• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

M.D

I couldn't see and difference between high and ultra, so i went with high for the extra FPS.

Yeah, can't say that I see much of a difference..
Yesterday I set the game to low by mistake and the only reason I noticed was because the foliage pop-in ;s

spuckthew

Am I the only one without any issues with 1.04? Granted I downloaded the game after the patch already hit so that may have something to do with it.

I'm fine. I actually don't think my performance is any better or any worse, though, compared to 1.03. My only issues are sporadic driver crashing, but I think we've long established now that Kepler is broken with 352.86.

Gattsu25

Banned
Which files should I delete so that the 1.04 patch full rebuilds them with the updated config parameters (including the new LOD Bias)?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Is there some reason that steam in-game overlay doesn't work with this game? I've turned off Rivatuner and afterburner but I can't get the overlay to come up when I press Shift+tab. Screenshots don't work either yet, achievements still popup.

Shadownet

Banned
Is there some reason that steam in-game overlay doesn't work with this game? I've turned off Rivatuner and afterburner but I can't get the overlay to come up when I press Shift+tab. Screenshots don't work either yet, achievements still popup.

Do you have FRAPS running? or something similar? that's the problem for most people. Including me. I switched to using Steam in-game counter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
TextureMemoryBudget= [Ultra Value: 800]
Does anyone know what does this do? ^^ I've seen some people talked about it on here. I'm running at GTX 970. Will tweaking it give me any quality boost? How many fps is it going to drop?

Hi guys been following this thread sporadically. Got a couple of questions firstly what can I expect with an i7 and 780 (overclocked to Ti speed) with hairworks on and off. Also am i better to vsync this with rivatuner or is the in game vsync up to the job. I had in mind ultra hairworks on locked at 40fps? Possible?

s_mirage

I had in mind ultra hairworks on locked at 40fps? Possible?

No, not unless things really improve in future drivers. I've got a 780Ti and even overclocked it's not possible to hold 30fps at ultra with hairworks on. If the camera gets close to Geralt's head, the framerate tanks. If there are too many wolves on screen, the framerate tanks. Random other places with lots of foliage and water, the framerate......you get the picture.

Hairworks isn't worth it.

No matter what I adjust, the game won't use more than 1.7GB of VRAM. I've tried running [TextureMemoryBudget] from the Ultra default of 800 to 6400 and it does absolutely nothing.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the [TextureMemoryBudget] ini setting ever actually did anything? I think that might be the thing that's causing pop-in for me since moving to 1.04.

I've since deleted the user.settings config file to let the game create a fresh copy and the setting has now completely disappeared as if it was removed in the patch and just left there...uh...vestigially? Adding it back in has no effect.

It never seemed to do anything for me. I wish the game used 10 Gigs of VRAM just if it meant never loading a texture and seeing it stream in.

Instead, it sticks to around 1.7- 2.5 all the time.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Someone told me 80 degrees celcius is not normal for 980 in sli.
And then i found this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...b-video-cards-in-sli-overclocked/index14.html

Its normal.

It can go far higher http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

If your cards are pressed together, you may want to remove the backplate cover (on reference cards) to improve cooling.

It never seemed to do anything for me. I wish the game used 10 Gigs of VRAM just if it meant never loading a texture and seeing it stream in.

Instead, it sticks to around 1.7- 2.5 all the time.

In my experience, the setting raises the max number that can be stored. This can be seen after prolonged sessions, especially at 4K.

No, not unless things really improve in future drivers. I've got a 780Ti and even overclocked it's not possible to hold 30fps at ultra with hairworks on. If the camera gets close to Geralt's head, the framerate tanks. If there are too many wolves on screen, the framerate tanks. Random other places with lots of foliage and water, the framerate......you get the picture.

Hairworks isn't worth it.

Thank-you for the info. I'll turn hairworks off. Am I the same only one who feels the kepler cards are underperforming here - are people forgetting how powerful the GTX780 is? I had it down this card should be pushing out ultra settings for the next 5 years without breaking sweat looks like I may have to invest in a 980ti to keep up with nvidias selective optimization program

parabolee

With an OC'd 750ti you can expect to run console settings at a more stable framerate than consoles. Probably also with better AF.

No, there are lots of people (including me) without issues on 1.04.

Like with all issues, people experiencing them are a lot more likely to post.

I actually just tested it on a PC I am building for my son, only has Dual Core 3.5Ghz Athlon in it. But with a STOCK 750ti I was destroying the PS4 and Xbox One versions!

I was only running it at 900p but I had everything on Ultra except -

Shadows = High
Grass Density = Medium
Foliage distance = Medium
Textures = High
HairWorks = OFF

Which I believe pegs it higher settings than the PS4 version according to Digital Foundry. And it was running much smoother than the Xbox One version (I have not played the PS4 version).

There was some drops but the rate was 25-42. And felt pretty smooth. Would not take much tweaking to get a solid 30!

I've looked, and while sure it's been discussed somewhere in this hefty thread, I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone experimented with full screen + vsync vs borderless windowed as far as performance?

I'm seeing mixed suggestions on steam and other places. Some say it makes little difference, others that they're seeing a 10-15 fps improvement from full screen. Anyone test it out?

finalflame

I've looked, and while sure it's been discussed somewhere in this hefty thread, I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone experimented with full screen + vsync vs borderless windowed as far as performance?

I'm seeing mixed suggestions on steam and other places. Some say it makes little difference, others that they're seeing a 10-15 fps improvement from full screen. Anyone test it out?

Borderless fullscreen in nearly any game for me takes a hit of 8-15 FPS+. I am running on SLI 980s.

Fullscreen+VSync is the way to go if framerates are just bordering 60, IMO. In my case I just leave it uncapped on a 1440p/120hz monitor, as my framerate never goes above ~90-100.

Desaan

Borderless anything is more demanding, though it very much depends on your card and what you are playing. I would only recommend full screen and 3rd party tools for tweaking, the game is enough of a hog as it is.

Borderless fullscreen in nearly any game for me takes a hit of 8-15 FPS+. I am running on SLI 980s.

Fullscreen+VSync is the way to go if framerates are just bordering 60, IMO. In my case I just leave it uncapped on a 1440p/120hz monitor, as my framerate never goes above ~90-100.

Borderless anything is more demanding, though it very much depends on your card and what you are playing. I would only recommend full screen and 3rd party tools for tweaking, the game is enough of a hog as it is.

Thanks a lot! I had no idea it was such a substantial resource drain. I'm sitting around the 55-45 right now with borderless, and the thought of getting a near solid 60 is very exciting. Can't wait to give this a go when I get home.

lionpants

Has anyone been able to get solid 60 in Novigrad with Ultra settings? That's one of the only places my framerate fluctuates regularly.

GTX 970 here. Patch 1.04 seems to have worsened performance a bit for me.

Elsolar

Has anyone been able to get solid 60 in Novigrad with Ultra settings? That's one of the only places my framerate fluctuates regularly.

GTX 970 here. Patch 1.04 seems to have worsened performance a bit for me.

I run on a 970 and I get only FPS fluctuations only in Novigrad. It's because of my CPU (i5-3570k @ 3.9), my GPU is typically between 60 - 80% utilization in Novigrad, but the CPU will be 90 - 100% across all 4 cores. This is with all ultra settings, save for Hairworks (off), Foliage Distance (high), and Shadows (high).

Thanks a lot! I had no idea it was such a substantial resource drain. I'm sitting around the 55-45 right now with borderless, and the thought of getting a near solid 60 is very exciting. Can't wait to give this a go when I get home.

For me, borderless nearly cuts my framerate about 10 FPS. I don't know why the game sets borderless as standard.

CHC

Thank-you for the info. I'll turn hairworks off. Am I the same only one who feels the kepler cards are underperforming here - are people forgetting how powerful the GTX780 is? I had it down this card should be pushing out ultra settings for the next 5 years without breaking sweat looks like I may have to invest in a 980ti to keep up with nvidias selective optimization program

Kepler is underperforming with the latest drivers, Nvidia has acknowledged it on their forums after benchmarks showed the 970 to be 10-20 FPS ahead of the usually-roughly-equivalent 780 in the Witcher 3.

(Speaking of which, any ETA for the driver update Andy? Would I be a fool to hope for anything by the weekend? If you see this, thanks!)

J. Bravo

can I run it?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.3 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 460
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 2.9 GB
Memory 4.1 GB

edit: sysreqlab said I don't even meet the minimum specs haha. unless you guys say differently, I'll probably go ps4 for this one :p

Kezen

Banned
can I run it?

Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.3 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 460
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 2.9 GB
Memory 4.1 GB

I don't think so. You are well below minimum GPU specs.

Someone told me 80 degrees celcius is not normal for 980 in sli. Because it can melt your card! The treshold for a 980 is at 98c.
And then i found this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...b-video-cards-in-sli-overclocked/index14.html

Its normal.

I remember playing Crysis 2 on my 2x GTX285 SLI setup back in 2011. The cards would run so hot I could smell the plastic... checked one time and they were at 105c. Never crashed or anything, so np.

Love having a watercooled setup though... my 3 GTX680s hover around 45c when playing TW3.

Blitzhex

I think that's because SLI doesn't work in b/l windowed. On my single 970 I lose 1 fps using b/l windowed.

Anyone managed to fix the insane NPC pop-in patch 1.04 introduced?

Not npcs, but i have texture pop-in.

Was talking to a character who was in front of a brick wall. Every time the view switched to Geralt and then back to the guy, the wall behind him would be blank for maybe half a second before getting a brick texture. Seems certain rocks are really bad about this too. Sometimes the texture is there, disappears a moment for no reason, and reappears.

Sil

Banned
I'm re-installing right now because of 1.4 pop-in. Installing vanilla currently and will install 1.3 from GoG to get back to the awesome performance I had.

Teaches me to only manually patch SP games that are performing fine.

Vamphuntr

I get an hilarious glitch where people's flesh won't load. I had a flesh-less Triss simply floating and not animated moving around casting magics.

Rodin

can I run it?

Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.3 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 460
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 2.9 GB
Memory 4.1 GB

edit: sysreqlab said I don't even meet the minimum specs haha. unless you guys say differently, I'll probably go ps4 for this one :p

If you can upgrade to 8GB RAM and at least a GTX 960, i say go for it (they also give you a code to download the game from gog with that card). Otherwise, PS4 is still a pretty solid choice.

Google

I had some of the weird stuttering when walking/riding and panning the camera last night for the first time in about 7 hours of play.

The major difference was that the game had updated and I was playing with an XBONE controller for the first time.

Could it be that there is some weird compatibility issue between using a controller and the way the game handles the movements?

I didn't have any of those issues when playing with mouse and keyboard.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
I'm fine. I actually don't think my performance is any better or any worse, though, compared to 1.03. My only issues are sporadic driver crashing, but I think we've long established now that Kepler is broken with 352.86.

Not just Kepler. My 970. I reinstalled 352.86 yesterday to see if it was any more stable with the new patch, I even clicked the clean install box, but I didn't run a driver cleaner.

Everything seemed to be OK till just a couple minutes ago, two back to back driver crashes while browsing Neogaf. Haven't had a game up for at least an hour. Rolling back to the GTAV drivers again, completely stable there.

I'm not going to wipe my stable-in-every-other-driver-version overclock just because .86 is allergic. I've heard others here state their OCed cards have no problem with .86, but that just goes to show how randomly unstable this release is. Hopefully they can push out a fixed version soon.

I had some of the weird stuttering when walking/riding and panning the camera last night for the first time in about 7 hours of play.

The major difference was that the game had updated and I was playing with an XBONE controller for the first time.

Could it be that there is some weird compatibility issue between using a controller and the way the game handles the movements?

I use a 360 controller and I don't have the stuttering problems. Can't speak for xbone!

Vamphuntr

I'm playing with an XBONE controller and don't have this issue.

have an i5 3570, a gtx 970, 8gb ram and have been running it with hairworks and near ultra ( shadows on medium, foliage at high) at 2560x1440 on my gsync monitor. Framerate ranges from 30-45 fps during gameplay, which I am totally fine with. But during the dialogue scenes the framerates can range from 22- 50 fps in the same conversation, and the dips are really distracting. I have the latest patch and driver.
Are the dialogue scenes generally considered bad for everybody?

knerl

Not just Kepler. My 970. I reinstalled 352.86 yesterday to see if it was any more stable with the new patch, I even clicked the clean install box, but I didn't run a driver cleaner.

Everything seemed to be OK till just a couple minutes ago, two back to back driver crashes while browsing Neogaf. Haven't had a game up for at least an hour. Rolling back to the GTAV drivers again, completely stable there.

I'm not going to wipe my stable-in-every-other-driver-version overclock just because .86 is allergic. I've heard others here state their OCed cards have no problem with .86, but that just goes to show how randomly unstable this release is. Hopefully they can push out a fixed version soon.
Which browser do you use? Chrome? I re-installed 352.86 last night as well, but I did use a driver cleaner (DDU) and so far after a days use including browsing and playing several games it haven't crashed yet. I'm using Firefox though.

Blitzhex

have an i5 3570, a gtx 970, 8gb ram and have been running it with hairworks and near ultra ( shadows on medium, foliage at high) at 2560x1440 on my gsync monitor. Framerate ranges from 30-45 fps during gameplay, which I am totally fine with. But during the dialogue scenes the framerates can range from 22- 50 fps in the same conversation, and the dips are really distracting. I have the latest patch and driver.
Are the dialogue scenes generally considered bad for everybody?

With hairworks on cutscene fps spikes randomly yeah, stable without it.

To the folks using a GTX 770, what settings/resolution are you on and what fps are you getting?

From what I could gather there's only two options at 1080p on a 770: turning everything to low and getting a 60 FPS, or capping at 30 and cranking the effects to high or above. Anything other than the lowest settings isn't yielding a constant 60 for me, which IMO a constant framerate is the only way to go.

It's a hard trade-off. I mean, the game really doesn't look that bad on the lowest settings so maybe I can do that.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
X6 1090T OC to 3.8Ghz
a meger 4GB DDR3 (but again, 4, 8 or 16 barely shows a difference in gaming performances)
Installed on samsung 850 SSD
R9 280 3GB gpu

The game is gorgeous and runs so well (had hairworks on initially but switched to off because its not worth the performance imo).

1 crash in 15 or so hours.

Awaiting on AMD drivers to improve things but honestly, i prefer they take their time to release something that actually doesnt crash my game constantly because right now, it just works.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Which browser do you use? Chrome? I re-installed 352.86 last night as well, but I did use a driver cleaner (DDU) and so far after a days use including browsing and playing several games it haven't crashed yet. I'm using Firefox though.

Chrome, yeah. You just reminded me I read the crashing may be Chrome Specific.

If so it should be an easier fix for Nvidia. I might consider using Firefox in the interim, I think I notice an improvement in FPS on 352.86 (but maybe not) which might make it worth the jump.

Wavebossa

To the folks using a GTX 770, what settings/resolution are you on and what fps are you getting?

From what I could gather there's only two options at 1080p on a 770: turning everything to low and getting a 60 FPS, or capping at 30 and cranking the effects to high or above. Anything other than the lowest settings isn't yielding a constant 60 for me, which IMO a constant framerate is the only way to go.

It's a hard trade-off. I mean, the game really doesn't look that bad on the lowest settings so maybe I can do that.

770GTX user here. I have 2 in SLI (best performance deal you can get today) but I can turn one off and let you know when I get home from work.

Top Bottom