• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Tried locking the game at 30 so I could use Hairworks without dipping (without the limit it fluctuates between 40-60) but halving the frame rate makes seeing the actual effect while in motion on anything but the largest creatures almost impossible. Sure I can appreicate it if I stand still or hover over the dead bodies, but it seems utterly pointless otherwise.

I hope they release a 'creatures only' update at some point. If I can score 50-60 at least without Geralt's do eating my frames it would be worth it.

Did you try the hairworks 2x MSAA tweak? I found it performed much better

mintylurb

This is true of the game's rural areas, which is why so many of the initial performance reports about the game said it was light on CPU usage, but dense urban areas are quite the opposite. The game is very well optimized (CPU usage scales across an arbitrary number of cores, and it will use 90%+ of each core under demanding circumstances), but Novigrad is very dense with CPUs, which I think stresses the game's asset streaming system as you move around the city (CPU usage tends to be highest when moving, as is typical of modern engines).

As a quick comparison, my system typically uses ~50% of each CPU core and 80-90% of my GPU while in rural Velen. In Novigrad however, CPU usage spikes to 90%+ on each core and GPU usage drops off a bit (typically 60-80%), while my frame rate holds around ~50 FPS. The good news is that simply running around the Novigrad doesn't exactly require twitch reflexes, and the game supports triple buffering out of the box, so the stutter is very subtle, easy to overlook.

EDIT: This is without hairworks, by the way, which is known to cause massive performance degradation in any situation with multiple actors near the camera.
I have the same cpu as you do, but oc'd to 4 ghurtz and 980 classified. Framerate is between 59.5 - 60 fps when I'm running around Novigrad(All ultra setting except Hairworks off, foliage and shadow at high).

Froli

I take it back. The patch reset some of the graphics options to Low, and when I put the sliders back to where they were CPU usage is 70% again. Too bad.

For those who are having High CPU usage 70 to 80% on cities and villages, can you guys try this? Use unlimited FPS, V-Sync ON. And then use an external program that limits the fps (Set the FPS to 30)

It will most likely bring it down to 25-30% cpu usage. Can someone also explain why is this working?
Read it on Reddit.

b0bbyJ03

I just installed SweetFX yesterday and I'm wondering, when the game is patch to 1.05 (and so on), will that affect it? Will SweetFX have to be reinstalled or reconfigured in any way?

Evo X

Just wanted to mention to anyone using MSI Afterburner with TW3 that version 4.1.1 is available for download on Guru3D. It now supports core voltage control for Titan X and the upcoming 980ti, among many other improvements to hardware monitoring, etc.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

NICE! Thanks for posting this. I can finally add some volts to my Titan X to see what it can really do.

It doesn't look that bad in motion to be honest, it also helps break up the noodles.

I don't like 2XMSAA for closeups of his beard during cut scenes and dialogue. You lose some of the finer detail. It doesn't make much of a performance difference on my setup anyway, so that's why I don't bother lowering it from 8X.

Shadownet

Banned
Two questions.

1) You can take screenshots with SweetFX. But what folder does it store it in?

2) Anyone know what the toggle on/off button for SweetFX is?

MisterM

*sigh* got a couple more crashes. Just The Witcher 3 has stopped working. Only started since I installed 1.04. Might backup my saves and do a reinstall.

viveks86

For those interested in taking screenshots, the debug console enabler now allows you to use the in-game free cam, which is as easy to use as any game's photo mode. It has fantastic gamepad support as well. Download the files from here and follow the included instructions. After that, following is how you use the free cam:

Step 1: Use the in-game pause menu whenever you want to freeze time
Step 2: Enter "testpause" in console (press ~). This will freeze the game even if you exit the menu
Step 3: Press F1 to enter free cam mode
Step 4: Move freely using gamepad (left analog for movement, right analog for rotation, d-pad for fov and yaw, Y & A for elevation. Hold left trigger for accelerated movement. It's fully analog as well, so gives great camera control. WASD keyboard shortcuts work as well and R does tilt, but I don't know the other keys yet.
Step 5: Take screenshots like you normally would.
Step 6: Disable free cam using F1 (or B on gamepad)
Step 7: Enter "testunpause" in console to resume game

wowzors

When you edit the user settings INI file to tweak them higher like the ngidia guide shows do your settings in game appear to be set at low?

Iceternal

So ... no matter what we do, there's always going to be stutttering right ?

I tried Durante's solution with Borderless window + Rivatuner but I still get bad stuttering even though my fps stays locked at 30 fps.

Also , is there any way to downsample while using borderless window ? Or does it have to be full screen ?

I guess I'm gonna have to deal with that stuttering ...

But it seems to have something to do with the loading of assets though, since when Geralt stays still and I rotate the camera, I don't get any, but as soon as he runs, stuttering all over the place...

Random_Stranger

Neo Member
Here's hoping 1.05 will let me finally start playing. Been over a week, and all hours I've put into the game have gone to try and fix the stuttering issue. At this point I would almost welcome a new problem. At least something different to work on.

Lingitiz

Anytime fog gets into a scene my framerate just tanks. The Ciri bathhouse scene killed my FPS on a 670.

Any update on those drivers for Kepler?

ValfarHL

For those who are having High CPU usage 70 to 80% on cities and villages, can you guys try this? Use unlimited FPS, V-Sync ON. And then use an external program that limits the fps (Set the FPS to 30)

It will most likely bring it down to 25-30% cpu usage. Can someone also explain why is this working?
Read it on Reddit.

Wait.. It's now a BAD thing that a game utilizes your hardware properly?

Zakalwe

Banned
Did you try the hairworks 2x MSAA tweak? I found it performed much better

I've not. My 970 gets 60 in some open areas with it on currently, but usually sits between 40-50 @1080 with a mix of high/ultra.

What system do you have and how much of a difference does the tweak make?

(In Paris atm, won't be back to my PC in London till Friday or I'd check myself)

Shadownet

Banned
For those interested in taking screenshots, the debug console enabler now allows you to use the in-game free cam, which is as easy to use as any game's photo mode. It has fantastic gamepad support as well. Download the files from here and follow the included instructions. After that, following is how you use the free cam:

Step 1: Use the in-game pause menu whenever you want to freeze time
Step 2: Enter "testpause" in console (press ~). This will freeze the game even if you exit the menu
Step 3: Press F1 to enter free cam mode
Step 4: Move freely using gamepad (left analog for movement, right analog for rotation, d-pad for fov and yaw, Y & A for elevation. Hold left trigger for accelerated movement. It's fully analog as well, so gives great camera control. WASD keyboard shortcuts work as well and R does tilt, but I don't know the other keys yet.
Step 5: Take screenshots like you normally would.
Step 6: Disable free cam using F1 (or B on gamepad)
Step 7: Enter "testunpause" in console to resume game

Is there any way to turn off hud when you're taking a picture?

viveks86

Is there any way to turn off hud when you're taking a picture?

Other than manually doing it in the options, there is a work around:

Step 1: As soon you load the game, type dlgshow and dlghide in the console
Step 2: Whenever you want to hide the HUD while in free cam mode, open up the console and use arrow keys to retrieve and invoke dlgshow
Step 3: When you want to reset the HUD, invoke dlghide with arrow keys

You will need to use arrow keys here because free cam mode reserves wasd keys for camera movement.

It's kind of a pain typing all these console commands but once you have all these in your console history, invoking them with arrow keys makes it trivial.

I had zero problems with the game until 1.04.

Multiple times the game has completely frozen on me. Latest nVidia driver. Have made sure to close chrome.

WTF.

Are there any guides to what options I should have for SLI 970s in nVidia Control Panel? I have no idea what type of settings to use for anything or what most of the options even mean.

I'm noticing a lot more glitches since 1.04. Misaligned textures (some are just wrong, others are fixed with a game restart), bodies not laying down when dead, and stepping through land. I guess the isles could just be less polished since I haven't been there long, but the funky textures and dead bodies are a new one.

The borderless window/fullscreen setting still never stays. It doesn't really bother me (since fullscreen refuses to minimize properly), but if I wanted to play exclusively in fullscreen, I'd probably pull my hair out. As I type this, I wonder if it's RivaTuner causing the problem. I'll have to test.

Game still could be my GOAT. :D

*edit* Yeah, seems like it's RivaTuner.

cripterion

Nvidia Hairworks is really strange... it looks great on the fur hats of some skelligers but in my opinion, it looks off on Geralt hair and even on the creatures, it looks nothing like what was shown in the early trailers with the infamous wolf and bear gif.

I keep it on cause I still can run the game decently with it but it's pretty disappointing overall.

PnCIa

I'm noticing a lot more glitches since 1.04. Misaligned textures (some are just wrong, others are fixed with a game restart), bodies not laying down when dead, and stepping through land. I guess the isles could just be less polished since I haven't been there long, but the funky textures and dead bodies are a new one.

The borderless window/fullscreen setting still never stays. It doesn't really bother me (since fullscreen refuses to minimize properly), but if I wanted to play exclusively in fullscreen, I'd probably pull my hair out. As I type this, I wonder if it's RivaTuner causing the problem. I'll have to test.

Game still could be my GOAT. :D

*edit* Yeah, seems like it's RivaTuner.
Do you use the fps limiter function? Cause thats why i use Rivatuner, the ingame limiter doesnt work so well.

So ... no matter what we do, there's always going to be stutttering right ?

I tried Durante's solution with Borderless window + Rivatuner but I still get bad stuttering even though my fps stays locked at 30 fps.

Also , is there any way to downsample while using borderless window ? Or does it have to be full screen ?

I guess I'm gonna have to deal with that stuttering ...

But it seems to have something to do with the loading of assets though, since when Geralt stays still and I rotate the camera, I don't get any, but as soon as he runs, stuttering all over the place...

Once you have your custom resolutions set up (assuming you're using Nvidia hardware) you can change your desktop resolution to a higher one before you start the game. This will allow you to use borderless windowed for any custom resolution you set.

This is the crap I'm starting to notice. Anyone else getting this? Anyone far enough in the game to check the lighthouse in Skellige also? The stairs leading up to it are all messed up. The pictures aren't spoilers, just a guy sitting down, I covered over the text, but I won't embed them.

http://imgur.com/iJr4A1S

http://imgur.com/hWnpmh7

This sounds stupid, but it's like all the textures moved over a few feet, so grass in floating in the air, and you can walk through rocks. Game has been really solid up until this point, but now this stuff keeps happening.

Checking more stuff out. I loaded up a 1.02 save from the start of the game, and the first bridge to town isn't aligned correctly, and you see a gap where it should be flush with the ground. Rocks are floating there, and more of the walking through the ground is going on. If others aren't seeing this like crazy, I'm curious WTF is going on.

http://imgur.com/S7aJcXP
http://imgur.com/7JRyzjk

Hi
NfduNiX.jpg

Suddenly, today, NPC pop-in has become crazy. Every NPC seems to pop in about 10 ft in front of me. This would happen occasionally before tonight but now it's happening constantly.

Azax

Running on a GTX 780, 3570k and 16 Gb ram.
Runs pretty good with all ultra except folige and shadow and hairworks. Mostly 60 frames at 1080p but happened that it went down to 30 during night in the woods.
Havn't crashed once and I have played for 2 hours.

AEREC

Been getting weird crashes on my new 970...with the GTAV drivers it would crash and minimize to desktop with audio still playing. After installing the W3 NVidia drivers it freezes then crashes to a black screen, however I can still heard audio and the controls still work...just cant see anything on the screen.

So random too...I can play for hours without issue.

didamangi

Other than manually doing it in the options, there is a work around:

Step 1: As soon you load the game, type dlgshow and dlghide in the console
Step 2: Whenever you want to hide the HUD while in free cam mode, open up the console and use arrow keys to retrieve and invoke dlgshow
Step 3: When you want to reset the HUD, invoke dlghide with arrow keys

You will need to use arrow keys here because free cam mode reserves wasd keys for camera movement.

It's kind of a pain typing all these console commands but once you have all these in your console history, invoking them with arrow keys makes it trivial.

I hope they patch in a hotkey for this in the keybinding options. Witcher 2 has it, kinda weird they didn't include this in W3.

Running on a GTX 780, 3570k and 16 Gb ram.
Runs pretty good with all ultra except folige and shadow and hairworks. Mostly 60 frames at 1080p but happened that it went down to 30 during night in the woods.
Havn't crashed once and I have played for 2 hours.

What driver are you running? Did they ever fix the issue with Kepler cards?

SaiyanRaoh

I'm not well versed on how drivers work but I don't understand something. Witcher III crashes for me like crazy. Why does it still continue to crash when I'm no longer using 352.86? I have uninstalled then rolled back to every driver dating back to Nov and I still get crashing.
Did these newest drivers write something into windows to have these crashes continue to happen?
I can't believe I went from zero crashes the first couple days of release to......I can barely get into the damn game.

Evo X

I'm not well versed on how drivers work but I don't understand something. Witcher III crashes for me like crazy. Why does it still continue to crash when I'm no longer using 352.86? I have uninstalled then rolled back to every driver dating back to Nov and I still get crashing.
Did these newest drivers write something into windows to have these crashes continue to happen?
I can't believe I went from zero crashes the first couple days of release to......I can barely get into the damn game.

Crashes aren't always the fault of the drivers. Could be buggy game or unstable overclock.

Newest drivers have been rock solid for me, so I'm tempted to think the cause is one of the other two.

knitoe

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use that program to totally uninstall the video card drivers. Then, install whichever driver version you want.

leng jai

Tried another Sweetfx preset other than Viveks' one but I'm still getting ridiculous amounts of black crush. Guess I'll just stick to the default colour scheme (which I don't mind).

Not sure how people can play with it though, I literally can't see shit at night time.

i'm inclined to suspect you have an unstable OC somewhere in your system - have you OCed any of your components?

i've been playing since launch and haven't experienced a single crash, no matter how hairy a situation i throw at it [ie - running a million background programs / browser windows, alt-tabbing like a MFer, playing for hours & hours on end, etc].

ss_lemonade

What driver are you running? Did they ever fix the issue with Kepler cards?
No, I don't think so. Still waiting for news in the nvidia forums
Do you have anything overclocked (gpu or cpu)? I had a ton of crashes too until I lowered my cpu overclock

Top Bottom