• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

heringer

Tried another Sweetfx preset other than Viveks' one but I'm still getting ridiculous amounts of black crush. Guess I'll just stick to the default colour scheme (which I don't mind).

Not sure how people can play with it though, I literally can't see shit at night time.

Fantasy is a great preset, but there's some crushed black. The one I use is very very similar, but the shadows and blacks are brighter since the last version.

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3712/

Dries

Just watched the DF video showing which locations they benchmarked. Sure looks like they avoided areas in which my framerate cripples. I'm talking the dense forests and swamps. A missed opportunity in my eyes.

heringer

What are the most intensive areas in your experience guys? I'm still in Velen, but so far the bogs while raining are the most stressfull parts.

s_mirage

No, there's nothing saying that every card shipped is 100.00% stable at stock clocks.

If a card isn't stable at stock clocks, it is defective. OC induced crashes should not happen at stock clocks as the chip is supposed to be rated as error free at those clocks.

The_Poet

Banned
No. Just because it's fine on everything else doesn't mean it's stable. On my 780ti I had to reduce my clock offset from +200 to +175 because of artifacts appearing in Shadow of Mordor. That game and that game alone had problems. It will be a similar case here; if a game crashes when the card is overclocked, the oc isn't stable, period.

The fact that these OC crashes are happening consistently across a wide range of cards and varying OC levels suggests that there is something in the game causing crashes to be way more likely then normal.

The fact that these OC crashes are happening consistently across a wide range of cards and varying OC levels suggests that there is something in the game causing crashes to be way more likely then normal.

The fact that the crashes occur on cards that are overclocked out of the box and running at default clocks is some serious cause for concern. Has anyone determined whether CPU overclocks play a part in this?

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Sure it can, when the card is faulty.

Or when software is faulty.

The hardware is not the only factor when it comes to the stability of an overclock. The game and more importantly the graphics driver can play a large part.

Nvidia has stated they're looking into 352.86, the Witcher 3 game ready driver, and the issues that have been brought up the last week by many people. There's a huge thread over on their forums. It is clearly not a stable release for everyone that uses it. I mean it crashes on the fucking desktop, for many people, me included, when nothing is under any type of stress at all. That 352.86 is working fine for many people is just further proof that it's either seriously allergic to certain system configuration, or it's just randomly unstable.

If a card isn't stable at stock clocks, it is defective.

Or the software is.

SinSilla

I'm seeing artifacts since 1.04 as well, only on exploding monsters though. Had no such issues on 1.03. I'm running the factory OC on a gigabyte gtx970 g1

hoserx

Actually its proving that many people think they have stable overclocks, while in reality they do not.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Actually its proving that many people think they have stable overclocks, while in reality they do not.

While potentially the case, we don't have hard proof of anything at this stage.

What we do have is acknowledgement from Nvidia that they are looking into their latest WHQL driver release not only for system stability issues but also serious performance issues with Kepler. I think the drivers (or potentially other software, including the game) play a larger role in this than many people seem to think.

hoserx

While potentially the case, we don't have hard proof of anything at this stage.

What we do have is acknowledgement from Nvidia that they are looking into their latest WHQL driver release not only for system stability issues but also serious performance issues with Kepler. I think the drivers (or potentially other software, including the game) play a larger role in this than many people seem to think.

Sure, drivers may be causing instability in this game but that doesn't have to do with their specific overclock. If you're crashing, yet able to not crash at lower frequencies, that means your overclocked frequencies are not stable.

I definitely agree that there are driver issues and other bugs in the game, but this situation happens every time a game that hardware to the limits is released. Folks think their overclock that worked just fine playing TF2 or CS:GO was stable.....turns out when you peg your GPU / CPU for long periods of time, weaknesses are exposed.

hoserx

No it isn't. The drivers are fucked. Many people are getting driver crashes on frigging Google Chrome even after downclocking their cards.

Which means the crashes had nothing to do with clock speeds at all, right? So the overclock doesn't even matter. I'm talking about situations where lowering clock speeds eliminates crashes / errors..... those are by definition unstable overclocks.

SliChillax

Which means the crashes had nothing to do with clock speeds at all, right? So the overclock doesn't even matter. I'm talking about situations where lowering clock speeds eliminates crashes / errors..... those are by definition unstable overclocks.

I guess so, my PC was constantly crashing with the new drivers even with overclocking disabled while just browsing facebook and neogaf. Reverted to the old drivers and cranked the overclock up again, no crashes.

mm04

Guess I'm giving up on Hairworks. Even with 2 970's and a 2600k@4.4, I can't get 1080p60 consistently.

That doesn't sound right. I just ran a quick informal test running around Novigrad, so not exactly scientific, but at 1080p with everything on Ultra, AA on, HairWorks using an i5 4690k@4ghz and 2x970 I was getting mostly 70s with some dips into mid-60s. I typically get low 60s to mid-50s (some cutscenes dive into the high 40s, but I don't care) in normal gameplay at 1440p with HairWorks on, everything at Ultra except foliage and grass set to High and AA off. So your experience at 1080p didn't seem normal to me. Are you sure you're not set to borderless windowed mode on accident? That kills framerate for me.

CHC

New driver to fix kepler performance is in testing now according to a post on geforce forums.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/37hxro/nvidia_driver_update_to_fix_600700_series_kepler/

Saw the post on the GeForce forums yesterday, hopefully the update will come today or tomorrow but I don't really know what kind of timeframe "testing" implies.

(Semi-related, but browsing the GeForce forums really makes me want to kiss the feet of NeoGAF's moderators.... That place is a veritable cesspit, like 4chan levels of trash posts.)

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Sure, drivers may be causing instability in this game but that doesn't have to do with their specific overclock. If you're crashing, yet able to not crash at lower frequencies, that means your overclocked frequencies are not stable.

I definitely agree that there are driver issues and other bugs in the game, but this situation happens every time a game that hardware to the limits is released. Folks think their overclock that worked just fine playing TF2 or CS:GO was stable.....turns out when you peg your GPU / CPU for long periods of time, weaknesses are exposed.

I can't completely agree with your first paragraph. In particular, when something is (further?) effecting stability other than simple clock changes. I've switched back and forth between the last two Nvidia driver releases several times, just for Witcher 3, in the last week and a half. 352.86 crashes both in game and out of game, just browsing the net. 352.86 crashes less frequently in game when I lower my overclock 30Mhz. Still crashes quite randomly on the desktop, particularly Chrome. Since I can lower my overclock and see stability improve it is strictly a hardware issue?

350.12 doesn't crash at all. Not once, days of testing, and that's without having to lower my overclock at all. It has been my default driver because of this.

The driver can indeed effect overclock stability. Software is always a potential suspect in any form of instability.

Going to post a few more pictures of all the screwed up textures I'm seeing in my game.

nrszHOk.jpg

oYOLDDY.jpg

And grass/rocks/debris is just floating in the air in so many places...

http://imgur.com/UhVELqa

Others aren't seeing this? I'm not just talking a few cases, it's often, and in obvious roads and such, not just out of the way, optional places.

SliChillax

Going to post a few more pictures of all the screwed up textures I'm seeing in my game.

nrszHOk.jpg

oYOLDDY.jpg

http://imgur.com/UhVELqa

Others aren't seeing this? I'm not just talking a few cases, it's often, and in obvious roads and such, not just out of the way, optional places.

Looks like a faulty gpu to me. Try lowering the gpu clock speed.

s_mirage

Geometry errors like that are typical signs of a bad overclock. If you're not overclocking, and nobody else with your card is seeing this, that would make me concerned about the health of your card.

I'm really curious now if this game is revealing a lot of hitherto undiscovered, not quite 100% stable GPUs/factory overclocks.

shandy706

LOL @ people that think it's an OC problem.

It's not, it's a driver problem in 99.9% of the cases. The EXACT same crash is seen on hundreds/thousands of GPUs OC'ed or not...JUST on this one game, and is far greater on the "game ready" driver.

It's a software problem, partially the game, partially the driver perhaps. Either way, it's not every single GPU across multiple gen releases all suddenly having OC problems...LOL(again).

hoserx

I can't completely agree with your first paragraph. In particular, when something is (further?) effecting stability other than simple clock changes. I've switched back and forth between the last two Nvidia driver releases several times, just for Witcher 3, in the last week and a half. 352.86 crashes both in game and out of game, just browsing the net. 352.86 crashes less frequently in game when I lower my overclock 30Mhz. Still crashes quite randomly on the desktop, particularly Chrome. Since I can lower my overclock and see stability improve it is strictly a hardware issue?

350.12 doesn't crash at all. Not once, days of testing, and that's without having to lower my overclock at all. It has been my default driver because of this.

The driver can indeed effect overclock stability. Software is always a potential suspect in any form of instability.

Is your gpu usage higher with the newer drivers? Is the card working harder in other ways? If so, the driver is only helping to make the instability of your overclock more evident. What happens when you run a stress test on the card with non-game software?

hoserx

LOL @ people that think it's an OC problem.

It's not, it's a driver problem in 99.9% of the cases. The EXACT same crash is seen on hundreds/thousands of GPUs OC'ed or not...JUST on this one game, and is far greater on the "game ready" driver.

It's a software problem, partially the game, partially the driver perhaps. Either way, it's not every single GPU across multiple gen releases all suddenly having OC problems...LOL(again).

This is something I agree with. I doubt these crashes have very much to do with folks' overclocks. If they're able to run the game fine at lower frequencies it may, but I tend to think you are right here.

After some crashes the first couple of days, the game has run like a dream on my main PC. I don't know if it was switching to unlimited frame rate, full-screen instead of windowed borderless, or the game updates, but haven't had a crash in a week.

...Until I tried running on my secondary PC. Not that it's a big deal or anything as there's always the main PC to go back to, but sometimes the missus and I like to just kick back and play a game in the bedroom. Steam In-Home streaming is an option for this, but despite a wired connection, I'm not overly enamored with the image quality. So then I tried just playing on the machine itself:

1.) AMD Phenom II X4 940
2.) 8 GB Ram
3.) GeForce GTX 770

Honestly, it runs it well enough on low/medium settings. And my wife was able to play for about an hour the other night with no incident. However, since then I can't seem to play more than 10 minutes without a crash that necessitates closing from task manager. I know the card had a factory overclock. I tried lowering the clock speed through Afterburner, but maybe I'm just not enough of a power user to know what I'm doing, as I never mess with overclock settings.

Anybody been able to fix constant crashing? Like I said, I'm not all that concerned about it as the game runs great on my main machine. But I just liked the flexibility of being able to play in different rooms without having to deal with In-Home Streaming.

Brockxz

The best way to check if that's games glitch or your systems is to ask someone other to the same spot and check if they have.
I have a friends who plays Witcher 3 too and he sometimes also sees those misaligned textures or something like that but for now out of all those times he spotted only one time we found a place where there was actually a graphical glitch in game and not particular systems where we both saw exactly same thing.

This is something I agree with. I doubt these crashes have very much to do with folks' overclocks. If they're able to run the game fine at lower frequencies it may, but I tend to think you are right here.

I spoke about these crashes pages back but I knew it was my OC as I was getting multicoloured artifacts in the sky, put my OC down to factory and has worked flawlessly ever since.

My 680 SLI's fans won't stop running at max...this game really runs them hot.

More importantly, I'm still getting drops from 60 to 50 even with High / Medium settings, on a 3570K @ 4.2. I'm not sure if it's the alleged kepler issue, or my systen just isn't good enough.

If it weren't for the loading times, I'd be playing it console. As shitty as 30 / sub-30FPS is, I'm finding drops from 60 to be a lot more jarring. Couple that with my fans running at max non-stop. As stupid as that probably sounds...dealing with this bullshit after hours of tweaking is fucking frustrating.

The best way to check if that's games glitch or your systems is to ask someone other to the same spot and check if they have.
I have a friends who plays Witcher 3 too and he sometimes also sees those misaligned textures or something like that but for now out of all those times he spotted only one time we found a place where there was actually a graphical glitch in game and not particular systems where we both saw exactly same thing.

I'm the only one I know playing it, so I was hoping somebody on here would know what I'm talking about. I'd be OK with others saying they don't see that...replacing my PSU/GPU isn't that huge of a deal at this point, but I need to know that is the cause first. :) Temps are always good, I've tested it OC and stock speeds (7850 2GB), but if it's hardware related, it wouldn't matter, since the damage is already done.

If someone could check Woesong Bridge right at the start of the game, it could answer my question. On the side closer to the town, there is a big gap where the bridge does not meet the ground. I reinstalled the game, tried different versions, started up a new game to get to that point, and I still see it.

The-Bean

If it weren't for the loading times, I'd be playing it console. As shitty as 30 / sub-30FPS is, I'm finding drops from 60 to be a lot more jarring. Couple that with my fans running at max non-stop. As stupid as that probably sounds...dealing with this bullshit after hours of tweaking is fucking frustrating.

Why not just lock it to 30 then? If the loading times weren't so bad you would rather play console, with drops below 30, than lock the game to 30 and never drop below? :S Use MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and lock it to 50.

Brockxz

If someone could check Woesong Bridge right at the start of the game, it could answer my question. On the side closer to the town, there is a big gap where the bridge does not meet the ground. I reinstalled the game, tried different versions, started up a new game to get to that point, and I still see it.

Just checked that bridge, everything is perfectly aligned there, no gaps or misplaced textures or any other graphical glitches.

My 680 SLI's fans won't stop running at max...this game really runs them hot.

More importantly, I'm still getting drops from 60 to 50 even with High / Medium settings, on a 3570K @ 4.2. I'm not sure if it's the alleged kepler issue, or my systen just isn't good enough.

Lock to 30?

I am having a hard time understanding your problem. That would cause your fans to spin less and for you to have a consistent experience.

Why not just lock it to 30 then? If the loading times weren't so bad you would rather play console, with drops below 30, than lock the game to 30 and never drop below? :S Use MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and lock it to 50.

Lock to 30?

I am having a hard time understanding your problem. That would cause your fans to spin less and for you to have a consistent experience.

Yeah, but I need to justify my PC purchase by getting it to run stably at 60.

Surely a 680 SLI should perform as well as a 980, VRAM aside, since The Witcher 3 doesn't even use 1.7+ GB VRAM @ 1080p on Ultra.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Is your gpu usage higher with the newer drivers? Is the card working harder in other ways? If so, the driver is only helping to make the instability of your overclock more evident. What happens when you run a stress test on the card with non-game software?

Usage is a constant ~99%, either driver. Frame rate is the same, or very slightly better on 350.12, as I mentioned I'm able to run at higher clocks. I haven't run any stress tests for months, after I settled on a stable clock.

This issue is still, as I see it, that for 9 months and over several driver versions, this overclock has been rock solid. A week and a half ago I install a new driver and play a new game that crashes quite a lot. Many other people report the same. Upon installing old driver, crashes disappear. Driver is more responsible for crashes than clock values.

If so, the driver is only helping to make the instability of your overclock more evident.

That's the point. Driver is effecting stability. Neither of us know why. I happen to think it's a bug, based on my system stability on many driver versions before this, and not a new intended feature of the driver.

Yeah, but I need to justify my PC purchase by getting it to run stably at 60.

Surely a 680 SLI should perform as well as a 980, VRAM aside, since The Witcher 3 doesn't even use 1.7+ GB VRAM @ 1080p on Ultra.

Well wait a bit. But I think it is kinda silly to want to justify your pc pruchas ein such a manner. It is unrealistic and doesnt taken into account that you are using SLI and the fact that.. welll... hardware doesnt arbitrarily mean you have a certain framerate.

Vlaphor

I overclocked my previous processor (I7 930 2.8 ghz to 4) and it wasn't as stable as it should have been...but only when doing things I rarely did. I could throw any game at it and it ran just fine, but heavy benchmarks or video encoding would cause a BSOD. I had a bios profile named encoding, which was just the stocks speeds, then I'd reboot and bring back the oc for everything else.

cametall

Might be anecdotal, but any time I have Afterburner open, even at stock OC (evga's OC), the game will crash. When I close Afterburner the game doesn't crash (outside of a memory leak once). I'm using an evga 970, latest drivers, everything on ultra except shadows and foliage (both on high) hair off, full screen, frames unlimited. No ini tweaks.

My 3570k is OCd to 4.2ghz for what that's worth. 8gb RAM.

Xyber

Fantasy is a great preset, but there's some crushed black. The one I use is very very similar, but the shadows and blacks are brighter since the last version.

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3712/

You get crushed blacks with a lot of presets because the black level settings are too high.

This is the standard for Fantasy.

Code:
   /*----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                       Levels settings                      /
  '----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define Levels_black_point 16     //[0 to 255] The black point is the new black - literally. Everything darker than this will become completely black. Default is 16.0
#define Levels_white_point 235    //[0 to 255] The new white point. Everything brighter than this becomes completely white. Default is 235.0

Lowering the black point should reduce the crushed blacks.

hoserx

Usage is a constant ~99%, either driver. Frame rate is the same, or very slightly better on 350.12, as I mentioned I'm able to run at higher clocks. I haven't run any stress tests for months, after I settled on a stable clock.

This issue is still, as I see it, that for 9 months and over several driver versions, this overclock has been rock solid. A week and a half ago I install a new driver and play a new game that crashes quite a lot. Many other people report the same. Upon installing old driver, crashes disappear. Driver is more responsible for crashes than clock values.

That's the point. Driver is effecting stability. Neither of us know why. I happen to think it's a bug, based on my system stability on many driver versions before this, and not a new intended feature of the driver

I suppose we'll find out when nvidia releases a new driver, but I still think the good majority of cases where people are able to drop clocks (on either driver) and operate problem free, are in fact unstable overclocks.

hoserx

Might be anecdotal, but any time I have Afterburner open, even at stock OC (evga's OC), the game will crash. When I close Afterburner the game doesn't crash (outside of a memory leak once). I'm using an evga 970, latest drivers, everything on ultra except shadows and foliage (both on high) hair off, full screen, frames unlimited. No ini tweaks.

Anecdotal info is how bugs are found. Your information is valuable. BF4 refuses to work with afterburner for me, yet evga precision works fine........

That being said, I run W3 with afterburner all the time. Maybe its the combination of software youre running.

cametall

Anecdotal info is how bugs are found. Your information is valuable. BF4 refuses to work with afterburner for me, yet evga precision works fine........

That being said, I run W3 with afterburner all the time. Maybe its the combination of software youre running.
I'll give precision a try and see if I still get crashes.

Top Bottom