• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My office in Atlanta is already freaking out. We just got the email for everyone to get the hell out of here. What happened next was like that Wilde beast stampede from The Lion King.

Yeeeah, that is a not a car designed for the snow...
Heh. Yup. I should be ok though. We had worse storms last year with an inch of ice on the roads and was fine. This is just snow so far.

Fake edit: The girlfriend just texted me. She's coming with the Forester to come get me. Crisis averted.

Chucker

Still no early release from my work. A coworker said her house already lost power on Kent Island which is troubling since NOTHING has started yet, and she lives like 10 minutes away.

since we're posting our snow beer

P1Y5s56.jpg

UEIfOBR.jpg

Nightz

Stay safe, friends!

As someone who moved to MD from California a year and a half ago, I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Mully

If you look below (it's kind of difficult to see) the confluence (dry air that would block the storm's northward advancement for NYC and north) is already pushing off the coast of Maine at out to sea by the end of the clip. This storm is going to move further north than what the models have projected the last few days. Expect a 1 foot + for the NYC metro. DC and Philly still do historically well, but they may be in a dry slot sometime tomorrow afternoon. Central New Jersey could do as well as DC and Philly. Connecticut could see up to a foot.

I'm just waking up and waiting on the EURO run, but if that trends NW like the GFS did, I am very certain of this coming further north than forecasted by the models.

Welp news update for philly septa will be stopping for 24 hours starting 4am tomorrow. My policy is if the buses stop i go nowhere. Not putting my car in danger or me.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you look below (it's kind of difficult to see) the confluence (dry air that would block the storm's northward advancement for NYC and north) is already pushing off the coast of Maine at out to sea by the end of the clip. This storm is going to move further north than what the models have projected the last few days. Expect a 1 foot + for the NYC metro. DC and Philly still do historically well, but they may be in a dry slot sometime tomorrow afternoon. Central New Jersey could do as well as DC and Philly. Connecticut could see up to a foot.

I'm just waking up and waiting on the EURO run, but if that trends NW like the GFS did, I am very certain of this coming further north than forecasted by the models.

DEMON

Are people who want this blizzard also ok with their power (potentially) going out?

Most people who crave and want blizzards tend to be the ones least impacted by massive storms. For example all my friends in NYC love massive storms because, well, they live in huge apartment buildings where threat of power loss and road hazards are greatly minimized relative to people in the burbs.

kaskade

Good, I want some snow. I've been on the border of this storm the whole time. I think if the storm pushes up just say like 30-40 miles I'll be getting a pretty good hit. Maybe even less.

I've given up beer for the time being as part of a diet, and I'm now extremely sad that I can't drink this one out. But like someone said earlier in the thread, if you're not drinking some type of stout this weekend you're doing it wrong. I like Yuengling as much as the next guy but come on, a light lager in a blizzard?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've given up beer for the time being as part of a diet, and I'm now extremely sad that I can't drink this one out. But like someone said earlier in the thread, if you're not drinking some type of stout this weekend you're doing it wrong. I like Yuengling as much as the next guy but come on, a light lager in a blizzard?

Stouts are pretty much the only type of beer I don't enjoy.

Mully

Moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic are really pumping into the storm and the northeast now. Really impressive and reminiscent of the Blizzard of 1996.

1dafe7c77dc8d0514d11b072b6b0d009.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My one recommendation for those living in cities though: Get outside in the heart of the blizzard and walk around a little bit, maybe during a lull. It's pretty breathtaking to see the quiet where previously only noise existed - the snow has a stunning muffling effect and cities can look serene and peaceful. It can be almost eerie at times.

That's one of my favorite things about big storms.
Yup yup, the city is going to be fucking magical tomorrow night.

After the storm when everything is melting and everyone is commuting again and stuff, shit is gross, but at the height of the storm? It's like an alternate dimension of serenity.

Liljagare

I am confused, why buy bread/milk and TP? It's not going to aid you if the power goes out exactly.. :p

Everyone should have canned stuff and a camping kitchen at home instead!!

teiresias

Hampton Roads here. Work closed at 11am, so I went by Target and picked up a Humidifier (since my house is bone dry), some lunch, and I am now lounging watching X-Files. A dusting so far here.

I've got some wine and Blade Runner Blu-Ray for later tonight. Dark Souls 2 on PS4 most of the day tomorrow (maybe some FFVII).

megalowho

It'll make a good chaser while whittling down bottles of Ardbeg. Peaty Whiskey is my main go to snowstorm beverage.

It makes me really sad that I'm no longer in walking distance of a metro station, though I guess it doesn't matter since the metro is closed this weekend anyway. I went to the National Art Gallery in the middle of a snowstorm last year and it was absolutely deserted, it was incredible.

I switched my flight from miami to NYC for Sunday morning. I thought the storm would be more Fri-Sat but now I'm hearing it'll be more Sat to Sun. Really hope I can get back on Sun.

Chucker

Corporate sent out an email saying all offices will be closed tomorrow.
No shit.
"We will keep you updated as for early closing today"

Nobody is coming in, no business is being conducted, let us go maaaaaaan.

Nipo

Still no snow in DC proper. Went home from work and red line was packed at noon with 12 minutes between trains.

Alucrid

Banned
Getting out of work at 6 today hope I can beat the snow on my way home. Last year when I drove in the snow I couldn't get up a hill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom