• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yo where da bird at?
ikn3NjLbBOoHL.gif

Nichijou 21

Note to self: only watch while drinking. That whole Mio scene with those guys in the blimp would have annoyed me otherwise, but this way my attention just went in and out and in and out and in and out.

The guys in the blimp is some of the worst bits in Nichijou.

Kiniro Mosaic 1

Cuteness...levels...too...much...

I think I might actually have diabetes now.

A show worth getting diabetes from.

Yo where da bird at?

Hopefully...

WzdIlsC.jpg

Hunter x Hunter 121

Caught up now and man, this is a loooooooooooooong battle. I hope they get to the actual important fights soon. I also hope the narrator shuts up. You don't need to take 5 minutes to explain this shit.
Actually yes you need to. Narrator is a necessary part for this arc. Having read the manga , i actually expected the narrator and i couldn't imagine this arc without one. There is just too much going on at once .If you don't have a reminder for the why and the how, the entire arc become a series of badly written and badly used plot devices + power levels when it's actually not. When you have so many events that without fillers you need 6 episodes to cover 5 minutes events , there is no question you need a narrator.

Kiniro Mosaic 1

Cuteness...levels...too...much...

I think I might actually have diabetes now.
You haven't seen anything

"Hello ? hello !!"
http://otakomu.jp/archives/75512.html

Log Horizon S2 confirmed! Starts up again in Fall 2014.

OH MY GOOOOOOOD
If they annonce that now that means they 'll have to adapt all the stuff left + 1 more book meaning ..... akatsuki arcccccccccccccccccccccccccc

yyyyyeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss

Best news to wake up with.

New mecha show announced: Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen. Airing Summer 2014.

http://www.argevollen.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpHFaKdNJU

Director: Atsushi Ootsuki (Working!! S2, TLRD)
Series Composition: Tatsuo Sato (Martian Successor Nadesico, Bodacious Space Pirates)
Character Design: Yuichi Ouka (To Love Ru series)
Mechanical Design: Hirame Kikuchi, Kenji Teraoka (Code Geass, Valvrave, Gundam 00, many, many more)
Setting and Research: Shigeru Morita (Code Geass, Gundam Seed)
Music: Kotaro Nakagawa (Code Geass)
OP artist: KOTOKO
ED artist: Sachika Misawa
Animation Production: XEBEC

Announced cast:
Ryota Ohsaka
Saori Onishi
Hiroshi Tsuchida
Sayaka Ohara

I wish we could keep the Aldnoah Zero character designs and swap those mech designs with this one.

Oh well mecha summer and fall will be amazing.

Andrew J.

New mecha show announced: Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen. Airing Summer 2014.

http://www.argevollen.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpHFaKdNJU

Director: Atsushi Ootsuki (Working!! S2, TLRD)
Series Composition: Tatsuo Sato (Martian Successor Nadesico, Bodacious Space Pirates)
Character Design: Yuichi Ouka (To Love Ru series)
Mechanical Design: Hirame Kikuchi, Kenji Teraoka (Code Geass, Valvrave, Gundam 00, many, many more)
Setting and Research: Shigeru Morita (Code Geass, Gundam Seed)
Music: Kotaro Nakagawa (Code Geass)
OP artist: KOTOKO
ED artist: Sachika Misawa
Animation Production: XEBEC

Announced cast:
Ryota Ohsaka
Saori Onishi
Hiroshi Tsuchida
Sayaka Ohara

Is it just me, or are there an unusually high number of giant robot shows coming up? Next season alone we've got four (Captain Earth, Dai Shogun, M3, Knights of Sidonia), and for summer we already know about this and Aldnoah.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nichijou 21

Note to self: only watch while drinking. That whole Mio scene with those guys in the blimp would have annoyed me otherwise, but this way my attention just went in and out and in and out and in and out. .

No Professor though which makes this episode shit by default. Like really.

I love Nichijou. I've said many times in here that it's my favorite anime of all time.

But godDAMN I cannot watch the three blimp skits. They're overly long, completely clash with the tone of the rest of the show, and are just a really, really long setup for a joke that is ultimately not funny.

Jintor

Kill la Kill 23

Aerial battles suck. Stuff got done but I wasn't truthfully feeling much of it except for the giant ship blade being flung. Ending credits were amusing though, as was the... preview.

Theonik

Escha & Logy low quality cap from the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVWSu4eiV0

5 screens from Garupan OVA http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-22709.html
That third oneeeeeeee

Glad they are animating that Anzio fight. wondered why they skipped over it in the TV show after all "We are facing Anzio!!!!" for a whole episode.
Personally I thought it was better that way because lol Italy

Kantai Collection anime news:

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/826/826204/

First three announced characters are Fubuki (Sumire Uesaka), Akagi (Saki Fujita), and Kaga (Yuka Iguchi):
Waiting for Taihou.

RAILWARS anime coming this summer
http://i.imgur.com/eLdn4wN.jpg
It's like all the good news are compressed this morning. Not digging the design changes though.

In precisely two weeks. =D

EDIT:

Don't do this.
Don't listen to this man. 90s JoJo OVA is better than anything David Productions could DREAM of making.

Armored :Theonik VOTOMS 7

Basically Chirico is the coolest dude ever. He's like "Oh this is a disaster? I can swing that."
You haven't even seen shit yet. Chirico is the Batman of mecha protagonists.

That anime is better too. :p
You talk much nonsense windigo.

You're on The List.

No, the other list.
Just now? He's been on it for a while!

Princess Tutu 25

So this just occured to me
Is this painting the prince as a lolicon, but unlike others, he's willing to let them become legal?

Dance of the Sugar Plum Corvos
Maybe it's the fault of the Raven blood!

This makes a lot more sense.
Yeah I'm actually EXCITED at this outcome.

I have like... zero intentions of returning to CCS at this point.
Maybe a watching alliance against CCS is in order?

Quasar

OH MY GOOOOOOOD
If they annonce that now that means they 'll have to adapt all the stuff left + 1 more book meaning ..... akatsuki arcccccccccccccccccccccccccc

yyyyyeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss

Best news to wake up with.

I am wondering if it means more books this year and a simultaneous telling in the anime, like with Golden Time.

Mr.Jeff

I've tried Seitokai Yakuindemo before and I hated the 4-koma nature of it. 4-komas just aren't meant to be produced into anime IMO (I'll gladly eat my words if someone knows of a series that's succeeded in doing this)
Hidamari Sketch, Yuyushiki and Sketchbook - full colors would like a word.
I'm sure other people will say K-On as well and that's their right but they are still terrible people.

duckroll

The Wind Rises

This is the most unique film Miyazaki has made in his entire career. I don't think it's the best, but it's definitely up there, but what makes the film really special is how honest it is. I didn't really think Miyazaki had it in him to ground himself with this sort of story, which seems so unlike the sort of stories he usually tells. Age clearly hasn't slowed him down a bit in terms of having something worthwhile to say.

For a film that's really just about a guy's life, dreams, ambitions, and love, there's still quite a few fantastical elements about it. It certainly isn't a Takahata film, but it never tries to be that. The pace is quick and brisk, even if sometimes things don't really happen. There are flashes of drama, and there's almost always something interesting happening at any given time. But somehow it always manages to feel relatable, human, and honest.

The honesty is something which really struck a chord with me. The entire film felt like Miyazaki's way of saying "these are the people who lived in this time, these were their hopes and dreams, this is how they lived, this is how they loved" without needing to apologize for anything or downplay it. This isn't a propaganda film or a pro or anti war film, it's a period film about people who happened to live between world wars and some of their perspectives and contributions to that era.

Another thing which really stuck out to me was how confident the direction was. The film seamlessly transits through months or years without having to use on screen text or montages. There are many scenes which have no dialogue at all, and simply show extended moments of people doing something without forcing conversation or narration. It's pretty rare to see an animated film with direction like this, and it's not a technique Miyazaki frequently applies either, so that was pretty refreshing.

Lots of other things about the film is great - the music, the background animation, the effects, the crowd scenes, the subtle character animation, the extravagant fantasy sequences, and even Anno's performance. I'm sure lots of other people have praised all the technical aspects more than enough though, so I don't think I need to repeat it over again. Regarding Anno's casting though, I have to say - Miyazaki somehow made it work after all. As skeptical as I was, and as jarring as the first transition was when he went from a kid's voice to an adult voice, it worked for the show. Never got in the way for me, and while it's a bit distinctive as a voice, it is believable as an adult, and the conversations felt pretty natural.

tl;dr - Good movie, go watch it.

I am wondering if it means more books this year and a simultaneous telling in the anime, like with Golden Time.

i think it's safe to expect 1 more book in the meantime.

I mean the author seems to have found his inspiration back

He wrote Book 1 to 5 from march 2011 to november 2011.

And then released book 6 March 30, 2013 and book 7 December 20, 2013

Considering how book 7 is , i fully expect book 8 to be soon and to be included ( he is taking more time than before but he seems that he has found his inspiration back and there shouldn't be any problems.)

Okay, I just need to clarify something -- do people dislike everything Sawano or just his last couple years of work? Or do they just think he's showing up in too many places?

In large part, I just think Sawano is far too bombastic with all of his work. I find that his music often simply drowns out the situations, and can frequently turn what could have been a nice dramatic moment into unintentional comedy.

Mecha

Is it just me, or are there an unusually high number of giant robot shows coming up? Next season alone we've got four (Captain Earth, Dai Shogun, M3, Knights of Sidonia), and for summer we already know about this and Aldnoah.

I should like the recent surge in mecha anime, but all of them but Captain Earth look kind of bland. I'm fine with real robots, I usually need interesting ideas to get interested (Votoms, Layzner, Xabungle, etc). The lack of super robot anime being made is really sad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 25:

Oh thank the stars that we are getting that second season, or else my anger would have been such to engulf the heavens above.
Anyway, I found it rather amusing that defeating Lord Malwas' plan was just a side deal to Shiroe. Well, we know that isn't actually true and this actually pushed Shrioe to his limits but he wasn't going to let the world know that. I also like that while the bad PR is all part of the grand stratagem Shiroe didn't fully take into account the repercussions it could bring to Log Horizon. Aside from that Minori is really starting to get on my nerves because her love can never be and this isn't the evil MMORPG show. I find Akatsuki's plight to be much more interesting as she struggles to deal not only with her body issues but the fact that she is rather the outsider to our hero. Well, this is all really a backdrop for the introduction for the new villianess, the obsessed foxgirl and leader of the West, Nureha. I look forward to the human chess game that has been set before us next season.

Log Horizon Season One Review:

I have made no secret that I have grown to love Log Horizon over the course of its 25 episodes. I am glad that I can like this show on its own merits and not just because it is the panacea to the terrible corruption that is Sword Art Online. I do admit this show starts out rather slow and dull, really not showing off its true potential until the Return to Akihabara arc and that is where we see this show's penchant for subtlety, world building, politics and tactics really begin to flourish. I will say that if somebody is looking for an action show, this isn't it, the action does exist and I like how it understands MMORPG tropes and trappings so very well. The budget isn't there though, the production values are just not there and that hampered certain scenes that those who have watched the show will know what I am talking about. All and all Log Horizon made it to my top 10 of last year and will almost certainty make it again this year, so highest of recommendations to watch season one before the fall season.

Log Horizon 25
An interesting ending but there wasn't any closure. The new villain girl is interesting. Well Season 2 is also good news.

Midonin

The Twitter for Sadon Desu confirmed that the "spring" season was a mistake - the actual date hasn't been decided yet, and it's definitely not Spring.

Chambro's ghost looking down on them from heaven

How can you not love a robot like Chambro? Best mecha of 2013.

If he doesn't at least get rebuilt, or his AI gets reprogrammed back to life (it's possible!), I'll probably flip a desk.

After War Gundam X - 21

So our main villains that were part of the old military are at the Zonda Epta huh? What are they trying to do? Awaken the Primevals?

Wow, It's incredible that a villain with a half-assed scheme to get on the Friedan without A Gundam is more interesting than our two main villains, the Frost Brothers.

Ah well, it's nice to see the team actually not falling for the enemies trap and actually giving them the slip.

Pooya

Oooooh.... erm..... (Gargantia TV spoiler)
why is Chamber there?! :eek:
Pinion probably fix it, duh, you have a super repairman in the plot for a reason :p

they were never going to leave that out.

------

hope this won't be as bad as that last OVA D:

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of the Diamond 23

Really good stuff, I'm enjoying this show more and more as time goes on.

Sawamura asking if 4 seam was a foreign rapper was so fucking lol. Definitely would be a great rapper name.

Pooya

there is something about Aldnoah Zero artworks, I dunno maybe it's coloring or backgrounds (2nd and 3rd one in particular), if you told me it's a ufotable anime I would have believed you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Brothers Fin
Jm6p5Sdl.png

A perfect final image.

You know, I was wondering why in this future the Russian program would essentially split from NASA and you would have two competing programs duplicating technology... and while I still think it doesn't actually make sense (including the absence of China completely), it certainly paid off in a way that I simply didn't see coming. In fact, I'd probably say it was unprecedented, but that's probably why it works as a great surprise.

Certainly, if they had to end it here - presumably because they need to pull a Gintama and let the manga catch up - then having that final twist is really the next best thing to the semi-cop out ending of the film.

As for the series itself... it's been such a wonderful ride. Although I hated the early arcs, including the whole capsule arc which just felt like it lasted forever, you can see so much of the show being planned out.

Take the "story arc" of the real world Apollo program - starting with the tragedy of Apollo 1 - and build a series around the idea of going back to the moon again. Throw in some October Sky, some Apollo 13, some From Earth to the Moon, and just stories about brothers in general and you have basically a show that is fanservice to space nerds. With the show going off the air, I really don't know what I could possibly watch that could even live up to what this show represented. Maybe if China gets its ass in gear and starts doing more manned missions again? They're basically the only hope for humanity going out of suborbit now, for better or for worse.

And it's funny, just thinking about the other aspect of the show for a bit... as much as the romance in Silver Spoon annoys me because it can't progress in any meaningful way because that's how manga works, Space Brothers managed to avoid that by simply writing off Serika entirely and having her be some distant goal that Mutta pines for rather than a person that causes him to constantly blush every single episode. Of course, it's also inexcusable for an adult to not act on their (mutual) interest, so at least you can just pretend that their work keeps them away from each other. Either way, the standstill romance just doesn't in the way of the meat of the show.
(The sad thing is that I bet Hibito gets the Russian girl way before Mutta gets Serika :p).

At this point, I feel like I should watch some NASA documentaries or something. Maybe rewatch that documentary about Richard Garriot going into space to get a taste of the Russian side of things again. Or I could watch the Space Bros movie again. Or maybe just watch Gravity for the umpteenth time. lol

Until next time, Space Cowboy. I'll be waiting for you to come back.

Space Bros 99

They actually managed to make this into a good stopping point. Before this episode I wasn't sure they could pull it over given that it felt like things were still in the middle of an arc.
I wasn't expecting the Hibito crisis to end with him defecting to Russia, but it works.

It's strange to see this end after watching it (almost) every week for two years, it's the longest I've ever watched any television show continuously. But there's a movie and it seems like this is just a hiatus.
Until next time, Space Cowboy. I'll be waiting for you to come back.
Now I'm getting all sad about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom