• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12-18 now

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Yes, it's the maximum potential. But it has increased by 5 inches from the previous maximum potential map.
I will cry

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That maximum NY map is bonkers. 2 FEET FOR EVERYONE! Would be crazy if it happened.

rezn0r

weird watching this from the outside up here in Boston especially after last year. good luck everyone, stock up on your booze & games!

Retro

Philly storm total just went up:

OMG that wind!

It's supposed to be fairly wet snow too (meaning it's heavier and sticks to things, like trees and power lines), so with that wind blowing in outages are a lot more likely.

A few tidbits I've picked up over the years for outages;

• Candles are kind of bad. If you can't get anything else, that's fine, but an open flame is always risky (especially if you have pets).
  • Deck of cards. Seriously.
  • Don't forget non-drinking water to flush your toilets with; once the tank is empty it can't refill so you'll need to do it somehow. Fill your bathtub, or use garbage cans (as long as they don't leak, obviously). I keep plastic kitty litter containers under the sinks out of habit. If you're lucky enough to have two bathrooms, pick which one is for which bodily function before you start using them. Bachelor Frog rules apply; if it's yellow, let it mellow. You don't have a lot of water to work with.
  • Four hours is about the longest you want your fridge to be without power before stuff starts going bad. 24 hours for your freezer. Move your meats to the lowest shelf and put 'em in a tray to avoid them leaking as they thaw. Don't open it, obviously.
  • Remember; it's fuckin' cold outside, if you need to keep your Yuengling frosty cold, use your balcony or a handy snow drift.

Also, quoting this again for visibility;

Protip from a Northerner with experience dealing with copious amounts of snow, and occasional power outages resulting from it.

If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a gas stove or fireplace, both will work in the event of a power outage. On some models of gas stove the ignition wont work without power, but the burner can still be lit by a match once the gas is turned on. Goes without saying, but always make sure the gas is off when you're done cooking.

Same applies to most gas fireplaces. While most of them nowadays are turned on by a wall switch or remote control, most will have a means to turn them on without power. Some actually have a battery compartment inside the access panel that will power the ignition switch, while some older models require you to open the gas valve and light the pilot by match. Check your manual for details, but good to know in the event the power does go out, and you have either of these in your home.

This tip has been brought to you by Yuengling. America's Oldest Brewery; Since 1829. Enjoy Responsibly.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, if your fireplace DOES have a battery backup, for the love of God don't leave the batteries in at all times. Only insert the batteries when you need 'em. Carry on.

What were they talking about mixing tonight in DC? It's nowhere neeeaaaaar warm enough for that.

I guess there is a chance that slightly warmer air at 850mb might push further west and cause some mixing for a time early tomorrow morning. But I think it's more likely you'll get all snow.

Chucker

Finally home.
Grabbed 2 pizzas for the fam, some Yuengling because reasons and Leinenkugel cranberry ginger something or other because it looked festive.
Let it snow, SnowGAF.

rezn0r

We're still safe in Boston right? Just a couple inches or has the storm turned north?

as far as I know we're barely getting anything

I have people visiting from out of town tomorrow with dinner plans, so while I'm used to and don't mind a bundle of snow, I wouldn't mind it laying off us this weekend

georly

I'd say I've got about three inches where I am in NoVa. Not bad. The plows are already struggling to keep up.

Yeah same. Plows aren't doing crap to the streets. I've been shoveling a path to my car and then the snow behind my car about every hour. We'll see how long that keeps up.

kaskade

I looked at the latest GFS and if I'm looking at it right it looks like it shifted north even more putting me in the danger more.

ryseing

I think it's somewhere in NC, yeah.

The one I posted earlier? Yep, Raleigh.

Snow+ ice does crazy shit here.

My whole family lives just south of Raleigh NC in Clayton. My best friend and his gf are visiting my parents and brother for the weekend and are supposed to go to the Hurricanes vs. Rangers game tonight at 7pm(I still live on Suffolk LI and we're all die hard Rangers fans).

They're saying the roads are "fine" while on every report and news channel and radars I'm looking at has them covered in ice and freezing rain. I wish they would put aside their NY arrogance and just decide it's not worth risking going to the game. People down there panic like crazy and there are accidents on top of accidents when there is just one flurry in the sky...

Dunno maybe just venting out a little, just worried for my family :-/

FWIW I live 10 minutes from PNC, my roommate has tickets, and he isn't going. Not worth it with how badly the roads are iced.

Roanoke VA checking in, we've got 7-8 inches on the ground already. After it slowed considerably for the last hour or two, it's now dumping large snowflakes

Being up in the NH boonies, I'm used to being the target of so many of these big storms...but not this time, ha suckers! Although, they did talk about potential flurries.

Anyhoo, stay safe affected folks!

esms

Just a friendly PSA to all the dog owners out there because I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

Rock salt, when caught in between paw pads, can lead to chemical burns if left there. Please be sure to check your dog's paws after they come in.

My fiance is stuck in the Baltimore airport right now waiting for a flight attendant crew because the current one is having some sort of labor dispute and left. They are hoping to get her flight out asap. Really worried. :(

Ok this is a dumb question but I'm a first-time homeowner here. Do I just let all this (15-20") snow sit on my roof? It's got a decent pitch but I have to imagine it will get covered pretty deep and that stuff gets heavy. Roof is pretty new - less than 10 years.

Fat4all

Banned
Ok this is a dumb question but I'm a first-time homeowner here. Do I just let all this (15-20") snow sit on my roof? It's got a decent pitch but I have to imagine it will get covered pretty deep and that stuff gets heavy. Roof is pretty new - less than 10 years.

How well insulated is your attic?

Are there any spots where it looks like the snow can build up super high from drifts? Our old condo would get huge drifts because of all the pitches and cuts. Never had a problem.

I'd just be mindful of ice damning.

Retro

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/roofing-gutters-siding/snow-removal-roof/

For what it's worth, this storm is supposed to produce wet, heavy snow so... that's a factor.
That's very helpful - thanks! Looks like it wasn't such a dumb question.

Are there any spots where it looks like the snow can build up super high from drifts? Our old condo would get huge drifts because of all the pitches and cuts. Never had a problem.

I'd just be mindful of ice damning.

Potentially. There is a side addition that's one-story against the two-story house, so snow could build up on the roof of the addition against the second story wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom