• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

My classes are already cancelled for tomorrow. Gotta love the south.

Going to pick up beer/cash in a bit. Also debating on whether to get a new game or not.

megalowho

Couldn't decide on a beer to pick up so I grabbed some Yuengling, thanks thread

Still not convinced it's going to be a big deal for NYC but here's hoping. Live right around Central Park which is always fun to explore during a snowstorm and the day after.

This is a bit of an aside, but anyone going to (or knows anyone going to) the NFC Championship game on Sunday is completely screwed if they're coming in from the north or west. You could consider hoteling it out for 2 nights. The interstates proper (and JUST the interstates) should passable on Sunday in Virginia but it's a dice roll on if you could be able to widely travel or not.

... How do you plan on getting your car from the garage to the street?
Shoveling or I'll get a snowblower. Even without a snowblower it'll still be a lot easier than digging out cars constantly. Also there is no where to put the snow thats in our parking spots without walking 20 feet with each shovelful. It sucks.

Kelia

I am still seeing a fair amount of people who are still doubting that it will snow in the Baltimore Metro area. Basically "I think that the storm is going to miss us!" to "I think we will just get a DUSTING of snow!" to "I bet you we will get a snow/rain mix that turns to all rain!" I hope these people prepared, and are not shocked when they wake up on Saturday morning to find themselves snowed in. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to Mother Nature.

I live in Howard County and I went shopping for my family yesterday around 3pm at Safeway. Even then they were running low on water and bread. There was still tons of milk left, but that may not hold true today. When I went out around 6pm to get dinner with my boyfriend the Giant nearby was completely packed, and the roads around the shopping center were more congested than usual.

WGMBY

I am still seeing a fair amount of people who are still doubting that it will snow in the Baltimore Metro area. Basically "I think that the storm is going to miss us!" to "I think we will just get a DUSTING of snow!" to "I bet you we will get a snow/rain mix that turns to all rain!" I hope these people prepared, and are not shocked when they wake up on Saturday morning to find themselves snowed in. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to Mother Nature.

I live in Howard County and I went shopping for my family yesterday around 3pm at Safeway. Even then they were running low on water and bread. There was still tons of milk left, but that may not hold true today. When I went out around 6pm to get dinner with my boyfriend the Giant nearby was completely packed, and the roads around the shopping center were more congested than usual.

Lol, up here on Boston everyone was talking about the impending snow Monday and Tuesday, but now that it's been scaled back to just 1-3 inches there's much less talk about it.

Kinda dissapointed. Even though the city was practically shut down during the storm last year, I liked watching the snow pile up. Guess I'll have to wait for the next Snowpocalypse.

National Weather Service graphics for Howard County says 23-25 inches is most likely with up to 28 inches possible on the maximum map.

Lucreto

Can anyone recommend some good Web camera to watch the snow?

Living in Ireland, the last time we had even an inch on snow was in 2010.

I am quite jealous at the moment.

My godmother in Memphis just shared a pic of her waiting in a kroger more than halfway to the back of the store. Kinda amazing Memphis may get the most snowfall in TN.

Tobor

Company is closed tomorrow, so no work!

I stopped at LL Bean and got some new boots and I'm ready to go.

Let's do this!

kaskade

Just got home from the girl's place, and have to head into work.

Here's a video explaining the differences between the latest NAM (short range model) run and the latest GFS run (long range, more reliable model).

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1rmGPljwEMDGN

Ok now I know why the weather prediction is so inconsistent where I live. Like he was saying I'm right on that line that if it pushed up north a bit ill be getting more. I guess they just can't for sure say if it's going to hold south a bit or pop up a bit. I'm learning quite a bit about weather stuff here. It seems like that northern piece weakened in the newer model so I guess if it shows a bit more weakness in the new one it'll let the storm move up north a little more?

Ok now I know why the weather prediction is so inconsistent where I live. Like he was saying I'm right on that line that if it pushed up north a bit ill be getting more. I guess they just can't for sure say if it's going to hold south a bit or pop up a bit. I'm learning quite a bit about weather stuff here. It seems like that northern piece weakened in the newer model so I guess if it shows a bit more weakness in the new one it'll let the storm move up north a little more?

Bernie is great to watch if you want to learn about this stuff.

Just got home from the girl's place, and have to head into work.

Here's a video explaining the differences between the latest NAM (short range model) run and the latest GFS run (long range, more reliable model).

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1rmGPljwEMDGN
This backs up something I was saying last night-- That it's fun to think of the models as being gladiators in some arena. Hell, it's what he opens this with in the video, and mocks the NAM with a personal insult later on. And bickering over 25-50 miles of movement sounds like something two bitter rivals would scream at one another about. Every media outlet has been saying this same thing all day. American vs Canadian vs European! Fight!

Those two are agreeing a little more it seems, with the GFS stepping up at the 18z run. I do still quite hope the NAM is exaggerating things, mind you. It's not like you root for something in a disaster situation.
Ok now I know why the weather prediction is so inconsistent where I live. It seems like that northern piece weakened in the newer model so I guess if it shows a bit more weakness in the new one it'll let the storm move up north a little more?
If that's what your local weather guy explained and you understood this much of it, he's really doing a pretty damn good job. That's actually a pretty good TLDR. The agreement is much better than 12 hours ago.

Concert I was planning on going to on Saturday has been rescheduled for March. Nice. Now I have absolutely no plans and nothing to worry about, so bring on the snow!

The madness around the first real storm of the year is silly... Estimates of 24" last week for Massachusetts, now, where I live, less than an inch. We got more in the popup storm on Monday than this one.

Good luck others.

Opto

Banned
I prepared for the worst, bought staple foods, and now we'll get little more than a dusting. I should get prepared more often

The madness around the first real storm of the year is silly... Estimates of 24" last week for Massachusetts, now, where I live, less than an inch. We got more in the popup storm on Monday than this one.

Good luck others.

You just need to get it into your head to not listen to snow predictions that far out.

Draper

Harrisburg, here. Weather.com updated from 5-8" to 8-12" earlier this evening, so I think it's fair to say we are going to get a good bit of snow. I just hope it doesn't hit until I'm out of work.

Nice, thanks for the info. I'll be out tomorrow by 5, so I think I'll be in the clear.

Any Harrisburg residents here?

Are we fucked?

Chester-County GAF here... you guys should be alright, I think in the ~10-14 in. range. That far north/west of the interstate you shouldn't be hit too too hard. We are still in the 12-18 inch range ugh. The snow I can deal with, I just hope because this being the heavy, wet snow, we don't lose power.

Akiraptor

Frederick County (VA) here. We haven't gotten snow like this in several years. Can't wait to see how much actually ends up coming down.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm basically in the you are fucked range of 24"+.

Frederick County here.

Feel a bit silly asking this, but havent really flown a lot and I'm supposed to fly in from Miami to nyc on Saturday afternoon. I'm assuming this will be cancelled? Any advice on what I can do preemptively?

I lived in DC a few years ago. You guys are fucked. That city can't handle snow even when its like 2 inches let alone 2 ft.

Preemptively, RIP

Feel a bit silly asking this, but havent really flown a lot and I'm supposed to fly in from Miami to nyc on Saturday afternoon. I'm assuming this will be cancelled? Any advice on what I can do preemptively?

Call the airline and move the flight to tomorrow or sunday

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Reschedule your flight stay in Miami a day or two longer.

Culex

Banned
Good luck DC GAF! After having survived nearly 40 inches of snow during the blizzard of 2013 in CT, I empathize with you.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you have LOTS of candles.

Lower CT here with travel plans to low-mid CT on Sunday for my son's sixth bday party. Are we screwed? I haven't really been following and chatter at work has been mixed.

"Freezing rain. Low around 29. North wind 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.3 to 0.5 of an inch possible."

rest in pepperoni chapel hill

marrec

Banned
Went grocery shopping today in Pittsburgh and the fucking Milk was out here.

They're not even calling for more than an inch or two here anymore, but people still ran a train on the milk.

You assholes.

Petrae

Lower CT here with travel plans to low-mid CT on Sunday for my son's sixth bday party. Are we screwed? I haven't really been following and chatter at work has been mixed.

Depends on what time Sunday. Bulk of precip is progged for Saturday & Saturday night, so perhaps there will be some road recovery by Sunday noon. That said, last model run showed northern shift, increasing precip amounts for Southern New England... so 6"+ down that way looking more plausible than it did in previous model runs. Tomorrow will be key to determining more accurate snowfall amounts-- and to see if northward movement is really happening. Best to make plans based on forecasts tomorrow evening, IMO.

owlbeak

Seemed to have settled on 6-12" in my area, so it's anyone's guess to which side of the scale it will land on. Will check and see what it's doing in the morning before it arrives in my area around 10am.

Socreges

Banned
Trying to get snow tires on our rental car. Response from travel agent was akin to 'LOL'. Fair enough - DC doesn't do snow tires. Reap the consequences, though

coopolon

It looks like it's really not going to get started until tomorrow night in Baltimore, according to accuweather and weather.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom