• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

<3 viveks86 sweetfx settings, game looks WAY better. Though I did add SMAA it was great overall

17879120529_c6ba085a36_o.jpg

Ehhh.... this looks terrible. Do you hate colors? The game has great and believable colors, why would anyone want them to be changed to the typical grey brown art style?

Ehhh.... this looks terrible. Do you hate colors? The game has great and believable colors, why would anyone want them to be changed to the typical grey brown art style?

I can definitely appreciate the cold gritty look for dark fantasy, but I'm not really a fan of this particular implementation. Been using the "1k times better" profile (use it on GTA V and its gorgeous). Definitely more vibrant than vanilla. with a nice clean blue haze tint when looking out towards the horizon. To each their own though.

Maels

Banned

I agree, I've tried the 3 most popular SweetFX settings and I think the game looks better without any of them turned on, especially in both lighting extreme areas like very dark tombs or middle of the day, bright villages.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm having a weird bug or computer issue. Twice, after initiating a dialogue with an NPC, my monitor goes black. The sound continues and the game seems to still be going as I hear sound effects when cycling through the dialogue choices with the gamepad. I tried pressing alt+tab, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+enter, alt+f4... nothing worked and I had do a hard reboot by pressing a button on the computer tower. Any ideas what could be happening?

I was having this problem too. I had to change to full screen, set FPS to unlimited, turn V-sync on, and disabled hairworks and it hasn't happened to me since. On 970 with latest drivers.

Hell yes, got it working thanks!!!!!

Great!
Glad to help.

Using this one will make it work. https://1fichier.com/?mfz4tb0wen

Wow, this is what I need. Thanks.

That shot is by chance taken in a withered vegetation area. The sweetfx do have colors, actually.
In fact, vanilla colors are just too brown/orange-ish for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Could someone with the 1.03 patch, preferable someone who hasn't been making too many (or any) config tweaks, please copy/paste their config file data? It can be found in Documents/The Witcher 3, and it's called user

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Could someone with the 1.03 patch, preferable someone who hasn't been making too many (or any) config tweaks, please copy/paste their config file data? It can be found in Documents/The Witcher 3, and it's called user

Here is mine, haven't touched any settings that aren't in the game menus

http://pastebin.com/suctx4z8

UnrealEck

Just delete the file. The game will make a new one.

I agree, I've tried the 3 most popular SweetFX settings and I think the game looks better without any of them turned on, especially in both lighting extreme areas like very dark tombs or middle of the day, bright villages.

Base color is too orangey for me. New version of 1k better softens harshness of shadows which is a huge plus for me. Spent way too much time fiddling with TV and nvidia color settings thinking my display was the issue. Can't stand hard blacks like that for shadows.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Great!
Glad to help.

Wow, this is what I need. Thanks.

That shot is by chance taken in a withered vegetation area. The sweetfx do have colors, actually.

In fact, vanilla colors are just too brown/orange-ish for me.

Ah okay, thanks for the information.

But I still think the original colors are looking better and more vibrant. This SweetFX modification is basically one step into generic fantasy art style. But to each their own I guess.

TheTurboFD

I can definitely appreciate the cold gritty look for dark fantasy, but I'm not really a fan of this particular implementation. Been using the "1k times better" profile (use it on GTA V and its gorgeous). Definitely more vibrant than vanilla. with a nice clean blue haze tint when looking out towards the horizon. To each their own though.

It was just a time of day that I took the screenshot. Here's skellige at a different time of day

18066054692_80edac7067_o.jpg

Base color is too orangey for me. New version of 1k better softens harshness of shadows which is a huge plus for me. Spent way too much time fiddling with TV and nvidia color settings thinking my display was the issue. Can't stand hard blacks like that for shadows.

Ah okay, thanks for the information.

But I still think the original colors are looking better and more vibrant. This SweetFX modification is basically one step into generic fantasy art style. But to each their own I guess.

I guess I'm not the only one who think the vanilla color is too orangey.
But yeah, to each their own indeed.

EatChildren

So yeah, looks like setting GrassDensity= over 2400 (Ultra) is still busted for me in some parts of the game, causing grass to flicker in and out of existence. What a shame.

EatChildren

it stopped flickering for me with foliage distance on ultra

That's what I mean. Ultra is fine, the value is 2400, and there's no flicker. But you can increase grass density by tweaking the config file. 3600 looks really nice, but people had flickering problems, that the patch was supposed to fix:

Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed

hermeslyre

Neo Member
So yeah, looks like setting GrassDensity= over 2400 (Ultra) is still busted for me in some parts of the game, causing grass to flicker in and out of existence. What a shame.

I haven't noticed any flickering on my end. Been at 3000 since launch. I've only explored a portion of Velen so far though.

dragn

That's what I mean. Ultra is fine, the value is 2400, and there's no flicker. But you can increase grass density by tweaking the config file. 3600 looks really nice, but people had flickering problems, that the patch was supposed to fix:
yes i had flicker with 9600 grass density, but then changing the ingame foliage distance to ultra fixed it for me

EatChildren

I haven't noticed any flickering on my end. Been at 3000 since launch. I've only explored a portion of Velen so far though.

Tried 3000 and it was still problematic, so I've dropped down to 2400 Ultra value. At 3600 most 99% of Valen was perfect. But I've hit problems in Skellige.

I wonder what causes the issue; budget or accuracy. Budget limits might cull certain grass types as more comes into frame. Alternatively, accuracy issues of the procedural grass rendering could be causing some grass to render over others.

Wish I could up the density, but yeah, cant handle the pop-in.

yes i had flicker with 9600 grass density, but then changing the ingame foliage distance to ultra fixed it for me

Density versus draw distance I guess. Going with the latter. Would rather see the grass rendered further than thicker.

How would a 770m run this?

Depends on what your expecting. I have a 765m and finally got it running to a point I think is acceptable. Frame rate varies from 30-60 with the rare drop to 25ish in a few spots (such as a small part of a bigger city).

Its its 1366 x 768. I have AA on, vignette on, textures on high and water on high. Everything else is low. Then I had to go into the INI and lower the grass and foliage generation even lower and reduce foliage shadow generation to get the results in frame rate I was happy with.

Been playing about 13 hours and been having great fun. Not a single crash and game still looks great.

Your card is faster so you should at least be able to get what I'm getting. However I still think my card is underperformimg and it could be this Kepler issue that people have been discussing.

My laptop, until this game has always been able to out perform the xbox one and is a touch weaker than ps4. But that isn't being reflected here. I should be able to at least go 900p, turn on bloom, SSAO and increase foliage spawn distance a bit more and get 30-40 fps, but I can't. Ends up being about 18-35 like that.

Still I'm happy playing it as is. Be interesting to see if a driver update helps.

If you get it and can't get the right INI settings I'll post mine and you can tweak further.

red731

Changed the res from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 on my 7970GHz 3GB, i7 3770k@4.4, 16GB RAM playing at 40" TV and now running at nearly all the time 60fps with occasional drops.

Looking forward to a CDPR patch that may up the performace and WAITING for AMD drivers....

Brakus

Banned
So is it the general opinion that overclocking is off the table? I've massively reduced my clocks, and it still crashes, only when I run at stock the game is perfect........

ru55lee

Neo Member
OK so since launch I have had 0 crashes but as of today I have had 5-6 crashes since I have arrived at Crookback Bog. I am trying to fight a Witcher Contract in that area and my computer keeps crashing and resets itself while I try to fight it.

Also crashed a few times before that Contract but my crashes have only happened since this area :/

Iceternal

Any way to improve the quality of shadows with tweaks ?

In cutscenes and dialogues shadows from trees projected on characters look bad and blurry... Is it possible to improve them to remove this blurry effect ?

Also is it possible to improve the shadow distance a bit ? It's jarring in towns ! Shadows seem to appear like 1 meter away from Geralt and walking inside houses seems to progressively cover everything in shadows with every step because of the terrible draw distance. Any tweaks possible ?

My laptop, until this game has always been able to out perform the xbox one and is a touch weaker than ps4. But that isn't being reflected here. I should be able to at least go 900p, turn on bloom, SSAO and increase foliage spawn distance a bit more and get 30-40 fps, but I can't. Ends up being about 18-35 like that.
Same for me with my 850M and i5 4210U, laptop outperformed Xbox in every game except this one. I guess its because Nvidia won't optimize the games for laptops anymore, only for desktop GPUs, because I see no FPS boost with new drivers. It's pretty sad. So of course our laptops won't outperform XBox One anymore.

MisterM

Turned off Hairworks, used the SweetFX configuration someone here shared. Now running Ultra settings with foliage distance and shadows set to high. 60fps solid at 1080p and it looks amazing.

I5-3570
16gb ram
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 (Factory OC)
Windows 8.1
Latest NVidia drivers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I did, cleaned out all the config files, and somehow it pulled my tweaked variant from thin air :/

It's set to be backed up to the cloud, so if the file is missing, Steam will replace it.

savefiles
0/path: /The Witcher 3/gamesaves/
0/pattern: *
0/platforms/1: Windows
0/root: WinMyDocuments
1/path: /The Witcher 3/
1/pattern: user.settings
1/platforms/1: Windows
1/root: WinMyDocuments

In cutscenes and dialogues shadows from trees projected on characters look bad and blurry... Is it possible to improve them to remove this blurry effect ?

Also is it possible to improve the shadow distance a bit ? It's jarring in towns ! Shadows seem to appear like 1 meter away from Geralt and walking inside houses seems to progressively cover everything in shadows with every step because of the terrible draw distance. Any tweaks possible ?

Yes you can change all those things in the INI. The shadows forming that close shouldn't happen unless you already changed the INI.

Any try this:

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassDistanceScale=1 (increase to increase grass distance)
FoliageDistanceScale=1 (increase to increase foliage distance)
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=4 (increase to increase foliage shadow distance)

MaxCascadeCount=3 ( if this is lower than 3 you get terrible shadow pop in inside buildings. Increase this to make it further)

These are all big performance tweaks though so just keep that in mind.

Same for me with my 850M and i5 4210U, laptop outperformed Xbox in every game except this one. I guess its because Nvidia won't optimize the games for laptops anymore, only for desktop GPUs, because I see no FPS boost with new drivers. It's pretty sad. So of course our laptops won't outperform XBox One anymore.

Well its only one game so far and its a HUGE technically challenging game. Another driver and other patches will turn up that might boost performance. Its almost witcher tradition to have performance issue that get ironed out over time.

Also im pretty sure the consoles are using some settings you can't match on PC that give them a performance boost. Such as NPC count. Its clearly lower on consoles. So maybe there is something else causing this apparent performance loss.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
So is it the general opinion that overclocking is off the table? I've massively reduced my clocks, and it still crashes, only when I run at stock the game is perfect........

A couple days ago I rolled my drivers back to the GTAV ones and I haven't had any display driver crashes since. On a OCed 970. I think I'm getting slightly less performance but it was worth it to kill the crashes.

I just got fed up. The Witcher 3 drivers were causing display driver crashes for me on the desktop. Didn't even have to be playing a game. I've had the 970 since launch and have never had such a shitty time of things.

Hopefully the next set of drivers are more stable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gonna give this baby a runthrough tonight and then work on finishing Witcher 2.

My specs:

FX6300 3.5Ghz (4.1 turbo)
XFX R9 280x DD 3gB
1333Mhz 4gB DDR3 RAM

Will it run like shit until I get 8gB of ram? Or will I just experience small stutters as it shuffles things in and out of the RAM?

Iceternal

Yes you can change all those things in the INI. The shadows forming that close shouldn't happen unless you already changed the INI.

Any try this:

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassDistanceScale=1 (increase to increase grass distance)
FoliageDistanceScale=1 (increase to increase foliage distance)
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=4 (increase to increase foliage shadow distance)

MaxCascadeCount=3 ( if this is lower than 3 you get terrible shadow pop in inside buildings. Increase this to make it further)

These are all big performance tweaks though so just keep that in mind.

Well its only one game so far and its a HUGE technically challenging game. Another driver and other patches will turn up that might boost performance. Its almost witcher tradition to have performance issue that get ironed out over time.

Thanks but why do you propose grass distance tweaks ? It's not an issue for me ...

And haven't made any ini tweaks yet but the shadows pop-in inside towns and buildings is terrible

Thanks but why do you propose grass distance tweaks ? It's not an issue for me ...

And haven't made any ini tweaks yet but the shadows pop-in inside towns and buildings is terrible

Just in case you wanted to increase them.

Those all affect various pop on etc.

Wonder why you get bad shadow pop in indoors? Anyway try those tweaks. There are other shadow ones to. Look at this link for the good ones.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...: Wild Hunt PC Ini Config Visual Tweaks Guide

Try the various CascadeShadowFadeTreshold settings. I think that might actually be the issue.

Seanspeed

Banned
Honestly, I didn't see a performance boost with the new drivers, either. With a GTX970. I think the main thing it added was an SLI profile.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Just in case you wanted to increase them.

Those all affect various pop on etc.

Wonder why you get bad shadow pop in indoors? Anyway try those tweaks. There are other shadow ones to. Look at this link for the good ones.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...: Wild Hunt PC Ini Config Visual Tweaks Guide

Try the various CascadeShadowFadeTreshold settings. I think that might actually be the issue.

That's a pretty weak copy-paste of the original source as they didn't lift the images that show the improvements from the tweaks, or the performance cost :)

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide has all the info.

Kvik

That's a pretty weak copy-paste of the original source as they didn't lift the images that show the improvements from the tweaks, or the performance cost :)

Haha, I've been to quite a few of those copy-pasta sites, and almost all of them lift their .ini tweaks from your article, Andy.

Yours are pretty much the definitive guide, all things considered. CDPR should give you the Redkit SDK Documentation so that we'll know what all those settings are.

tuxfool

Banned

Only on Nvidia. I'm running a heavy overclock on my 290 and the game is fine.

Bandito

Neo Member
Any update on this Keplar fix gents?

Probably too much to ask for a release before this weekend.. Want to spend my bank holiday weekend playing the witcher

laxu

Only on Nvidia. I'm running a heavy overclock on my 290 and the game is fine.

No I think that's not true. I run a heavily overclocked 970 SLI with a heavily overclocked CPU using the latest drivers and so far the game has not crashed a single time. Runs like a dream.

Borderless window mode causes a huge performance drop in this game at least on my system (seems to pretty much halve my framerate) so run it in fullscreen.

Top Bottom