• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

LeBart

Can someone with a single 970 PLEASE tell me what frame rate they get at 4k (DSR or native, I don't mind), HairWorks off, shadows medium, AA off, foliage distance scaling high, and everything else maxed out. Please please please you'll be doing me a huge favour because then I'll have an actual legitimate figure to compare something to. It's a long story, but please, if anyone has the time, I'll be eternally grateful.

I get between 25 and 30 fps in Oxenfurt and Crookback Bog with these settings.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
How does one download DLC when they have the standalone game (no Galaxy) installed.

I ask because a friend of mine...

EDIT - Nvm, found it on the Gog.com download page for TW3, no patch 1.05 there yet though.

There is no 1.05, the DLC doesn't affect the version number.

mintylurb

I got my replacement card yesterday and while I didn't play for too long(an hour), didn't experience any crash during the play.
As some have alluded to in this thread, since the latest patch, I've noticed more npc pop-in and geralt's beard pop-in as well..oh well

Pit

Still haven't actually got to play this yet, I've had the EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION error the entire time. Anyone got any surefire fixes? I've tried everything I can think of or have read online. Somebody mentioned that it was referring to the game trying to access memory it shouldn't be?

For the people that are getting stutter, have you tried monitoring your frame times? At the moment, I'm playing on my 65" TV @ 1080p 60hz w/ a single Titan X and using in-game vsync w/ no frame limiter, and I get zero stutter unless my fps drops, causing my frame times to spaz out. No stutter = rock solid 16.7ms frame times in my case. This is while running/walking/riding, panning camera slow and fast, watching the birds, etc.

Can someone with a single 970 PLEASE tell me what frame rate they get at 4k (DSR or native, I don't mind), HairWorks off, shadows medium, AA off, foliage distance scaling high, and everything else maxed out. Please please please you'll be doing me a huge favour because then I'll have an actual legitimate figure to compare something to. It's a long story, but please, if anyone has the time, I'll be eternally grateful.

I tested in Velen and White Orchard and get 22-26fps. There's no major stutters as if the card is on it knees, seems playable. I tried on medium and get 26-31fps.

970 in my experience is more like a 1620-1800p card. 2160p in modern games like AC Unity tend to sit in the 20-26fps range.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm, I haven't experienced that issue.

Gallop through some barren fields near Novigrad and watch as the camera jumps up and down when following Roach. In this situation it seems the camera isn't sufficiently elastic when characters move up and down.

Around 25-30 fps for me.

tuxfool

Banned
Just a question, but has AMD officially commented on drivers for this game? I still curse myself the day I got this 280X. 970 came out literally a few weeks later.

Beyond crossfire why are people so desperate for AMD drivers?

The game runs really great with the current drivers. I don't seem to be experiencing the widespread crashing that Nvidia users are, or is this happening on AMD drivers as well?

This game has been disgustingly stable for me, accepting overclocks that die quickly on other games.

grendelrt

Still no Crossfire profile from AMD, what the fuck are they doing? Have to resort to overclocking my primary card about 15% to get acceptable near-max performance at 1440p.

Absolutely no crashes or stuttering though, amusingly enough.
This is why I switched, I missed out at launch on Crysis 2 and Deus ex hr, took them like 6 weeks to get a working Crysis 2 profile out. I want to say they were late on Witcher 2 as well. I really want to go back sometimes, but it's not worth missing the big triple a releases that I paid full price for not having support ready from AMD.

mintylurb

For the people that are getting stutter, have you tried monitoring your frame times? At the moment, I'm playing on my 65" TV @ 1080p 60hz w/ a single Titan X and using in-game vsync w/ no frame limiter, and I get zero stutter unless my fps drops, causing my frame times to spaz out. No stutter = rock solid 16.7ms frame times in my case. This is while running/walking/riding, panning camera slow and fast, watching the birds, etc.

After much tinkering, that setting produced the best experience for me as well.
Unlimited frame, in-game vsync, full screen results in almost stutter free 59.5 - 60 fps gameplay at 1080P(of course w/o hairworks and foliage/shadow at high).
Only time framerate drops during gameplay is when opening the in game menu to save which drops the frame rate to 57 fps.

SmartBase

This is why I switched, I missed out at launch on Crysis 2 and Deus ex hr, took them like 6 weeks to get a working Crysis 2 profile out. I want to say they were late on Witcher 2 as well. I really want to go back sometimes, but it's not worth missing the big triple a releases that I paid full price for not having support ready from AMD.

The only reason I have two R9 290s is because I got them slightly used for the price of a single 780. I've said plenty of times I'm never making that mistake again, but I also said that when I had two HD4890s.

I still get stuttering when walking, jogging, and when I'm on the horse as well. Also when moving around quickly through forests and towns it seems to stutter as well. This all happens with a rock solid 30 fps lock with unwavering 33.3ms frame times.

The game runs really great with the current drivers. I don't seem to be experiencing the widespread crashing that Nvidia users are, or is this happening on AMD drivers as well?

This game has been disgustingly stable for me, accepting overclocks that die quickly on other games.

Yeah, it's not like the game is not running flawlessly without a new driver.
Even Nvidia users with the "game ready" drivers ended up rolling back their driver to previous version to avoid crashes etc.

So setting the FPS to 30 and running on Ultra settings with full window mode on is great. Smooth and so far I haven't seen it drop below 30 yet. 1080P

Intel i5
EVGA SSC 970 GTX
8 gig ram

Edit:
Also, Vsync off

Derp

I get between 25 and 30 fps in Oxenfurt and Crookback Bog with these settings.

I tested in Velen and White Orchard and get 22-26fps. There's no major stutters as if the card is on it knees, seems playable. I tried on medium and get 26-31fps.

970 in my experience is more like a 1620-1800p card. 2160p in modern games like AC Unity tend to sit in the 20-26fps range.

Around 25-30 fps for me.

Daaaaaamn. Thank you guys a lot, seriously. Really appreciate it. So it's safe to assume 30 fps isn't an option with those settings it seems.

Reason I was asking was because I have a 780 Ti, which in many games performs similarly to a 970. In TW3, it was supposedly a lot worse (kepler problem, blah blah blah), but there's the Kepler fix coming so what I wanted to know was how much fps I could expect if we assume the fix pushes my performance closer to that of a 970. From the figures you guys have posted it seems like the performance is only a few fps off what I'm getting now (so the Kepler issue doesn't seem to have hit my card as hard as I originally thought), so it looks like I'll be sticking with 1440p 30 fps.

Again, thank you so much guys.

MaLDo

Hmm, I haven't experienced that issue.

Surprisingly I started to see that problem after 1.04 patch.

Riding a horse, without using run key, walk slowly in a straigh line. The world will stutter once every second. The problem disappear if you use the "run" key.

Is not a renderer stutter problem, but an incorrect re-position of the camera or something like that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jesus, you have to click extras, scroll to the individual DLCs download them open the download folder and install them manually. GoG Galaxy has some ways to go :lol.
Why couldn't Witcher 3 just have the launcher like Witcher 2 did for setting up mods, downloading DLCs and enabling/disabling them

Edit: Regarding Armour sets, do they just magically appear in your inventory or do you have to buy them? I'd prefer the latter really, otherwise it feels like cheating. Sorry for the off topic questions

leng jai

I think I have the same with another SweetFX preset. I just upped the gamma in the game. I wonder if it can be tweaked in the SweetFX settings?

I tried changing the gamma but mine seems to be broken. No matter what I change it to it doesn't actually make a lick of difference.

thuway

I remember when the Omega drivers released and I received a 15% boost across the board on a majority of my games. I'm hoping for something similar to that before I dip my feet in. :)

Surprisingly I started to see that problem after 1.04 patch.

Riding a horse, without using run key, walk slowly in a straigh line. The world will stutter once every second. The problem disappear if you use the "run" key.

It's always been there for me. Looking at ps4 video's they have it as well.

LeBart

Jesus, you have to click extras, scroll to the individual DLCs download them open the download folder and install them manually. GoG Galaxy has some ways to go :lol.
Why couldn't Witcher 3 just have the launcher like Witcher 2 did for setting up mods, downloading DLCs and enabling/disabling them

Edit: Regarding Armour sets, do they just magically appear in your inventory or do you have to buy them? I'd prefer the latter really, otherwise it feels like cheating. Sorry for the off topic questions

I don't know if you have to buy them or if they appear in a chest somewhere, but I know the day one set doesn't show up in your inventory.

Just a PSA that newegg has the MSI 970 for $299 right now. For those of you on older cards might be worth a look.

On my 970 I'm at 1080p ultra everything except no hairworks and foliage distance on high and getting mostly locked 60fps. You can alsoax everything at 1080p at get 35-45 fps ballpark or a locked 30.

Tempting, but I'd feel stupid if a larger drop in price came in a month. Bah. Very tempting.

Axial

You have to buy them, both the Temerian and Horse armor sets are available from the very first merchant which you encounter in White Orchard.

Brockxz

No you don't have to do all that with Galaxy. The DLC appeared as normally but I think there is some problem and they removed it. Here is from twitter: https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/603552632557428736
So wait a little bit.

Profanity

To anyone still getting NPC/foliage pop-in problems with 1.04:

Delete your user.ini and user.settings.ini files in Documents/The Witcher 3. It'll rebuild them when you restart the game, and you'll have to reset all of your options settings, but it it brought me back to the 1.03 standard of pop-in (negligible).

So setting the FPS to 30 and running on Ultra settings with full window mode on is great. Smooth and so far I haven't seen it drop below 30 yet. 1080P

Intel i5
EVGA SSC 970 GTX
8 gig ram

Edit:
Also, Vsync off.

OK so I turned Vsync back on. I noticed tearing but still hitting 30 consistently at ultra everything. 1080P

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wish I understood why I get grass pop-in issues when using tweaks that increase distance/density over Ultra, but only under specific circumstances and certain locations, versus those who don't. It really does seem like an issue with the renderer and maybe some cap or limit to how much data will be streamed in a single scene, versus the hardware available. Quite odd.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
To anyone still getting NPC/foliage pop-in problems with 1.04:

Delete your user.ini and user.settings.ini files in Documents/The Witcher 3. It'll rebuild them when you restart the game, and you'll have to reset all of your options settings, but it it brought me back to the 1.03 standard of pop-in (negligible).

Hmm, might need to do this when I get home. I haven't noticed foliage popin but NPC popin is pretty bad for me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Graphic artifacts becoming more weirder after patch v1.04.....

gdrmbl.jpg

GPU at full load only 70 degrees (after clean driver install btw), CPU around 63-65 degrees. Why am I getting artifacts?

My specs just in case:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 1100Mhz 3GB VRAM 6000Mhz 384 bit (GA-R928XO3)
RAM: 8GB DDRIII

Folks with r9 290x 4gbs...

How if your performance? I started with everything cranked to Ultra, HBAO+, no Hairworks, 1080p, and while I never dipped into the 30s but for one time, I still felt like the framerate was fluctuating a lot more than I wanted it to between the low 40s and 60.

I went from borderless windowed, to full screen with vsync upon some suggestions, but that seemed to do very little if anything for me performance wise.

I dropped shadows, grass density, and foliage distance down to high, and I will say it stick a lot closer to 60 most of the time (Though I'm still seeing the 40s in the bogs). Does this sound normal to folks? I can't help but feel I should be able to wring a bit more out of this card.

Edit: Additional Question - Is the steam integrated fps counter a reasonable way to measure your performance? I know there are more complex tools, but I really don't need that.

Graphic artifacts becoming more weirder after patch v1.04.....

gdrmbl.jpg

GPU at full load only 70 degrees (after clean driver install btw), CPU around 63-65 degrees. Why am I getting artifacts?

My specs just in case:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 1100Mhz 3GB VRAM 6000Mhz 384 bit (GA-R928XO3)
RAM: 8GB DDRIII

Better get saving for a new card.... Lol in all seriousness I've never noticed any artifacted apart from when I first played the game and had my card overclocked. Bringing it down to factory settings my game has ran flawlessly. GPU at full load and temps around 67 degrees.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Better get saving for a new card.... Lol in all seriousness I've never noticed any artifacted apart from when I first played the game and had my card overclocked. Bringing it down to factory settings my game has ran flawlessly. GPU at full load and temps around 67 degrees.
I did not OC the GPU myself it is a stock OC. GPU is brand new btw and I bought it yesterday.

I did not OC the GPU myself it is a stock OC. GPU is brand new btw and I bought it yesterday.

Hmmm, the fact your card is brand new could be the key. Maybe you have a faulty card? Yeah mine has a stock OC as well so you shouldn't really be getting any artifacting. I'm not aware of any artifacting-esque bugs per se in the game. I'd keep an eye on it.

BNGames

Posted my Patch 1.04 updated benchmark video testing my SLI GTX 980's at Ultra settings

https://youtu.be/u-j9s0O9LhA

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Durante

Because your OC isn't stable.

Yes, stock OCs are sometimes not stable, I've had it happen on my previous card (also a Gigabyte, for that matter). Test if reducing the frequency by 10% or so fixes the issue.

Evo X

Damn, I had no idea you had to do that. No wonder they weren't showing up for me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hmmm, the fact your card is brand new could be the key. Maybe you have a faulty card? Yeah mine has a stock OC as well so you shouldn't really be getting any artifacting. I'm not aware of any artifacting-esque bugs per se in the game. I'd keep an eye on it.
I have already stress tested GPU in Fire Strike benchmark without getting any artifacts, same thing with FurMark at full load with up to 80 degrees (as you know already, I'm getting artifacts at 70 degrees) - same thing, no artifacts.

There's some guy from official CDPR forum who's also getting artifacts and glitches after patch v1.04 - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/41673-Graphic-Artifacts-and-Glitching-since-1-04

Because your OC isn't stable.

Yes, stock OCs are sometimes not stable, I've had it happen on my previous card (also a Gigabyte, for that matter). Test if reducing the frequency by 10% or so fixes the issue.
Okay, I will try to lower the GPU clock to 1000 MHz and will post the results later.

d3vnull

Kinda disappointed with my performance. Framerate is ok on high settings, in the 30s - 40s, but in Novigrad it takes a huge hit and can fall below 30 fps.

Not even using the recommended GeForce Experience settings.

Nvidia GTX 780
Intel i5 2500k @4.3GHz

Is the CPU bottle-necking my performance?

cametall

The only artifacting I've had was outside Oxenfurt, killing rotfiends. When they exploded my screen went crazy with their blood splatters. It took up the entire screen and flashed for a second or two.

But after that happened a few times my game crashed due to a memory leak. Since then I haven't had any artifacting issues.

Top Bottom