• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Dundar

Just wanted to chime in about the pop in with the new patch.

It's awful, to the point that sprinting in novigrad for me will make NPCs spawn directly in front of Geralt (and then it will take ~15-20 seconds for them to be to interactible, which is really goddamn annoying)

Yeah that happens to me too. Everything set to ultra, but i tried also other settings.... it's now getting a little on my nerves. I think it especially happens with little groups of people, like worshippers of the priest who are preying at altars along the road, the ones who listen to church speakers in the city, and so on.
It now happens basically every time one travels with the horse, instead of quick travelling.

Khasim

Has anybody figured out how to get rid of the horrible grass pop-in that happens only if you crank the foliage distance to Ultra or beyond? I'm in Skellige, and in the area with the colourful grass in the huge field with the small streams, no matter the foliage distance, I get horrible pop-in of the 'special' colorful grass like 50-100 metres from me. I even tried setting the foliage distance scale variable in the usersettings.ini to 12 and it still happens.

It's driving me mad, because I'd be happy with playing at 30 fps with all the grass and shadow tweaks, but it feels pointless if setting the foliage render distance to even the default ultra value causes this pop-in. High doesn't have it, but it has this very noticeable streaming that's also tickling my gfx OCD in the wrong way.

EDIT: I'm on patch 1.04.

Bizzquik

No crashes on my AMD R9 290. ...Roughly 20 hours in.

Still want those updated drivers, though, so I can have crossfire (optimized) settings & up some of the graphical options. My second 290 is just bored at the moment....waiting.

Sil

Banned
Just re-installed and installed 1.3 instead of 1.4 and all is well again in the world. No more insane texture and grass pop-in.

Won't be touching any of the future patches before I'm done with this run.

To the folks using a GTX 770, what settings/resolution are you on and what fps are you getting?

From what I could gather there's only two options at 1080p on a 770: turning everything to low and getting a 60 FPS, or capping at 30 and cranking the effects to high or above. Anything other than the lowest settings isn't yielding a constant 60 for me, which IMO a constant framerate is the only way to go.

It's a hard trade-off. I mean, the game really doesn't look that bad on the lowest settings so maybe I can do that.

Here are my settings. I definitely cap at 30fps because even if I set everything low, there are still areas where my fps will dip. I test just about all my settings in the abandoned village in White Orchard as the shadows/foliage there will crush you if you don't optimize right.

MattyG

Banned
So I used Durante's fix for the stuttering before 1.04 and it was perfect, but now it's almost unplayable with the amount of stuttering I'm getting.

I'm using a 2GB 760, but I'm going to be ordering a 970 tomorrow. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just wait to start playing again until my 970 gets here, because it's awful right now and it seems like no amount of settings tweaking will help it.

Dundar

Just re-installed and installed 1.3 instead of 1.4 and all is well again in the world. No more insane texture and grass pop-in.

Won't be touching any of the future patches before I'm done with this run.

Wiil game saves done with 1.04 work in 1.03?

i proceeded with the game and i think i overwrote all the last patch saves i did.....

anyway, here's hoping for 1.05 as soon as possible, NPC pop-in is too immersion breaking for me, i won't play the game in this condition, hoping for a swift patch since the NPC pop-in problem is getting hammered in CDPR forums so i guess they should know by now.

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there some reason that steam in-game overlay doesn't work with this game? I've turned off Rivatuner and afterburner but I can't get the overlay to come up when I press Shift+tab. Screenshots don't work either yet, achievements still popup.

Do you have FRAPS running? If so then kill it.

Khasim

Wiil game saves done with 1.04 work in 1.03?

i proceeded with the game and i think i overwrote all the last patch saves i did.....

anyway, here's hoping for 1.05 as soon as possible, NPC pop-in is too immersion breaking for me, i won't play the game in this condition, hoping for a swift patch since the NPC pop-in problem is getting hammered in CDPR forums so i guess they should know by now.

Nope, I just re-installed and checked, neither 1.02 nor 1.03 lets me load the 1.04 saves. Sucks, since I won't be starting my game over for such a thing. Oh well, I guess 'High' foliage distance it is for now, until the next patch at least.

Seanspeed

Banned
So I used Durante's fix for the stuttering before 1.04 and it was perfect, but now it's almost unplayable with the amount of stuttering I'm getting.

I'm using a 2GB 760, but I'm going to be ordering a 970 tomorrow. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just wait to start playing again until my 970 gets here, because it's awful right now and it seems like no amount of settings tweaking will help it.
There is a certain level of stuttering that happens no matter how smooth the performance is. It's something that plagues all platforms.

Your 970 will get you a much smoother game in general though, as it does 60fps quite comfortably. Waiting til then isn't a bad idea.

I'm sooo incredibly happy to have gotten a GTX 980 for GTAV. It was truly meant for The Witcher 3 :). I bought the 980 in mint condition (did some tests with the seller) for 500$ canadian off craigslist. So i sold my 2 X GTX 760's for 320$ total for both. 180$ for the upgrade :) best purchase ever. such a beautiful game and runs so well on my oldish rig.

I7 950 @ 4GHz
GTX 980
6GB RAM

boom.

Anyone have a HUD fix for 21:9 resolutions? I'm running at 3440x1440 but the HUD gets put in the same place as 1080p so it's not at the edges of the screen, super annoying

Dr Dogg

Anyone have a HUD fix for 21:9 resolutions? I'm running at 3440x1440 but the HUD gets put in the same place as 1080p so it's not at the edges of the screen, super annoying

Haven't tried it personally but there's a patched exe floating about on WSGF that will render in engine cutscenes the full width and not pillar boxed (someone did post it in here a page or two back).

As for the HUD there was a fix posted their too.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=29011

It's the 4th post but the variable you need to change in the user.ini config is right at the top uiHorizontalFrameScale which if set to about 1.3 will push it to the screen perimeter.

uiHorizontalFrameScale=1 said:
file.php

uiHorizontalFrameScale=1.3 said:

MattyG

Banned
There is a certain level of stuttering that happens no matter how smooth the performance is. It's something that plagues all platforms.

Your 970 will get you a much smoother game in general though, as it does 60fps quite comfortably. Waiting til then isn't a bad idea.
Yeah, I was getting normal stuttering before but this is more like chugging. It's almost like a one second freeze everytime. I'm gonna try a few more fixes, but if they don't work I'll just wait.

I really don't have stuttering issue so far on my PC. My game is capped at 30 fps, perhaps that's the reason.
I know what stuttering is, I got that a lot in GTA V if I ignored the vram limit on graphic settings.

To the folks using a GTX 770, what settings/resolution are you on and what fps are you getting?

From what I could gather there's only two options at 1080p on a 770: turning everything to low and getting a 60 FPS, or capping at 30 and cranking the effects to high or above. Anything other than the lowest settings isn't yielding a constant 60 for me, which IMO a constant framerate is the only way to go.

It's a hard trade-off. I mean, the game really doesn't look that bad on the lowest settings so maybe I can do that.

I have a 770 2GB. This is the best I could do using high textures and trying to keep a decent frame rate. I average around 45fps. Smooth almost all of the time. Sometimes it's in the 50s, sometimes dips around 35.

Motion blur = Off
Blur = Off
Anti-aliasing = Off
Bloom = On
Sharpening= Off
Depth of Field = On
Chromatic Aberration = Off
Vignetting = Off
Light Shafts = On
NVidia HairWorks= Off
Ambient Occlusion = None

VSync = On
Maximum Frames Per Second: 60
Resolution: 1920x1080
Display mode: Full Screen
Number of Background Characters: high
Shadow Quality: Low
Terrain Quality: High
Water Quality: High
Grass Density: High
Texture Quality: High
Foliage Visibility Range: Low
Detail Level: Med

MattyG

Banned
I'm using Durante's Rivatuner fix for the stuttering, and I'm wondering if that isn't why I'm having issues. Do I only have to launch Rivatuner or do I have to do something more to get it to limit frames in TW3?

Philtastic

Does anyone have any luck in getting RivaTuner to work with TW3?
The FPS counter is not showing in-game.

My settings:

Yes, Enable 64-bit applications support service is enabled.

Do you have anything else running that hooks into the game? Witcher 3 doesn't seem to like multiple things hooking in so disable things like FRAPS, AMD'S Gaming Evolved, OBS, and possibly Steam overlay. Rivatuner works fine for me but interferes with Gaming Evolved and OBS so I closed GE/OBS when I wanted to analyze performance and closed Afterburner when I wanted to record.

b0bbyJ03

I installed the SweetFX "1.000 Times Better" profile and imo it made the game look better than any tweak I've done and it was free on performance. I recommend it to anyone that doesn't love the vanilla colors. It looks amazing.

kinggroin

Banned
So did 1.04 introduce grass popin? Like, the grass distance seems way closer for drawing in at the setting I've always used, compared to 1.03

I installed the SweetFX "1.000 Times Better" profile and imo it made the game look better than any tweak I've done and it was free on performance. I recommend it to anyone that doesn't love the vanilla colors. It looks amazing.

Yeah, that's my 3rd favorite preset after Viveks' and Project Reality.
I love how we can easily switch between presets in ReShade, I hated it in Skyrim ENB where I had to uninstall one and install another one each time I want to switch.
I can even switch between presets in-game without having to close and re-open my game. Just alt tab and rename the settings.

b0bbyJ03

Yeah, that's my 3rd favorite preset after Viveks' and Project Reality.
I love how we can easily switch between presets in ReShade, I hated it in Skyrim ENB where I had to uninstall one and install another one each time I want to switch.
I can even switch between presets in-game without having to close and re-open my game. Just alt tab and rename the settings.

Nice! It's my first time using sweetfx. how do you switch between profiles?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm using Durante's Rivatuner fix for the stuttering, and I'm wondering if that isn't why I'm having issues. Do I only have to launch Rivatuner or do I have to do something more to get it to limit frames in TW3?

Wait, does this Durante thing fix the pan camera while moving stutter?

MattyG

Banned
It did for me (for the most part) until 1.04 released.

But apparently it didn't for others. Weird. Maybe it was just a placebo effect or something and I just stopped noticing it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can't believe how good the framerate is on my 280x, really. Granted, I haven't left White Orchard (because I have to beat Witcher 2 and import that damn save first :p). Does performance take a significantly bigger hit in places like Novigrad?

And are we expecting AMD drivers to do anything at all to improve performance further? Drivers seem to be working rather well as it is. I also can't believe how shitty the built in frame limiter is, Geralt becomes an unwieldly mess of a man to control if you use the 30 FPS lock, good thing there are workarounds for that though.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I've never used SweetFX before and would like to use this profile for the game. Can you guide me as to how, please?

jett

D-Member
Man first time using RTSS, the game suddenly moves at a much smoother pace, even with capping it at 60. I figure I'll continue gaming with it "unlocked", I tried playing it capped at 30fps and I just can't. Framerate is high enough on my machine and settings that the difference is substantial.

No, that seems to be an issue within the game engine itself, or something with how the camera works. The game still visibly stutters when you ride Roach at the lowest speed, for instance. Weird stuff.

Can't believe how good the framerate is on my 280x, really. Granted, I haven't left White Orchard (because I have to beat Witcher 2 and import that damn save first :p). Does performance take a significantly bigger hit in places like Novigrad?

And are we expecting AMD drivers to do anything at all to improve performance further? Drivers seem to be working rather well as it is. I also can't believe how shitty the built in frame limiter is, Geralt becomes an unwieldly mess of a man to control if you use the 30 FPS lock, good thing there are workarounds for that though.

The average 45~ framerate will keep on throughout most of the game, of course that is assuming you haven't put everything on ultra. :p On my 280X machine I have foliage, water and shadow on high, the rest on ultra, and regular SSAO enabled. The framerate will stumble into mid 30s in some villages.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Yes, I was facing many drops in Valen that I didn't in the first level. Same with Novigrad.

R9 270x here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man first time using RTSS, the game suddenly moves at a much smoother pace, even with capping it at 60. I figure I'll continue gaming with it "unlocked", I tried playing it capped at 30fps and I just can't. Framerate is high enough on my machine and settings that the difference is substantial.

No, that seems to be an issue within the game engine itself, or something with how the camera works. The game still visibly stutters when you ride Roach at the lowest speed, for instance. Weird stuff.

The average 45~ framerate will keep on throughout most of the game, of course that is assuming you haven't put everything on ultra. :p On my 280X machine I have foliage, water and shadow on high, the rest on ultra, and regular SSAO enabled. The framerate will stumble into mid 30s in some villages.

Okay, nice. That's good enough for me considering how good the game looks. Seeing the shadow of the windmill across the plains as the sun was setting was kind of mindblowingly good looking.

b0bbyJ03

I've never used SweetFX before and would like to use this profile for the game. Can you guide me as to how, please?

Sure, I was in your shoes just a few hours ago and found it ridiculously easy. Basically just go to this link which contains the profile: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3712/

Once you're there it will have all the basic instructions. There is a link that will give you a RAR file. Extract it and paste it in your Witcher Directory \The Witcher 3\bin\x64\SweetFX.

Once you do that, at the bottom of the page you download the settings. which you'll use to replace a file in that SweetFX folder. It's pretty much all explained. I just read through it. Let me know if that helps and let me know what you think. I think it looks insanely better.

Nice! It's my first time using sweetfx. how do you switch between profiles?

Rename the sweetfx_settings, and rename the ones you're not using by adding additional words in the end.

SweetFX_Settings Project Reality < this won't be loaded
SweetFX_Settings 1000 Times < this won't be loaded
SweetFX_Settings < this is the one you're using

If you want to switch, just rename your preferred preset to the default sweetfx_settings name, and rename the one you were using by adding additional words.

I think I'm doing something wrong. SweetFX doesn't change anything for me..

Did you get the ReShade notification when you started the game?
Sweetfx automatically set to on. On/off toggle is not working on the public release version, you'll need to download the beta version to get it to work.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there really no ways to increase the brightness in game? The game is super dark and the blacks are crushed... I can't see shit.

Shadownet

Banned
Sweetfx automatically set to on. On/off toggle is not working on the public release version, you'll need to download the beta version to get it to work.

No notification. I'm just going to delete SweetFX. is there like an installation or user guide for SweetFX when it come to Witcher 3? I'm an idiot so i'll need a guide.

b0bbyJ03

Rename the sweetfx_settings, and rename the ones you're not using by adding additional words in the end.

SweetFX_Settings Project Reality < this won't be loaded
SweetFX_Settings 1000 Times < this won't be loaded
SweetFX_Settings < this is the one you're using

If you want to switch, just rename your preferred preset to the default sweetfx_settings name, and rename the one you were using by adding additional words.

Sweet! sounds easy enough. Thanks

ISee

Ah right, found it... Bleh playing full screen sucks.

Yeah I know, but I got the same problem while playing in windowed. Only other workaround is to mess with my monitor settings and it took me long enough to fine tune and calibrate them so I am not going to mess them up for witcher 3.

I don't get the sweetfx thing, all it seems to do is desaturate stuff. Makes it less warm?

Some people are put off by the oversaturation of colors in this game, so that's what a lot of them seem to focus on. That, and the initial reveal was a lot less saturated,. so some are trying to emulate that style. You can actually make things MORE saturated if you wanted, but this game is already barfing colors all over the place, so that's not really too productive. There are a ton of other things SweetFX can do, but saturation tends to be more noticeable at first glance.

SaiyanRaoh

So what is the consensus on the general problem that's causing this game to randomly going back to the desktop/black screen/rebooting PC's? It it Nvidias fault or CD Projekts?

Salaadin

So what is the consensus on the general problem that's causing this game to randomly going back to the desktop/black screen/rebooting PC's? It it Nvidias fault or CD Projekts?

Anecdotal evidence for sure but considering that I havent had any crashes in any games or otherwise until 5/19, Im going to bet its the Nvidia drivers. Event Viewer shows the same error that blackscreens TW3 for me is the same error thats black screening me during web browsing....all started on 5/19.

Its their drivers and, for whatever reason, they are taking their sweet time fixing it.
Theres a pretty lengthy thread on Nvidias forums, if you care to read it:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-18-15-/60/

Im trying to be patient with them...but its just so frustrating.

Top Bottom