• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best strategy here? Shovel many times so it never gets too deep? Or just wait until tomorrow morning? For the latter, less ground to cover but more snow to lift.

For me where it's going to be a mix of snow and rain it's a matter of getting as much moved before it all turns into super dense mounds of snow. Worse, it freezes at the front of the drive way.

It really depends on how hard it's falling though. In 2009-2010 I just couldn't keep up with how fast it was falling. I'd shovel half the driveway and the area where I started had another 1-2" on it. Other times where it's just a slow slog of snow it's easier to go out and just keep on top so you don't end up doing so much in one shot.

For me where it's going to be a mix of snow and rain it's a matter of getting as much moved before it all turns into super dense mounds of snow. Worse, it freezes at the front of the drive way.

It really depends on how hard it's falling though. In 2009-2010 I just couldn't keep up with how fast it was falling. I'd shovel half the driveway and the area where I started had another 1-2" on it. Other times where it's just a slow slog of snow it's easier to go out and just keep on top so you don't end up doing so much in one shot.

Shoveling every few hours is the way to go, you don't want to give yourself a heart attack lifting huge mounds of snow.

Retro

Yeah, so far it seems to be fairly light, dry snow here (south of Philly), but when it changes over to the heavier wet stuff it's going to be a pain to shovel. Lots of little scoops during the day is better than waiting for your 4 o'clock meeting with a hernia. That also lowers how much time you're exposed to the cold.

Shoveling every few hours is the way to go, you don't want to give yourself a heart attack lifting huge mounds of snow.

Yeah, especially when it has a chance to be wet. Sometimes you're kind of SOL because it might not get bad until 1-2am, but if you can stay a bit on top of it so you're not waking up to 12+ it's worth it.

WedgeX

Banned
Started my documentation of the storm's progression. Still pretty light winds, got a few inches earlier and did my first shoveling in a few years.

apoyyvO.jpg

Four blocks from the Capitol building pre-storm.

At about 6pm tonight.

Capitol Building is looking pretty neat.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
What's the best strategy here? Shovel many times so it never gets too deep? Or just wait until tomorrow morning? For the latter, less ground to cover but more snow to lift.
I'm personally shoveling every 3-4 hours cause I don't really wanna deal with 35"+ of snow all at once. My back and heart will hate me for it. This way is much more manageable and feels like an OK workout as well w/out killing myself lol.

WedgeX

Banned
I'm personally shoveling every 3-4 hours cause I don't really wanna deal with 35"+ of snow all at once. My back and heart will hate me for it. This way is much more manageable and feels like an OK workout as well w/out killing myself lol.

Doing the same. I used to be able to handle it...but man getting old is the worst.

Chucker

The wind is really kicking in over here on the Eastern Shore. Shit's getting crazy.
Edit: RE Keeping on top of it, my kids were keeping me from doing that so I'm prepping for the worst in the morning.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Doing the same. I used to be able to handle it...but man getting old is the worst.
I hear you loud and clear on this one. Feels bad man lol.
Used to clear out the entire block and our street like it was nothing but gotta pace myself now. Can't put too much strain all at once.

So funny
and probably stupid
story about snow on the roof. Back in the early 90s when I lived in Poughkeepsie, in a ranch my wife and I owned, we had a blizzard. 2+ feet of snow. The house was old, built in the 40s, and even though we'd replaced the shingles, we were worried about the weight.

So my brother and his wife were in town. He and I get up on the roof and start sliding snow off. Somewhere in this work effort, we decided to slide two whole 90 degree angle sections onto the patio. So we get this huge pile of snow on the patio, a good 4-5 feet high... And proceeded to jump off the roof into it. Then clamber back onto the roof and do it again.

Good times.

Yeahhhhh. I did this when I was a kid with my brothers off our parents garage roof. Though we used the roof as a slide and fell off the edge into snow.

In Montgomery County Maryland over here and I have been going out every 3 hours to shovel. The snow coming down now is a wet snow that's really hard to get shoveled. I recommend everyone do as much as they can before we get hit real hard around 12 am. I just hope the power keeps up during the strong winds. Being stuck in the house doesn't bother me if we have heat and electricity.

InfernoNR

It finally began in eastern PA for me about an hour ago. So HYPED for a huge storm like this. Looks just like 1996 at this point. Stay safe east coast gaf.

georly

In Montgomery County Maryland over here and I have been going out every 3 hours to shovel. The snow coming down now is a wet snow that's really hard to get shoveled. I recommend everyone do as much as they can before we get hit real hard around 12 am. I just hope the power keeps up during the strong winds. Being stuck in the house doesn't bother me if we have heat and electricity.

Yeah, i've been shoveling every 2 hours and this last one was ROUGH. Super heavy snow now, back was killing me by the end. I've been up since 4 am to go to work (went to bed at midnight last night, after working late) so i'm about ready to pass out. I'm guessing all my hard work so far has been for nothing. I didn't get any beer because I'm not a fan of drinking alone, but my back wishes I had.

I'll do one more before I go to bed, but tomorrow is going to be rough as hell.

Updated snow progress from me (noon through 9pm, Loudoun county VA):

Yeah, i've been shoveling every 2 hours and this last one was ROUGH. Super heavy snow now, back was killing me by the end. I've been up since 4 am to go to work (went to bed at midnight last night, after working late) so i'm about ready to pass out. I'm guessing all my hard work so far has been for nothing. I didn't get any beer because I'm not a fan of drinking alone, but my back wishes I had.

I'll do one more before I go to bed, but tomorrow is going to be rough as hell.

Updated snow progress from me (noon through 9pm, Loudoun county VA):

That's the thing once the Blizzard really hits at 12 am it's could be coming down 2 inches and hour about. I'm gonna get out one more time I think before midnight and get some more done.

I grew up in western New York State, so weather like this is pretty unremarkable to me. Still, it was nice to get off of work a few hours earlier than usual.

georly

That's the thing once the Blizzard really hits at 12 am it's could be coming down 2 inches and hour about. I'm gonna get out one more time I think before midnight and get some more done.

If I had help, this would be manageable, but i've been up 18 hours now and I can't stay up all night ;_; Oh well. Good luck to you and your shoveling.

coopolon

I'm waiting until Sunday when it's all over. I have a snow thrower, it's actually kind of a pain in the ass to use, so I'd rather just spend a 3-4 hours worrying with it once. Then just an easy pass with the shovel picking up the leftovers.

It's not going to be fun though.

FLEABttn

Banned
Here's my progression throughout the day in Reston:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cAzUNZS.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2nEfvVv.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/n0OTBgN.jpg[/IMG]

PopeReal

Power's gone. Fortunately I thought to charge my laptop/3DS. Don't expect it to come back until at least the morning.

I also keep gameboys and batteries on hand just in case.

How many inches over there now? Oregon has no snow and is boring (at least here).

Wagram

Always interesting to read threads like these. Some states closing down over an inch and others freaking out over a foot. That's nothing where I am, but it really all comes down to the state being prepared to deal with it.

FTF

Power's gone. Fortunately I thought to charge my laptop/3DS. Don't expect it to come back until at least the morning.

That sucks...that's really my only worry. I don't care if I'm snowed in all weekend, as long as the power doesn't go out. Hope you get yours back soon.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just happened to look at the forecast map for NY to see if any changes have been made.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Aww yeahhhh. Two feet here we come!

georly

oh no, that sucks. Hope it doesn't happen to me. I have 2 backup phone batteries just in case (and my 3DS - laptop is broken, so phone/3DS only for me)

Latest from me:

CZYIMoAWkAAtJbu.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom