• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

Fuuuuckk.

I don't want to spend Sunday morning cleaning snow. Need this shit to die! I'm just going to pay someone, fuck that shit.

SheHateMe

National Harbor checking in: the first snow flakes are starting to fall.

I'm bunkered down with a case of Not Your Father's Ginger Ale and both my 3DS and PS Vita charged, along with portable batteries.

I'm as ready as one can be.

First snow bands are already filling in:

wpvi_f_1_1280.jpg

NOTE: this is a live grab (with a 15 minute censor delay). It updates every 3 to 5 minutes. Refresh to see latest image.

dreamgiver032

Neo Member
As someone who lives along the Great Lakes, and used to lake effect every other day (just got 36 inches within two days last week), I find the national media covering this storm, both fun and funny. Hang in there guys... it's just snow. I love a good old-fashioned, hunker down blizzard... so much fun to be had!!! Enjoy!

kaskade

I'm figuring out how to kind of look at these map things.

I did the 24 hour precip on a two day loop. The GFS model from 12 UTC today vs the 6 UTC earlier today is pushing it up north like Mully said.

Hopefully I'm actually looking at it right.

Kingbrave

It had stopped snowing for a few hours and now it's pouring down again. We aren't supposed to get as much as you NOVA guys and gals are though.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So I just found out the restaurant Iwork at is staying open. Should be fun trying to get through a foot of snow when I get off of work tonight.

I'm basically fucked and annoyed.

As someone who lives along the Great Lakes, and used to lake effect every other day (just got 36 inches within two days last week), I find the national media covering this storm, both fun and funny. Hang in there guys... it's just snow. I love a good old-fashioned, hunker down blizzard... so much fun to be had!!! Enjoy!

Do we really need to go over the differences between regions

Jarrod38

Living in Central Ohio is great. Everybody goes into panic mode buying them food thinking they're going to get snowed in for a month.

Catdaddy

Well... I guess we are on the tail end of it. but here in Nashville started snowing at 6am expected through the day.. expected to have 7+ inches when all is done (never seen that much snow in all my years here). Considering we don't have any decent snow removal equipment all we can do is wait for warmer temps..

Feel for those in the worst of it, and for fucks sake stay home if you dont have to get out...

kaskade

So I'm reading about the GFS vs NAM so why was it being hated on before? From what I've looked at GFS is better for the long term but NAM is better for short term since it's more high res?

Mully

The NAM's wind field projections. The tighter the gradient, the higher the winds. Sustained winds could be very high for the coasts.
80a511aae28350f46ace2da82e62c0e1.png

So I'm reading about the GFS vs NAM so why was it being hated on before? From what I've looked at GFS is better for the long term but NAM is better for short term since it's more high res?

Are you asking why the NAM was being dunked on, or why the GFS was being hated on?

Well it looks like I'll get to Wilmington and then be stuck there, at least until tomorrow and maybe till Sunday. The wife isn't thrilled with the "then I'll drive home, in the dark, through ice encrusted roads" plan.

so generally what we've seen most of the week surprisingly. I'm impressed at how consistent things have been with this storm.

Yea, the only change really is that the snow is starting about 4 hours earlier than expected.

I'm still curious to see if that jackpot zone stretches more northeastward through Philly and across jersey into NYC.

They've been expecting a drying slot in that area, but if the snow is starting to fill in this early...

The NAM has a history of blowing things out of proportion.

Reposting this radar gif again. It's dynamic so it will update every 15 minutes if you refresh it.

fcx_None_anim.gif

And thats not even the real storm that it will develop once its offshore.

Kelia

Trying to convince my boyfriend to call out of work since he works overnight at a retail store stocking. But that's not happening unless his work calls him to tell him not to come in. =\

He has a crappy car, plus walking home isn't going to be a fun or a safe option if it is blizzard conditions tomorrow morning when he gets off.

/rant

The NAM's wind field projections. The tighter the gradient, the higher the winds. Sustained winds could be very high for the coasts.

There are flood and strong gale warnings up all along the Jersey coast.

It'll feel like a Tropical Storm tonight into tomorrow, only with snow and sleet instead of rain. And it's near Full-Moon which means higher than usual tides too.

Going to be lots of flooding and beach erosion.

Nipo

Yup, I see the same. Flurries in Chinatown now. I'm going to the Caps game tonight. We'll see how much of a shitshow that is.

Yup, snowing in Kalorama too. A dusting is just starting to cover the sidewalk anywhere people didn't salt.

People seem to be taking this as their last chance to walk the dog judging by the number of dogwalkers going by my house.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am not liking how that wind thing looks. Westchester NY looks almost as bad as LI

Wish i knew how to read all of that lol. Weather gaf help me out here for my location im putting faith in you and the news. Philadelphia on a scale from 1-10

kaskade

Are you asking why the NAM was being dunked on, or why the GFS was being hated on?

Wasn't it the nam that was hated on? Maybe I'm misremembering. What's generally regarded as the best model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom