• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Is it known that when in combat on horseback, if you hold down the attack button, the game goes into slow motion? Much easier to land attacks. Also, with the music kicking ass, it's pretty damn cool. :)

I've put a ton of hours into the game, and I only just figured this out.

I've seen it before in the thread. But considering it was someone saying it has a hint I'll assume plenty of people don't know it.

Anyone else getting random hard vibrations from their controller while roaming around? I'm using DS4Windows and a PS4 controller and every now and then I'll get a really big vibration for about half a second. At first I thought it may have been Geralt's medallion vibrating or something like that, but it happens when there's nothing going on.
It's the witcher amulet when a secret has been found. Use your witcher sense

Godan

What nvidia driver are you using, the older GTA5 drivers or the new Witcher 3 Game Ready drivers?

You've obviously installed the latest patch for the game, yes?

Are you running Shadowplay? Turning that off, and quitting GFE entirely seems to have helped dramatically.

Thankfully I've gotten it to a point where I do not get the inventory freezes or cutscene freezes, but I do get the occasional infinite loading screen. I need to test some more but I think that only happens when I'm changing areas.

Yeah the latest drivers and got all the patches for the witcther. Never use that shadow play or anything.

Its just the menu thing i get no other real problems with it.

Okay I tried loading a few mods as well as the sweetFX mod. Needless to say none of them worked and I actually broke the game. The game wouldn't even open, just crashed immediately. So I had to repair the installation and remove the mod files. However, now I have the reshade program showing when I'm playing the game (text in the top left corner that says no effect loaded). How can I get rid of that and any idea of what caused the game to instantly crash?

knerl

The more I play, more I start to think the game looks amazing. Still not the best looking game out there, but I retract from previous comments where I said Dragon Age Inquisition looked better. At least on PC, it doesn't.

I have to say that Inquisition is miles ahead.
Lighting, particle effects (objectively superior) and character models all look much better in Dragon Age. Textures and foliage too (even if there's less foliage DA.)
Both games maxed out as a baseline for my comparison and conclusion.
Witcher 3 can look great, but overall it just looks ok to me.
Performance wise for me they're very much on par.
I get a bit disappointed by TW3 after playing DA:I. Better lighting (more dynamic stuff) and more advanced particle effects like they were going to use at first would have made such a huge difference. Volumetric fog alone would have been king.
On a side note. Does anyone know if there are higher resolutions available of the textures in TW3? In one of the .ini files theres a setting that controls max texture resolution which is set to 2048. Didn't see a difference when I changed it to 4096. I've only seen the game use ~2GB of VRAM max so far. Would be nice if there were something to fill the rest (gtx 970 here) with.

Lighting, particle effects (objectively superior) and character models all look much better in Dragon Age. Textures and foliage too (even if there's less foliage DA.)
Both games maxed out as a baseline for my comparison and conclusion.
Witcher 3 can look great, but overall it just looks ok to me.
Performance wise for me they're very much on par.
I get a bit disappointed by TW3 after playing DA:I. Better lighting (more dynamic stuff) and more advanced particle effects like they were going to use at first would have made such a huge difference. Volumetric fog alone would have been king.
On a side note. Does anyone know if there are higher resolutions available of the textures in TW3? In one of the .ini files theres a setting that controls max texture resolution which is set to 2048. Didn't see a difference when I changed it to 4096. I've only seen the game use ~2GB of VRAM max so far. Would be nice if there were something to fill the rest (gtx 970 here) with.

I have to agree with this. Even playing at 4K, the game doesn't look that great. The texture quality is just poor. To be fair though, the game does have some great scenes especially when the sun sets.

M.D

Just had something weird happen - during a conversation/cut scene the screen went blurry and it said its loading, then when I tried to tab out it wouldn't show me anything else so I had to log out my user

Also, in the side quest with the
Temerian soldier that wants the box with medicine
, there was a fairly long loading time.. can't remember getting loading times after an end of a conversation, or I just never noticed?

Zakalwe

Banned

Character models? Come on... TW3's are so much more detailed. DA:I's are nowhere near.

I spun up DA:I a couple of says ago when people were making similar comparisons, and max settings versus TW3 there's no contest. TW3 is leagues ahead. DA:I's character models and world look positively flat in comparison.

Art style preferences aside, of course.

DA:I's particle effects and flashy lights are vey pretty though, for sure, but the stuff underneath not so much.

Evo X

My biggest graphical complaint about this game is definitely the texture quality. In fact, last night I had to go into the options and double check if it hadn't dropped to low because some of the armor pieces looked so terrible in conversations.

Wish they would release an optional texture pack. I've got 12GB of VRAM at my disposal, and this game barely uses 2.5GB at 1440p maxed.

Skyzard

Banned
Character models? Come on... TW3's are so much more detailed. DA:I's are nowhere near.

I spun up DA:I a couple of says ago when people were making similar comparisons, and max settings versus TW3 there's no contest. TW3 is leagues ahead. DA:I's character models and world look positively flat in comparison.

DA:I's particle effects and flashy lights are vey pretty though, for sure, but the stuff underneath not so much.

Going to have to call you on that, assuming when you say "the stuff underneath" you aren't referring to quests or mechanics but what he mentioned - foliage, characters, also the non-bloom lighting. DA:I takes it. It's not as effortlessly atmospheric as TW3, nor is it as good a game, but it's a looker just with the standard stuff we're used to, not the overall composition like with TW3.

Skyzard

Banned
^More natural but less vibrant, hard tossup but I went for colourful.

Or are the "e3fx" sweetfx settings even better than other "realistic" settings?

Qassim

I don't agree that DA:I looks better, because I think the way they've put together the environments and how they've used what they have got and combined it all feels a lot more cohesive and believable (note: this doesn't mean 'realistic').

I do think DA:I looks really great and I agree in quite a few areas, it has The Witcher 3 beat, I just think as a package The Witcher 3 does a lot more for me graphically.

Zakalwe

Banned
Going to have to call you on that, assuming when you say "the stuff underneath" you aren't referring to quests or mechanics but what he mentioned - foliage, characters, also the non-bloom lighting. DA:I takes it. It's not as effortlessly atmospheric as TW3, nor is it as good a game, but it's a looker just with the standard stuff we're used to, not the overall composition like with TW3.

Call me on it, then boot them up and compare one after the other.

When I say the stuff underneath I mean the foliage, the textures, the models. They're nowhere near TW3, they look incredibly flat and static in comparison and produce nowhere near the atmosphere TW3 manages.

Amd I mean individually too as well as the composition.

Skyzard

Banned
Call me on it, then boot them up and compare one after the other.

When I say the stuff underneath I mean the foliage, the textures, the models. They're nowhere near TW3, they look incredibly flat and static in comparison and produce nowhere near the atmosphere TW3 manages.

Amd I mean individually too as well as the composition.

I agree about the atmosphere, TW3 takes that, but models and foliage?
Nowhere near? common :p I've uninstalled it but had some footage recorded, not many closeups of characters but you can see the foliage pretty clearly:

http://a.pomf.se/qqbnql.webm

http://a.pomf.se/lluwjo.webm

More grass and some character face:

http://a.pomf.se/mhyfqc.webm

Pretty massive difference with the grass especially, but in-game models too really. They looked amazing in DA:I, up-close too.

-maybe on consoles or lower resolutions it looks different?

Not sure but I'm using the one in the link above.

Thanks for the link.

Vitor711

Anyone else having the hair meshes pop into view after camera cuts during cutscenes? Its really distracting, even if it just happens for a second or less

ecosse_011172

I'm trying to use SweetFx for SMAA injection but struggling.
The latest beta complained about the settings file when I uncommented the ENABLE_SMAA line.
I just tried the SweetFx Configurator v1.3.3 but when I launch the game I get a Syntax error, unexpected reserved word in SMAA.h.

Are there any guides/tips on how to get SMAA running with Witcher 3?

Okay I tried loading a few mods as well as the sweetFX mod. Needless to say none of them worked and I actually broke the game. The game wouldn't even open, just crashed immediately. So I had to repair the installation and remove the mod files. However, now I have the reshade program showing when I'm playing the game (text in the top left corner that says no effect loaded). How can I get rid of that and any idea of what caused the game to instantly crash?

FPS/recording programs like fraps and msi afterburner etc will crash your game with sweetfx.
Disable them beforehand.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm trying to use SweetFx for SMAA injection but struggling.
The latest beta complained about the settings file when I uncommented the ENABLE_SMAA line.
I just tried the SweetFx Configurator v1.3.3 but when I launch the game I get a Syntax error, unexpected reserved word in SMAA.h.

Are there any guides/tips on how to get SMAA running with Witcher 3?

Usually in sweetfx you don't uncomment the main effects... They have a list near the top of the sweetfx settings file with the name of the effect and a 0 or a 1 afterwards, you just set it to 1...

Below the list you can tweak the settings for the individual effects if you want.

Not sure about how it works with the configurator though.

I presume it's from when you updated your drivers to the latest. Every time you update your drivers it disables SLI, I've made this mistake a few times and forgot to re-enable SLI.

Thanks. I only did my first SLI on Friday so I didn't know that happened. I was wondering why witcher was so heavy but never went back to play project cars after the game ready drivers. Was ready to take both cards out switch them back and forth to see what was up

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Game has crashed to desktop 4 times tonight, no error, nothing, just closes itself.

A user (Exentryk) on the official forums posted some info on how he got the trackpad to work in DS4Windows. When selecting what key to use for the selected function, he has the box "scan code" selected. I tried it, and it works. Going to be nice to assign some signs and menu functions now.

Skyzard

Banned
Is there a way to fix the judder?

Are you dropping frames?

SLI?

If you answered no to both, try setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in the control panel (nvidia).

Would appreciate a headsup if it worked for you.

--also try setting it to borderless window, v-sync through the control panel and off in-game, set frame-rate to unlimited in-game and use RTSS to lock it to whatever your rig can take.

Could it be the vibration that happens when your quen sign times out?

Just tested this and yes, that's what it is! Thanks for clarifying, that was bothering me every time it happened.

A user (Exentryk) on the official forums posted some info on how he got the trackpad to work in DS4Windows. When selecting what key to use for the selected function, he has the box "scan code" selected. I tried it, and it works. Going to be nice to assign some signs and menu functions now.

THANK YOU for passing this bit of info along! It works perfectly.

Skyzard

Banned
Does it usually take a week or more for AMD to get their Crossfire drivers out?? I can't believe it's taking so long.

Sounds like the ATI erm AMD I know. Put me off SLI tbh and it was just a 4870x2. So does hearing about a potential nvidia keplar nef though.

Do we still have to cross our fingers and hope the patch isn't "crossfire disabled" ? :p

mintylurb

I was in the same boat with my 970 I just bought a couple days ago. I 'm also noticing the same pattern with factory O/C'd cards. Thankfully, using afterburner to adjust my fan speeds to around 50-60%, it has helped lower my temps below 70 degrees. This has stopped the crashes completely.

Some are saying to RMA the cards if they are black screening at around 75, so I might do that. At first, I thought it was my PSU dying but once cooling the card with a higher fan speed it definitely ruled out that it is not my PSU since it is using more power.

Yup, I might just RMA it as when I received this "new" card, it did kind of look like it's been used.

Does this work with Inputmapper too?

M.D

Am I crazy or did this game always had terrible pop-in? I never noticed anything until now but roads are created infront of my eyes and foliage grows as I ride my horse and it's pretty distracting

Edit: oops, set my settings to low by mistake.. but aside from that honestly didn't notice lol

mintylurb

I do think the trees and foliage in general look better in DA:I than TW3 though.

My game is capped at 30 fps, perhaps that's why I don't notice it?

That's what I mean, I'm capped at 30 too. I was just saying if I unlock it I get around 45fps,so it's not my hardware.

It's similar to the judder I get when playing Bloodborne, skipped frames or whatever its called.

Portugeezer

Are you dropping frames?

SLI?

If you answered no to both, try setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in the control panel (nvidia).

Would appreciate a headsup if it worked for you.

--also try setting it to borderless window, v-sync through the control panel and off in-game, set frame-rate to unlimited in-game and use RTSS to lock it to whatever your rig can take.
I have an AMD card (290) so I can't try those nvidia options. I am running it locked on Dxtory, locked through ingame settings to 30 still has the issue.

My game is capped at 30 fps, perhaps that's why I don't notice it?

I locked at 30 and still have it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Nowhere near? common :p I've uninstalled it but had some footage recorded, not many closeups of characters but you can see the foliage pretty clearly:

Pretty massive difference with the grass especially, but in-game models too really. They looked amazing in DA:I, up-close too.

Thanks for the link.

I'll take a look when I'm at my PC next, but my comparison was made at max settings with both games and DA:I definitely looked inferior to me.

It never impressed me visually aside from the pretty flashy lights during combat.

23qwerty

Playing this on a 50" TV @ 1080p looks damn near as good as playing it at 4k on a monitor...
Such a hassle moving my desktop over there though

I'll take a look when I'm at my PC next, but my comparison was made at max settings with both games and DA:I definitely looked inferior to me.

It never impressed me visually aside from the pretty flashy lights during combat.

Grass and other foliage doesn't look as flat to me in DA:I, but when you factor in the total package of what W3 is doing on the scale it is, and creating probably the most immersive and realistic topology I've seen in a game, DA's individual assets don't really impress me as much. Boring af gameplay and world building too, but that's another conversation.

Skyzard

Banned
I noticed they decelerate the panning when you slow it down even slightly - to have the camera come to a standstill faster probably but it needs a bit more leeway. If it sees you just slowed it down but didn't stop (stop would be a neutral right stick) then it does what looks like a stop and start as it continues at the slower speed after decelerating too fast.

If you keep it at a locked speed it won't judder, but that can be quite hard to do as it's pretty sensitive.

jett

D-Member
The vignetting effect got broke in my game after a quest, for some reason. Instead of darkening the corners, it now brightness them...WTF? Had to turn it off, but unfortunately i had become used to the corners being a bit darkened. :|

heringer

Thanks for the link.

As an overall package, Witcher 3 is more believable to me.

I think DAI looks really, really good, but the lightining is very flat. No dynamic weather and TOD system makes the world look very bland and static.

Models in DA are hit or miss. Some are amazing, others are just plain terrible. Witcher 3 is a bit more consistent, and the facil expressions are leagues better.

The grass is another story. Before the game was released I was one of the people disappointed with the grass in Witcher 3 (I still am), and claimed it was better in DA. Now, while I still think the grass does look better in DA in still shots, overall, taking into account all the foliage, trees and how they react to the wind, I think Witcher 3 ends up looking better to me.

The textures are much better in DAI, I'll give you that.

Top Bottom