• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nagi no Asukara 26 (End)

SQUOx9G.jpg

That was a nice ride but the ending really didnt feel satisfactory. Things just wrapped up rather quickly and conveniently I thought. I'm glad we got a nice happy ending but I wish the lead up was a little better.

Overall I thought the series was solid and one of my favorites. The time skip in the middle was the highlight of the series and the few episodes afterwards were absolutely amazing. Then nothing really happened and the show ended which felt a little deflating. Pacing problems suck.

But damn. The art is absolutely gorgeous. Even the boring episodes had such eye candy you couldnt help but keep yourself glued to the screen. The music was just as lovely.

I'm really gonna miss this show and miss the Sea God being an idiot and Manaka and Akira being ridiculously cute. Totally a 9/10. While story pacing could have been better, the art and music bumps it up a few points.

DiGiKerot

Kill la Kill presents itself so much as a pastiche of 60s-70s Japanese comic book serials right up front that I honestly find it hard to get too bothered about narrative inconsistencies, because it goes with the territory.

Sooooo many cuties. Im going to die.
All I want~
All I neeeeed~

Well i have the perfect answer to that :

And it's the perfect transition to talk about :

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - OVA

That i just watched.

it was an alright oav , but it was a little short .

Benio DA BEST , and mashiro is in close second ..so when the 2 are running alone in the forest at night , i like ... Nothing else to add , if you liked the tv series , then you're right at home , with a limited cast because they had limited time.

Gbraga

With so many girls, I bet my favorite girl won't get enough screen time. I can just see that already.

Well i have the perfect answer to that :

And it's the perfect transition to talk about :

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - OVA

That i just watched.

it was an alright oav , but it was a little short .

Benio DA BEST , and mashiro is in close second ..so when the 2 are running alone in the forest at night , i like ... Nothing else to add , if you liked the tv series , then you're right at home , with a limited cast because they had limited time.

I'm gonna watch this today, can't wait for that Benio body

HHHHHHHGNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I hope she washes Kobeni's back, and then say "let me wash the rest too"

BUT NEE-SAMA, THAT'S EMBARRASSING, I CAN WASH IT MYSELF

"Ko-be-ni, leave it to your nee-sama"

awwwwwww shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Jex

I don't think it's a retcon honestly. We know that Ryuko had no idea what she was doing or any of the facts. That's what drives most of the series. It's deliberate deception for the audience because the narrative is uninformed. That doesn't make the show better or the writing any good, but it's an important distinction. I don't think anything really changed, just that it was just meant to be misleading from the start.

I think you're actually right. It was just weird that even though Aikurō knew and worked with Dr Matoi and knew all about the Kamui he still didn't know about the Scissors, but I think that's perfectly explainable. It's just that, as I've come across many genuine plot problems, I'm miss-attributing normal writing patterns as retconning due to being pre-geared to look out for plot problems.
Can anyone recommend a completely unpredictable anime with actual shocking twists? They seem to be quite rare.

LOGH.

(This is a joke).

Jex

Kill la Kill presents itself so much as a pastiche of 60s-70s Japanese comic book serials right up front that I honestly find it hard to get too bothered about narrative inconsistencies, because it goes with the territory.
To be quite honest, I've only been checking because a certain-someone claimed that SamFlam was bad because it was "made up as it went along" but Kill la Kill was clearly "planned from the start".

DiGiKerot

To be quite honest, I've only been checking because a certain-someone claimed that SamFlam was bad because it was "made up as it went along" but Kill la Kill was clearly "planned from the start".

I personally rather suspect that they were both planned from the start to feel like they were made up as they go along, but that may be giving people too much credit.

Gbraga

I tend to agree that Nudist Beach initially had a much larger role.

I can't believe they planned to give all the shit that happens in the last episode the same amount of time they gave to fucking boxing club or tennis club. It makes no sense.

They probably just saw that people thought it sucked and was really fucking boring and then decided to go insane with the second half.

And in my opinion it was worth it. Disliked the last episode
(aside from short hair Satsuki)
, but other than that, the second half was pretty godlike.

Link Man

Banned
You know that all sounds logical, but consider this -

Upon closer inspection, Dr. Matoi didn't invent the scissor blade at all, according to the first part of the series. I'm not sure who invented it, or for what purpose, but it wasn't him. The only thing he invented was the Kamui, which he created to thwart the ambitions of the Kiryuins. The scissor blade was a weapon that belonged to his killer, and Ryuko took half of the scissor blade to help track down it's original owner. This is stated multiple times in the first arc of the show.

However later it's retconned so that Dr. Matoi invented the Scissor Blade to cut life fibres AND the Kamui as well. It all gets a bit convoluted.

Please don't make me dig up the screen caps to prove this, I'm too lazy. Just accept it as gospel truth!
Didn't somebody say that the scissor blades were used by the Kiryuins in tailoring life fiber clothing?

Crocodile

I think what that individual was trying to express, but perhaps clumsily, was that Samurai Flamenco destroyed any Suspension of Disbelief - compared to the world the show is initially set in and the very haphazard way it moves between arcs and escalates it all just feels very disjointed. You kind of want to call "bullshit" very frequently. Kill la Kill has narrative and writing issues but the way plot proceeds makes sense within the context of the world it has set up and inhabits.

duckroll

For a 24 episode series, I don't think it's realistic at all to think that anything of importance was really changed as a reaction to viewers at all. While production of episodes runs down to the wire most of the time towards the end, pre-production is generally completed substantially in advance. This means scripts and storyboards would be finished long before there is any time to get any sort of feedback on how audiences feel about specific plot points.

Often when people think stuff is re-written because of feedback, the reality is just poor writing and planning.

Jex

I personally rather suspect that they were both planned from the start to feel like they were made up as they go along, but that may be giving people too much credit.

I can't really give either set of staff that much credit, but especially Imaishi because, well, why would you give him the befit of the doubt!

Jarmel

Banned
For a 24 episode series, I don't think it's realistic at all to think that anything of importance was really changed as a reaction to viewers at all. While production of episodes runs down to the wire most of the time towards the end, pre-production is generally completed substantially in advance. This means scripts and storyboards would be finished long before there is any time to get any sort of feedback on how audiences feel about specific plot points.

Often when people think stuff is re-written because of feedback, the reality is just poor writing and planning.

Well this is Trigger, so I'm not sure how far in advance the later stuff was done. I'm actually more inclined to believe that SF was preplanned than KLK is.

Jex

For the record, I don't think anything was re-written as a reaction to audience feedback. I think they changed their minds as they were making it (not like, in the middle of the series or anything) and that ended up shifting the focus of the story.

LOGH.

(This is a joke).

LOGH kinda has one of my favourite twists in anime ( not really a "plot" twist though)
Lang's anonymous payments to charities and welfare institutes ever since he became a junior bureaucrat. Thoughout the anime he's portrayed as a pathetic power hungry individual so this was quite the surprise.
Samurai Flamenco
There's seems to be quite a mixed opinion of this show but i'll still check it out.
Hamatora

Code:breaker (though more to the manga since its way long).
Thanks. Will check these out although i've heard not so great things about Code:breaker.

Dead

well not really...yet
kill la kill sounds like it ended as a complete disasterfuck. Havent watched it since episode 10, dont even think I want to finish it now lol

duckroll

Well this is Trigger, so I'm not sure how far in advance the later stuff was done. I'm actually more inclined to believe that SF was preplanned than KLK is.

All the scripts were written before it even aired. Storyboard for any given episode were completed several months in advance before those episodes aired.

Jarmel

Banned
All the scripts were written before it even aired. Storyboard for any given episode were completed several months in advance before those episodes aired.

Then someone really fucked up then. I was trying to give Nakashima the benefit of the doubt.

I knew they were somewhat ahead for the earlier episodes(we were getting tweets about ep 7? being worked on in the spring) but I wasn't sure about the later ones.

duckroll

Then someone really fucked up then. I was trying to give Nakashima the benefit of the doubt.

Why would you give the benefit of the doubt to the two people who were hyping up the series as "something even more hot blooded than Gurren Lagann" when they announced it? :p

wsippel

Banned
So I started watching Monogatari yesterday and immediately got hooked. Already watched all of Bake and most of Nise, and it's truly Nisioisin and Shaft as fuck. Love it. The infamous toothbrush scene was a bit too much, but the almost equally infamous bath scene with Araragi and Shinobu was just amazing. It came completely out of nowhere, but the way the two interacted was awesome and unexpected, acting like master/servant (but inverted), lovers, mortal enemies and best buddies at the same time. And I absolutely love Kanbaru. She'll apparently have a bigger role in +α?

Ryuuroden

Nagi no Asukara 26 (End)

That was a nice ride but the ending really didnt feel satisfactory. Things just wrapped up rather quickly and conveniently I thought. I'm glad we got a nice happy ending but I wish the lead up was a little better.

Overall I thought the series was solid and one of my favorites. The time skip in the middle was the highlight of the series and the few episodes afterwards were absolutely amazing. Then nothing really happened and the show ended which felt a little deflating. Pacing problems suck.

But damn. The art is absolutely gorgeous. Even the boring episodes had such eye candy you couldnt help but keep yourself glued to the screen. The music was just as lovely.

I'm really gonna miss this show and miss the Sea God being an idiot and Manaka and Akira being ridiculously cute. Totally a 9/10. While story pacing could have been better, the art and music bumps it up a few points.

I think PA Works is really solidifying its spot as an excellent original anime storyteller. Being able to do that makes it a top 3 studio IMO even if it doesn't put out the numbers other studio's put out, most all its shows have been very very solid. (My top 3 atm are Kyoani, PA Works, and Bones in no order, and Shaft in a close 4th.)

Jex

Why would you give the benefit of the doubt to the two people who were hyping up the series as "something even more hot blooded than Gurren Lagann" when they announced it? :p

They said a lot of stuff and things. To quote duckroll earlier:

The main difference for this show seems to be that their structure is a lot less fluid. They said that for GL, they had a clear outline from the start which they stuck to until the end. Obviously they felt it was an ambitious structure they wanted to stick with, so even when the second half started to drag, it was probably too late for them to change anything.

With Kill la Kill they say that Nakashima is a lot less rigid with the overall series structure and they're taking it one episode at a time. As they write, there are ideas from the other staff and if it's cool they fit it in. If they change their minds about stuff later, they can also easily introduce new ideas as they surface. That could help a lot.

Gbraga

The toothbrush scene is from the Monogatari series? I know what I'm watching after JoJo.

I'm actually hoping I dislike most of Spring so I can keep working on my backlog. This last season was too crazy.

Though I'll definitely watch all the cute girls shows so I can participate in the best girl debates.

Unintentional or is it meant to be over-the-top wackiness?

Oh, it's definitely intentional. You'll see when you watch it.

Midonin

Dragonar Academy 01

Of the premieres I've seen so far, this one had the most exposition. Establishing all the terminology of the world and the factions... and a rather bloody beginning, too. I know I've seen stories like this before - there's shades of Zero no Tsukaima and Machine Doll in here - but I'll wait until episode two or three before really making a call on what I think of it. Once the world building is out of the way and the characters have some breathing room, then the show's real intentions can come out.

I like the OP and ED. Good work by the voice actresses and Yui Sakakibara. Anything sung by her is going to be associated with eroge, and given all the boing going on with Rebecca, that may not be very far off. Odd watching this after Fairy Tail last night, which had a rather different idea of what a dragon festival was. Not bad, and as far as the MF Bunko Five go, a much more solid start than Magical Warfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom