• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

apparently forcing tessellation in the AMD catalyst menu does a round about way of enabling Hair Effects but without all the shit that fucks up performance something fierce on amd cards.

cant wait to go home and try it along with the HairworksAA fix.

Beaten.

Iceternal

Why did the devs decide to change the color palette so much and make it look cartoony ?

I think it's the main difference with the graphics from that 35 minutes demo.

ISee

damn... this game keeps crashing on my 970. at least its not repeatable crashing at the same place... so i just need to save every so often...

I am not quiet sure if it is the witchers fault or nvidia by now. meanwhile the new drivers crashed twice on me during normal use on windows (browsing mostly).

kinggroin

Banned
Okay so regarding rolling back with the drivers, I've just tried going back to 305.12 (GTA 5 drivers) and there's no difference in performance. I'm on a 780 Ti, had all settings maxed except HairWorks at 1080p, used the balcony at the beginning as a benchmark. Most intensive place to look gave me 42 fps. Did the same but with the 350.12 drivers. Exact same framerate.

Going to test 347.88 and if there's no difference I'm giving up. I'd simply take the claims over in the forum with a grain of salt until Nvidia responds about the Kepler issue (they said they were looking into it over in reddit and the Nvidia forums). There's still something up with the performance though, but all this concludes is that rolling back does nothing.

One more test.

You are a fucking hero. Let's just hope if we see no improvements with driver rollback, nvidia can give us a ear answer as to why this architecture is getting curb stomped by cards it used to run circles around.

Xeroblade

This is almost like an oxymoron.

It is but when I dont have a 970 I have to take what I can get. I can set it to 60fps but then my fps dips from 55-30 and it stutters. This is why i locked it to 30fps no stuttering. You take that mouth somewhere else. good day. :)

Have you tweaked the settings files anything and set it to read only? The changes will not stick if you have done that.

The ini file? I didnt even think to mess with it. I will look at it. thank you.

Crzy1

Not sure what to think about the performance here. Dual 780 Ti's at 1440p and so long as I keep Hairworks off and foliage distance to high I can stay around 60 fps with some drops into the 50s, but SLi scaling is awful, sometimes as high as 30% disparity between the two GPUs.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone else getting the "Gamepad detected" notification every time you use the menu system (save/load/options etc)?

It's no show stopper, but a minor annoyance... it's not like I've touched the KB+M either, it seems to think any menu usage is from the keyboard.. odd.

Anyone else getting the "Gamepad detected" notification every time you use the menu system (save/load/options etc)?

It's no show stopper, but a minor annoyance... it's not like I've touched the KB+M either, it seems to think any menu usage is from the keyboard.. odd.

There's a fix for the in the OT.

rififi

For someone with a modest laptop like this:

i7 4710HQ @ 2.5 - 3,5GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX850M 2GB DDR3

How does it old?
It's possible to have a performance similar of a console with similar specs?

Here's a video of someone playing w/ similar specs to you playing at a native 720p on high w/ ~30fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KnOdRPCbCA

Generally, you should be able to have a mix of medium and high if you want higher resolution. Put shadow quality on low (the difference is pretty is small) and foliage at medium if you want improved FPS.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There's a fix for the in the OT.

I did that fix, and I still get the notification.

The OT tells me to go into the folder where The Witcher 3 is installed... but is that right? Is the actual hidden.ini file that the game reads somewhere else, like in the documents folder?

Vuze

Hm, Hairworks on 2xMSAA still cripples my performance a bit, but it's notably better than before and looks alright in terms of aliasing. Will try lower AA and see if I can find sth that suits my needs.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I did that fix, and I still get the notification.

The OT tells me to go into the folder where The Witcher 3 is installed... but is that right? Is the actual hidden.ini file that the game reads somewhere else, like in the documents folder?

You will get the notification on menus, but in-game the panel will disappear and the screen buttons will always be gamepad ones.

MisterM

apparently forcing tessellation in the AMD catalyst menu does a round about way of enabling Hair Effects but without all the shit that fucks up performance something fierce on amd cards.

cant wait to go home and try it along with the HairworksAA fix.

Beaten.

Same. I have taken notes of what settings to play with and have half an hour until work finishes. Nothing has grabbed me like this since WoW launch.

LordAmused

Ok. So yesterday, my game crashed on me 4 times in 2-3 hours, twice in the inventory. Today, I uncapped FPS and disabled in-game V-Sync then enabled it along with Triple Buffering in NCP.

No crashes in 2 hours so far. Knock on wood.

Bod

Neo Member
Is anyone suffering with npc's popping into view right in front of you.

playing with a 970 with everything set to ultra but no hairworks.

seems to be getting worse the longer i play.

hlhbk

Posting again for those who missed it last night....

Not sure if this has been posted yet. To disable the message that a gamepad has been detected over and over again:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:

"...The Witcher 3binconfigbase"

Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.

Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

masterkajo

Finally will have some time off this weekend and might start the game. Will I need to upgrade to play tough? Or could I get away even though I do not meet minimum requirements?

i5-2500k (not OCed b/c mobo does not allow)
HD 7850
4GB Ram

kinggroin

Banned
Finally will have some time off this weekend and might start the game. Will I need to upgrade to play tough? Or could I get away even though I do not meet minimum requirements?

i5-2500k (not OCed b/c mobo does not allow)
HD 7850
4GB Ram

720p everything low except textures on high. Turn off hbao and hairworks. Turn SSAO on, foliage distance to medium.

Enjoy.

dEvAnGeL

The only time i had a crash was when i OC my 980, went back to stock and never happened again, i still can't believe the un optimized mess hairworks is

Locked 60, no dips, everything ultra but shadows and foliage distance, those are on high, hairworks off of course

i7 2600k @4.2
MSI GTX 980
16 gigs ddr 3 @1600
Windows 7

GavinUK86

Just ordered my 970!

giphy.gif

Get's here tomorrow!

Time to finally let go of my two 660's. You have served me well.

shandy706

Yeah I didn't have to DL it either, it says right there in my library "DRM free". I launch through Steam.

Makes me wonder if it really is though.

I suppose, as I visit my brother often, I could install it on his PC and play at his house. Is it really DRM free, or will I run into trouble putting it on his system, my lapotop, my secondary rig in the study, and my primary rig in my room?

I'd assume there's no problem with that? I have lots of GOG games, but only ever installed them on one PC, lol.

Does the game have issues with blacks ? Mines are all "crushed", the blacks are way too dark if that makes sense and it looks pretty bad.
I've seen the same thing in a youtube video but I was wondering if the problem was on my end or if it was just the game.

Tankshell

Posting again for those who missed it last night....

Not sure if this has been posted yet. To disable the message that a gamepad has been detected over and over again:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:

"...The Witcher 3binconfigbase"

Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.

Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

There is a better way to do this, just add the same setting to your

'C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings' file. That way all of your changes are kept outside of the games own config files.

Also set it to read only after making changes.

MisterM

Quick question: I have the GOG version (not Steam) and use RadeonPro to launch it so I get my "nice" 30fps. I want to add it to Steam as a non-steam game so I can stream it to another PC but still keep my RadeonPro options. How would I do this?

Can I create a RadeonPro shortcut with attributes at the end of the path (like the ones that appear at the bottom of RadeonPro when changing settings (eg. C:\program files\RadeonPro\RadeonPro.exe -thewitcher3 -settings -etc) and then point Steam to that?

Bit of a weird one, I know.

PnCIa

Wow, their build in AA solution might be the worst kind of "AA" i´ve witnessed over the last few years. It totally sucks. It does essentially nothing.

Instead of doing something for the whole picture, like...implementing MSAA with AtoC or something, they would rather waste time on a tacky feature like hairwork that kills your framerate for fucking hair that cover not even 10% of your screen during normal gameplay.

OrigiNull

Does the game have issues with blacks ? Mines are all "crushed", the blacks are way too dark if that makes sense and it looks pretty bad.
I've seen the same thing in a youtube video but I was wondering if the problem was on my end or if it was just the game.

Mine is basically the opposite. I'm running on a GTX 980 and when I first booted the game it was way to bright. I turned the brightness all the way down and could still see the icon that was supposed to be barely visible.

I think I fixed my crashing. I have a 980 FTW, and I lowered my clock speeds to the normal base, about 140mhz less. Played for 2 hours straight which I'm pretty sure was the longest stretch of time I have been able to play.

b0bbyJ03

Hm, Hairworks on 2xMSAA still cripples my performance a bit, but it's notably better than before and looks alright in terms of aliasing. Will try lower AA and see if I can find sth that suits my needs.

ooo, you can change how much AA there is on hairworks? last I read the default is using 8xMSAA. What kind of difference is there in performance? Did you get an FPS gain but turning it down?

jett

D-Member
I did a bunch of testing on my machine:

I5 4670K @3.6 and @4.2
AMD 280X
8GB RAM

I tested on the wilderness with mostly just Geralt on screen.

First off, overclocking the CPU from 3.6 to 4.2 did absolutely jackshit for my framerate, not a single fuck was given by the game. Likewise, putting Textures and Detail at Ultra didn't affect a single frame. So go ahead and jack that shit up if you have a 280X

These are the values that affect the game the most (hairworks is always off):
Foliage
HBAO+
Shadows

Better off using SSAO and Foliage and shadows at high at the most if you want something that hovers around 45~50fps. Incidentally, it's foliage (and texture quality, but it's irrelevant performance wise), that makes the biggest difference from a visual perspective. If you use high-ultra texture settings the game still looks pretty nice with everything else on low, and on a 280X you truly get close to a steady 60fps there. If you want a mixture of great visuals and decent performance then put everything on high except textures and detail, which should remain on ultra. You'll get something between 40 and 45fps between depending on scene complexity.

Oh and overclocking the 280X to 1100 mhz gave me 3~5 additional frames, but I'm not sure how safe that is. The temp rose to 70C and the fan speed went to 70%. Chance the machine will hang too, probably. I really should've bought some other card...

But the worst thing about this fucking game is the constant juddering, even when you're running at 60fps. Fucking hell, why. Someone needs to put some fire in CDPR's ass to fix this STAT.

What settings do you have on? I have a 7970 GHZ Edition which I hear is comparable to the 280x and have only dipped to the 30's like twice the 7-8 hours I've played. It usually fluctuates between mid 40's and mid 50's in town and stays in the high 50's and at 60 in the open world.

EDIT: Forgot to add that my settings are a mix between high and Ultra.

I thought it was an ultra chart, my mistake.

There is a better way to do this, just add the same setting to your

'C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings' file. That way all of your changes are kept outside of the games own config files.

Also set it to read only after making changes.

Set it to read only? Why's that? Will the game edit it on launch otherwise or something?

How's the SSAO overall d'ya think?
I'm running on a 970 and looking for something to give me a 3-4 fps boost, maybe this is it? Depends if there's a drastic loss in IQ or not, perhaps something I can sort out in NVCP though? shrug

Mine is basically the opposite. I'm running on a GTX 980 and when I first booted the game it was way to bright. I turned the brightness all the way down and could still see the icon that was supposed to be barely visible.

Damn that sucks, it's on my end then. Haven't had this issue in any other game though, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

MaLDo

Wow, their build in AA solution might be the worst kind of "AA" i´ve witnessed over the last few years. It totally sucks. It does essentially nothing.

Instead of doing something for the whole picture, like...implementing MSAA with AtoC or something, they would rather waste time on a tacky feature like hairwork that kills your framerate for fucking hair that cover not even 10% of your screen during normal gameplay.

Their solution is way better than basic SMAA or FXAA filtering sub pixel aliasing.

BUT is way worse than basic SMAA or FXAA filtering simple and evident aliasing.

I'm playing now with ingame TAA + Reshade with Ultra SMAA, a bit of Lumasharpen and reduced saturation. Good enough.

jett

D-Member
Set it to read only? Why's that? Will the game edit it on launch otherwise or something?

How's the SSAO overall d'ya think?
I'm running on a 970 and looking for something to give me a 3-4 fps boost, maybe this is it? Depends if there's a drastic loss in IQ or not, perhaps something I can sort out in NVCP though? shrug

Man you have to be looking at identical comparison pictures to notice it to be honest.

PnCIa

Their solution is way better than basic SMAA or FXAA filtering sub pixel aliasing.

I'm playing now with ingame TAA + Reshade with Ultra SMAA, a bit of Lumasharpen and reduced saturation. Good enough.
Sounds like a shitty solution to me. No, actually it does suck. It doesnt even catch the aliasing on the side of trees in a lot of instances.

Soren01

A few posts ago you described the steps to obtain good framerate/frame pacing.Could you post again?

jett

D-Member
And here my card is locking up if I use it at default clocks :( If you say card is faulty, I am playing for more than 1 year with this card and I 've never experienced this kind of lockups even with heavy benchmark stress testing. Sure I got very high temps before but not this kind of instant lock up. There is something wrong here and I am usre it is not my card. (People with nvidias are experiencing this too.I have a 280x.)

What kind of locks do you get? I occasionally get a brown screen of death, sometimes it shows up for a second and then goes away, strangely.

Top Bottom