• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When is the game supposed to start running like crap for some people? Like location wise or something. Because I'm running super steady 59-60 with everything maxed at 1080p everywhere around the starting village where you do various sidequests. I guess it's only at higher res that it starts giving away?

i5 4690k 2x970 SLI and 16GB ram, the horror stories in this thread had me worried but it's smooth sailing for now /shrug

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
When is the game supposed to start running like crap for some people? Like location wise or something. Because I'm running super steady 59-60 with everything maxed at 1080p everywhere around the starting village where you do various sidequests. I guess it's only at higher res that it starts giving away?

i5 4690k 2x970 SLI and 16GB ram, the horror stories in this thread had me worried but it's smooth sailing for now /shrug

if anything this comes off more like a bragging post.

I have a 4690k, single 970 with factory OC, 8GB ram, and the game is locked at 1080/60 with almost everything at ultra (shadows and foliage at high).

I only get slowdowns in Novigrad, assuming because of NPC count. There it drops to 55-60.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

You're not wrong but it wasn't the intention, weather you choose to believe that or not it's up to you. I've been holding off starting the game because of the various "omg I have a titan and it still runs like shit" stories I kept reading, to the point where I was questioning my 6 month old rig. So while I played it earlier I kept waiting for it all fall apart and it didn't. Plus the rig isn't even that brag worthy, maybe the 970s SLI but even those are old news these days lol :p

Like I said I dont delve into downsampling or anything So if the starting area is a indication of the rest of the game that's all I wanted to know to be happy

I have a 4690k, single 970 with factory OC, 8GB ram, and the game is locked at 1080/60 with almost everything at ultra (shadows and foliage at high).

I only get slowdowns in Novigrad, assuming because of NPC count. There it drops to 55-60.

That zone is late in the game? 55-60 is still in the "you only notice it because you have msi afterburner on" zone for me

CHC

Dude it's the performance thread.... people come here to talk about what setup they have and how the game runs on it.....

The abandoned village is probably the most demanding area in the White Orchard, but nowhere near the most demanding area in the game. Good spot to stress test some settings right off the bat.

RIP GTX 780.... Seriously I can barely scrape out 30 FPS in that area, been using it for testingy settings.

Antti

This might be placebo, but it seems like the 1.04 patch did something weird to my graphics settings. Game seemed to run worse after I applied the patch, even though when I went to the settings it showed most stuff on low. I tinkered with my settings, setting stuff like I assume they were before the patch (higher), and it seems like the game runs better even in Novigrad. Some INI tweaks that messed up the settings, showing them as low when in fact they were not?

Rhaknar

The abandoned village is probably the most demanding area in the White Orchard, but nowhere near the most demanding area in the game. Good spot to stress test some settings right off the bat.

That...sounds familiar? Not sure if I've been there, I didn't play much, I'll keep an eye out.

Dude it's the performance thread.... people come here to talk about what setup they have and how the game runs on it.....

Also this /shrug It's all good

CHC

This might be placebo, but it seems like the 1.04 patch did something weird to my graphics settings. Game seemed to run worse after I applied the patch, even though when I went to the settings it showed most stuff on low. I tinkered with my settings, setting stuff like I assume they were before the patch (higher), and it seems like the game runs better even in Novigrad. Some INI tweaks that messed up the settings, showing them as low when in fact they were not?

The game will display "low" if it doesn't match the set parameters of a given preset, in this case it basically means "custom". I think it was due to the new mip-map stuff they added to textures, makes the game say they are low since it doesn't match line-for-line what used to be defined as ultra.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better but you get the idea.

RIP GTX 780.... Seriously I can barely scrape out 30 FPS in that area, been using it for testingy settings.

I may have been a little hyperbolic. Performance dip in that area is similar to the more demanding areas in the game. I go there to test new settings and if I can walk out of there with a fps I'm happy with, usually it's good 99% of the time.

I run a 770, so I'm sure you can squeak by pretty good. I'm content with a 30fps cap at this point.

b0uncyfr0

Any AMD 1023.3 modded driver users experiencing weird shaking when they launch witcher 3?

I just installed the drivers to check them out and it shakes the whole screen for a few seconds then just crashes the system.

Rhaknar

I think that's the area with the well because that specific place kills framerates for me too

Where you do the first contract with the
ghost lady
? That's exactly where I left off if so and no drops :)

There aren't any enemies around there tho why does that kill frame rates? :/

seph1roth

Mmmm...can you tell me more about "that" place? Use spoilers if you need to.

In the abandoned village i have 33-37fps with my 970 (gameworks on, everything maxed)

That is, of course, the most demanding area at the moment...but what kind of demand are we talking about in that "specific" place you say?

low 20s...even less? (with a 970)

Of course as i said, with gameworks, i love that hair but i'm worried that in some point the game would br unplayable. (but it's easy, hairworks off and problem solved)

It's a shame that the beggining is not good test for the rest of the game.

robotrock

Banned
This game seems to run at 60fps with hairworks off and foliage density off for me, but after an hour of play, the FPS goes down more to the 45 range in the same area. What gives? Is my 970 too hot

Leatherface

Tried another Sweetfx preset other than Viveks' one but I'm still getting ridiculous amounts of black crush. Guess I'll just stick to the default colour scheme (which I don't mind).

Not sure how people can play with it though, I literally can't see shit at night time.

I highly recommend the "fantasy" preset on thelazy.net, which totally sounds like it will be obnoxiously over-saturated, but in reality it's a very CLEAN, crisp mod with just the right amount of color. It looks fantastic IMO and this is coming from someone who has tried and bailed out on at least 6 other presets. Do a search on youtube for a video. Since I've installed it I haven't gone back. ;)

..and nighttime looks GREAT.

ss_lemonade

Where you do the first contract with the
ghost lady
? That's exactly where I left off if so and no drops :)

There aren't any enemies around there tho why does that kill frame rates? :/
Yeah that's the place. No idea why its heavy on my computer but here's a screenshot I took a few days ago

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_22_272unb.jpg

That isn't even on max settings. Have some sliders down to high, no hairworks and no AA. Kind of sad seeing a 780 unable to hit 60fps at 1280x800. Maybe there's a cpu bottleneck at that resolution but lowering settings continues to increase my framerate

Evo X

I'm probably half way through the game at this point and Novigrad seems to be the most performance intensive place. Pegs my 4.7Ghz 2500k at 99% utilization.

Also, the new MSI Afterburner is awesome. Let me raise the volts a bit and now my Titan X is running stable at 1420Mhz core and 7.8Ghz memory. You guys might want to check it out.

Tahnit

Banned
how will this run on the following rig.

core i7 920 oc to 3.4 ghz.
12 gig ram
gtx 770 4gb card.

Looking to hit 1080p 30fps with most stuff maxed. Really would like hairworks to run well if possible.

UnrealEck

12 gig ram
gtx 770 4gb card.

Looking to hit 1080p 30fps with most stuff maxed. Really would like hairworks to run well if possible.

I have the same CPU at 3.8 and the same card with 2GB.

I play with mostly high, some ultra at around 40-50 FPS at 1080p.

I'm getting the inventory crash bug now constantly.

Sucks so bad, I have to manually save every single time I want to go into my inventory in case my game decides to crash on me

I highly recommend the "fantasy" preset on thelazy.net, which totally sounds like it will be obnoxiously over-saturated, but in reality it's a very CLEAN, crisp mod with just the right amount of color. It looks fantastic IMO and this is coming from someone who has tried and bailed out on at least 6 other presets. Do a search on youtube for a video. Since I've installed it I haven't gone back. ;)

Wow, thanks for this. I gave up on sweetfx after trying some popular ones, but this one seems to be EXACTLY how i wanted things to look.

edit: i did turn off the bloom effect tho, not a fan of sweetfx bloom

I typed in thelazy.net and it just brought me to a blank page?

Is that supposed to happen? Would like to give this sweetfx a try

That zone is late in the game? 55-60 is still in the "you only notice it because you have msi afterburner on" zone for me

It's not really that late, you can get there fairly early if you find a way (there's a few). It's just a city so there are more NPCs.

I usually wouldn't notice but it jitters a bit. I believe my (fairly old monitor by now) is 60hz so it's more noticeable. Sometimes when the game goes to 61-62 fps that causes some strangeness as well. Nothing terrible by any means but I do notice it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
GTX 970.

Core is 80mhz and Memory is 220mhz. I can't OC the core more without artifacts appearing.
Looks like the cooling system can't handle the OC (probably water cooling is needed to OC the GPU further or air flow in your case is not good enough), but to be honest 970 is a very good card even without OC and I don't know why you even bother... Plus, AMD GPU's is more suited for OC than Nvidia ones.

As for my GPU, there's nothing wrong with it after all, it's just it is a very common problem with Gigabyte version and unstable stock OC at 1100 MHz.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answe...rtifacts-radeon-gigabyte-windforce-stock.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2051328/gigabyte-wf3-radeon-280x-unstable.html

At the default 1000 MHz core clock GPU will be working fine... In fact, it works fine so far without any further artifacts so I probably will not OC it to 1100 MHz at all.

Brakus

Banned
Guys n gals, does anyone seem to get crashing transitioning from the map screen or inventory screen going back to the game? It's the only time it crashes, never in game whilst playing! So annoying.

spuckthew

So I got 1hr 25min on the game last night and didn't crash at all (I know it's long enough to guarantee stability but I have been crashing way sooner into a session than that). Rolled back the night before to GTA5 drivers. Game is actually a lot more stuttery and generally performs way worse than I thought it would with these drivers, but I didn't crash. It didn't occur to me to tweak settings because I only had it bad in one area and it was bearable the rest of the time, but I might drop a couple of settings until Nvidia release a new driver to replace the shambolic .86.

really liking the "fantasy" preset for sweetfx..

tw33zsgt.png

4k resolution, ultra settings (w/ hairworks) + ini tweaks.

(dual Titan X gpus)

Mepsi

I'm having some odd performance in game at the moment, I'm fairly sure it's a heat issue on my end but I want to get some thoughts.

I have a laptop with a GTX880m in it, I can get the game to run on medium settings at 50-60fps. However after about 4-5 minutes of playing, or even just standing in the same spot the framerate tanks to 25-28fps.

My GPU load is constantly at 100% as expected, but the core clock on it drops from 954Mhz to something in the 400Mhz region. I've had this laptop over a year and never had this problem before. I don't know if it's to do with the game or something on my side.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can correct this.

Naedtrax

Banned
I also didn't like a lot of the presets around. Looked great in screenshots but really sucked during game play, so i changed a few settings and yeah. I think it came out nice.

Anyone that wants to have a go at it, here it is. Just paste it over your old sweetfx.

http://justpaste.it/leje

knerl

I'm having some odd performance in game at the moment, I'm fairly sure it's a heat issue on my end but I want to get some thoughts.

I have a laptop with a GTX880m in it, I can get the game to run on medium settings at 50-60fps. However after about 4-5 minutes of playing, or even just standing in the same spot the framerate tanks to 25-28fps.

My GPU load is constantly at 100% as expected, but the core clock on it drops from 954Mhz to something in the 400Mhz region. I've had this laptop over a year and never had this problem before. I don't know if it's to do with the game or something on my side.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can correct this.

If it's heat related you might have to lower the core clock and/or cap the framerate to a much lower value. It is throttling because of something and that something while being under full load would be the temperature. Latest drivers? Game is up to date? How are things on your cpu side?

reektann

So 1.03 I had everything running using Nvidia vsync. Since 1.04 I get weird hitching - this happens every few seconds even if you're just moving forward. Tried going back to in game vsync and trying full screen over border less. No dice. Anyone else have this oddness with 1.04?

Bl@de

12 gig ram
gtx 770 4gb card.

I have a Xeon 1230 v3
8gb RAM
GTX 770
Details: http://www.sysprofile.de/id21742

Resolution: 1920x1080

Without Hairworks: Everything high, HBAO+, ingame AA = min FPS. 36fps , avg. FPS around 45fps

With Hairworks on everything: Everything high, Foliage Distance and Grass Medium, SSAO, SMAA injected and with ReShade effects = 30fps locked. Drops to 26fps in ultra close ups of Geralts lovely hair (when you press against a wall or some cutscenes)

Mepsi

If it's heat related you might have to lower the core clock and/or cap the framerate to a much lower value. It is throttling because of something and that something while being under full load would be the temperature. Latest drivers? Game is up to date? How are things on your cpu side?

Everything is completely up to date from a fresh install about a week ago. The CPU tends to run around the 60% usage mark so I'm fairly certain that doesn't have anything to do with it. I've tried capping the game to 30FPS using the in game settings and that causes me the same issue.

I'll have a go at starting it up with a slightly lower core clock. But this is such a strange issue. I've ran games in the past on it where it's put the GPU under a lot of strain and normally it can take it. I've never had it underclock itself before.

I also didn't like a lot of the presets around. Looked great in screenshots but really sucked during game play, so i changed a few settings and yeah. I think it came out nice.

Anyone that wants to have a go at it, here it is. Just paste it over your old sweetfx.

http://justpaste.it/leje

It's the other way around for me. Screenshots look bad, but it's amazing in motion.
Anyway, I'll give your preset a try.

knerl

Everything is completely up to date from a fresh install about a week ago. The CPU tends to run around the 60% usage mark so I'm fairly certain that doesn't have anything to do with it. I've tried capping the game to 30FPS using the in game settings and that causes me the same issue.

I'll have a go at starting it up with a slightly lower core clock. But this is such a strange issue. I've ran games in the past on it where it's put the GPU under a lot of strain and normally it can take it. I've never had it underclock itself before.

Try the easier first step of setting power management for the game to "prefer maximum performance" before you underclock. Also what temperatures are you getting on your GPU?
Do you use the integrated graphics driver on your cpu at all? If so it might try to switch between them or something. You should in nvidias control panel be able to set the dedicated one to always be the primary one.

Mepsi

Try the easier first step of setting power management for the game to "prefer maximum performance" before you underclock. Also what temperatures are you getting on your GPU?
Do you use the integrated graphics driver on your cpu at all? If so it might try to switch between them or something. You should in nvidias control panel be able to set the dedicated one to always be the primary one.

I've just had a quick play, I already had the power management setting set to prefer maximum performance, and I've got the Nvidia control panel to always use the Dedicated GPU for everything when I'm not on battery.

It certainly is a temperature issue I think, I underclocked the core clock by 135Mhz (As much as MSI Afterburner would let me) and turned on the temps in the OSD. Usually this card runs in the 88-90 mark, which seems a little high but is pretty much standard for this laptop.

This time however I noticed that once they started to creep to 93 was when the throttle seems to kick in. I've never had this problem with any game I've ever had, although admittedly the last game I played that properly pushed it was MGS5:GZ and that was a good few months ago.

I'm guessing that my next step to try this time would be to take it apart, give it a good clean and repaste the heatsink on the GPU and see how I get on.

23qwerty

I've just had a quick play, I already had the power management setting set to prefer maximum performance, and I've got the Nvidia control panel to always use the Dedicated GPU for everything when I'm not on battery.

It certainly is a temperature issue I think, I underclocked the core clock by 135Mhz (As much as MSI Afterburner would let me) and turned on the temps in the OSD. Usually this card runs in the 88-90 mark, which seems a little high but is pretty much standard for this laptop.

This time however I noticed that once they started to creep to 93 was when the throttle seems to kick in. I've never had this problem with any game I've ever had, although admittedly the last game I played that properly pushed it was MGS5:GZ and that was a good few months ago.

I'm guessing that my next step to try this time would be to take it apart, give it a good clean and repaste the heatsink on the GPU and see how I get on.

Aren't those temperatures like really, really bad for a laptop?

Mepsi

Aren't those temperatures like really, really bad for a laptop?

You would think so, but 85-90 for the GPU on this is pretty much standard. It worried me the first time I saw them and I got in touch with the manufacturer thinking I had a faulty unit, but they told me that's what they expect.

knerl

You would think so, but 85-90 for the GPU on this is pretty much standard. It worried me the first time I saw them and I got in touch with the manufacturer thinking I had a faulty unit, but they told me that's what they expect.

90 degrees laptop or not is very high. Most cards might be able to operate at that, but it looks like that's the cause.
A good cleansing and new thermal paste might be a good idea.

knerl

Eurogamer article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-the-witcher-3

Ultra + no Hairworks = 36/47 FPS on a 980.

So, just to straighten the facts:

we got not only the major downgrade that CDP always denied, but the downgraded game also delivers half the performance they swore it had just a month ago (locked 60 on a 980 on ultra WITH Hairworks).

At 1440p..... CDPR said ~60 with hairworks and ultra at 1080p using a 980.

Top Bottom