• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laoni

I head over to weather.com to check the radars and stuff and I get this under the radar...

pQEZNoK.png

:|

NO I REALLY DON'T THINK IT IS

Shameful that an NHL game is cancelled due to cold weather.

Are there even going to be any bars open tonight?

My favorite bar (Mandu) claimed it'll be open no matter what, but we'll see. They also promised free fried chicken and dumplings. I don't expect anything to be open past this evening, honestly.

Retro

As someone who lives along the Great Lakes, and used to lake effect every other day (just got 36 inches within two days last week), I find the national media covering this storm, both fun and funny. Hang in there guys... it's just snow. I love a good old-fashioned, hunker down blizzard... so much fun to be had!!! Enjoy!

Yep, I grew up in Northern Indiana where all the lake effect from Lake Michigan would get dumped and we had our fair share of snow storms and blizzards (especially 1999), so a ton of snow in a short amount of time isn't anything new. When I moved out to the Mid-Atlantic I was shocked by how little snow it takes to put people in a panic and the way they clean out the store shelves is just amusing. In their defense, however, the snow crews out here are absolutely shit in comparison so it doesn't surprise me that everything shuts down. Out west they're ready to go days in advance, here it seems like just getting all the roads treated before it hits is a miracle

The NAM's wind field projections. The tighter the gradient, the higher the winds. Sustained winds could be very high for the coasts.
80a511aae28350f46ace2da82e62c0e1.png

Delaware / Maryland beaches are going to get eroded to hell from the look of things. Doesn't help that it's a full moon Sunday so the water's already way up there.

O lord i hate snow so much and this is at 7 correct.

I've heard between 6-7pm all day today, but it looks like some is starting to move in earlier than expected, and even though that's not the 'main event' it's still going to be a problem. Heavier stuff might hold off until after 7, but if you can leave now, I'd say go for it.

As someone who lives along the Great Lakes, and used to lake effect every other day (just got 36 inches within two days last week), I find the national media covering this storm, both fun and funny. Hang in there guys... it's just snow. I love a good old-fashioned, hunker down blizzard... so much fun to be had!!! Enjoy!

Lake effect snow areas are used to snow and no offense to Buffalo/Erie/Cleveland but they aren't quite comparable to Wash/Balt/Philly/NYC area...It's just a matter of the scope of the effects.

VanWinkle

Been snowing for two hours where I am in WV. It's not crazy or anything right now; probably 1.5-2 inches, but the roads are already covered.

IMAG0344fixed.jpg

Nipo

Roads in DC have a solid covering now and traffic is already starting to back up in the normal placing.If you're still at work leave now if you can.

it wasn't the snowiest. it was the most clusterfucked as far as infrastructure and accidents and people stranded, but it wasn't the biggest snowfall I remember.

we've had 4-5 foot snowfalls before, and taller than that before I was born. I remember getting dressed in 3 layers of sweats and then a heavy coat and boots and we would just lay down in the snow and roll in it. The sledding was amazing.

It was technically the snowiest:

imrs.php

akira28

It was technically the snowiest:

imrs.php

I'd have to ask the capital weather gang if it was dc proper, dc area, or reagan national airport weather station measurements, before I comment.

dc doesn't get as much snow as its local surrounding areas

I could drive, but the jackasses are plentiful on the roads right now. I can trust me, but I can't count on them. I need supplies/liquor.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As a grown man that has to shovel his whole property, I love snow. Winter just ain't right without it. Cannot wait.

I have a quarter mile long driveway up a fairly steep hillside, so snow can sometimes really be a pain for me. This is going to be drifty too with all the wind, so keeping my driveway open is going to be a challenge with my little 1972 Bolens yard tractor. Sometimes when it gets too deep my little tractor just can't move it all, lol.

Those are max snowfalls. Please make sure you check the maps.

This map is the, "most likely," snowfall map according to Mt. Holly.

Yep, I did say they was the max potential map Mully. The most likely map increased amounts too.

Would expect to see your totals increase soon too in the next hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom