• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classes got canceled... after 2pm.

It'ssomething.gif

Not gonna turn up my nose at a reprieve from Fluid Mechanics and probably the Advanced Computational Methods quiz to boot.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm in Berks County, PA, and we're expecting from 8-12" out of this, but some models say we'll get less, and some say even more. Who the hell knows. Honestly it's the wind I'm more worried about, when it's windy I typically lose power out here in Farmtown, USA. I'm okay with being snowed in as long as I have heat, running water, power, and the internet. If we lose electric then I need to rough it and I'll be bored, LOL.

Socreges

Banned
Jesus Christ.

I showed up for work this morning and no one was in the parking lot (and it is normally packed with cars). Free day off for under a half an inch of snow!

5SHO5TC.jpg

I moved from Maine to Memphis, TN this past summer so this is a new one on me.
Amazing

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Eh, it's perfectly fine. It's not amazing, but it's still way better than any other version.

Its not terrible but it is missing some cool features that the DVD release had. If I also remember correctly its not the best transfer. Its been a while since I watched the BRDVD version

daveo42

Banned
I think us in SW Ohio are getting a pass. I for one am fine with this development. That means I don't have to worry about massive back ups on the interstate this evening.

Jesus Christ.

I showed up for work this morning and no one was in the parking lot (and it is normally packed with cars). Free day off for under a half an inch of snow!

5SHO5TC.jpg

I moved from Maine to Memphis, TN this past summer so this is a new one on me.

That's not surprising. In the 90s I lived in Raleigh, NC. We got 1/2" of snow and the city was shut down for a week. We also lost the following week, but that due to something more serious: A few inches of ice.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
weather.gov is just showing a combined 2-6 inches for where I live from tonight through sunday. I guess I'm ok with that. On the one hand I don't want shit to be crazy and my power to be out and all that, but it would have been cool to have a big snow extravaganza to walk around in this weekend. Something like 6-10 inches.

FaintDeftone

I live at the top end of southern Ohio and we're getting a couple inches of snow from this, but if you're in the very southern end of Ohio they're apparently getting hit with about 5-10 inches.

daveo42

Banned
I live at the top end of southern Ohio and we're getting a couple inches of snow from this, but if you're in the very southern end of Ohio they're apparently getting hit with about 5-10 inches.

I'll believe it when I see it. Unless you are talking Eastern Ohio. Us in Western Ohio ain't getting shit.

Icefire1424

Protip from a Northerner with experience dealing with copious amounts of snow, and occasional power outages resulting from it.

If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a gas stove or fireplace, both will work in the event of a power outage. On some models of gas stove the ignition wont work without power, but the burner can still be lit by a match once the gas is turned on. Goes without saying, but always make sure the gas is off when you're done cooking.

Same applies to most gas fireplaces. While most of them nowadays are turned on by a wall switch or remote control, most will have a means to turn them on without power. Some actually have a battery compartment inside the access panel that will power the ignition switch, while some older models require you to open the gas valve and light the pilot by match. Check your manual for details, but good to know in the event the power does go out, and you have either of these in your home.

This tip has been brought to you by Yuengling. America's Oldest Brewery; Since 1829. Enjoy Responsibly.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, if your fireplace DOES have a battery backup, for the love of God don't leave the batteries in at all times. Only insert the batteries when you need 'em. Carry on.

Hmm what can one expect in the pa area? Generally Philadelphia.
I think the most likely current forecast according to weather.gov is 16 inches, supposed to start around 7 pm tonight. That's last I checked.

My boss told us to head out around 12 today (even tho the storm doesn't start until 7) to beat traffic and prepare our houses. Seems kinda silly but I'm not complaining lol

I think the most likely current forecast according to weather.gov is 16 inches, supposed to start around 7 pm tonight. That's last I checked.

My boss told us to head out around 12 today (even tho the storm doesn't start until 7) to beat traffic and prepare our houses. Seems kinda silly but I'm not complaining lol
Hmm nothing from my job yet but if it's that much no way im getting to work to do a 11-7 overnight

North Jersey/NYC metro area here. Absolutely disappointed this'll be starting on Saturday...was hoping to at least get a snow day from it. Now my weekend plans are all messed up, too. Terrible.

I was Yeunglingin before you youngins knew what beer was.

Really though, I bought Yards instead. And a bottle of wine. And a bottle of Four Roses yellow. And some more vermouth.

I totally forgot to buy rock salt though. I think I still have a little though.

So long as I don't lose power and no trees come crashing down on my car or my house, I'm good.

The snow itself is nothing but something to shovel.

It's the tropical storm force winds, ice on the powerlines and tree branches that I'm worried about. Blizzards are nasty storms. Last one I remember I had to climb out my bathroom window to get outside because there was a 3 foot frozen snow/ice drift pressed against my front and back doors. The snow had melted off the roof and dripped down onto the drifts against the door and re-froze. Crazy big icicles too hanging off the roof.

Blizzard's are bad.

Oh you're one of those people. That's the only beer my wife drinks too, that and Kasteel Rouge.

Yards pale ale is meh. Yards ESA, Brawler, and especially Yards Saison are great.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THOSE PEOPLE

But yeah, I quite like it. Nostalgic for friends too. I'll have to get some tasters of those Yards

WedgeX

Banned
Rush hour already started at 11am in DC. Hopefully people get home unlike Wednesday.

And the roads are completely white from salt at present.

Lucreto

My one recommendation for those living in cities though: Get outside in the heart of the blizzard and walk around a little bit, maybe during a lull. It's pretty breathtaking to see the quiet where previously only noise existed - the snow has a stunning muffling effect and cities can look serene and peaceful. It can be almost eerie at times.

That's one of my favorite things about big storms.

Also bring a camera. Take lots of pictures and post them on Gaf.

I am so jealous right now.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Annnnnnd since I'm the only one here, I'm stuck going to get lunch with my boss.

I should've just taken a vacation day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom