• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Skyzard

Banned
As an overall package, Witcher 3 is more believable to me.

I think DAI looks really, really good, but the lightining is very flat. No dynamic weather and TOD system makes the world look very bland and static.

Models in DA are hit or miss. Some are amazing, others are just plain terrible. Witcher 3 is a bit more consistent, and the facil expressions are leagues better.

The grass is another story. Before the game was released I was one of the people disappointed with the grass in Witcher 3 (I still am), and claimed it was better in DA. Now, while I still think the grass does look better in DA in still shots, overall, taking into account all the foliage, trees and how they react to the wind, I think Witcher 3 ends up looking better to me.

The textures are much better in DAI, I'll give you that.

Those weren't even max textures iirc.

Witcher 3 is no slouch and the atmosphere can be fantastic and is often very good, and the grass suits the artstyle but it's mushy mang.

I wish I could run it at 4k and keep at least a proper locked 30 - so it would look more realistic and clearer. That would be something but it'd take an expensive rig. It's nice at 1440p but comes with the fps drop, especially with hotspots like abandoned village in the starting area (there area a few others and I've not explored much of it yet, but you do fight there during a quest). So I locked it to 37fps.

heringer

Those weren't even max textures.

Witcher 3 is no slouch and the atmosphere can be fantastic and is often very good, and the grass suits the artstyle but it's mushy mang.

I wish I could run it at 4k and keep at least a proper locked 30 - so it would look clearer. That would be something but it'd take an expensive rig.

Yeah, me too. At least I'm playing at 1440p and it's totally worth it because the higher resolution really helps to clean up the foliage.

I just played a bit of DA and it really does look as fantastic as I remembered. However, the bottom line to me is that Witcher's world is always changing while in DA everything is very static. Also, the animations are better in W3, though nothing to write home about.

The particle effects are stunning in DA too.

Ah! Both games look great for different reasons. At least we can agree The Witcher 3 is the better game. :p

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, me too. At least I'm playing at 1440p and it's totally worth it because the higher resolution really helps to clean up the foliage.

I just played a bit of DA and it really does look as fantastic as I remembered. However, the bottom line to me is that Witcher's world is always changing while in DA everything is very static. Also, the animations are better in W3, though nothing to write home about.

Ah! Both games look great for different reasons. At least we can agree The Witcher 3 is the better game. :p

I'm definitely a lot more invested and giving it more of a chance, I dropped DA:I quick (after tweaking :p). Might've had something to do with archer gameplay and the AI issues with longer draw distances.

Switched to FC4 very quickly from DA:I.

Was still pretty hooked to GTA:V and pCars when this came out and they haven't been launched since. I miss them sure but Witcher 3.

Hopefully someone makes a mod to remove the long ass narration when you load a game.

The narration is the loading screen, actually.
If you skip the narration, you'll get the usual loading screen with tips. Well, I prefer the tips though, so I welcome that kind of mod.

Hopefully someone makes a mod to remove the long ass narration when you load a game.

If it's running all the way through, that means your game is actually taking that long to load.

In my game, I can often press spacebar and skip the narration when it's about 3/4 of the way through.

Essentially, that scene IS a loading screen.

Lingitiz

As an overall package, Witcher 3 is more believable to me.

I think DAI looks really, really good, but the lightining is very flat. No dynamic weather and TOD system makes the world look very bland and static.

Models in DA are hit or miss. Some are amazing, others are just plain terrible. Witcher 3 is a bit more consistent, and the facil expressions are leagues better.

The grass is another story. Before the game was released I was one of the people disappointed with the grass in Witcher 3 (I still am), and claimed it was better in DA. Now, while I still think the grass does look better in DA in still shots, overall, taking into account all the foliage, trees and how they react to the wind, I think Witcher 3 ends up looking better to me.

The textures are much better in DAI, I'll give you that.

The grass looks amazing in DAI but yeah I agree that the lighting looks pretty flat. The scenes in TW3 are also extremely dense in comparison. Forests and swamps are more realistic than any other game. The addition of time of day and weather alone make it no comparison.

DAI is a pretty nice looking game on PC but it feels really lifeless overall in the grand scheme of things.

Gold Member
I ditched hair works tonight, I don't think it's worth the 10 FPS personally. Averaging 50 FPS now at 1440p on a 980 (overclocked), everything on ultra with G-Sync. Game looks amazing and the AA solution they are using is really good. Don't even feel the need to downsample (for a change) which is nice!

Game has crashed to desktop 4 times tonight, no error, nothing, just closes itself.
If you are running G-Force Experience try exiting it. I was having the same issue and saw this fix in a GoG troubleshooter. Seemed to work for me was crashing every 10-20 minutes yesterday afternoon but played for about 4 hours in the evening without a crash. Could be coincidence though lol. I also read that rolling back the driver can work but I didn't try that.

Renekton

W3 outclasses DA:I technically which is of course expected.

DA:I does seem to have more striking art direction and bolder colors (maybe helped by flatter lighting).

viveks86

Loving the population density on the PC version. The earlier shots doing the rounds had me worried
witcher32015-05-2418-44-18.png

witcher32015-05-2418-09-27.png

Need abit of help from a casual PC gamer.

Installed the latest driver for my 780, the 352.86 one and have encountered crashes 3 crashes while using Chrome since last night. Today I started Witcher 3 for the first time, saw the opening cinematics but once the game tried to load me into the game it froze, so I rebooted the PC. This time when the game tried to load it just sent me back to the desktop and it gave me a message saying the driver crashed and then it had recovered.

Would you guys recommend reinstalling this driver or just going with the previous driver before the 352 release? Thanks.

Need abit of help from a casual PC gamer.

Installed the latest driver for my 780, the 352.86 one and have encountered crashes 3 crashes while using Chrome since last night. Today I started Witcher 3 for the first time, saw the opening cinematics but once the game tried to load me into the game it froze, so I rebooted the PC. This time when the game tried to load it just sent me back to the desktop and it gave me a message saying the driver crashed and then it had recovered.

Would you guys recommend reinstalling this driver or just going with the previous driver before the 352 release? Thanks.

Did you do a clean install of the driver or an overwrite?

I'd recommend using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and doing a clean install.

Also, don't leave Chrome or FireFox open in the background if your running the game, they do seem to crash a lot on the latest driver for unknown reasons.

Did you do a clean install of the driver or an overwrite?

I'd recommend using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and doing a clean install.

Also, don't leave Chrome or FireFox open in the background if your running the game, they do seem to crash a lot on the latest driver for unknown reasons.

I did a clean uninstall myself,didn't use any program to do it. Shortly after I installed the new driver last night it was when the problems began. And yeah I did have Chrome open when I was playing just now. Would u recommend staying with this driver? I did try another game earlier this morning( FarCry 3) and it all went well but just played along enough to see that the driver was running ok. Very weird that things were fine then,but maybe I had Chrome closed. I'll give the game another shot but be sure to have browsers closed this time. Many thanks.

taoofjord

I'm having a weird bug or computer issue. Twice, after initiating a dialogue with an NPC, my monitor goes black. The sound continues and the game seems to still be going as I hear sound effects when cycling through the dialogue choices with the gamepad. I tried pressing alt+tab, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+enter, alt+f4... nothing worked and I had do a hard reboot by pressing a button on the computer tower. Any ideas what could be happening?

Yep , it crashed again just now. Hope they get a fix for this driver out quickly. Going to go with the previous driver for now,see what happens.

Yep, Vivek's preset is amazing.
I tweaked it a bit though, added a bit of chromatic color from 0.7 to 0.9 so the grasses would look a bit more green.

I'm having a weird bug or computer issue. Twice, after initiating a dialogue with an NPC, my monitor goes black. The sound continues and the game seems to still be going as I hear sound effects when cycling through the dialogue choices with the gamepad. I tried pressing alt+tab, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+enter, alt+f4... nothing worked and I had do a hard reboot by pressing a button on the computer tower. Any ideas what could be happening?

I had this once too.

Seiru

Banned
Didn't realize how behind the times my GTX 660 was, until I bought this game and could only do 30+ fps at low...and even then, only at 1080p (not the native 1440p of my monitor).

So I ordered a GTX 980, but it came with a free copy of The Witcher 3 :(

Didn't realize how behind the times my GTX 660 was, until I bought this game and could only do 30+ fps at low...and even then, only at 1080p (not the native 1440p of my monitor).

So I ordered a GTX 980, but it came with a free copy of The Witcher 3 :(

This can't be real.
The GTX 660 is the minimum requirement for this game, right?
This is my PC's performance using a minimum requirement gpu. I don't use hairworks anymore though, so I can use HBAO+ and set the shadow to ultra, leaving only foliage distance on high. Coupled with ReShade on top of it, the game is running beautifully overall.

Not all on ultra, shadow and foliage distance are on high. Might dips to 28-29 in crowded battles with hairworks monsters. But it's smooth 30 fps everywhere else.
These are my settings.

YjpzFKo.jpg

skalRnT.jpg

hctzDIZ.jpg

4B2S33c.jpg

AMD CCC tweak
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jpe9/how_to_run_hairworks_on_amd_cards_without/
.ini config tweak
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jjoz/psa_change_hairworksaa_in_renderingini_for_a/

My specs:
AMD PhenomII x4 955 BE 3,2Ghz
AMD HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2Gb
Memory 8gb

Been playing since day 1, 0 crashes.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
First three hours of the game, constant crashes. Since turning off my CPU overclock, zero crashes the past two hours.

Jonm1010

Banned
Well I thought I was blessed but the crashes have started and won't let up.

Last night they began and now I can't even play more then a few minutes before the game crashes.

Wtf CDPR?

I'm getting a relatively constant 60FPS...and the game is buttery smooth, however, when the game rarely dips to 56-57FPS zone, the game becomes so "jittery". I'm running on predominately Ultra with 2-3 options set to high.

What are the most taxing options to tone down, in order to retain a constant 60FPS? Hairworks is off entirely. My 680's (2) are hitting max fan speed...and it my rig sounds like a spaceship.

viveks86

Skyzard

Banned
I noticed they decelerate the panning when you slow it down even slightly - to have the camera come to a standstill faster probably but it needs a bit more leeway. If it sees you just slowed it down but didn't stop (stop would be a neutral right stick) then it does what looks like a stop and start as it continues at the slower speed after decelerating too fast.

If you keep it at a locked speed it won't judder, but that can be quite hard to do as it's pretty sensitive.

Locked speed pan:
http://a.pomf.se/fksics.webm

They definitely need to tweak it but I don't think it's like a graphical bug as much a controller sensitivity and camera speed one.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I ditched hair works tonight, I don't think it's worth the 10 FPS personally. Averaging 50 FPS now at 1440p on a 980 (overclocked), everything on ultra with G-Sync. Game looks amazing and the AA solution they are using is really good. Don't even feel the need to downsample (for a change) which is nice!

If you are running G-Force Experience try exiting it. I was having the same issue and saw this fix in a GoG troubleshooter. Seemed to work for me was crashing every 10-20 minutes yesterday afternoon but played for about 4 hours in the evening without a crash. Could be coincidence though lol. I also read that rolling back the driver can work but I didn't try that.

I don't have GFE installed at all :(

Guys I'm trying to install Viveks SweetFX for Witcher 3 and have no idea what I'm doing. I've never used SweetFX or Reshade before.

I downloaded the right file I think for the program but have no idea what I'm doing or how to even open the program.

Could anyone be awesome enough to help me

Just got my 980 classified and it's also crashing every 10-20 minutes. Settings on ulta at 1080p with foliage distance on medium, tried some of the tips here but haven't gotten it to fix the problem yet

subwilde

I just did a rollback on mine and the game hasn't crashed yet, so I think this is the solution.

Are we talking Nvidia or AMD here? Any AMD users rollback and experience less crashes? IDK when they are putting out new drivers, and I really want to play.

Guys I'm trying to install Viveks SweetFX for Witcher 3 and have no idea what I'm doing. I've never used SweetFX or Reshade before.

I downloaded the right file I think for the program but have no idea what I'm doing or how to even open the program.

Could anyone be awesome enough to help me

- Download Reshade + Sweet FX 2.0 from Reshade.me
- Unrar files and run Reshade setup, choose .exe of the game (witcher3.exe) to apply this preset.
- Download Vivek's Sweetfx preset and rename it to SweetFX_Settings
- Delete SweetFX_Settings file in the sweetfx folder and move Vivek's settings there (or just overwrite)

- Download Reshade + Sweet FX 2.0 from Reshade.me
- Unrar files and run Reshade setup, choose .exe of the game (witcher3.exe) to apply this preset.
- Download Vivek's Sweetfx preset and rename it to SweetFX_Settings
- Delete SweetFX_Settings file in the sweetfx folder and move Vivek's settings there (or just overwrite)

Hell yes, got it working thanks!!!!!

I just did a rollback on mine and the game hasn't crashed yet, so I think this is the solution.

Yep rolled mine back to the NVidia 350 driver its running great now. Seeing some stuttering during cinematics but not bad. But most importantly the game is smooth when I play it.
Guess thats the fix until they update to a newer driver.

I'm about 4 hours in and here's my experience.

4670k @ 4.6, 780 ti, 24gb ram, 1080p

I'm ultra on everything except foliage distance, HBAO+, no AA, vignetting off, chromatic aberration off, blur on, hair off. I get mostly 60 fps. I do notice some microstuttering but nothing that's really killing me right now.

I'm gonna start fudging with settings at 1440p when I get my new monitor this week. Hopefully my 780 ti holds up, at least until I can upgrade to the 980 ti :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody else using grass density tweaks having pop-in problems? Only happens in certain locations for me, but I get weird flicker/pop-in on certain grass assets depending on the camera angle. Velen was 99% fine, but White Orchard and Skellige have it.

1.03 patch was supposed to fix it:

Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed

Top Bottom