• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? PV from stream rip by Woun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPpweNdOqWg

For some reason I'm getting pretty strong Kin'iro Mosaic vibes from this.

Which can only be a good thing.

Hunter x Hunter 121

Caught up now and man, this is a loooooooooooooong battle. I hope they get to the actual important fights soon. I also hope the narrator shuts up. You don't need to take 5 minutes to explain this shit.

Hey, no hating on the narrator. The narrator is a bro XD

The guys in the blimp is some of the worst bits in Nichijou.
godDAMN I cannot watch the three blimp skits. They're overly long, completely clash with the tone of the rest of the show, and are just a really, really long setup for a joke that is ultimately not funny.

You people are crazy, those sketches are amazing. If anything I wanted to see more of Wood Cube-world, it was a really fun bizarre little setting. Sasuga Yukko's imagination.

Don't listen to this man. 90s JoJo OVA is better than anything David Productions could DREAM of making.

Ehhhhhh, at earlier points in time an argument could perhaps have been made for watching the OVAs (not that I would have advocated it myself, but I can see why some people might want to), but with the davidpro Part 3 adaptation coming up in just two weeks, it would be the stupidest decision a person could make.

The biggest disadvantage of going from davidpro Parts 1 and 2 to the OVAs is that they screw up the sense of continuity, both in terms of being a massive shift in style from the davidpro adaptation and in terms of how much they skip over story-wise. Even if someone really wanted to watch the OVAs for whatever reason, they'd be much better served by watching the davidpro Part 3 adaptation first for the continuity and then checking out the OVAs afterwards. That way they can admire the animation upgrade for some of the highlight scenes without having to worry about the continuity issues because they're already familiar with the material.

Defuser

Log Horizon ep 25 final
Goodbye Database :(
BUT FUCK YEAH SEASON 2!!!!!!!!

Overall this series is excellent in what does best in doing a MMO anime. Despite the fighting/action is lacking but the strong worldbuilding,gaming mechanics, politics and the characters more than enough to overshadow it and be one of the damn good show.

BETTER THAN SAO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 99

They actually managed to make this into a good stopping point. Before this episode I wasn't sure they could pull it over given that it felt like things were still in the middle of an arc.
I wasn't expecting the Hibito crisis to end with him defecting to Russia, but it works.

It's strange to see this end after watching it (almost) every week for two years, it's the longest I've ever watched any television show continuously. But there's a movie and it seems like this is just a hiatus.
Now I'm getting all sad about this.

Yeah, I don't think I've watched a shounen like this for this long either. It just feels weird to have it off all of a sudden.

The movie has been discussed before, but it basically retells everything up to the moon arc but with a lot of reshuffling and some notable omissions. However, there is a very neat cameo though, which makes it worth watching just for that.

(They all speak English when they're in America as well!)

Space Brothers Fin

You know, I was wondering why in this future the Russian program would essentially split from NASA and you would have two competing programs duplicating technology... and while I still think it doesn't actually make sense (including the absence of China completely), it certainly paid off in a way that I simply didn't see coming.

Considering the current strained relationship between the US and Russia, a return to Cold War-era space standoffs between the two countries no longer seems completely implausible. (Well, if anyone still cared about space that is.)

Guess I should watch Space Bros sometime now that it's finished (for now).

Yeah, I don't think I've watched a shounen like this for this long either. It just feels weird to have it off all of a sudden.

The movie has been discussed before, but it basically retells everything up to the moon arc but with a lot of reshuffling and some notable omissions. However, there is a very neat cameo though, which makes it worth watching just for that.

(They all speak English when they're in America as well!)

I meant the animated prequel movie that hasn't been released yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Considering the current strained relationship between the US and Russia, a return to Cold War-era space standoffs between the two countries no longer seems completely implausible. (Well, if anyone still cared about space that is.)

Guess I should watch Space Bros sometime now that it's finished (for now).
The show is mostly apolitical and also mostly accurate. So, given that the ISS is still in orbit and the fact that there is still some technology exchange, there's clearly some kind of working relationship there. Why they wouldn't choose to work together on Lunar missions - especially considering the astronomical cost - is a bit weird.

Of course, I just remembered, that the Russians didn't give the Americans their parachute technology... which in turn causes the one pivotal accident that frames the entire series in the first place.

So... maybe it's just a matter of whatever works for the plot. But I'm fine with that, because it clearly feels like "Babylon 5" in terms of everything seemingly like it's all been planned right from the beginning.

I meant the animated prequel movie that hasn't been released yet.
Ahhhh, that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Wind Rises
The honesty is something which really struck a chord with me. The entire film felt like Miyazaki's way of saying "these are the people who lived in this time, these were their hopes and dreams, this is how they lived, this is how they loved" without needing to apologize for anything or downplay it.
But...it's all made up.

NeonZ

Keroro - File 001

Keroro_flashanime_op01_02_zps17422d67.jpg
Keroro_flashanime_op01_01_zpsc6b19f94.jpg

Keroro_flashanime_ep01_03_zpsa5fd8ea5.jpg
Keroro_flashanime_ep01_02_zps5bc216c6.jpg

Keroro_flashanime_ep01_01_zpsa3e1ba3f.jpg
Keroro_flashanime_ep01_04_zpsec3ad322.jpg

So, the new anime, in spite of being 3 minute short stories animated in flash, actually is a reboot, retelling the story from the start, not just random comedic shorts or something.

They seem to be sticking closer to the manga in some points (like Fuyuki still being a middle school student in the beginning), but I don't see what's the point considering how they're clearly going to change things heavily due to the format. The opening indicates that Tomosu, Kaneami and New Keroro, three characters who only appeared in the manga after the end of the original anime are going to be main characters here, so it seems like they'll rush things a lot to get to them quickly. The original anime kind of did that for Dororo, although it had longer episodes and he appears much earlier than those three.

Keroro is mostly episodic, so it isn't that bad. Still, something like this episode, covering a scene that had already been adapted before without changing anything important, just feels kind of pointless. The animation was decent in spite of being animated in flash, but it just didn't add anything. They changed Fuyuki's nightmare to happen during daytime though, which was odd and didn't work as well as the original series' version.

Narag

Storm Riders: Clash of the Evils

It was ok. Story was all over the place and character motivations took a bit to be fully understood. Wouldn't really recommend this to anyone unless they've an animated action itch to scratch as there's neat fights and good ideas held back by a lot of everything else.

fbNJQ6nl.png
OO5lmOvl.jpg

Also every animal in this is unintentionally hilarious.

Without any spoilers can someone tell me if Kanami from the Tea Party group in Log Horizon will show up later in the novels, because it seems like they been showing hints in the anime but I could be wrong though.

Articalys

The Wind Rises

This is the most unique film Miyazaki has made in his entire career. I don't think it's the best, but it's definitely up there, but what makes the film really special is how honest it is. I didn't really think Miyazaki had it in him to ground himself with this sort of story, which seems so unlike the sort of stories he usually tells. Age clearly hasn't slowed him down a bit in terms of having something worthwhile to say.

For a film that's really just about a guy's life, dreams, ambitions, and love, there's still quite a few fantastical elements about it. It certainly isn't a Takahata film, but it never tries to be that. The pace is quick and brisk, even if sometimes things don't really happen. There are flashes of drama, and there's almost always something interesting happening at any given time. But somehow it always manages to feel relatable, human, and honest.

The honesty is something which really struck a chord with me. The entire film felt like Miyazaki's way of saying "these are the people who lived in this time, these were their hopes and dreams, this is how they lived, this is how they loved" without needing to apologize for anything or downplay it. This isn't a propaganda film or a pro or anti war film, it's a period film about people who happened to live between world wars and some of their perspectives and contributions to that era.

Another thing which really stuck out to me was how confident the direction was. The film seamlessly transits through months or years without having to use on screen text or montages. There are many scenes which have no dialogue at all, and simply show extended moments of people doing something without forcing conversation or narration. It's pretty rare to see an animated film with direction like this, and it's not a technique Miyazaki frequently applies either, so that was pretty refreshing.

Lots of other things about the film is great - the music, the background animation, the effects, the crowd scenes, the subtle character animation, the extravagant fantasy sequences, and even Anno's performance. I'm sure lots of other people have praised all the technical aspects more than enough though, so I don't think I need to repeat it over again. Regarding Anno's casting though, I have to say - Miyazaki somehow made it work after all. As skeptical as I was, and as jarring as the first transition was when he went from a kid's voice to an adult voice, it worked for the show. Never got in the way for me, and while it's a bit distinctive as a voice, it is believable as an adult, and the conversations felt pretty natural.

tl;dr - Good movie, go watch it.
Glad you liked it!
The Twitter for Sadon Desu confirmed that the "spring" season was a mistake - the actual date hasn't been decided yet, and it's definitely not Spring.
Heh, I figured that's what was going to happen... sorry to whoever put it down in their hype survey.

-------------------------------------------------

Log Horizon ep.25

Excellent finale (though of course there's really nothing "final" about it). One of the best shows across both he Fall and Winter seasons. Absolutely can't wait for S2 later this year.

CorvoSol

New mecha show announced: Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen. Airing Summer 2014.

http://www.argevollen.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpHFaKdNJU

Director: Atsushi Ootsuki (Working!! S2, TLRD)
Series Composition: Tatsuo Sato (Martian Successor Nadesico, Bodacious Space Pirates)
Character Design: Yuichi Ouka (To Love Ru series)
Mechanical Design: Hirame Kikuchi, Kenji Teraoka (Code Geass, Valvrave, Gundam 00, many, many more)
Setting and Research: Shigeru Morita (Code Geass, Gundam Seed)
Music: Kotaro Nakagawa (Code Geass)
OP artist: KOTOKO
ED artist: Sachika Misawa
Animation Production: XEBEC

Announced cast:
Ryota Ohsaka
Saori Onishi
Hiroshi Tsuchida
Sayaka Ohara

Is this one going to be 2D Mecha? Cuz I'm already digging that design more than the Aldnoah Zero one. Either way, looks like there's going to be a fair amount of new mecha shows this year. I suppose I ought to at least go back and finish Nobunaga the Fool. Although I don't think you could pay me money to resume Buddy Complex.

CorvoSol

So I thought I'd take a moment to make sure my closing commentary on Princess Tutu was a little more comprehensive than just a silly image. I figure I owe that to Cajun at the very least.

So I felt that it was a very nice show, actually. I enjoyed a fair bit more of it than my grumpy complaining about the lack of ninjas might let on. While I think Mytho wasn't an interesting character in anyway, I did think that Duck, Rue, and especially Drosslemeyer were very interesting.

I also appreciate that they took their theme of ballet and stuck with it in a real way. They demonstrated time and again that ballet isn't easy, that it's really hard work, and that being graceful is a matter of dedication.

I also enjoyed that they chose to use dance as an alternative for combat. I could try to make some silly statement about how I think it meshes neatly with some of the feminist materials I've had to read for school in the sense that dance here is used as an alternative form of communication, expression, and competition to the more masculine concept of battle as such. But I don't really feel comfortable enough to flesh this claim out any further.

I felt that Duck's struggle, however silly the duck-angst bits were, was a sympathetic battle against fate and a struggle between selfishness and selflessness. Like any good show aimed at younger people, I found the coming of age aspect endearing, especially as Duck realized that she could dance and help people to dance without the physical appearance of a graceful princess or a human girl and could be comfortable in who she was and what she was doing.

I note that there was a great deal of commentary on the magical girl/shoujo set up, such as I understand it. The subversions here are, I would think, notably more positive than they were in Utena, but I'm not really certain I could say I grasp them in their fullness because, where I now appreciate Evangelion not as some deep thing but as a subversion of classical Super Robot anime because I am increasingly familiar with classical Super Robot anime, the best I can say is that it seemed to me that Tutu was going to great lengths to comment on Magical Girl/Shoujo anime but since I'm not familiar with the genre at all, I cannot make very specific comments on it.

Ultimately I think Tutu is a good show. It's got energy, it's quirky, and the cast is memorable enough to carry it on. Misguided or not by false promises of ninjas, if I had to put a finger to my actual dissatisfaction with the series it would only be that "Magical Girls aren't really my thing." Because there wasn't really that much wrong with the show, and I enjoyed and appreciated it for what it was, but at the same time I can't rightly say that what it was was something I would seek to watch more of.

Defuser

Jojo season 2, Durarara season 2, Log Horizon season 2, Psycho Pass S2(lol), SAO S2(lol), Mushishi S2. New Anonatsu, Hanamonogatari and a shit ton of other sequels.

Then we got new projects shaping to be great like RAIL WARS!, Aldonah Zero, the other Noitamina projects and many more which I can't remember right now.

2014 is a fucking great year for anime watchers.

Midonin

Nisekoi 11

Equal advancements for Chitoge and Kosaki this time around. I can't decide between either of them. The party was a lot of fun, and the Kosaki scene had enough awkward/adorable tension and HanaKana that it could lure a few over to her side. Ruri continues to be the shadow master of love.

Jojo season 2, Durarara season 2, Log Horizon season 2, Psycho Pass S2(lol), SAO S2(lol), Mushishi S2. New Anonatsu, Hanamonogatari and a shit ton of other sequels.

Then we got new projects shaping to be great like RAIL WARS!, Aldonah Zero, the other Noitamina projects and many more which I can't remember right now.

2014 is a fucking great year for anime watchers.

Yeah there is something for everyone ..it's gonna be great.

World Conquest Zvezda Plot Episode 11

Astuta doing the Zvezda thing was really fun. Kind of want to imitate it.

But quite a dark start to the episode, really unexpected but pleased it changed so much over the course of this 23 minutes

K-On! 13

Some downtime in-between all the fun.

It's winter and everybody is doing their own thing. Hot pot planning, pet sitting, working, writing lyrics and wondering about a letter...

One of the slower episodes, but it's nice to have after all the fast-paced ones.

Midonin

World Conquest 11

Damn. Daaaaaaaamn. Natasha's captured, but can turn her tears into kurukurus? And what happened to Roboko was just brutal. I'd call the governor here the most over the top politician I've seen this season, but Samurai Flamenco already holds that title. The stage is being set for something big. The part that had me most intrigued was the flashback at the beginning with Kate. I suspect that it may not be Kate at all, but something to do with the doll she always carries and that ancient civilization we saw back in the Treasure Club episode. I do look forward to the finale. And hey, the smoking episode tied back into things too!

Articalys

News from the Anime Boston Aniplex USA panel: release date for Servant x Service is set for May 27. DVD-only, preorders start Monday.

Will update this post with any additional announcements.

I wonder what AoA has planned for Valvrave. The first season did air the season prior to SxS.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Final Fantasy X - Eternal Calm

Yuna sure likes to mention her 2 minutes and 41 seconds, and how she wants more
to breathe underwater

Oh well, I guess that ties things up

Log Horizon 25

Well this episode did a good job in hyping up season 2.
It was not meant to but it does this pretty well , that's right.

Oh damn, getting some Kiniro Mosaic vibes with this one. :O

I knew I was wrong in putting my faith in KyoAni. What a load of horse shit. Hope it bombs to high hell.

I need a new season of Bodacious Space Pirates to soothe this pain in my heart.
Amen sister, amen.

-----------------------------------
Log horizon - 25
So they actually cut shiroe telling others LH goal. That's for S2 i guess. Episode ended on a magnificent cliffanger that will hype anyone for more episode, including

- A worthy foe
- Said foe is a
obsessive , manipulative , lying yandere
( so good )
-
More new spells , more new possibilities
-
A race on how to get back to the real world ?
- Akatsuki realising her ( many ) shortcomings
- A gigantic promise for a new course of action for shiroe and the entire guild

I'm satisfied....
Admist all this stuff , everyone missed this important anime-only clue :
1395501967171.gif

Marie-nee , it's no use , lenessia has her eyes for crusty !
It's probably there that
the female tea party group started.

In short , awesome Log horizon is awesome. Dammit Ln writter give me a date for vol 8 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom