• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Looks like I picked a good weekend to go to Orlando for an Expo o_O Then again I'll be back in Philly on Sunday to see the aftermath.

NWS snowfall prediction models range from nothing to 10 inches for my area. I'm just preparing for 8 inches and hopefully it ends up being less and not more.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
My fiancé' was in Rochester, NY for work, so I joined her and worked from the hotel. We were supposed to fly out to KC (home) tomorrow.

We're stranded in a hotel now until Sunday night.

Get thee to Dinosaur BBQ right now!

Actually if you're from KC you probably have higher standards. Get some Poutine instead.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Get thee to Dinosaur BBQ right now!

Actually if you're from KC you probably have higher standards. Get some Poutine instead.

Eh, while I LOVE me some KC BBQ, I'm not a picky fellow. I'll take a look.

Also, funny enough, went to grab some poutine last night:

24495167486_e9322431aa_h.jpg

EDIT: Holy shit, Dinosaur BBQ is supposedly 3 minutes away, lmao!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, while I LOVE me some KC BBQ, I'm not a picky fellow. I'll take a look.

Also, funny enough, went to grab some poutine last night:

If you're downtown I'd also recommend Victoire Belgian Bar and Bistro. Great food and great beer selection.

Mully

I just woke up about an hour ago and heading over to my girl's place for a bit. Before I go, I'll say that I cannot ignore the global models' (GFS, EURO, and CMC) solutions. They all point to a major snow event down in the DC and Philly area and a minor event for areas just north of NYC. That said, I also can't ignore the high res, short range models (SREFS, RGEM, and NAM). They all say that major snow accumulation will occur for DC, Philly, and NYC.

I'd like to post more, but my girl is going to pissed at me if I don't show up soon. I've been ignoring her since Sunday morning when I started staying up for all the model runs. NAM does look good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the track of the storm is about 25 miles further east of where the NAM has it right now. That means areas like NYC and even Bridgeport could seen 10" + of snow. DC and Philly still get slammed with at least 16".

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you're downtown I'd also recommend Victoire Belgian Bar and Bistro. Great food and great beer selection.

Holy cow, are you me? That's where I went earlier this week for lunch! I got a duck reuben - it was delicious.

Any other suggestions? Best entertainment within walking distance?

I have seen everywhere between 6 inches and 42 inches predicted for my county.

I live in the middle of a city literally a minute's walk away from the dollar store and supermarket and a couple restaurants, so I'm not freaking about about food/supplies.

Mully

One more thing before I go, the NAM did have similar numbers for similar areas for last year's bust around the same time during the lead up of that storm. Take the NAM for what it is, and leave it at that.

My buddy showed me a pic he took at the Walmart in LaVale, MD last night. Bread aisle wiped completely bare. You'd think it was the end of the world, not "driving might be inconvenient for a couple days"

zoozilla

Wow, didn't realize there were so many Silver Spring Gaffers.

I look forward to having no power for the rest of January.

Having lived through Snowmageddon in Baltimore where we got 50 inches of snow in a very short amount of time, all I can say is prepare your anus.

JasonS

Neo Member
Almost done stocking up, just need to drop by the liquor store and Rite-Aid. In a far northwest DC suburb, so I'm in the thick of it: 24-30 inches, they're saying now. Should be interesting...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Holy cow, are you me? That's where I went earlier this week for lunch! I got a duck reuben - it was delicious.

Any other suggestions? Best entertainment within walking distance?

Maybe I am you...

... Or maybe Rochester is a tiny town with only an inkling of culture to enjoy.

Anyway if you like live music you can check out the Bug Jar. They usually have good local rock bands on tap.

If classical is more your thing I'd recommend checking out what's playing at the Eastman Theater this weekend. Even if you don't see something I'd still recommend checking out the venue; wonderful example of 1920s design.

The Strong Museum of Play has a lot of classic arcade games in great condition if that's your thing. Go during the day for no lines. You do have to pay for admission and per game so be warned.

Genesee Brewing has cheap beer flights. Also offers a great view of the falls from the roof.

The Little theatre has indie films all the time.

Icefire1424

As someone who lives in Syracuse (home to the original Dinosaur) AND has lived in the South for 7 years, the Dino is no joke.

...also if in Rochester, go for the garbage plate. Most local joints have one. Trust me on that.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who lives in Syracuse (home to the original Dinosaur) AND has lived in the South for 7 years, the Dino is no joke.

...also if in Rochester, go for the garbage plate. Most local joints have one. Trust me on that.

I've lived in Rochester for near 2 years and have yet to have a decent garbage plate. They truly earned their name with that one.

georly

Pics people pics-

As a Midwesterner transplanted to So-cal I want to live vicariously!

Miss epic snowfall. And Sambuca

You got about 24 hours before pics start rolling in. I'll take some if I get good snow, as predicted. I'm smack dab in the center of the models.
That's what he said

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whoa hold on what's wrong with Yuengling

^

This wtf Yuengling is great cheap beer.

I work with a dude who literally only drinks yuengling. It's the only beer he likes. He doesn't even really like beer, he just likes yuengling. Everything with a stronger flavor is "too hoppy" or "too bitter", but he also hates the cheap shit like coors and bud.

I work with a dude who literally only drinks yuengling. It's the only beer he likes. He doesn't even really like beer, he just likes yuengling. Everything with a stronger flavor is "too hoppy" or "too bitter", but he also hates the cheap shit like coors and bud.

Do...do you work with me?

kaskade

I really have no state pride but for some reason whenever I see Yuengling I get a little happy.

I recently had their Black & Tan and enjoyed it. I might pick up a pack for the weekend.

Icefire1424

I've lived in Rochester for near 2 years and have yet to have a decent garbage plate. They truly earned their name with that one.

I should have elaborated. Unless you order a garbage plate while drunk, you're doing it wrong.

It is better if you get a place that throws a burger patty on top of a mess of fries though.

Anyways, apologies for the sidebar, back to your local weather.

georly

Yeah, I can see why. It's the mildest beer that doesn't taste like water, so it strikes a balance between 'beer' beers and light beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom