• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wireless networking help PLEASE!

Slo

Ok, a few weeks ago I asked your advice on wireless networking. Now, I've gone and purchased a 802.11g wireless router, access point, and NIC (all NetGear). My router works great, and I was immediately able to get a connection with my NIC on my laptop, but the access point is being a pain in my ballsack. In fact, I'm not sure if an AP is even the device I need for what I want to do. Basically, I want to set my AP on top of my TV, have it pick up my wireless connection that my router is broadcasting, and output it in the form of an wired connection that I can hook directly to my PS2 or Xbox.

The problem is that the installation manual for it assumes the access point will be used to turn a wired connection into a wireless one. As in, I'll plug a live Ethernet cable into the Lan port of my AP and it will broadcast signal to wireless devices. I want it to do exactly the opposite! I have no ethernet connection near my TV, that's the very problem I'm trying to solve! So am I screwed? Do I need some other device to accomplish this task? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is the user manual for my access point.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602v2_user_manual.pdf

carpal

I'm pretty sure what you want is a wireless bridge, as an access point does indeed do something else from what I remember.

Slo

My AP does have a bridge mode, but I don't know how to set it up. Can anyone confirm this is what I need to do?

tenchir

Once you set it to bridge mode, you would have to enter the SSID and WEP keys(if you using WEP), the AP will then pick up the signal.

You'll have to configure it via a web browser. The Manual should tell you the net address to use to connect directly to the AP.

Slo

Ok, before it got too late last night I was able to configure my access point a bit using the web browser, but I'm not fully there yet. I set up my AP to act as a bridge and I entered my router's MAC address as the source it should connect to. The AP's web page immediately began reporting signal strength from that source, so I thought I was golden. However, I'm still not able to use the internet in wired devices connected to my access point. Do I need to enable bridging in my router and enter my AP's MAC address, or is it likely a SSID issue?

Slo

CVXFREAK said:
Wireless networking is so damn confusing I'm surprised I managed to set mine up.

So what are you saying? That I'm even dumber then you are?!? You go to hell. You got to hell and you die!

j/k

cvxfreak

Slo said:
So what are you saying? That I'm even dumber then you are?!? You go to hell. You got to hell and you die!

j/k

Heh heh. :p

It took me a few days to hook mine up. I hated absolutely every step of it - the constant Low connections, the constant breakdowns. It's all good to go now... but those first days annoyed me. I feel your pain. =/

jedimike

Slo said:
Ok, before it got too late last night I was able to configure my access point a bit using the web browser, but I'm not fully there yet. I set up my AP to act as a bridge and I entered my router's MAC address as the source it should connect to. The AP's web page immediately began reporting signal strength from that source, so I thought I was golden. However, I'm still not able to use the internet in wired devices connected to my access point. Do I need to enable bridging in my router and enter my AP's MAC address, or is it likely a SSID issue?

I think you're set... it's probably something simple at this point. My guess is that you enabled encryption on your router but you didn't set the encryption on your access point or you typed it in wrong or something.

Slo

Ok, I've made some progress. My security settings, my channel settings, and my SSID settings are all just fine and dandy, the problem happened to be that I can't plug my Xbox directly into my AP, I either needed a crossover cable or a router to cross the signal, so I plugged in my router. Now, when I sign onto Xbox Live my IPs are resolved but I time out when trying to resolve DNS settings.

My ISP has this troubleshooting guide for the DNS error. The solution is to have my xbox sign on with the same MAC address that my PC has. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas?

Flynn

Bump this baby.

I have a feeling I'm gonna need this thread when I get my Wireless Router in then next couple of weeks.

jedimike

Damn slo... how did you get your shit so messed up? I'm stumped. I use a wireless ethernet bridge that I plug my Xbox directly into. No need for crossover cables.

Go to DSLreports.com and search around on those forums, you might turn up something. When you start replicating MAC addresses, things can get messy.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Hmmm, this thread will probably be useful to me too.

I just got wired linksys router, but now I'm thinking I should have gone wireless. So hopefully I can still return it, or maybe break it a little bit then return it. Works out cheaper than keeping the router (which I paid £40 for) and then buying a WAP which is like another £50 and then some wireless cards which are like another £40 each. I could have just gotten a wireless router/access point + a laptop wireless card for £95.

These wireless game adapters are bloody expensive too though. Can you do streaming and FTPing wirelessly on a modded XBox? Because that's an incentive to me, cos I don't have a TV here anymore, so no more movie streaming for me. Streaming to the downstairs TV would be awesome.

Flynn

I'm wondering; do products like the Wireles Game Adapter you mentioned have more than one output?

I'm getting to the point where I have at least three machines downstairs I'd like to have hooked to the internet.

Slo

They have one output. I'll either disconnect/reconnect as necessary or I'll use my wired router. Those are only like $30 these days.

Flynn

Looks like a standard wired router will be my answer to that problem.

I don't want to plug and unplug all the time, especially considering the whole Live Aware aspect of Xbox. It would be a hassle to move the plug every time I play the Box.

Slo

My adapter came today. I took it out of the box, changed the SSID to NETGEAR and it just plain worked. :D Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

Top Bottom