they were doing, lost that ability I mentioned to develop and be funny in each ep, and spent much of its time tying shit to GXP(which was shit) that at the last ep it goes into panic mode "OH WAIT ALL THOSE LOOSE ENDS". It's thoroughly disappointing and pretty much any Tenchi fan will say not to even bother.

HOWEVER, there is a manga series that picks up where the original OVA left off that's rather good.

Universe made some world and character adjustments and lacks the production quality of the OVA, but it's not bad overall. The first and third movies are sequels to this continuity and provide it with an ending. The first film is definitely worth watching.

The second movie is a sidestory with hybrid TV/OVA continuity. Really though, the best part about it is the Kou Otani soundtrack.

The second TV series, Shin Tenchi Muyo aka Tenchi in Tokyo, is yet another continuity. It's fun if you can accept how stupid it can be.

Tenchi Muyo GXP takes place in the OVA continuity, but it's shit.

fairy tail new

new animation team, slighty different faces, lucy has more boobs, show still looks budgeted as fuck.

Blade and soul 1

its like the other boobie fighting animes but not as lewd... so whats the point?

WIXOSS 1

kinda k-on looking people playing card games? seems like it tries to be serious... but just seems crappy.

Link Man

Banned
So, I didn't bother doing a review for Kyousougiga 6 & 7, but I did want to mention that there's this scene near the end of 7 where Koto is crying, and the voice acting is amazing. Made me damn near want to cry.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver-17
ibadAgDnObSgtk.jpg
iuyfwhGS7Fy4d.jpg

RPUkT.gif

Great sakuga cut with Tau missile. I guess they do explain the Red powerup, apparently Takuto got a powerup too when everybody else went to 3rd Phase. Jesus his mech is broken.

iXtQdnaiAXShD.gif

This show really is phenomenal on a sakuga level. A MAD would have to be like an hour long to capture all the scenes.

Haibane Renmei 13 [END] (Branduil Challenge Complete)

And here I thought this story was all about Rakka when in truth it was all about Reki.

The end was pretty good and so was the anime. Not amazing but pretty good overall. Animation and art style was unique and eye catching. Story was slow but deliberately so which made the entire thing well paced actually. It is certainly interesting and can see why Angel Beats is compared to it. They are fundamentally different stories and anime but I can see why someone would compare them as they do share some very specific concepts.

Everything all around was a solid effort and it held my interest for reasons I cannot explain. Even looking back on the story I can't put my finger on why every episode I started I would be in a trance. There's nothing I can really fault it on except that I wasn't completely enamored with it. Never got the feels though. I wasn't expecting it. There were some scenes, especially at the end, that got me close to having them.

As for the characters themselves they were a bit of a hit or miss. I was far more interested in the Toga and how they affected the Haibane.

Last episode kind of went a little out there even though most of the anime worked pretty hard to ground the show into some logic. It was needed though for it to have the ending and symbolism it needed. So I'll give it a pass on that. All in all it wasn't that bad. *shrugs*

I usually give a numbered score at the end but I am not gonna do that this time. One, because I am still processing the show and not sure where the show falls. Two, I don't want the fans all over me about a number even though my unfiltered thoughts on the show are above. I will say that this anime won't hold everyone's interest. I think it appeals to a very specific anime viewing audience.

Have you read the LN.

Nope I've read the manga, which is moving slowly. I refuse to read LN's because my whole whole experience with anime/manga is to see what's going on. If I have to read those complicated ass names and brother complex in novel form I'll lose my shit

In the manga it hasn't gone terribly far but he's as OP as they come and I fucking love it. He gets all the bitches.

Tatsuya is love. Tatsuya is life.

Super Sonico 12
A music filled finale. Well I put this one off for a bit but now I'm done with this series. Overall, it was a cute but pretty generic story. Some interesting points but overall not really interesting. I give the series a 4/10

Nope I've read the manga, which is moving slowly. I refuse to read LN's because my whole whole experience with anime/manga is to see what's going on. If I have to read those complicated ass names and brother complex in novel form I'll lose my shit

In the manga it hasn't gone terribly far but he's as OP as they come and I fucking love it. He gets all the bitches.

Tatsuya is love. Tatsuya is life.

How high would you rate it, from what you read so far like 1-10.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco - 07

I have no idea where they're going with this.

I finished the show and I still don't know!

Galaxy Express 999 10

Second half of the two-parter, but it was really its own story using a character introduced in the first half. It was pretty good.
Given the context of Japanese work culture, it was interesting seeing an episode about the pain overwork (due to poorness in this case) can cause. Also loneliness and crazy people! But at least they have a pretty planet.

Tetsuro is only 10 but he gets all the ladays.

So why was Hanako's skin purple.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
selector infected WIXOSS - 01
...so this is going to get dark isn't it.

EDIT: Can someone recommend me a series with a scene that frames the immensity of something's size by tricking you into thinking its flying through the sky up until the point you see it go behind the moon instead of over it. I know it's oddly specific but I had a dream of watching and enjoying an anime like that but I can't remember. I think something similar happened in one of the Tenchi series but that's not the one that I seem to be remembering.

Noragami Episode 9

Yukine redeemed, what a great episode though and that end was a nice feeling good moment with everybody together. So far every character is enjoyable from my experience.

Jex

Of course, by that logic you could say practically nothing about Part 3 should be considered spoilers, since many of the most memetic moments of it that everyone and their mother has heard of (including the one referenced in the title of said series OT) are from the very endgame =p

(But yeah, spoiling Stands does seem a bit pointless and I have no idea how Corvo managed to go in knowing nothing about them. That's actually pretty impressive.)

Hey everyone and their mother were openly talking about
Dio
like it wasn't a spoiler!
Just don't spoil the stand abilities. Usually those are a reveal.
This is very true.

CorvoSol

I don't think the lead being OP HAS to be bad if it's handled correctly. Like Lina Inverse was hilariously broken from the get-go, but the show still found a way to keep it interesting. Especially in NEXT where the bad guys wanted to abuse the fact that she was OP.

cajunator

Banned
fill me with your delicious pig bacon wimpy mc
M5DDWA2.jpg

This originally got me to watch it. KYH took care of the rest.

And here I thought this story was all about Rakka when in truth it was all about Reki.

The end was pretty good and so was the anime. Not amazing but pretty good overall. Animation and art style was unique and eye catching. Story was slow but deliberately so which made the entire thing well paced actually. It is certainly interesting and can see why Angel Beats is compared to it. They are fundamentally different stories and anime but I can see why someone would compare them as they do share some very specific concepts.

Everything all around was a solid effort and it held my interest for reasons I cannot explain. Even looking back on the story I can't put my finger on why every episode I started I would be in a trance. There's nothing I can really fault it on except that I wasn't completely enamored with it. Never got the feels though. I wasn't expecting it. There were some scenes, especially at the end, that got me close to having them.

As for the characters themselves they were a bit of a hit or miss. I was far more interested in the Toga and how they affected the Haibane.

Last episode kind of went a little out there even though most of the anime worked pretty hard to ground the show into some logic. It was needed though for it to have the ending and symbolism it needed. So I'll give it a pass on that. All in all it wasn't that bad. *shrugs*

I usually give a numbered score at the end but I am not gonna do that this time. One, because I am still processing the show and not sure where the show falls. Two, I don't want the fans all over me about a number even though my unfiltered thoughts on the show are above. I will say that this anime won't hold everyone's interest. I think it appeals to a very specific anime viewing audience.

I love this show sooo much. It holds up well to multiple viewings and you notice little things each time. It gives me a very pleasant feeling when I watch it. Particularly the ending which is quite an optimistic way to do it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

The show is an interesting addition to the "slice of death" genre and is so laid back with its style that I found myself left with a lot to think about at the end as well. I've gone through the series three times over the years and have not really found the answers but have become more comfortable with not knowing each time through. It feels like a work that really takes pride in not telling the viewer answers about the world it builds but somehow is confident in it to the point you feel like you, the viewer can look into the daily lives of these folks without being hung up on the greater mysteries of their reality that governs them.

Jex

I would love to know what happened in the writing room. Since we'll never find out, it's best to let it go and just say that it was poorly written and Nakashima should have known better.

There are a lot of faults with KLK and they should be laid at the feet of Imaishi and Nakashima.

Wellllll, in the original interviews they made it clear that the writing would be more Nakashima than Imaishi and that it wouldn't go in a "Gurren Lagann" type direction. Then, of course, it did!
I haven't seen any of the promo material and I avoid the JoJo's OP because I know I'd get spoiled on something. Everything I know about JoJo I know from what I saw on the show and that's it. I am as unaware of JoJo stuff as someone who watches the show can be. I didn't even know there was an OVA series covering the show until after I'd finished Battle Tendency. I dunno what to say other than that I don't follow anime closely enough to have ever heard of JoJo's until last month.

Well, the more you know! There were lots of actual major story spoilers that have already been discussed openly because they're so well known, or so I've been informed!

I love this show sooo much. It holds up well to multiple viewings and you notice little things each time. It gives me a very pleasant feeling when I watch it. Particularly the ending which is quite an optimistic way to do it.

Oh no.

I don't ever plan on re-watching this. Don't get me wrong it was interesting enough, but... One, I have a massive backlog. Not just of anime but games, tv, movies.. you get the idea. Two, very few anime get the re-watch treatment and I was not enamored with the show enough to make me re-watch it again. It was an interesting one way trip.

cajunator

Banned
Oh no.

I don't ever plan on re-watching this. Don't get me wrong it was interesting enough, but... One, I have a massive backlog. Not just of anime but games, tv, movies.. you get the idea. Two, very few anime get the re-watch treatment and I was not enamored with the show enough to make me re-watch it again. It was an interesting one way trip.

I know you wont but Im saying it generally does.

Anybody recommend anything to watch on Fridays? Was watching Strike the Blood, but that's over now. Also when will the Spring thread be up?

I understand being annoyed about getting Dio spoiled since he's connected to a previous part, unlike Stands. Of course it's not exactly an easy spoiler to dodge considering how widespread it is.

It's why we always spoiler tagged his name in the old thread when talking about part 3. Some people want to go in blind and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, there's also an old but popular fighting game based on Stardust Crusaders. GIFs of Dio pummeling a steamroller are from it. There's also the more recent Jojo All Star Battle game.

When you're in society you're going to be exposed to what society throws around.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JoJo Part 3's legacy is felt far and wide in Japanese visual media.

A few of the big ones:
- Avatars representing a characters psychic/spiritual power more or less originated from JoJo
- Guile is inspired by Polnareff
- CLAMP got their feet wet writing doujins for JoJo Part 3

We have JoJo to thank for CLAMP. Let that sink in.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver 19-

ibkhjkaLiH3myn.gif

Into my veins

This duo job even when they pretty much won. The Pile Driver Booster sequence was just as good as I remembered it. Holy shit. Nobody does aerial battles as well as BONES does. All dat dynamic camera work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom