• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Apologies for being lazy, but can someone point out that fix?

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:

"...The Witcher 3binconfigbase"

Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.

Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller.

Voila!

AEREC

So my performance is pretty good with everything on Max (including hairworks) and locked at 30fps...however I still notice slight dips into the 20's. What are the features with the lowest visual cost and highest performance cost that that I can start to disable (except for ?hairworks)

H4r4kiri

Does anybody feel like me and thinks that this game is very unresponsive and sometimes frustrating because of the controls ?

I play with a DS4 with DS4Windows.

No afaik

Keep in mind that you can skip it as soon as the game has loaded, if you were under the assumption that the load times are longer cause of it.

Personally, I want to disable them so I won't have to listen to the awful, awful voice acting lol

That's essentially a loading screen.

Thanks, for some reason I thought the only loading screen was the wheel that shows up after the scene.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I did a bunch of testing on my machine:

I5 4670K @3.6 and @4.2
AMD 280X
8GB RAM

I tested on the wilderness with mostly just Geralt on screen.

First off, overclocking the CPU from 3.6 to 4.2 did absolutely jackshit for my framerate, not a single fuck was given by the game. Likewise, putting Textures and Detail at Ultra didn't affect a single frame. So go ahead and jack that shit up if you have a 280X

These are the values that affect the game the most (hairworks is always off):
Foliage
HBAO+
Shadows

Better off using SSAO and Foliage and shadows at high at the most if you want something that hovers around 45~50fps. Incidentally, it's foliage (and texture quality, but it's irrelevant performance wise), that makes the biggest difference from a visual perspective. If you use high-ultra texture settings the game still looks pretty nice with everything else on low, and on a 280X you truly get close to a steady 60fps there. If you want a mixture of great visuals and decent performance then put everything on high except textures and detail, which should remain on ultra. You'll get something between 40 and 45fps between depending on scene complexity.

Oh and overclocking the 280X to 1100 mhz gave me 3~5 additional frames, but I'm not sure how safe that is. The temp rose to 70C and the fan speed went to 70%. Chance the machine will hang too, probably. I really should've bought some other card...

But the worst thing about this fucking game is the constant juddering, even when you're running at 60fps. Fucking hell, why. Someone needs to put some fire in CDPR's ass to fix this STAT.

I thought it was an ultra chart, my mistake.

Thanks for that writeup. So would you say all Ultra at 30 FPS is possible with the 280x?

Kalm

Does anybody feel like me and thinks that this game is very unresponsive and sometimes frustrating because of the controls ?

X1 controller but, yea, sometimes.

It's the walk->run transition for me. It feels like he stumbles into a run and once the stumble starts you're kind of locked into that direction for a second or two.

Feels awkward.

AEREC

I'm with you...controls feel a bit wonky and movement definitely looks odd sometimes, liek animations are missing or something.

Definitely a bit jarring after playing something like GTA V.

Sulik2

Dang, I was really hoping to hold off on buying a new video card until Direct X 12 cards hit, but there is no way my 680 is going to be able to handle this. Anyone have any info on how hard a hit an i5-2500 makes on performance?

Game crashes every 5 mins so that the picture frozes but the audio still keeps going. Some have reported that they had this problem before they got to the first open area but it's going to take hours from me with this amount of crashing.... I have love-hate relationship with PC gaming depending on the day.

No afaik

Keep in mind that you can skip it as soon as the game has loaded, if you were under the assumption that the load times are longer cause of it.

Personally, I want to disable them so I won't have to listen to the awful, awful voice acting lol

I am very concerned by this scene (i am still at the beginning) because based on tradition,
Dandelion does the narrating, and that better not be his new voice.

Game crashes every 5 mins so that the picture frozes but the audio still keeps going. Some have reported that they had this problem before they got to the first open area but it's going to take hours from me with this amount of crashing.... I have love-hate relationship with PC gaming depending on the day.

this was happening to me, constantly, could play for 5 min or 30 min before it crashed. Last night I scaled back my GPUs overclock (even though it's the FTW model with a factory overclock) and it didn't crash once. Also noticed my temps were down 10-15 degrees C, which is kind of crazy imo

kinggroin

Banned
Dang, I was really hoping to hold off on buying a new video card until Direct X 12 cards hit, but there is no way my 680 is going to be able to handle this. Anyone have any info on how hard a hit an i5-2500 makes on performance?

This joke is getting old

Vitor711

Anyone got some good .ini tweaks to make the game look better without much of a performance hit?

I've heard that turning down the AA on the hairworks stuff lets you enable it without a massive performance hit for example.

Running a 980 so not a huge issue, just curious. Got it nearly all on Ultra (minus shadows/foliage depending on the regen - White Orchard is more taxing than Vellen for example) without hairwork and getting mostly 60FPS at 1080.

Zakalwe

Banned

There are a few fixes that seem to work for some people.

Try any combination of the following:

1. Make sure you're using full screen mode not borderless.

2. Rollback nvidia drivers to the GTAV set.

3. Set frame cap to Unlimited

4. In the nvidia control panel add TW3 and set power managemt mode to 'prefer maximum performance'

I used steps 1, 2, and 3 and I've not crashed for a few hours since. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it's worth trying.

Your system will be fine. Medium/high with no Hairworks @1080 with 30fps locked and most post processing on.

Better performance than console and the game will still look pretty good at those settings.

Set HairWorks to 2x.
Still too much of a hit for my liking.

i7 2600k @ 4.1 // Gig GTX 970 OC 120&215 // 8GM RAM // SSD

Fought two wolves, tested with and without HW.

Without

Minimum FPS 58
Maximum FPS 68
Average 65 out of combat
Average 60 in combat

Geralt only

Minimum FPS 49
Maximum FPS 58
Same in and out of combat staying around 52

Full HairWorks

Minimum FPS 45
Maximum FPS 54
Average 51 out of combat
Average 48 in combat

I have the exact same card, those temps are bang on the money. You can go into high 70s without being really concerned, card's rated for something like up to 95C but I don't push it past 80 personally.

Yes these numbers are pretty much what I am getting with 2x MSAA; just too much of a hit unfortunately (using a 970).

MaddenNFL64

Another crash/lockup (music, and sounds still play, and image is frozen on my desktop until i kill the witcher3 process), wtf is going on. I am on fullscreen, with vsync on, and 60 fps limit.

I searched online, and some people say its related to that, but some people say the lockups are related to playing with a controller. I dunno at this point.

I'll mess with it later, but fuck this game for now. Fix this shit CDPR.

Zakalwe

Banned
Another crash/lockup (music, and sounds still play, and image is frozen on my desktop until i kill the witcher3 process), wtf is going on. I am on fullscreen, with vsync on, and 60 fps limit.

I searched online, and some people say its related to that, but some people say the lockups are related to playing with a controller. I dunno at this point.

I'll mess with it later, but fuck this game for now. Fix this shit CDPR.

See the potential fixes I listed a few posts up.

Sucks some people are crashing so often. I've seen some game glitches, but not a single crash in 12 hours. Has anyone that is crashing done a stress test on their components? Not saying it isn't drivers or the game, but curious.

Vitor711

There are a few fixes that seem to work for some people.

Try any combination of the following:

1. Make sure you're using full screen mode not borderless.

2. Rollback nvidia drivers to the GTAV set.

3. Set frame cap to Unlimited

4. In the nvidia control panel add TW3 and set power managemt mode to 'prefer maximum performance'

I used steps 1, 2, and 3 and I've not crashed for a few hours since. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it's worth trying.

Hmm, rather not unlimit my FPS - just don't see the need to force my GPU to work at 99% load the whole time.

I'll try the others and see - I've had a few crashes, not a crazy amount but enough to be annoying.

I've also seen some people suggest that using a FPS tool like MSI is also contributing to things.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone?

Also, my card was 60+ in Flotsam and 67-69 in the woods, is that a good temp?

Jose are great temps, anything sub 70 under laod is very good. The 970 seems to be very efficient when handling heat, my MSI 970 hasn't crept above 70 yet and I can barely hear the fans spin.

Modern cards can run up to 95 or so, but like someone above said I like to try to keep them below 80 if possible. If you're running an older card or you're pushing an overlock then 80-90 is perfectly resonance though. My 670 used to sit in the 75-85 range almost constantly when playing newer games wih no problem.

Hmm, rather not unlimit my FPS - just don't see the need to force my GPU to work at 99% load the whole time.

I'll try the others and see - I've had a few crashes, not a crazy amount but enough to be annoying.

I've also seen some people suggest that using a FPS tool like MSI is also contributing to things.

Maybe try using a third party till to limit the fps and set it to unlimited in game and see if it fixes it. I'd be interested to know of it works (a few people have suggested it does). I may try it later, but I'm a bit dubious about messing with things now I finally seem to have it stable...

Try the other steps too. I did everything listed /except/ limit the fps and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Phamit

Thanks for that writeup. So would you say all Ultra at 30 FPS is possible with the 280x?

I have a 280x too, and without Hairworks it seems possible.

Well I have a FX 8320, so I'm not sure if my fps dips are caused by my CPU or my GPU, so I can't give you a certain answer

MaddenNFL64

Sucks some people are crashing so often. I've seen some game glitches, but not a single crash in 12 hours. Has anyone that is crashing done a stress test on their components? Not saying it isn't drivers or the game, but curious.

I haven't had a single crash in any other game ive played in a while except this game. Shit I just binged on Jaws of Hakkon (Dragon Age Inquisition DLC) and I play that game at almost everything on Ultra.

Sigh, im gonna try unlimiting the framerate, then.

Kuro

Turning off the ingame AA and using FXAA and Maximum Performance setting in Nvidia control panel stopped the crashes for me but I'm still saving like a madman just in case.

Razzorn34

Some people are having success just going from borderless windowed to fullscreen, or vice versa. I used to crash every 5 to 10 min on fullscreen. Switch to borderless windowed, and haven't had one crash.

ascully

I feel the walking about is a bit stiff and inaccurate for sure, It seems to take a while for the witcher to stop still so I always overshoot everything.

Xyber

I have only had 1 freeze (where the screen freezes and music continues) in my 15 hours. And that seemed to be solved by changing to fullscreen instead of borderless windowed.

Had 2 infinite load screens for a specific quest early on, but nothing since.

970 with latest drivers, FPS capped at 60 with Vsync on. So to me it seems like borderless it the cause of at least some crashes.

FakeWayne

Neo Member
How does fxaa look in comparison to in game aa?

Personally, I think it looks just as good for much less performance, and I'm one of those people that get extremely bothered by jaggies.

At the same time, I've seen others say they think it looks much worse. I guess it just comes down to how keen your own eyes are to jaggies.

Static Jak

The latest Nvidia Driver is complete garbage. Just keeps crashing while using chrome.

For anyone who rolled back to the previous drivers, did it effect your performance for Witcher 3?

Razzorn34

For new page.

In Witcher 2 you could just edit the input file to bind keyboard commands to the controller. Apparently things don't work like that so easy this time around with the game being built around consoles. Hopefully someone is working on a mod.

I had the sign switching keyboard command mapped to one of the pad directions. After having that, I'm having a hard time dealing with this slowing down gameplay crap just to switch signs.

hlhbk

There is a better way to do this, just add the same setting to your

'C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings' file. That way all of your changes are kept outside of the games own config files.

Also set it to read only after making changes.

Why is it "better"?

Gambit61

I've crashed about 6 or 7 times in 4 hours of play. It's annoying for sure but not killing my enjoyment (yet).

I have a gtx 970 ssc from Evga, decent factory OC. Could be what's causing it but I really don't want to have to mess with putting it back to stock clocks. Ugh.

I also have a small OC on my 2500k of 4.0ghz, really doubt that's the issue.

My Gpu does reach high 70s in temp and the fans go nuts. It's probably the gpu OC...

I have the same gpu and get around 75C but my fans are still running at a low rpm and haven't had a single crash. My I5 4690k is running at stock speed. Have you tried running your 2500k at stock?

has anyone tried this yet?

Improve movement responsiveness when using a controller

To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!

Top Bottom