• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Kinda disappointed with my performance. Framerate is ok on high settings, in the 30s - 40s, but in Novigrad it takes a huge hit and can fall below 30 fps.

Not even using the recommended GeForce Experience settings.

Nvidia GTX 780
Intel i5 2500k @4.3GHz

Is the CPU bottle-necking my performance?

No, your CPU is more than capable for this game, but there have been plenty of complaints about Kepler performance.

mm04

I did finally see some graphical glitch, I think, in the underground lair with Keira. Some of the undead down there went totally white on occasion, but changed back after death. I didn't look natural, so I assume that's something wrong.

On another note, I collected a bunch of Greater Axii glyphs. Do those percentages stack?

Daaaaaamn. Thank you guys a lot, seriously. Really appreciate it. So it's safe to assume 30 fps isn't an option with those settings it seems.

Reason I was asking was because I have a 780 Ti, which in many games performs similarly to a 970. In TW3, it was supposedly a lot worse (kepler problem, blah blah blah), but there's the Kepler fix coming so what I wanted to know was how much fps I could expect if we assume the fix pushes my performance closer to that of a 970. From the figures you guys have posted it seems like the performance is only a few fps off what I'm getting now (so the Kepler issue doesn't seem to have hit my card as hard as I originally thought), so it looks like I'll be sticking with 1440p 30 fps.

Again, thank you so much guys.

An overclocked 780ti should perform like a 980, outside of Witcher 3 and tess of course. Running 4k is a great leveller though but could mean you mostly run at 30 instead of mostly just running under.

Graphic artifacts becoming more weirder after patch v1.04.....

gdrmbl.jpg

GPU at full load only 70 degrees (after clean driver install btw), CPU around 63-65 degrees. Why am I getting artifacts?

My specs just in case:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 1100Mhz 3GB VRAM 6000Mhz 384 bit (GA-R928XO3)
RAM: 8GB DDRIII
that looks like a video card on its way out or a poorly performing OC'd card

Kinda disappointed with my performance. Framerate is ok on high settings, in the 30s - 40s, but in Novigrad it takes a huge hit and can fall below 30 fps.

Nvidia GTX 780
Intel i5 2500k @4.3GHz

What gfx settings are you using? I've got everything on ultra apart from foliage distance on high and shadows on hight, no hairworks, and I'm getting a completely solid 30fps on a 770. So I'm suprirsed to hear your performance on a 780!

Having a weird problem with the Nvidia DSR feature. A few days ago I ticked the 2x box and it was fine. I went in to choose some other factors today, but every time I hit apply it fails and I get a pop up saying "access denied, failed to apply selected settings". I can't even deselect the 2x option and apply it, same fault.

froliq

Nvidia GTX 780
Intel i5 2500k @4.3GHz

I've been getting smooth 60fps almost all the time so far with my 780 running on 1241Mhz with the following settings:

Hairworks off, HBAO+ and AA on. Shadow and grass on medium. Foliage distance, detail and terain on high. Water and texture on ultra.

The overclock can cause random crashes as reported by many others, but it hasn't bothered me as much. Sometimes it'll be flawless for entire evening or it can crash 3 times within 10 minutes in menu's/gwent. My GPU overclock, shadows on medium and foliage on high are absolutely needed to achieve this.

A video would show it off really wellll....

So wait, is patch 1.05 out?

I'm having the same animation-induced stuttering as well. It's like Geralt's animation updates several times within a frame and causes the camera to jump forward to follow, it's really annoying and random. Might be related to the fps being above 60 (I'm on a 120Hz monitor) or something, but I haven't been able to track down any real cause.

My fps is solid though, I can recognize fps induced stuttering immediately and this is definitely not that.

What's weird is that sometimes the game will play fine for hours with no issue at all, then suddenly it's jumpy camera central. Maybe it has something to do with asset streaming, though I have the game on an SSD and everything loads super fast (maybe too fast? lol).

Using GTX 970, so it's not a kepler problem.

I'm having the same animation-induced stuttering as well. It's like Geralt's animation updates several times within a frame and causes the camera to jump forward to follow, it's really annoying and I seems really random. Might be related to the fps being above 60 (I'm on a 120Hz monitor) or something, but I haven't been able to track down any real cause.

My fpg is solid though, I can recognize that kind of stuttering immediately and this is definitely not that.

What's weird is that sometimes the game will play fine for hours with no issue at all, then suddenly it's jumpy camera central. Maybe it has something to do with asset streaming, though I have the game on an SSD and everything loads super fast (maybe too fast? lol).

It is definitely tied to his gait and the way the camera updates to follow the uneven movement, and not a framerate thing. No worries there (I am also 120hz locked at 60 fps). Imagine it like this (with exagerated numbers to make a point): Geralts movement over 1 second is 22 meters... if continuous the camera would move at 22 meters a second to follow him there would be no jerk and sputter. The thing though is that geralt is a human so his gait isn't continuous, especially when jogging. So it is more like Geralt's gait is actually about 28 m/s for most of that one second, but then as his weight adjusts it goes down temporarily to idk.. 10 m/s for a short time. It still averages to 22 m/s though.

The problem is the camera is tied 1:1 with his movement (geralt always maintains the same distance from the camera)... so in that moment when he goes to 10/s the camera immediately follows and jerks violently. If it instead had a constant motion of 22m/s (the average over 1 second of his gait).. geralt would just move slightly closer to the camera during the weight shifting portion of his gait.

That is how I view the current camera jerk problem while running and while on the horse.

Helznicht

I've been getting smooth 60fps almost all the time so far with my 780 running on 1241Mhz with the following settings:

Hairworks off, HBAO+ and AA on. Shadow and grass on medium. Foliage distance, detail and terain on high. Water and texture on ultra.

The overclock can cause random crashes as reported by many others, but it hasn't bothered me as much. Sometimes it'll be flawless for entire evening or it can crash 3 times within 10 minutes in menu's/gwent. My GPU overclock, shadows on medium and foliage on high are absolutely needed to achieve this.

Can those stating specs and performance also include the res they are using? With the new mipmap texture setting, I dont think 1080p can be a given anymore as the texture shimmering is quite noticeable.

Is hairworks worth lower fps? I have gtx 970 and 4770k.
It looks neat, Geralt's hair is a bit of a hit or miss with many people (seen it mentioned as noodle hair), but when you see the effects on a pack of wolves or a couple bears coming your way it looks really really cool. Forget any hope for a stable framerate if you do turn it on though. You'll get framerates in the low 40s most of the time with even deeper dives in close quarters.

Sakinavir

Neo Member
I am undeciable. I love stable frame rate and nice hair works but hate when it drops to low 40 when use witcher sense. I play one hour with hairworks on and one hour with it off.

gdrmbl.jpg

GPU at full load only 70 degrees (after clean driver install btw), CPU around 63-65 degrees. Why am I getting artifacts?

My specs just in case:

I've been getting artifacts like crazy with the game when I OCed. Didn't have any problem when I played Ground Zeroes or The Evil Within with my GPU OCed.

tuxfool

Banned
It is definitely tied to his gait and the way the camera updates to follow the uneven movement, and not a framerate thing. No worries there (I am also 120hz locked at 60 fps). Imagine it like this (with exagerated numbers to make a point): Geralts movement over 1 second is 22 meters... if continuous the camera would move at 22 meters a second to follow him there would be no jerk and sputter. The thing though is that geralt is a human so his gait isn't continuous, especially when jogging. So it is more like Geralt's gait is actually about 28 m/s for most of that one second, but then as his weight adjusts it goes down temporarily to idk.. 10 m/s for a short time. It still averages to 22 m/s though.

The problem is the camera is tied 1:1 with his movement (geralt always maintains the same distance from the camera)... so in that moment when he goes to 10/s the camera immediately follows and jerks violently. If it instead had a constant motion of 22m/s (the average over 1 second of his gait).. geralt would just move slightly closer to the camera during the weight shifting portion of his gait.

That is how I view the current camera jerk problem while running and while on the horse.

Yeah. They need to add some tolerance in the camera. I feel they do it somewhat for the boat as when there are heavy waves the camera doesn't quite bounce as hard.

parabolee

Easy_D said:
Jesus, you have to click extras, scroll to the individual DLCs download them open the download folder and install them manually. GoG Galaxy has some ways to go :lol.

Damn, I had no idea you had to do that. No wonder they weren't showing up for me.

You DO NOT have to do this. All you have to do is check the boxes under CONFIGURE > AVAILABLE CONTENT.

They will auto install. The armour is available to by at certain stores and the hair/beard options are available at the barbers. No idea about the alternative look for Yennefer though.

Blitzhex

I've been getting artifacts like crazy with the game when I OCed. Didn't have any problem when I played Ground Zeroes or The Evil Within with my GPU OCed.

Your OC was probably always unstable, the other game's just didn't stress your card enough to expose it. Similar to unstable CPU OCs where you only crash after the 24 hour mark of prime95. If you never ran it long enough you wouldn't know if it was truly 100% stable like stock.
I'm running my 970 strix to the max it would go 1454mhz/7800mhz, haven't had a crash or artifact in 86 hours of play.

Qassim

should I sli my 680 by buying another one or do I buy a 970?

how's sli performance for games now a days?

SLI performance is mostly pretty good these days, there was a small rough patch last year where SLI profiles were late a few times, but I've generally been happy with my two 780s.

However, in your situation I'd suggest just going straight for a 970, in your position I wouldn't buy another 680. You'll get a more consistent and better experience overall than with two 680s, even if the two 680s could pull in higher frame rates. Plus you'll get the new Maxwell features to take advantage of and likely better driver support.

Elsolar

Nvidia GTX 780
Intel i5 2500k @4.3GHz

If your performance in Novigrad is noticeably worse than your performance in rural areas, then it's most likely your CPU. Novigrad is very hard on CPUs, but (relatively) easy on GPUs. I have a CPU slightly better than yours (i5-3570k @ 3.9GHz) and I get framerate dips in Novigrad. Not below 30, but you might want to download a measuring utility to find out exactly where the bottleneck is.

If your performance in Novigrad is noticeably worse than your performance in rural areas, then it's most likely your CPU. Novigrad is very hard on CPUs, but (relatively) easy on GPUs. I have a CPU slightly better than yours (i5-3570k @ 3.9GHz) and I get framerate dips in Novigrad. Not below 30, but you might want to download a measuring utility to find out exactly where the bottleneck is.

Hrmm. I have a 2500k and will have to keep an eye on this. I heard the game was really light on cpu stressing.

The-Bean

If you want to know whether it's GPU or CPU bottlenecking you then run MSI Afterburner in the background to monitor GPU usage.

If the GPU usage is at 99% during the framerate dips then you're being GPU bottlenecked.
If the GPU usage is below 99% during the framerate dips then you're being CPU bottlenecked.

Elsolar

Hrmm. I have a 2500k and will have to keep an eye on this. I heard the game was really light on cpu stressing.

This is true of the game's rural areas, which is why so many of the initial performance reports about the game said it was light on CPU usage, but dense urban areas are quite the opposite. The game is very well optimized (CPU usage scales across an arbitrary number of cores, and it will use 90%+ of each core under demanding circumstances), but Novigrad is very dense with CPUs, which I think stresses the game's asset streaming system as you move around the city (CPU usage tends to be highest when moving, as is typical of modern engines).

As a quick comparison, my system typically uses ~50% of each CPU core and 80-90% of my GPU while in rural Velen. In Novigrad however, CPU usage spikes to 90%+ on each core and GPU usage drops off a bit (typically 60-80%), while my frame rate holds around ~50 FPS. The good news is that simply running around the Novigrad doesn't exactly require twitch reflexes, and the game supports triple buffering out of the box, so the stutter is very subtle, easy to overlook.

EDIT: This is without hairworks, by the way, which is known to cause massive performance degradation in any situation with multiple actors near the camera.

SLI performance is mostly pretty good these days, there was a small rough patch last year where SLI profiles were late a few times, but I've generally been happy with my two 780s.

However, in your situation I'd suggest just going straight for a 970, in your position I wouldn't buy another 680. You'll get a more consistent and better experience overall than with two 680s, even if the two 680s could pull in higher frame rates. Plus you'll get the new Maxwell features to take advantage of and likely better driver support.

Hmmm I'm thinking I might just build a new computer. Keep the 680 and my I5 2500k As a backup. I think it's time for a new processor and gpu

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You DO NOT have to do this. All you have to do is check the boxes under CONFIGURE > AVAILABLE CONTENT.

They will auto install. The armour is available to by at certain stores and the hair/beard options are available at the barbers. No idea about the alternative look for Yennefer though.

Oh? Thank you for telling me so :lol. I forgot that GoG Galaxy actually runs the install files in the background for you. Should have realised that when the same folder had the original install files too

So whats the over/under on amd actually getting a driver out this week?
I'm curious of this myself, but not really in a hurry, game seems to run just fine on AMD GPUs afaik.

MisterM

:( Just got my first crash since installing my 970. "The Witcher 3 has stopped working"it was fine last time I played, hoping it's a one off and not to do with the 1.04 patch I just installed.

Edit - Just happened again. Argghhh!! I guess there's no way to roll patches back without reinstalling, right?

Your OC was probably always unstable, the other game's just didn't stress your card enough to expose it. Similar to unstable CPU OCs where you only crash after the 24 hour mark of prime95. If you never ran it long enough you wouldn't know if it was truly 100% stable like stock.
I'm running my 970 strix to the max it would go 1454mhz/7800mhz, haven't had a crash or artifact in 86 hours of play.

I remember playing Ground Zeroes on 4K. But maybe that is different.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
that looks like a video card on its way out or a poorly performing OC'd card
It's so strange that Gigabyte didn't tested this GPU at 1100 MHz core clock before releasing it at this state. But something tells me that the problem with artifacts will only be present in The Witcher 3 cuz it is very GPU dependent game. Anyway, after lowering GPU clock to 1000 MHz I did not seen a single artifact when playing the game for almost 4 hours straight, so I guess it was not stable stock OC after all, well, at least in case with The Witcher 3 :)

Which GPU you're using and how much do you OC it (GPU core and Memory frequency)?

heringer

I am undeciable. I love stable frame rate and nice hair works but hate when it drops to low 40 when use witcher sense. I play one hour with hairworks on and one hour with it off.

Turn on hairworks, crank up the resolution, put everything on Ultra and lock the framerate to 30.

I don't mind Geralts hair without hairworks, but the beard is so much better with the setting turned ON.

MisterM

OK, panic over it seemed like SweetFX was crashing the game.

Have they added some new battle music with patch 1.04? I'm not getting the Shakira wailing now in battle.

AU Tiger

It glitches sometimes during conversation too ... for example when you talk to Igor during the Whoreson Junior quest ! The game forgot to enable this effect during the conversation except at like the very end of it .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYnY37lp7co

Look at 2'25, you'll see the lighting glitching between the two states.

I think it comes from the fact that Geralt glows in the dark and creates an unflattering light.

WAT

Jesus it's like there is just no world/environmental lighting at all being applied to him... It looks like this in virtually every indoor environment I've seen. Walk in from bright sunny day into an unlit hut and the visibility of Geralt's face doesn't change at all (X_x)

should I sli my 680 by buying another one or do I buy a 970?

how's sli performance for games now a days?

I would sell the 680 and get a 970 simply for the fact that you get DX12 compatibility and more VRAM. You could always add another 970 later down the road
when the 980ti and new AMD cards push 970 prices down

Red Hood

Banned

My specs just in case:

You've over-clocked your card, right? That most likely explains the artefacts. I had the same issues with my Sapphire Dual-X version of the same card when I tried a (rather small) overclock. Try running the game on stock GPU speed, that should do the trick.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It is boost clock, default clock is of course 1000 MHz.

http://www.thundercomputers.com/vpasp700deluxe/shopexd.asp?id=77987&bc=no

Maybe they simply forgot to lower the GPU Clock to default 1000MHz and offer boost clock as an option, I don't know, but what I know for sure - I did absolutely nothing to OC GPU. I just bought it, install it and that's it (^_^)

Well... As a a few others have pointed out, you may have got a bad card. I beat my head against a wall for a solid week with my first R9 290x, getting all kinds of artifacting and graphical glitches before I got fed up with it and sent it back. Bought another new one and never ran into a single one of those problems. Sometimes you get unlucky.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well... As a a few others have pointed out, you may have got a bad card. I beat my head against a wall for a solid week with my first R9 290x, getting all kinds of artifacting and graphical glitches before I got fed up with it and sent it back. Bought another new one and never ran into a single one of those problems. Sometimes you get unlucky.
Well, there is warranty so I can at any time take new GPU, but I want to find out the cause of the problem with this card by testing other games with stock 1100 MHz OC, plus as someone already pointed out sometimes you can get GPU with unstable stock OC, so GPU acutally can work fine at the default 1000 MHz clock. Not to mention that for 1100 MHz core clock you need something better than stock cooler with 3 fans, water cooling for example or something like that :)

Zakalwe

Banned
Tried locking the game at 30 so I could use Hairworks without dipping (without the limit it fluctuates between 40-60) but halving the frame rate makes seeing the actual effect while in motion on anything but the largest creatures almost impossible. Sure I can appreicate it if I stand still or hover over the dead bodies, but it seems utterly pointless otherwise.

I hope they release a 'creatures only' update at some point. If I can score 50-60 at least without Geralt's do eating my frames it would be worth it.

Top Bottom