• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very helpful - thanks! Looks like it wasn't such a dumb question.

Potentially. There is a side addition that's one-story against the two-story house, so snow could build up on the roof of the addition against the second story wall.

Just be safe and smart if you go up. Also take into consideration the sun and how it hits your house.

marrec

Banned
That's very helpful - thanks! Looks like it wasn't such a dumb question.

Potentially. There is a side addition that's one-story against the two-story house, so snow could build up on the roof of the addition against the second story wall.
Get a roof rake. You don't have to worry about the weight of the snow but as your house melts the snow it will likely turn to ice and create an ice dam. That can cause damage to your roof if left all winter.

They make rakes specifically for clearing off roofs of snow.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-17-ft-Snow-Roof-Rake-1634500/100325744

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Welp it's started to flurry here in Berks County, PA. Just a dusting so far but we all know it won't stay that way. It's also eerily still outside, no wind at all right now. Like the calm before a hurricane...

Fat4all

Banned
This is our Everest

N8VxoKJ.gif

Watevaman

Oh yeah I'm not climbing out on the roof. I have a window with good access to push stuff away from that wall with a long shovel if it really accumulates.

Just for information, back in the 90s when we had that big blizzard that put down like 3 or 4 feet of snow, we didn't do anything to our roof and it was fine. Our roof was about 8 years old at that time.

My in-laws moved to a town east of Nashville. Fun city. Had a great drunk night out, then a nice breakfast and walk at the art museum in the old postal building the next day. Hangover burgers at The Pharmacy on the way home. Too bad it will all go away in this snow. :(

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Love all the snow pictures - so jealous of you out on the East coast who get to experience this. Wish I was there.

It's pretty light snow right now. I go out every hour or two to sweep my walkway. Figured that's better than trying to handle 2 feet of snow at once.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
That would be a record for Baltimore and the biggest storm total for DC since 1922. If that actually happens.

Fuck me wish I was back in MD for this shit. Rochester gets a foot dumped on it every week and it ain't no thang.

I want to see the panic and chaos and shitty driving at work in my home state again.

FTF

NYer here, got a pizza, some beer, movies and games and waiting for the snow...as long as I don't lose power I'm all set till Sunday.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Already did 2 rounds of shoveling and about to go for the 3rd and possibly last round tonight. This mothafucka seems never ending at the moment lol.

So funny
and probably stupid
story about snow on the roof. Back in the early 90s when I lived in Poughkeepsie, in a ranch my wife and I owned, we had a blizzard. 2+ feet of snow. The house was old, built in the 40s, and even though we'd replaced the shingles, we were worried about the weight.

So my brother and his wife were in town. He and I get up on the roof and start sliding snow off. Somewhere in this work effort, we decided to slide two whole 90 degree angle sections onto the patio. So we get this huge pile of snow on the patio, a good 4-5 feet high... And proceeded to jump off the roof into it. Then clamber back onto the roof and do it again.

Good times.

Already did 2 rounds of shoveling and about to go for the 3rd and possibly last round tonight. This mothafucka seems never ending at the moment lol.
What's the best strategy here? Shovel many times so it never gets too deep? Or just wait until tomorrow morning? For the latter, less ground to cover but more snow to lift.

What's the best strategy here? Shovel many times so it never gets too deep? Or just wait until tomorrow morning? For the latter, less ground to cover but more snow to lift.

That's pretty much my strategy. Tomorrow morning will be painful as hell, but I can lessen that burden with a few 10 minutes shots tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom