• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Neidii

Well I was surprised at how good my new graphic card is. I have a 970, i5 2500k (no oc) and 8 GB RAM. I have everything on ultra, HBAO+, hairworks off, 1080p and according to fraps this gives me between 55-62 fps in various places. I haven't seen it get below 50 so I'm really happy. Great looking game and very well optimized from what I've seen when playing for a few hours.

OrigiNull

Damn that sucks, it's on my end then. Haven't had this issue in any other game though, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Keep in mind that Youtube videos are generally much darker than the game actually appears and most streamers will crank the brightness to compensate. It could be in the actual graphic card settings or maybe even you monitor/tv depending on what you are viewing it on. When I play on my plasma things appear much darker but for the Witcher I am playing on an Asus LED monitor output through DVI.

hwateber

I'm actually really surprised at how well this is running on 3570k and r9 290. Playing at 1440p, with a mix of high/ultra on everything. HBAO and hair works are disabled, but I'm hoping that tesselation trick works out for hairworks. Not at home right now, but I'll see if I can get actual frame counts in case someone has a similar rig and is curious about performance

MaLDo

A few posts ago you described the steps to obtain good framerate/frame pacing.Could you post again?

Really? I don't remember it, but whatever, the "limited framerate at 60" option works fine for SLI but doesn't work in monogpu for me. I don't need any third-party solution to limit framerate. Setting ingame limiter to "unlimited", ingame vsync to off, and forcing adaptative vsync in the game profile (inspector) do wonders atm. I'm using reShade for saturation, SMAA and sharpen btw.

I did a bunch of testing on my machine:

I5 4670K @3.6 and @4.2
AMD 280X
8GB RAM

I tested on the wilderness with mostly just Geralt on screen.

First off, overclocking the CPU from 3.6 to 4.2 did absolutely jackshit for my framerate, not a single fuck was given by the game. Likewise, putting Textures and Detail at Ultra didn't affect a single frame. So go ahead and jack that shit up if you have a 280X

These are the values that affect the game the most (hairworks is always off):
Foliage
HBAO+

Better off using SSAO and Foliage at high at the most if you want something that hovers around 45~50fps. Incidentally, it's foliage (and texture quality, but it's irrelevant performance wise), that makes the biggest difference from a visual perspective. If you use high-ultra texture settings the game still looks pretty nice with everything else on low, and on a 280X you truly get close to a steady 60fps there. If you want a mixture of great visuals and decent performance then put everything on high except textures and detail, which should remain on ultra. You'll get something between 40 and 45fps between depending on scene complexity.

Oh and overclocking the 280X to 1100 mhz gave me 3~5 additional frames, but I'm not sure how safe that is. The temp rose to 70C and the fan speed went to 70%. Chance the machine will hang too, probably. I really should've bought some other card...

But the worst thing about this fucking game is the constant juddering, even when you're running at 60fps. Fucking hell, why. Someone needs to put some fire in CDPR's ass to fix this STAT.

I thought it was an ultra chart, my mistake.

70c? My GTX 780 is hovering around 78-80c with 99% load.

jett

D-Member
70c? My GTX 780 is hovering around 78-80c with 99% load.

Well I didn't play it OC'd for long, who knows how much it would have climbed up. Been getting some lockups with this card, so I don't really want to push it.

Member on the RED forums suggested this PS4 tweak to get rid of some stutter:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...uld-help-with-juttering?p=1680607#post1680607

That's some good ol' fashioned placebo effect.

Travolta

Neo Member
Thanks, will do that then. I know I have to upgrade eventually but somehow this setup seems to have served me well for a while now.

I got a 7850 2GB, i5 4690k + 8GB and am playing at 1080p at 30fps locked, with:

all postprocessing on
Texture and Water at High
Shadow and Foliage at low
Terrain medium
SSAO
Hairworks off

I am pretty happy with the performance and IQ I am getting. There is barely any difference between low and high the shadow quality (based on Andys guide), and foliage is the most resource hog; so that is why I recommend setting these two to Low.

Soren01

Really? I don't remember it, but whatever, the "limited framerate at 60" option works fine for SLI but doesn't work in monogpu for me. I don't need any third-party solution to limit framerate. Setting ingame limiter to "unlimited", ingame vsync to off, and forcing adaptative vsync in the game profile (inspector) do wonders atm. I'm using reShade for saturation, SMAA and sharpen btw.

What is the difference between adaptive vsync on NVCP and Inspector?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Makes me wonder if it really is though.

I suppose, as I visit my brother often, I could install it on his PC and play at his house. Is it really DRM free, or will I run into trouble putting it on his system, my lapotop, my secondary rig in the study, and my primary rig in my room?

I'd assume there's no problem with that? I have lots of GOG games, but only ever installed them on one PC, lol.

They just don't want you sharing them with other people who haven't bought it, but I don't think there's anything in place to prevent that other than the honor system, idk, maybe there is. I have a game on my work PC that I also play at home, I'd say you're good to go.

Mrbob

I'm actually really surprised at how well this is running on 3570k and r9 290. Playing at 1440p, with a mix of high/ultra on everything. HBAO and hair works are disabled, but I'm hoping that tesselation trick works out for hairworks. Not at home right now, but I'll see if I can get actual frame counts in case someone has a similar rig and is curious about performance

Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance in game. My system is similar to to Jett's setup with one bigger difference, the GPU.

4690K @ 3.8ghz
8GB memory
Tri X 290
Running at 1080P on my HDTV
Running a FRAPS counter in the upper left corner while playing

Everything is cranked except for foliage distance turned down one level, SSAO enabled instead of HBAO+, and Hairworks off. Frame rate is limited to 60 and it stays at 60 most of the time. Once in a while it'll drop to the mid 50s in a heavy fight but that is the worst of it.

Ace 8095

I just want to get home from work and play this game for a few hours without constant crashes. This is like MCC all over again. At least I didn't take a day off work this time. Learned that lesson.

There is a better way to do this, just add the same setting to your

'C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings' file. That way all of your changes are kept outside of the games own config files.

Also set it to read only after making changes.

Thank you for this, I had a feeling that editing the 'base' files wasn't the best method.

I just tried the HairWorksAALevel adjustments and it definitely makes a difference visually. Setting it to zero looks like crap and doesn't seem to run much better than 2 or 4 (I think the default is 8). Anyway, I'm going to give Hairworks another try with the AA set to 4 and see how things go. Performance only seems to dip when I get the back of Geralt's head to completely fill the screen, which doesn't really happen during regular play.

MaLDo

Could you please give details on how to use reShade for SMAA? Also what extra sharpen settings you're running :) Thanks

Is so easy. Download the last version of ReShade + SweetFX. Copy the files into x64 folder of TW3 game and rename the x64 dll to dxgi.dll. Then edit sweetfx_settings file as you wish. The part in the begining to activate/deactivate effects (1/0), and the next part with the values for every effect.

Well I was surprised at how good my new graphic card is. I have a 970, i5 2500k (no oc) and 8 GB RAM. I have everything on ultra, HBAO+, hairworks off, 1080p and according to fraps this gives me between 55-62 fps in various places. I haven't seen it get below 50 so I'm really happy. Great looking game and very well optimized from what I've seen when playing for a few hours.

Weird, I have the same system and don't hit 60 at all and am regularly below 50. But I haven't done too much with the settings. No hairworks though.

Mrbob

Weird, I have the same system and don't hit 60 at all and am regularly below 50. But I haven't done too much with the settings. No hairworks though.

Foliage distance and HBAO seem to be the big hits for performance with your card. Go to SSAO and turn foliage distance down to very high and you should receive a decent boost.

b0bbyJ03

Thank you for this, I had a feeling that editing the 'base' files wasn't the best method.

I just tried the HairWorksAALevel adjustments and it definitely makes a difference visually. Setting it to zero looks like crap and doesn't seem to run much better than 2 or 4 (I think the default is 8). Anyway, I'm going to give Hairworks another go with the AA set to 4 and see how things go. Performance only seems to dip when I get the back of Geralt's head to completely fill the screen, which doesn't really happen during regular play.

Have you had any FPS gains from lowering it down from the default (which is 8x)? I'd like to try it at 2x. Also, are you using it just on Geralt or everything?

So last night I put all settings on ultra except for foliage visibility range, which I left on high, and I'm getting 60fps with dips to about 50fps when galloping and occasional dips in combat. The game looks really great. Running a GTX 970.

M.D

I figured this would be a good place to ask

Currently playing The Witcher 2 and using MSI Afterburner, it shows me the GPU temp is 65, but the GPU usage is 90%+ most of the time. Is that a reason to be concerned?

Anyone?

Also, my card was 60+ in Flotsam and 67-69 in the woods, is that a good temp?

pakkit

Banned
I'm just going to throw in a note of positivity. I've played 13 hours so far, and have yet to experience any problems running the game, outside of some stuttering and funny physics glitches (expected in a game of this scope). I'm running a mix of high/ultra settings on an AMD 270X with Hairworks off. Turning off V-Sync and frame limiters seemed to help too (and the game hasn't really exhibited screen-tears). I'm pretty happy so far, and all the visual effects that could be tweaked I expect to arise once the engine is opened up for nexusmods.

What are the tweaks to adjust pop-in. I freaking hate it! I have whole fields on wheat and people just popping onto my screen. I've tried upping the texture streaming budget - and some other distance settings, but nothing seems to work. This is while I'm speeding around on my horse etc.

I have tried a 360 and an Xbox One controller and everytime i try to move the with left stick, it's acting as if it were the right stick and is moving the camera around. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Kinthalis

Banned
What are the tweaks to adjust pop-in. I freaking hate it! I have whole fields on wheat and people just popping onto my screen. I've tried upping the texture streaming budget - and some other distance settings, but nothing seems to work. This is while I'm speeding around on my horse etc.

This isn't an LOD issue, as I noted in previous videos before release, this is almost like their culling algorithm is fucked. Entire NPC's are popping up right next to my Geralt, the moment my camera turns. Like the culling algorithm took them out when I wasn't looking, but forgot to put them in when I looked back.

Have you had any FPS gains from lowering it down from the default (which is 8x)? I'd like to try it at 2x. Also, are you using it just on Geralt or everything?

The default settings with Hairworks on for everything would drop me to ~19fps (I'm using 30fps lock) when Geralt was closer to the camera. With the Hairworks AA set to 4x it would only drop to ~26fps when Geralt was turned around and literally filling the screen with his head. This is at 2560x1440 resolution, by the way.

Chances are as long as hairy creatures don't fill the screen it could be alright.

owasog

To those who think a GTX 970 can do a locked 60fps with shadows on high, I suggest taking a visit to the dense forest east of White Orchard. Those trees are a framerate killer with shadows on high!!!! 57fps with 99% GPU usage. I turned Shadows down to medium and I'm back at 60fps with only 80% GPU usage. In the same spot!

Also, for the best smoothness I can only repeat what others have suggested:
- Turn off in-game vsync and framerate cap
- Turn on Adaptive Vsync
- Set max pre-rendered frames to 1.
- Install the game on an SSD

With these settings I no longer have any stutters or tearing.

Set HairWorks to 2x.
Still too much of a hit for my liking.

i7 2600k @ 4.1 // Gig GTX 970 OC 120&215 // 8GM RAM // SSD

Fought two wolves, tested with and without HW.

Without

Minimum FPS 58
Maximum FPS 68
Average 65 out of combat
Average 60 in combat

Geralt only

Minimum FPS 49
Maximum FPS 58
Same in and out of combat staying around 52

Full HairWorks

Minimum FPS 45
Maximum FPS 54
Average 51 out of combat
Average 48 in combat

G1 GTX 970

I guess that's good! Thanks!

I have the exact same card, those temps are bang on the money. You can go into high 70s without being really concerned, card's rated for something like up to 95C but I don't push it past 80 personally.

Kinthalis

Banned
What's the difference between blur and motion blur in this game? Should I disable both in a 144Hz monitor?

I believe "blur" is camera blur. Everythign gets blurred as you move the camera, and motion blur is object blur as things move thorugh the environment.

It's purely an aesthetic thing at FPS's over 30. See if you like the effect on and off.

b0bbyJ03

The default settings with Hairworks on for everything would drop me to ~19fps (I'm using 30fps lock) when Geralt was closer to the camera. With the Hairworks AA set to 4x it would only drop to ~26fps when Geralt was turned around and literally filling the screen with his head. This is at 2560x1440 resolution, by the way.

Chances are as long as hairy creatures don't fill the screen it could be alright.

Damn, that is a nice gain. I'm gonna do it. Is there a guide in the OT? didn't see it for this specifically.

Static Jak

Anyone who has tried messing with the AA on Hairworks through the ini file gain a big performance boost?

Heard that HairWorks uses MSAA x8 and that you can set it to x4, x2 or even off. Been off the forums all day so haven't kept up.

aravuus

Is there a way to disable the "Story Progress" scene when loading your saved game?

Changing ShowProgress to false in the .ini doesn't seem to do anything.

No afaik

Keep in mind that you can skip it as soon as the game has loaded, if you were under the assumption that the load times are longer cause of it.

Personally, I want to disable them so I won't have to listen to the awful, awful voice acting lol

Kinthalis

Banned
Set HairWorks to 2x.
Still too much of a hit for my liking.

i7 2600k @ 4.1 // Gig GTX 970 OC 120&215 // 8GM RAM // SSD

Fought two wolves, tested with and without HW.

Without

Minimum FPS 58
Maximum FPS 68
Average 65 out of combat
Average 60 in combat

Geralt only

Minimum FPS 49
Maximum FPS 58
Same in and out of combat staying around 52

Full HairWorks

Minimum FPS 45
Maximum FPS 54
Average 51 out of combat
Average 48 in combat

I have the exact same card, those temps are bang on the money. You can go into high 70s without being really concerned, card's rated for something like up to 95C but I don't push it past 80 personally.

Oh man... that's still a big hit. Well, I'm going to give it a shot at 2x anyways and see what happens.

So, there's a fix to get rid of the "Controller detected" message by tweaking one of the config files.

Has anybody found a similar fix that works for Keyboard & Mouse input without replacing everything with Xbox buttons?
I'm yet to find a solution for this unfortunately.

Top Bottom